Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flood risk in Drumcondra

Options
  • 15-11-2016 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hey,
    Was wondering what people think about houses in Drumcondra area flooding again? I know that considerable work has been carried out along Tolka since the flood in the early 2000's but with climate change just not sure of the long term effectiveness of those.
    Thinking of buying a house in the area but afraid in the long term flooding will be an issue...I know it's a bit of an unknown, just wondering what anyone with an imformed opinion thinks!
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭cupcake queen

Neasa1 wrote: »
    Hey,
    Was wondering what people think about houses in Drumcondra area flooding again? I know that considerable work has been carried out along Tolka since the flood in the early 2000's but with climate change just not sure of the long term effectiveness of those.
    Thinking of buying a house in the area but afraid in the long term flooding will be an issue...I know it's a bit of an unknown, just wondering what anyone with an imformed opinion thinks!
    Cheers

If you are buying with a mortgage you will need to check that the house is insurable. Some of the houses very close to the river (along Botanic Ave for example) can be costly to insure. We looked at buying a seemingly low priced house on that road earlier in the year and were told by the EA to contact insurers before bidding. The response we got from the insurance company was that it was a flood risk. However if you go a bit further away from the river I'm sure you would have less of an issue. I used to live off homefarm road in upper Drumcondra which is obviously a good bit uphill from the river and flooding was never an issue. Some parts of Drumcondra are actually on quite a height. I would look there or else find out about insurance for those houses that youre not sure about.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭con1982

Try floodmaps.ie for an initial insight into historic flooding in the area.

The local authority drain staff will have the most recent information.

Advertisement