Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in a yurt

Options
  • 15-11-2016 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭

hi

Just a few questions

--Do you require planning permission to live in a yurt? I've read that if you live in it for 6 months or less than it doesn't require planning?
    So I take it one must contact the local council and declare the intention and provide proof that it will only be used for 6 months etc? Is this a strict ruling if its correct?

--If one has the aim of eventually building a house, can the yurt be part of the planning in the same site? I believe this is the case with mobile homes.

--Anyone have experience living in a yurt in Ireland and care to share thoughts on the experience?

Thanks very much :)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

keryl wrote: »
    hi

Just a few questions

--Do you require planning permission to live in a yurt? I've read that if you live in it for 6 months or less than it doesn't require planning?
    So I take it one must contact the local council and declare the intention and provide proof that it will only be used for 6 months etc? Is this a strict ruling if its correct?

--If one has the aim of eventually building a house, can the yurt be part of the planning in the same site? I believe this is the case with mobile homes.

--Anyone have experience living in a yurt in Ireland and care to share thoughts on the experience?

Thanks very much :)

You plan to live in it so it needs full planning permission.
    Then full compliance with our building regulations.

Short answer in my opinion is no, you cannot live in it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

keryl wrote: »
    hi

Just a few questions

--Do you require planning permission to live in a yurt?
    on a green field site where it is not ancillary to an existing dwelling, Yes
    I've read that if you live in it for 6 months or less than it doesn't require planning? yurt?
    false
    So I take it one must contact the local council and declare the intention and provide proof that it will only be used for 6 months etc?
    yurt?
    No, apply for planning permission for dwelling and waste treatment system, and yurt
    Is this a strict ruling if its correct? yurt?
    There is a fine. It's against the law.

--If one has the aim of eventually building a house, can the yurt be part of the planning in the same site? I believe this is the case with mobile homes.yurt?
    as above

Advertisement