Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

President 'The Donald' Trump and Surprising Consequences - Mod warning in OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,750 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Christy42 wrote: »
    Deflect, deflect, deflect from the mass hangings as we don't like that story.

I mean does anyone deny the hangings took place. If not why should they not have reported them. Those are the questions that need to be answered to dismiss this.

I never mentioned the mass hangings, I said AI simply moved away from their founder's principles and AI have admitted that Soros has given them money, in Ireland, Amnesty International Ireland received money from Soros to promote abortion.
    He also funded Hilary Clinton and we know Hilary was upset with Obama over Syria.
    I just find AI lack the credibility they once did since they can be bought.
    It does not mean people were not executed in Syria, it just means the source is questionable given they can be bought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

RobertKK wrote: »
    I never mentioned the mass hangings, I said AI simply moved away from their founder's principles and AI have admitted that Soros has given them money, in Ireland, Amnesty International Ireland received money from Soros to promote abortion.
    He also funded Hilary Clinton and we know Hilary was upset with Obama over Syria.
    It does not mean people were not executed in Syria, it just means the source is questionable given they can be bought.

~90 words, refers to Soros by name twice, Hillary twice and Obama once.

No reference to Trump at all - deflect, deflect, deflect!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Christy42

By mentioning Syria and Amnesty you are referring to the hangings unless something happened that I missed.

Again what part of this story is in disrepute? You are not arguing that it did not happen so should Amnesty not have reported it? Repeating the question here.

You are attempting to deflect using vague accusations that have nothing to do with the specific event. In this particular case what should Amnesty have done differently? Unless it helps show that Amnesty should have done something differently then their funding is not of relevance. We can't say they should have done things differently without pointing out what they did wrong in this story.

~90 words, refers to Soros by name twice, Hillary twice and Obama once.

No reference to Trump at all - deflect, deflect, deflect!

What does a Syrian prison have to do with Trump?
    Given if the report is correct, it was happening well before the Teump presidency.

By mentioning Syria and Amnesty you are referring to the hangings unless something happened that I missed.

Again what part of this story is in disrepute? You are not arguing that it did not happen so should Amnesty not have reported it? Repeating the question here.

You are attempting to deflect using vague accusations that have nothing to do with the specific event. In this particular case what should Amnesty have done differently? Unless it helps show that Amnesty should have done something differently then their funding is not of relevance. We can't say they should have done things differently without pointing out what they did wrong in this story.

I don't believe everything Amnesty International puts out. They have a head who came from the US state department.
    They have another person who has links to Islamist extremism in a very important position.
    Then they receive a lot of money from various biased groups, who are not giving the money for nothing as seen with Amnesty Ireland.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/geopolitics.co/2016/06/19/soros-funded-amnesty-international-interferes-on-dutertes-decisive-drug-campaign/amp/?client=safari

That is an interesting read, AI is not that independent...

• Advertisement

What does a Syrian prison have to do with Trump?
    Given if the report is correct, it was happening well before the Teump presidency.

It was not a liberal poster who brought it up. I challenged a claim made in this thread.

Second of all I believe the link is that the actions were carried out by someone Trump is very keen in teaming up with feel absolutely free to argue that he should still ally with the Syrian government but this is the fact that links the events to decisions Trump is about to make. Who knows it could even make Trump change his mind or only ally with them conditionally (on respecting human rights) after this event. All related to Trump which is why I did not argue the first post on it was off topic.

It was not a liberal poster who brought it up. I challenged a claim made in this thread.

Second of all I believe the link is that the actions were carried out by someone Trump is very keen in teaming up with feel absolutely free to argue that he should still ally with the Syrian government but this is the fact that links the events to decisions Trump is about to make. Who knows it could even make Trump change his mind or only ally with them conditionally (on respecting human rights) after this event. All related to Trump which is why I did not argue the first post on it was off topic.

I believe in secular rule, not Sharia law. Not the FSA who told US people on the ground in Syria that they should leave or they will be killed.
    Assad is better than the alternatives if one is a minority.
    The uprising was funded by countries like the Saudis who want an Iranian ally removed from the region.
    The Saudis and Qataris who are accused of funding ISIS who are in areas not controlled by Assad...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

AI calculated the total figure of hanged persons by estimating 15-20 per week, or whatever, and multiplying that by x number of years.
    Its not like they actually counted 13,000 bodies in a mass grave.

Syria has obviously said the whole thing is completely false.

Nevertheless it does seem like the prison is a dodgy place, and people are executed there after very brief military court martial style "trials".

I wonder if you took the number of people killed by extra judicial execution during Irelands civil war period, and scaled up for equivalent population size to Syria, how the figures would compare.

I think this tells us what we already knew; the sooner the civil war there ends, the better.
    Hardly anybody these days thinks Assad can be defeated militarily by the rebels, so maybe its time for the international community to recognise that he is there to stay. Work with him to end the war ASAP, close the prison, rebuild Syria, and reverse the migration flow.

I believe in secular rule, not Sharia law. Not the FSA who told US people on the ground in Syria that they should leave or they will be killed.
    Assad is better than the alternatives if one is a minority.
    The uprising was funded by countries like the Saudis who want an Iranian ally removed from the region.
    The Saudis and Qataris who are accused of funding ISIS who are in areas not controlled by Assad...

As I said those are still arguments you can make without trying to discredit the report from Amnesty

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Seeing how Trump's popularity figures are falling can someone from the Republican party explain what they think he's doing wrong? I expect all Democrat leaning voters to say he's doing bad but from the numbers it has to add up Republican voters as well to get this low so why? He's doing what he said he'd do on the trail so why are people who voted for him now complaining about his politics/actions?

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Nody wrote: »
    He's doing what he said he'd do on the trail so why are people who voted for him now complaining about his politics/actions?

Maybe it's all the people who smugly told us that we were stupid for taking Trump literally instead of taking him seriously? Now that they've discovered that he actually was talking literally, and can't be taken seriously, they have buyers' remorse?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Seeing how Trump's popularity figures are falling can someone from the Republican party explain what they think he's doing wrong? I expect all Democrat leaning voters to say he's doing bad but from the numbers it has to add up Republican voters as well to get this low so why? He's doing what he said he'd do on the trail so why are people who voted for him now complaining about his politics/actions?

This is why. The contrast between Trump and these human beings is stark and telling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

Not exactly. For example, Trump supporters were 3:1 against removing Dodd-Franks. The 15 billion dollar Goldman Sachs cabinet wont have gone unnoticed. Mitch McConnell said today that he was happy with Trumps 'Republican' policies, some of which might be at odds with Trumps tea party base.
    His 'unpresidented' narcissist antics since election on twitter have repulsed some also.

As I said those are still arguments you can make without trying to discredit the report from Amnesty

One should look at who is the head of organisations, where the people have come from, who is financing them and then one can decide on their partiality.

I for a long time since Amnesty expanded from their original mandate, have took everything they do with a pinch of salt, this is no different, you will not have found me quoting AI on boards as a reputable source.

The organisation was founded by a staunch Catholic who was against abortion and for prisoner rights, and for people not to be made do things against their conscience.
    Now they are funded by people to promote abortion.
    I just question any organisation who has sold out and who can be bought to push a position by people who give the money.

One should look at who is the head of organisations, where the people have come from, who is financing them and then one can decide on their partiality.

I for a long time since Amnesty expanded from their original mandate, have took everything they do with a pinch of salt, this is no different, you will not have found me quoting AI on boards as a reputable source.

The organisation was founded by a staunch Catholic who was against abortion and for prisoner rights, and for people not to be made do things against their conscience.
    I just question any organisation who has sold out and who can be bought to push a position by people who give the money.

This is just going to go in circles. I don't care about the organisation. I care about the report. If there is anything dodgy about the report please say. You have yet to tie anything you have said to why this report might be dodgy (either through lying or omission of other details).

I also don't know whst abortion has to do with this or the Catholic founder.

This is why. The contrast between Trump and these human beings is stark and telling.
    Shouts Allahu Akbar while stabbing somebody, has an irrational hatred of dogs, and thinks of women as sexual prey.
    But "has never set foot in a mosque in his life". Yeah right.

recedite wrote: »
    Shouts Allahu Akbar while stabbing somebody, has an irrational hatred of dogs, and thinks of women as sexual prey.

You believe he was an Islamic terrorist?

I'd say he was a crazy French Muslim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

"My narrative is so confirmed in my head that no fact will change my opinion."

That's basically what you're saying.

This is just going to go in circles. I don't care about the organisation. I care about the report. If there is anything dodgy about the report please say. You have yet to tie anything you have said to why this report might be dodgy (either through lying or omission of other details).

I also don't know whst abortion has to do with this or the Catholic founder.

If you don't care about the organisation and just the report, and if the report is simply guessing, rather than hard facts.
    Fine, believe it. I am simply stating AI have a credibility issue with me.

Just as AI are on the Ibrahim Halawa case, but never mention he was on stage in Cairo, his father is a leading Muslim Brotherhood figure in Europe and that the MB were behind the incitement to attack Egyptian Christians.
    Yet they make out this person is very innocent.

I just don't find them credible. We can leave it there. We won't agree.

• Advertisement

I'd say he was a crazy French Muslim.

He was French.
    He was subsequently diagnosed with severe Schizophrenia.
    He was not a practicing Muslim.
    The parents of both victims do not believe their children's deaths had anything to do with Islam.
    Australian police and the Counter Terrorism Unit both said that the murders had nothing to do with Islamic terrorism.

Any thoughts on Trump and his cronies lying about the circumstances of their deaths?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,470 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Trump is giving out about how the courts are too politicized, which is ironic given that he campaigned largely based on promises to put conservative judges into the supreme court to overthrow Roe V Wade and protect gun rights
    Trump wrote:
    I won't call courts biased, so I won't. But they seem to be so political.

It would be so good for our justice system if they could just do what was right.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/02/08/donald-trump-dismisses-travel-ban-hearing-politics-us-waits/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭B_Wayne

Amnesty's stance on abortion is in very limited circumstances and was decided on by their membership. You go on about Trump having a mandate but Amnesty's stance have been thoroughly discussed and decided by their membership.

In relation to your obsession with Soros, it reeks of the same conspiratorial rubbish where people have labeled him as a Nazi. Instead of disputing the contents of Amnesty's report, you've questioned their credibility.

I do not support war crimes but apparently in certain scenarios you think it's unfair and "impartial" for a human rights organisation to report on them. It's clearly a global conspiracy in favour of not breaching human rights. Truly horrifying stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

The reason why Amnesty International report seems like making politics out of this is that their currently is a Syrian peace process ongoing and this report undermines efforts being made in that regard. The world knows that the US has been funding terrorists in Syria and one of Trump's election promises was to get out of the Muslim world and stop sponsoring Jihadi causes. This report focuses on a Syrian gvt prison. I don't see any report on FSA or other terrorist abuses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Kitsunegari

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Maybe it's all the people who smugly told us that we were stupid for taking Trump literally instead of taking him seriously? Now that they've discovered that he actually was talking literally, and can't be taken seriously, they have buyers' remorse?

Or the left are massively overreacting to his presidency. I haven't seen anyone who voted for Trump renounce their vote.

The left can keep screaming about how bad he is but as long as the Democrats have the likes of Schumer, Warren and Clinton in their ranks they won't be able to stop the Trump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

He will get sued for this. Surprised to see the tweet appearing on the POTUS account

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2017/02/08/donald-trump-nordstrom-ivanka-trump/97642622/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Akrasia wrote: »
    What i want to know is when did Americans turn into such cowards?

I asked the same after 9/11, you just look at the initial reaction it was panic and fear which turned into demands that somewhere, anywhere be bombed back to the stone age

the thing is their geography and power means that they've always been insulated from the realities that most of the world has faced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

oscarBravo wrote: »
    An interesting perspective on that:

The whole article is well worth a read.

the ironing of a yank writing this with a straight face

"We try to be careful in sorting moderate from extremist, civilian from militant, bystander from believer....The Russians have no concept of "collateral damage" in their attacks; it’s all tallied in the same column. If it ends up dead, it was a terrorist. "

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    The reason why Amnesty International report seems like making politics out of this is that their currently is a Syrian peace process ongoing and this report undermines efforts being made in that regard. The world knows that the US has been funding terrorists in Syria and one of Trump's election promises was to get out of the Muslim world and stop sponsoring Jihadi causes. This report focuses on a Syrian gvt prison. I don't see any report on FSA or other terrorist abuses.

You have yet to give a better time for this info to be released.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

If you don't care about the organisation and just the report, and if the report is simply guessing, rather than hard facts.
    Fine, believe it. I am simply stating AI have a credibility issue with me.

Just as AI are on the Ibrahim Halawa case, but never mention he was on stage in Cairo, his father is a leading Muslim Brotherhood figure in Europe and that the MB were behind the incitement to attack Egyptian Christians.
    Yet they make out this person is very innocent.

I just don't find them credible. We can leave it there. We won't agree.

You support Trump, a verified racist, liar and consummate conman, who runs an administration of liars who have their own 'alternate facts.'

Yet you find the credibility of AI to be questionable?

There is a word for this. Fanaticism.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement