Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opinions on this automobile

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Check insurance with that massive engine!
    U.K. Import where that sort of well suited engine in a small car is acceptable. Not here though!

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭rvpalldway

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Check insurance with that massive engine!
    U.K. Import where that sort of well suited engine in a small car is acceptable. Not here though!

Ok cheers. I threw it into a few online insurances company's and it seems ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Massively over priced IMO.

Make sure you can insure the 1.4 too. Though I can;t see you getting into much trouble with the massive 74bhp on tap :pac:

It's €2k and from a main dealer. How is that overpriced?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

It's €2k and from a main dealer. How is that overpriced?

There seems to be a few of the same year for in and around the 1500 mark. These are generally the 1.2 (most polos are). the 1.2 is more desirable to someone learning to drive I would think from a tax and especially an insurance point of view. Taking that all into account the savings to be made would total to more than €1000 most likely. For these reasons I think it is over priced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'm surprised a main dealer is retailing a car of that age.

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    There seems to be a few of the same year for in and around the 1500 mark. These are generally the 1.2 (most polos are). the 1.2 is more desirable to someone learning to drive I would think from a tax and especially an insurance point of view. Taking that all into account the savings to be made would total to more than €1000 most likely. For these reasons I think it is over priced.
    1.2 is a horrid engine though. At the end of the day a proper main dealer can charge more. In this case it's the same price or maybe a few hundred more than ones for sale privately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

1.2 is a horrid engine though.

This cannot be said too often or too loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Conmando

Peace of mind with the Main Dealer. Try to get a 6mt warranty and a full tank of juice or €1500 with no warranty and no juice and take your chances.

Best of luck getting a 6 month warranty on a nearly 12 year old €2k car from a main dealer. You'd be lucky to get a set of mats off them.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    Best of luck getting a 6 month warranty on a nearly 12 year old €2k car from a main dealer. You'd be lucky to get a set of mats off them.

Learys Lissarda used to be a regular feature in the "dreamer of the year" thread before. This seems good value compared to their prices back then, but yeah I wouldn't be expecting any frills.

I thought they lost the franchise but it seems they are buddies with VW again?

It's a strange one, main dealers normally don't sell cars of that age or value unless it being sold as seen/trade sale and even then they don't want the agro of selling those cars to Joe Public who potentially tarnishes their reputation when they come back expecting a warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Conmando

Agree with that. Go in with a wad of cash (aka saucy offer) and take your chances if you are really after the car. They still have to sell you a car that is fit for purpose. How you treat it and maintain it has a big influence on how long more it will last.

I remember they used to do a few trade sales alright way back, old auto subarus and stuff that no God fearing Mid Cork man would touch with a barge pole.
    Probably this is as close to "sold as seen" as they are allowed to do when dealing with Joe Public.

Fit for purpose is a grey area imo and open to interpretation. How fit for purpose should an 11 year old used car be and for how long?

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭rvpalldway

Thanks for the replys everyone. I think Im going to give it a look, its only a small journey from cork city. I don't think I can go too far wrong a 05 polo for 2k if even that much from a decent garage and nct'd till October. Any other thoughts on the car, mileage is ok in my opinion.

Advertisement