Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

President 'The Donald' Trump and Surprising Consequences - Mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Scrawny mad blonde syndrome - as I've just diagnosed it!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The judges are giving both sides in the hearing over the travel ban case have been tough on both sides.

The judge is saying all they have received from Washington state are allegations rather than facts, and that they can't be expected to believe allegations.
    The judges said it can't be said to be discriminating against Muslims when it is only a small minority of the total Muslims in the world who are affected, and that 85% of Muslims can unaffected by the travel ban.

It is impossible to say how the judges will rule, but I think the judges were less convinced by the Washington state solicitor general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

It's just like calling torture 'Enhanced Interrogation'.

He's afraid to admit what it really is because it doesn't back up his beliefs ie his beliefs are more important than reality. He's not the only one around here like that though.

Yes the reality as presented by the mainstream media. Free of any context and without an ounce of political theater.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Mirror game

Water John wrote: »
    13,000 hanged in Damascus.
    KingBrian calls it prisoner mistreatment.

That's understatement at a whole new level.

Has Trump made any statement or tweet about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,716 ✭✭✭eire4

They look similar alright. They're also both detestable characters.

Pretty much every time I see her being interviewed I think of 1984's Newspeak.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

RobertKK wrote: »
    The judges are giving both sides in the hearing over the travel ban case have been tough on both sides.

The judge is saying all they have received from Washington state are allegations rather than facts, and that they can't be expected to believe allegations.
    The judges said it can't be said to be discriminating against Muslims when it is only a small minority of the total Muslims in the world who are affected, and that 85% of Muslims can unaffected by the travel ban.

It is impossible to say how the judges will rule, but I think the judges were less convinced by the Washington state solicitor general.

Reading Twitter it sounds like the DOJ are the ones floundering.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭rgossip30

Has Trump made any statement or tweet about this?

I am sure media source will try to blame him .Big Bad Don .

Does it not seem a little strange that Amnesty International comes out with this report on a Damascus prison right now as the Syrian gvt is in the middle of drafting a constitution for its country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭B_Wayne

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    Does it not seem a little strange that Amnesty International comes out with this report on a Damascus prison right now as the Syrian gvt is in the middle of drafting a constitution for its country.

Not really, since amnesty are constantly outputting reports like this... What part of the report is inaccurate or wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Water John

It's now AI's fault that 13,000 were hanged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,040 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Don't have much stock in the WH position. Here's a fun exchange between Tapper and Conway that rightly points out the administration is clanking pots and pans about moose-lamb terrorism but not a peep about anything else (case and point the POTUS has made no statement about Quebec)

http://www.mediaite.com/online/are-we-fake-news-jake-tapper-tears-into-kellyanne-conway-in-extremely-heated-interview/

Everything they have done and said and not done or said all indicate to anyone of sentience that this is about Islamaphobia.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭Christy42

No. Realistically for the next while it will be an awkward time for this to be published, it has also been for quite some time now. Whenever this got released you could see it seems strange in an effort to discredit the people uncovering this.

Really I find it strange that people are attempting to dodge around what was done in those prisons and try and give out about the people reporting it.

B_Wayne wrote: »
    Not really, since amnesty are constantly outputting reports like this... What part of the report is inaccurate or wrong?

More so the timing then the detail of the report. Might be an attempt to derail peace efforts speaking as someone who comes from a country with a history of sectarianism reports like these add nothing to attempts to resolve long standing issues especially when a war is ongoing. The jail is currently being used to house many extremists like any prison is. In terms of standards it is horrible but as i said the war is taking place.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Reading Twitter it sounds like the DOJ are the ones floundering.

CNN say:
    The female judge who is an Obama appointee will vote for Washington state.
    One of the male judges who is a Bush appointee will vote for the government.
    They think Judge Canby who is 85 and a Carter appointee will vote for the government.

More so the timing then the detail of the report. Might be an attempt to derail peace efforts speaking as someone who comes from a country with a history of sectarianism reports like these add nothing to attempts to resolve long standing issues especially when a war is ongoing. The jail is currently being used to house many extremists like any prison is. In terms of standards it is horrible but as i said the war is taking place.

Well no first you attempted to give out that they reported this at all instead of other issues (which they were reporting). Then you moved onto the timing. When would be a better time to report this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Amnesty International are in bed with people like George Soros.
    I wonder if their is a Russian on the board of Amnesty International.:rolleyes:

It almost sounds like you know that the report is most likely true so are left with fairly transparent deflections.

I can't wait for a "But Obama was also criticised by AI so the hanging were OK" or some other such rebuttal devoid of logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Mirror game

rgossip30 wrote: »
    I am sure media source will try to blame him .Big Bad Don .
    Those hanged were described as opponents of Assad and given that hangings are still likely going on every Monday and Wednesday morning, I think he should be asked how he now feels about his Syrian travel ban.

It almost sounds like you know that the report is most likely true so are left with fairly transparent deflections.

I can't wait for a "But Obama was also criticised by AI so the hanging were OK" or some other such rebuttal devoid of logic.

Personally for me AI lost a lot of credibility when they abandoned their founder's ideals and became more agenda based, so I would never give them any money.
    They have people like Soros for that, who also backed Hilary Clinton who wants intervention in Syria.

http://observer.com/2016/08/dc-leak-exposes-top-clinton-donor-george-soros-manipulating-elections/

• Registered Users Posts: 83,040 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

What is this obsession with George Soros and why do I see him being clutched to in so many conspiracy theories? Mostly accused of paying protestors to stage riots. It's about as credible as paid actors for terror attacks, and I find it bemusing.

Personally for me AI lost a lot of credibility when they abandoned their founder's ideals and became more agenda based, so I would never give them any money.
    They have people like Soros for that, who also backed Hilary Clinton who wants intervention in Syria.

http://observer.com/2016/08/dc-leak-exposes-top-clinton-donor-george-soros-manipulating-elections/

Deflect, deflect, deflect from the mass hangings as we don't like that story.

I mean does anyone deny the hangings took place. If not why should they not have reported them. Those are the questions that need to be answered to dismiss this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Hard to believe all these hangings took place in the last two weeks since Trump was elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Donal55 wrote: »
    Hard to believe all these hangings took place in the last two weeks since Trump was elected.
    They didn't. Nobody has suggested that they did, or that Trump is responsible for them. Try to keep up, Donal55!

The point is that Trump wants a total and indefinite ban on refugees from Syria, when this is what they are fleeing. At the same time he treats anyone who opposes the Syrian government which is doing this as a terrorist, or a supporter of terrorism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭B_Wayne

Overheal wrote: »
    What is this obsession with George Soros and why do I see him being clutched to in so many conspiracy theories? Mostly accused of paying protestors to stage riots. It's about as credible as paid actors for terror attacks, and I find it bemusing.
    The amount of conspiracies that I've seen in Soros at this stage... He's now an evil conspirator because Amnesty are exposing human rights abuses as they always have done. It's war and human rights abuses are okay apparently, war crimes apparently don't matter for certain users...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

It's because they don't want to seem anti-semitic by going after the jews so instead they create a scapegoat to target all their anti-semitic hatred.

The Trump supporters are obsessed with him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,750 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Posts deleted. Raise the standard and ditch the conspiracy theories please.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I only listened to about half an hour of the live stream last night, but I think you're misrepresenting the judges here. They very carefully didn't take positions in the way you've described; they asked questions of the lawyers.

In other words, rather than "the judges said it can't be said to be discriminating against Muslims when...", the judges asked the SG whether it could be said to be discriminating against Muslims when...

At first blush it may seem like a semantic distinction, but it's not. In your version, the judges appear to be pronouncing their verdict during oral arguments, which makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,422 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Especially considering the fact that the Koch Brothers and Rupert Murdock essentially astroturfed the 'Tea Party' into overthrowing the GOP with tens of million dollars in payments to professional campaigners and unlimited free media coverage on the Fox News network. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/29/opinion/29rich.html

George Soros funds some liberal causes, but he is nothing compared to the right wing 'foundations' and 'think tanks' that are funded by industry to oppose science and promote right wing politics.

Oh, and Donald Trump has been caught paying actors to pretend to be supporters at his events including when he announced his candidacy
    http://eqs.fec.gov/eqsdocsMUR/17044405316.pdf
    and continued to do this even as president when he loaded the press conference with paid supporters to laugh at his 'jokes'

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Akrasia wrote: »
    Oh, and Donald Trump has been caught paying actors to pretend to be supporters at his events

Fake news! Donald never pays anyone what he owes!

Sad!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

Those hanged were described as opponents of Assad and given that hangings are still likely going on every Monday and Wednesday morning, I think he should be asked how he now feels about his Syrian travel ban.

It would be a question i'd like to see asked. Underneath all this Assad causing terror in Syria is very much in line with putins ambition of destabilising the EU by whatever means available: in this case sending in a fresh wave of refugees.
    Anything and everything that the Trump/Bannon adminsitration does and says in this regard dovetails with Putins position on the EU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭rgossip30

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement