Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice please

Options
  • 15-11-2016 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi all, I'm new to boards and would just like some advice please as I am at a loss here .
    I am working in a care centre for the past few years. I initially loved the work however, it is very difficult and extremely Stressful and quite frankly it has taken a toll on me and every aspect of my life, my relationship is suffering, my general health and my mental state I often feel so down and out about going back there day after day.

I believe the management are to blame they have minimum staff on (often short ) the workload is impossible and unrealistic deadlines for duties and paperwork...rosters are never done on time no one has a clue what day they are on or off. I could go on and on about how wrong this place is run. It's unbelievable.

I have a had enough! I desperately want to hand in my notice i have to give them one month . I applied for hundreds of jobs and havent had a single reply! I don't want to hand in my notice without having another job lined up but I feel I have no choice. While i know im lucky to have a job, Nothing is worth feeling like this.

Any advice would be so much appreciated
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Get some good advice on your cv and keep looking.

Get out as quick as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Go to your doctor, they'll likely put you out sick for a few weeks, which you can use to job-hunt properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 headoverheels

_Brian wrote: »
    Get some good advice on your cv and keep looking.

Get out as quick as you can.

Thank you for the reply, I will look into doing this.

Go to your doctor, they'll likely put you out sick for a few weeks, which you can use to job-hunt properly.

Thank you for the reply, I thought about doing this but I was putting it off due to the fact that it could possibly open up a can of worms if I did get a new job later on. Would I have to explain to my new employer that I was out sick from my previous work place?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

agency, apply now, on line.

Until you find something better

• Advertisement

tinner777 wrote: »
    agency, apply now, on line.

Until you find something better

Thank you for the reply, I did apply to local agencies but have heard nothing as of yet but fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

OP may i ask what type of care center it is? I work in a psychiatric LSU myself and often there are means to reach out. But if your health suffers get out now, im 34 years old and had a heart attack due to work stress and also outside stress, NOTHING is worth it. If your embarrassed about the situation you can PM me but you should be proud for reaching out in any form.

Thank you for the reply, I did apply to local agencies but have heard nothing as of yet but fingers crossed!

I'd ring them mate, where you based? You could be working 24hrs a day in cork.

I'd ring them mate, where you based? You could be working 24hrs a day in cork.

I'm actually in cork myself, believe it or not I have applied to so many that I've lost count. usually with agencies there is a long process, medical, garda vetting, ect..
    So I'm wondering are alot of places put off by the fact thay i have to give notice of one month to my workplace now. Sometimes these places are looking for someone who can start immediately.

I'm actually in cork myself, believe it or not I have applied to so many that I've lost count. usually with agencies there is a long process, medical, garda vetting, ect..
    So I'm wondering are alot of places put off by the fact thay i have to give notice of one month to my workplace now. Sometimes these places are looking for someone who can start immediately.

Why you telling agencies that you'll have to give a months notice?? As I say ring them in the morning.

Given you're working in care you should be fine, agencies will employ you whilst waiting for clearance.

• Advertisement

OP may i ask what type of care center it is? I work in a psychiatric LSU myself and often there are means to reach out. But if your health suffers get out now, im 34 years old and had a heart attack due to work stress and also outside stress, NOTHING is worth it. If your embarrassed about the situation you can PM me but you should be proud for reaching out in any form.

Thank you so much for replying, how awful for you that suffered so much due to work. I hope you are in better health now. I am in a private residential home for the elderly.
    unfortunately the people at the top have ruined every aspect of this job
    They do not undrerstand the pressure or stress they put staff under..I have spoken out a number of times in work and to hr about various issues but nothing every changes.

It took me a long time to realise that I am only a number to them and if I leave it will be replaced. I'm only 26 but feel 50 odd!

Thank you so much for replying, how awful for you that suffered so much due to work. I hope you are in better health now. I am in a private residential home for the elderly.
    They do not undrerstand the pressure or stress they put staff under..I have spoken out a number of times in work and to hr about various issues but nothing every changes.

It took me a long time to realise that I am only a number to them and if I leave it will be replaced. I'm only 26 but feel 50 odd!

Tough work, you considered nursing?

Before i worked in the LSU unit i worked as maintenance in in 2 quiet elderly homes, was amazing at the beginning but started to notice things that i could not agree with such as some staff killing themselves and others not giving a flying ****, if your inclined that way it really takes its toll on you. Its a rewarding job at times but there is also watching people you get close to on the likes of palliative care that leave us and again if inclined you get used to it or worse hate yourself for getting used to it.

Then theirs the management, this will rarely change in health care it is a business to them and unfortunetley you do feel like nothing but a number sometimes,. But id echo others advice and ring care home first thing in the morning, and also agency work ring dont email.

Ask HR if the company has a outreach call line or info for employees if struggling.

Speak to someone you trust and trust your self and your gut feeling.
    You WILL be hired in healthcare quickly (i work in the UK) if you want the job.

Dont get down on yourself as its not failing leaving a bad job its a credit to you that you relised you need advise and want to move to something better.

Tough work, you considered nursing?

Yeah it's tough but it's rewarding in some ways too. I did consider nursing at one point however I'd imagine with the way things are in this country id be going from one badly paid and stressfull job to another. I'd eventually like to come out of this work altogether and go back to college partime if can.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭10 Carrolls

Why do you have to give them a months notice? The length of notice depends on how long you're working there. It doesn't matter what it says in your contract, you may be able to negotiate a shorter period of notice.

Yeah it's tough but it's rewarding in some ways too. I did consider nursing at one point however I'd imagine with the way things are in this country id be going from one badly paid and stressfull job to another. I'd eventually like to come out of this work altogether and go back to college partime if can.

Fair enough. As i say ring the agency, leave your current job, and go to college. :)

Yeah it's tough but it's rewarding in some ways too. I did consider nursing at one point however I'd imagine with the way things are in this country id be going from one badly paid and stressful job to another. I'd eventually like to come out of this work altogether and go back to college part time if can.

Ill get my boss to hire you in 2 seconds flat. You will get a 1.5K relocation fee from ireland to Kent UK and apply to to in house training and become a nurse. Between then work as a carer and the senior, Part time work part time collage and by the time you are 30 you will have a degree or another one and start on good money and work anywhere you like afterwards.

See offers will come when you grab them by the balls and reach out and again should be proud of yourself asking advice, i wish i had done something similar when i was in your position.

Before i worked in the LSU unit i worked as maintenance in in 2 quiet elderly homes, was amazing at the beginning but started to notice things that i could not agree with such as some staff killing themselves and others not giving a flying ****, if your inclined that way it really takes its toll on you. Its a rewarding job at times but there is also watching people you get close to on the likes of palliative care that leave us and again if inclined you get used to it or worse hate yourself for getting used to it.

Then theirs the management, this will rarely change in health care it is a business to them and unfortunetley you do feel like nothing but a number sometimes,. But id echo others advice and ring care home first thing in the morning, and also agency work ring dont email.

Ask HR if the company has a outreach call line or info for employees if struggling.

Speak to someone you trust and trust your self and your gut feeling.
    You WILL be hired in healthcare quickly (i work in the UK) if you want the job.

Dont get down on yourself as its not failing leaving a bad job its a credit to you that you relised you need advise and want to move to something better.

You literally described how I'm feeling in one!
    That's exactly how healthcare is too some people breeze through not giving a damn.
    Others give their blood, sweat and tears and I have worked with them all!

Thank you so so much for the advice its nice to know someone has expeirenced the same things.

X

Fair enough. As i say ring the agency, leave your current job, and go to college. :)

Thank you so much for all the advice, I'll keep you posted on here 😊

Why do you have to give them a months notice? The length of notice depends on how long you're working there. It doesn't matter what it says in your contract, you may be able to negotiate a shorter period of notice.

Oh really?! I wasn't aware of this?!
    They made it clear on my contract is one months notice..

• Advertisement

Ill get my boss to hire you in 2 seconds flat. You will get a 1.5K relocation fee from ireland to Kent UK and apply to to in house training and become a nurse. Between then work as a carer and the senior, Part time work part time collage and by the time you are 30 you will have a degree or another one and start on good money and work anywhere you like afterwards.

See offers will come when you grab them by the balls and reach out and again should be proud of yourself asking advice, i wish i had done something similar when i was in your position.

I'm sorry to hear you were in a similar situation its truly awful, everybody in the healtcare sector and work alike should be valued in the workplace afterall, we give our everything to help others.

If everything else falls through I just might take you up on that offer 😉
    Thank you so much for replying!

Advertisement