Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small moped licence requirement

• 15-11-2016 7:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭

Hi

I have full B class licence. Thinking of getting a small moped / scottie.

What are the licence requirements? I was talking to some fellows and was told that under a certain engine size, I don't need a bike licence.. What's the truth.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Depends on when you got the B licence and what cc the scooter is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭iwantthat

I got full licence in 2008. If i can get away with not having a licence, any cc engine would do. Dublin traffic is getting terrible. Want to use it to commute to office and back.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I thought a 50cc moped licence could be added to the B for free?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

kceire wrote: »
    I thought a 50cc moped licence could be added to the B for free?

Not since 06? AFAIK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It would be written on your licence?

Mine has it but it's a bit older. You got M and W categories back in 2000.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Pedro K

iwantthat wrote: »
    I got full licence in 2008. If i can get away with not having a licence, any cc engine would do. Dublin traffic is getting terrible. Want to use it to commute to office and back.

If you want to get on two wheels you'll have to do theory test and IBT regardless of engine size. The whole category B with the moped add on thing stopped in '06.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,494 ✭✭✭✭elperello

You might consider an electric bicycle as an alternative.
    There are some very good ones available now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Any full B licenses issued before September 2006 were eligible to have a scooter of under 50cc used

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

elperello wrote: »
    You might consider an electric bicycle as an alternative.
    There are some very good ones available now.

you are limtied to 250 watts and 25km/h though before licence and insurance are required
    http://irishcycle.com/2015/07/08/transport-minister-questioned-on-powerful-electric-bicycles/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,030 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

you are limtied to 250 watts and 25km/h though before licence and insurance are required
    http://irishcycle.com/2015/07/08/transport-minister-questioned-on-powerful-electric-bicycles/

That's only if the Gardaí actually enforce the law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

If it says AM on your license, you can have a very small scooter (50cc, 40kmh max). If you got your license after 2006 it probably doesn't say it.

Your other options are a 3 wheeler like the piaggio MP3. However I'd advise against it unless you were going to get some proper motorbike training. I know a lad who got one of these and did the IBT on it to get his license anyway, and rode it in the meantime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

gerrowadat wrote: »
    If it says AM on your license, you can have a very small scooter (50cc, 40kmh max). If you got your license after 2006 it probably doesn't say it.

This is it.

If the OP earned the entitlement to cat B and had it added to their licence before October of 2006, they would automatically receive the entitlement to AM and W. Since October 2006, the only automatic entitlement you receive for passing the B test is W.

What really matters is what's on your licence. The motor tax offices had a nasty habit of only issuing a licence with the category the test had been passed in. It's quite common to see licences that only hold category B even if the driver also held the entitlement for cat AM. If a driver is in any doubt about whether they hold an entitlement that may not be appearing on their physical licence, they should call the NDLS and check before the entitlement expires.

Lots of drivers who passed their test in the 80s and before received automatic entitlements for AM, B, BE, W, C1 and C1E for passing the car test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭iwantthat

Thanks for everyone for their input.
    So the conclusion i have come to is that i have to sit a theory test exam once again to drive a bike or else go down the root of the buying an electric bike.
    Both are not bad options i guess. Would have great if automatic inclusions were still a thing.
    Anyway, thanks again everyone for your input.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

iwantthat wrote: »
    Thanks for everyone for their input.
    So the conclusion i have come to is that i have to sit a theory test exam once again to drive a bike or else go down the root of the buying an electric bike.
    Both are not bad options i guess. Would have great if automatic inclusions were still a thing.
    Anyway, thanks again everyone for your input.

You don't necessarily need to do the theory test again. Have a look here

Don't forget that if you don't hold the full AM entitlement from before and end getting a learner permit. The learner category has to be validated by completing IBT for the right categorie(s) or you don't have a legitimate learner permit.

Advertisement