Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitting a ceiling light problem.

Options
  • 15-11-2016 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭

Recently purchased a ceiling light from lidl. Came with a remote. Book says it can be controlled from the wall and remote after 2-3 cycles.
    http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/thurs-8th-oct-livarno-lux-led-ceiling-light-with-remote-control-29-99-lidl-2292878

Took down the existing light to reveal 3 cables all with 3 wires in each. Cable 1 and 2 had a brown, blue and earth. Cable 3 had 2 brown and an earth. The light has a brown and blue to connect to.

Got a trainee electrican on saturday to try fit it. Got it working but only by using the remote. He tried lots of different combinations but couldn't get the wall switch to work. By the end he had the 4 brown from the roof attached to the brown of the light and the 2 blue attached to the blue of the light. Earth attached to the frame.

Do I need a different electrican? I can knock it of at the fuse box and rewire it but don't know where to wire them to. Any ideas? Few pictures attached.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭irishkopite 2011

Connect all the blues to N on the light fitting, connect all the earths to the earth terminal. Then connect one of the browns of cable 3 to the live position on the light fighting. Finally connect all the remaining browns together in a separate connector, this should work.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭A Law

Brilliant thanks, I'll give it a go 2moro and let u know how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Gashmuncher

You need a new electrician, it is clear that the guy you have does not know the basics. The brown, blue and Earth cables are the feed in and the loop to the next light on the circuit. The two Browns and Earth are the feed down to and back from the switch (twin Browns). Connect the brown from the fitting to one of the Browns from the twin brown. Then connect all the rest of the Browns together. Connect all blues together including the blue from the fitting. Then connect all the earths together. Switch will now make and break the live to the light. Please note it will not be possible to switch the light on with the remote if the wall switch is off.
    If your so called electrician could not figure this out, he has a lot to learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭crasy dash

First and most important thing i would do is find the supply and isolate the circuit leaving the cables exposed like that is not good practice.
    Contact another registered electrician should only take a few min to do it with the help of a meter

Very hard to give accurate advice just looking at pictures and assuming that is how the person wired it have come across too many places where the earths core were used as a phase or neutral.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭A Law

Thanks lads. Started it Saturday morning and had to turn off the fuse for the lights. He was the only person who I could get at short notice, didn't fancy leaving the wires exposed and needed to have lights for the weekend. I'll get onto a proper electrican tomorrow.

• Advertisement
Advertisement