Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employing Spouse as Self-Employed Owner

Options
  • 15-11-2016 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Dear all,

I am considering renting a small workspace inside a pre-existing hair and beauty salon.

I would like to set it up so that my wife is working for me, essentially doing various therapy and treatments whilst I would be the business owner/promoter/marketer etc.

Is this a possible business model that would be straightforward enough to set up or are they any legal considerations that would make it complicated?

Many thanks,
    MM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭mrawkward

If she is an employee, costs will increase with Employers liability insurance, employer PRSI etc. Why would you want to do this? In such a tiny operation with one productive worker and one manager how could you expect to make any money out of it after her remuneration and other costs?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jetsetdublin

Thankyou very much for the advice.

To clarify, the main point with the business is so that I can show I am employed, as I am an EU citizen married to a non-EU national, and this is a legal requirement I must meet. I have other options, however, this is an ideal pathway to provide a stable income to meet that requirement.

I would be operating the business as a sole-trader/director/employee/secretary of the company etc (I'm really not sure which model or how to set this up yet). I would be involved in marketing, promotions and generally managing the accounts whilst my wife would be providing beauty-related services to clients in rented office space.

Whichever is the simplest, easiest model to use to set up the business with me being able to show I am employed is all I need.

The business space would be rented within an existing beauty salon.

Thanks in advance for your opinions and help.
    JSD

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭dbran

Sounds a bit dodgy to me.

dbran

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement