Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Limerick-Ballybrophy Closure

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

the money is there to solve the issues on the rail network. the government do not wish to spend it on it and IE aren't interested in fighting for it.

Oh ? Where is this pot of cash ..?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

the money is there to solve the issues on the rail network. the government do not wish to spend it on it and IE aren't interested in fighting for it.
    I agree, they choose to starve it of funding, but that wont change!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Very surprisingly in a recent meeting in relation to the forthcoming National Investment Plan review (to be published potentially in March) between IE/NTA/DoF, IE have suggested a plan for a "major spend" to upgrade the Limerick-Ballybrophy/Waterford lines.

This has come as a surprise and I look forward to reading the proposal when published. Watch this space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

GM228 wrote: »
    IE have suggested a plan for a "major spend" to upgrade the Limerick-Ballybrophy/Waterford lines.

they're definitely closing so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Very surprisingly in a recent meeting in relation to the forthcoming National Investment Plan review (to be published potentially in March) between IE/NTA/DoF, IE have suggested a plan for a "major spend" to upgrade the Limerick-Ballybrophy/Waterford lines.

This has come as a surprise and I look forward to reading the proposal when published. Watch this space.

It is probably just an option, for consideration by the powers that be.

Let the government choose from the menu, and take the blame if funding is refused and the service withdrawn

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭metrovick001

While it's a pity to close public transport infrastructure, this line can't be allowed to continue at that cost. A motorway more or less runs alongside it, why would anyone who commutes to Limerick use a crawling train instead?

I just took a look at the times. The last train out of Limerick is at 16:55. How is anyone working a normal 9-5 in the city going to make that train?!
    That's exactly it....they don't want you to make that train.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭CarlosHarpic

loyatemu wrote: »

Unless they plan to put in a direct curve into the main line so the towns in between are on the Dublin to Limerick services (which would be a godsend for the line) I agree, they are closing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Major Spend sounds like yeah upgrade track and signals but not increase the line speed!

Have they any plans to "upgrade" parts of current IC lines. IE are good at publishing these grand plans for 90% never comes to pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Major Spend sounds like yeah upgrade track and signals but not increase the line speed!

Have they any plans to "upgrade" parts of current IC lines. IE are good at publishing these grand plans for 90% never comes to pass.

It's a signal renewal programme.

Yes various plans for other parts of the network.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

Unless they plan to put in a direct curve into the main line so the towns in between are on the Dublin to Limerick services (which would be a godsend for the line) I agree, they are closing it.

there would still remain the level crossings to stop this dead. It's doomed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

It's a signal renewal programme.

Yes various plans for other parts of the network.

Ah yes, paper over the cracks. The passenger won't see a blind bit of difference then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

That's exactly it....they don't want you to make that train.

Why does Irish Rail want to cannibalise itself?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭CarlosHarpic

Isambard wrote: »
    there would still remain the level crossings to stop this dead. It's doomed.

a normal rail operator would be lobbying for a road bridge over it

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

loyatemu wrote: »

I was reading a book a while back (Trinity - made into a movie you can get on youtube called 'ByDawns Early Light' about a nuclear exchange and a hawkish successor takes over when they think the presidents dead and he has to wrestle for control - amazing book/movie).
    It starts with the General in charge of STRATCOM the nuclear command and he's thinking about how the computer malfunction and cause fake alerts by mistake. The congressman drag him up to the secret committe and read him the riot act about it, the convo always goes the same way, he says "well the computers are out of date, get me new computers"
    They ask how much a new system would cost
    Then suddenly go quiet and the hearing quickly comes to an end.

Is this like that? "this is what it would cost to fix this line and nobody uses it HINT HINT"?

Advertisement