Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chef trial next week, zero experience.

Options
  • 15-11-2016 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

I've a trial in a great restaurant next week and I've never been on a culinary course or had a job in a professional kitchen before but the head chef is giving me a chance and I would like to know what to expect I'll be doing apart from chopping onions and what I should bring?Probably should have asked him this myself lol

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

manofcavan wrote: »
    I've a trial in a great restaurant next week and I've never been on a culinary course or had a job in a professional kitchen before but the head chef is giving me a chance and I would like to know what to expect I'll be doing apart from chopping onions and what I should bring?Probably should have asked him this myself lol

You'll be going in as commis chef. Largelly chopping, peeling, plating etc.

Listen and work hard and keep a cool head and You'll be grand.

Commits chefs get promoted if they're any good. Turnover of staff is usually quite quick. A good opportunity if you are dedicated and learn quick.

Call the chef early afternoon and ask him what to bring. Do not call him during service. 5-11.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

NEVER put knives or anything else sharp in sinks. Always leave them on the side where they can be seen.

Try to get a bit of knowledge about hygiene rules before you start. It's all googleable. Particularly things like the right chopping boards, (they're colour coded) hand washing and cross contamination.

It's easy enough stuff but might help you impress them a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Be prepared to work hard and work long hours. I have a mate who is a chef - the kitchen prob isn't going to be like Gordon Ramsey would have you believe (swearing, shouting abuse etc), but it will likely be fast paced, as the previous poster says keep the head and you will be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Google HACCP, its like a food safety standard practice. The head chef knows you have no experience but learning some HACCP will prove you have the desire, plus if you can walk around a kitchen and know things like why there is a sheet beside the blast chiller and what's on it or what all the tags are stuck to food in the fridge, it will impress the chef.
    Plus you may have to learn it anyway, so it will be a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 manofcavan

Well the guy just called and told me he's got someone from the local college and doesn't need me anymore, story of my life.

• Advertisement
Advertisement