Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

President 'The Donald' Trump and Surprising Consequences - Mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

RobertKK wrote: »
    Just saying what I heard said by one person on fake news, CNN.

Christ, is this going to be a thing now? Have you looked at how disproved this nonsense of fake news is? You'd be doing yourself a favour by following the Fact Checker column and twitter account from the likes of The Washington Post.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

No way he gets 4 votes - the appeals court was one Obama appointee, one Carter and one Dubya.

When a judge appointed by Dubya makes it unanimous, Trump's got nothing.

Trump's rumoured pick for Solicitor General has quit rather than defend this one in the SC: http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/318870-potential-solicitor-general-pick-withdraws-name

New favourite to take the role is Kelly Ann Conway's husband (!!)

We can't automatically assume that the judges will decide in line with party politics. That does them a huge disservice and basically demeans the SCOTUS.

Yes, in general their ideologies align with their nominations, but they are all very experienced judges who know the law. Their ethics should dictate that they apply/judge the law correctly, irrespective of allegiance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭Harika

Just saying what I heard said by one person on fake news, CNN.
    I know all cases the court hears do not end up in the Supreme Court which is what I was referring to, even if not explicitly.

http://www.americanbar.org/content/dam/aba/migrated/intelprop/magazine/LandslideJan2010_Hofer.authcheckdam.pdf

I couldn't find more recent data but it has the second worse rating with the Federal court having a worse rating than the 9th circuit.

Between 1999 and 2008 when it went to the Supreme Court:
    103 reversed
    33 vacated
    35 affirmed

Maybe they get more cases given they get more wrong outcomes?

More up to date data and what through my head was that depending on the circuit different types of cases will be predominant, something the author also acknowledges. http://scholarship.kentlaw.iit.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1169&context=ckjip
    Also Fox News is convinced that it will be overturned. Time for another betting pool again?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

Water John wrote: »
    Will the new AG run with DT or maybe like Tillerson, reign him back?

Jeff Sessions has been on Trumps campaign team from the early days. He was also the man who introduced Carter Page (under FBI investigation for collusion with Russia) to the Trump campaign. Sessions said he would recuse himself when Trump threatened a trial for H Clinton. In his hearing he was asked if he would recuse himself for an investigation into Trump team Russia contacts and Russian hacking. He said he couldn't say he hadnt read the hacking report.....
    This hacker was caught in Prague and was interviewed by FBI and CIA there. There is a warrant for his extradition. Russia are trying to get him back too obviously. Will be interesting to see what Sessions does.

His major role as far as Donald Trump is concerned is to: disrupt, stall, slow walk, kill: the 2 house investigations into Russian contacts;;;;;
    the 5 agency FBI led investigation into Trump campaign contacts with Russia;;;;;;
    the FBI FISA investigation into comms between Trump tower and Alpha back;;;;;;;
    the FBI investigation into Flynns policy contacts with Russian officials prior to inauguration;;;;;;;
    the Pentagon investigation into Flynns illegal payment by Russia Today and other Russian monies;;;;;;
    the DOJ investigation into the NY FBI, Rudy Giuliani. Eric Prince and Donald Trump into collusion and collaboration around the Comey letter.

That will keep him busy.
    With all of the above going on surely it can be seen that some of the reason for the crazy whielwind opening few weeks was so that the media would keep their eye off the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

dudara wrote: »
    We can't automatically assume that the judges will decide in line with party politics.

I know - I just pointed out that the lower courts did not line up with party politics.

If the SC did, it would be 4-4 and the stay remains in place, but I think Kennedy will vote against Trump.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Christ, is this going to be a thing now? Have you looked at how disproved this nonsense of fake news is? You'd be doing yourself a favour by following the Fact Checker column and twitter account from the likes of The Washington Post.

One can't throw in a bit of humour into posts, without it being taken 100% seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

One can't throw in a bit of humour into posts, without it being taken 100% seriously.

Honestly, judging by the **** some people actually believe coming from Trump and his camp, I can't tell when people are joking or not anymore when discussing politics.

Climate change skepticism, vaccines causing autism, millions of illegals "rigging" the election in the eventual losing candidates favour, pizzagate... the list goes on and on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭BabyCheeses

I have had too many situations where I assumed humour to later find I was wrong.

For example. People who think Mexico is paying for the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

Honestly, judging by the **** some people actually believe coming from Trump and his camp, I can't tell when people are joking or not anymore when discussing politics.

Climate change skepticism, vaccines causing autism, millions of illegals "rigging" the election in the eventual losing candidates favour, pizzagate... the list goes on and on.

This confusion is the goal of disinformation.

Usually they throw good info in with the bad. Not with Trump tweets though.

Trump avoids damaging stories like the plague.

Question media should ask is what is Trump NOT tweeting about?

And if he is tweeting absurdly, what stories is he distracting from?

I have had too many situations where I assumed humour to later find I was wrong.

For example. People who think Mexico is paying for the wall.

Most who post here should know by now if they have read my posts, that I regularly use CNN as a source of information on the politics forum.
    I do think this forum needs a bit more humour, given everything seems to be taken so seriously, and so many on both sides with knickers in knots over Trump.

• Advertisement

President Trump when asked if he would consider a new executive order on immigration, he said "Nothing's off the table".

• Registered Users Posts: 14,372 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

President Trump when asked if he would consider a new executive order on immigration, he said "Nothing's off the table".

When Trump says "Nothing's off the table", I believe him.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Yep, he was wondering out loud during the campaign why the US hardly ever nukes its enemies.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,372 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Yep, he was wondering out loud during the campaign why the US hardly ever nukes its enemies.

Yeah. He's actually an unintelligent person. Assuming for a moment that he is well-intentioned and that he has Joe Soap, the US and American society's best interests at heart the problem is that he is out of his league as POTUS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Unlike some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,573 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

ThisRegard wrote: »

My new way of looking at "fake news" is that its basically just news that Trump doesn't like. So it's good news.

Easy.

I got an alert on my phone from CNN it reads:

Mexico warns its citizens living in the US to "take precautions" and stay in touch with consular officials after the US deports an undocumented mother.

They are illegal, I have an undocumented cousin living in the US, if he gets deported at some stage, well it is not the fault of the US government, as there has been laws for years on this, and millions were deported under Obama.
    One would think something new is happening, when it is the same old, same old, with Mexico making a big deal over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Trumpski giving a press conference with the Jap PM, he is looking very angry :) pressure is getting to him. Poor old trump has to answer questions....

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

Trump says new measures next week to "keep country safe".

He says the threat of terrorism is much higher than American citizens realise.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,952 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Trump says new measures next week to "keep country safe".

He says the threat of terrorism is much higher than American citizens realise.

Trump says the ratings of the apprentice are terrible tune in next week so see what can be done to bump the ratings.

Trump says alot.

• Advertisement

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    Trumpski giving a press conference with the Jap PM, he is looking very angry :) pressure is getting to him. Poor old trump has to answer questions....

Looks no different than normal to me. He is concentrating on the translation of the Japanese into English.

Intel investing $7 billion in Arizona, based on a new tax regime.

listermint wrote: »
    Trump says the ratings of the apprentice are terrible tune in next week so see what can be done to bump the ratings.

Trump says alot.

Totally irrelevant post.

Especially as he was having a laugh last week about the Apprentice, which some took very seriously, even Arnie had a laugh about it, it was very jocular.

Last week we had people here saying Trump and Bannon are going to war with China.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Looks no different than normal to me. He is concentrating on the translation of the Japanese into English.

oh that must be it :) because he didn't have his translator's ear piece in when Abe was making his speech. But he still laughed at Abe's jokes what a f***ing idiot.

(a CNN reporter just confirmed that he never had the ear piece in)

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    oh that must be it :) because he didn't have his translator's ear piece in when Abe was making his speech. But he still laughed at Abe's jokes what a f***ing idiot.

(a CNN reporter just confirmed that he never had the ear piece in)

After your initial post that I replied to, it seemed he was holding something to his ear.
    He made an error with the press conference by ending it one question too early, as he didn't seem to know that a Japanese reporter had a scheduled question, but Shinzo Abe who is more use to it, sorted it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

He made an error with the press conference by ending it one question too early, as he didn't seem to know that a Japanese reporter had a scheduled question, but Shinzo Abe who is more use to it, sorted it.
    Saw that. I think Abe knew all about the question and wanted to make sure DJT answered it, in front of the whole world. It was an awkward one about Chinese expansion into the South China Sea. No doubt they will discuss this question further over the weekend, on the golf course.
    Its a zero sum game for DJT, because whatever he says to reassure the Japs on this subject will annoy the Chinese, and vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

So Flynn was breaching the Logan Act and undermining the Obama sanctions illegally, how long can the Trump shít show go on, everytime you think its at the end of the line it keeps on giving.
    • Ridiculousness over inauguration attendance numbers
    • Up til now unconstitutional Muslim ban
    • Defeat in the 9th Circuit
    • Nordstrom tweets
    • Conway's Alternative Facts
    • Spicer losing the plot at his presser yesterday
    • Conway's WH sponsored Ivanka advert
    • General Flynn being proved a liar and a law breaker

And that's just the highlights.....

recedite wrote: »
    Saw that. I think Abe knew all about the question and wanted to make sure DJT answered it, in front of the whole world. It was an awkward one about Chinese expansion into the South China Sea. No doubt they will discuss this question further over the weekend, on the golf course.
    Its a zero sum game for DJT, because whatever he says to reassure the Japs on this subject will annoy the Chinese, and vice versa.

He answered it competently,like a true politician, mentioned their long chat he had with Xi Jinping and how well they got on, but turned it into how the devaluing of the Yuan to keep his supporters happy.

The Chinese seemed pretty happy today.
    The Taiwanese seemed to be too, as they said the US remains their closest ally.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,573 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Its really beginning to show now that Trumps initial idea of running the country like he runs his business, just can't happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

He answered it competently,like a true politician, mentioned their long chat he had with Xi Jinping and how well they got on, but turned it into how the devaluing of the Yuan to keep his supporters happy.

The Chinese seemed pretty happy today.
    The Taiwanese seemed to be too, as they said the US remains their closest ally.
    Yep, I have to say DJT is doing a pretty good job at walking this tight-rope with China on one side, and Taiwan and Japan on the other, while still making it clear that he is putting America first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

recedite wrote: »
    Yep, I have to say DJT is doing a pretty good job at walking this tight-rope with China on one side, and Taiwan and Japan on the other, while still making it clear that he is putting America first.

DJT is not doing a good job of anything, he's been ridiculed in the Chinese press, outraged them with his contact with the Taiwanese Government and has had to walk back his position ever since, clearly a diplomatic masterclass.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement