Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gymnastics bar

• 15-11-2016 7:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My 12 year old daughter is mad into her Gymnastics and is forever doing cart wheels and all kinds of manoeuvres in the house.

She desperately wants a Practice Bar for Xmas which she can use both indoors (if we can keep the space clear) and outside on a patio if the weather is good but two things concern me:-

1. This fairly basic looking structure will cost €350 before buying a decent mat to break her falls!!

2. I'm not sure how long she's get out of it as it only extends to 1.5m and she's almost that tall now!!

Any suggestions or help most appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

From the thread title I thought this was some new hipster venue with weights at one end and a bar at the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭54and56

Zillah wrote: »
    From the thread title I thought this was some new hipster venue with weights at one end and a bar at the other.

Good idea :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Join the local gymnastics team, own equipment, monthly fees, out of your hair for a while?

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Join the local gymnastics team, own equipment, monthly fees, out of your hair for a while?

It's the bloody local gymnastics club which is the source of the problem. She trains with them and wants the bars for training at home!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

what level is she at because as she gets better most gymnastics clubs will have them training more frequently, the wifes sister is a gymnastics coach and her two kids are 8 and 10 and both at the top level in ireland.

She has a beam at home (set about a foot off the floor - like this one)and a standard pull up bar set at chest/head height (you can vary it) which is good for rollovers, pull ups, toes to bar etc this is the one she has

• Advertisement

Thanks Transform, shes been doing gymnastics a couple of years but its only a once a week thing and she hasn't been doing any serious competitions, yet anyway. She's very serious about her Hockey but also just loves gymnastics and is forever practising at home. It might just be a phase she's going through but as you say if she is indeed serious about it she might start training more frequently and that may reduce the requirement for getting some home equipment!!

Thanks Transform, shes been doing gymnastics a couple of years but its only a once a week thing and she hasn't been doing any serious competitions, yet anyway. She's very serious about her Hockey but also just loves gymnastics and is forever practising at home. It might just be a phase she's going through but as you say if she is indeed serious about it she might start training more frequently and that may reduce the requirement for getting some home equipment!!
    id buy what ive suggested as that bar you posted is a serious set up and takes up a ton of space (so does the beam i mentioned also)
    if she was really good/serious and in a gymnastics club that competes (not all of them do) then she would have been moved up in the grading, its a fantastic base for all sports so keep her at it but getting really good is a 20yrs per week gig

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Red6

Hi

I'm hoping to buy some panel mats for my 11 year old daughter to practice gymnastics at home. Any advice of where I can buy them would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Red6 wrote: »
    Hi

I'm hoping to buy some panel mats for my 11 year old daughter to practice gymnastics at home. Any advice of where I can buy them would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    too small or buy two?
    http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/products/childrens-ikea-products/children-3-7/toys-play/plufsig-folding-gym-mat-green-art-10262831/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Transform wrote: »
    a standard pull up bar set at chest/head height (you can vary it) which is good for rollovers, pull ups, toes to bar etc this is the one she has
    Bars like these appear in lidl or aldi the odd time, for around 6.99. Unless there is something special about that bar that I am missing?

It does look like it has foam the entire length of it, and of course is branded so that could be the higher cost.

I had bars painted with rubberised paint, and had mountain bike inner tube on one for grip. They can be wrapped in tennis/hockey tape too.

This one is 12.29 on offer
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9032639/Trail/searchtext%3EPULL+UP+BAR.htm

It has a lower max weight rating (not a concern for a 12 year old girl!), and foam is not the full way.

This site is handy for checking argos stock http://checkargos.com/

EDIT: checking the argos reviews many are saying the dearer everlast one was better than previous bars they had.

• Advertisement
Advertisement