Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

President 'The Donald' Trump and Surprising Consequences - Mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭johnny_tractor

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    California exit from what ? And sorry to answer your question. No I haven't.

it would be like galway leaving ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Wow watching Trudeau and Trump do a joint press conference and one is a leader who speaks inspiringly, and inclusively, and the other is Donald Trump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

demfad wrote: »
    Oh he has a very very checkered passed with connections to oil banking and to Vlad Putin.
    Exactly what connection has he got to Putin, apart from the obvious fact that both were born in Russia?
    And BTW it was potash mines, not "oil and banking".
    Another guy Shwarzman who heads Trumps CEO industry group and has known Trump for 40 years was there also. Shwarzman's company Blackwater has may be linked to the 19% of Rosfeld sold in December.
    Did you mean Blackstone?
    Blackwater is Erik Prince, who is a brother of Betsy DeVos.
    I have no idea what "Trumps CEO industry group" is supposed to mean.
    Are you alleging some impropriety by Blackstone? Its an investment firm.

So many conspiracy theories, its hard to keep track....

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭conditioned games

Inquitus wrote: »
    Wow watching Trudeau and Trump do a joint press conference and one is a leader who speaks inspiringly, and inclusively, and the other is Donald Trump.

Yea Trump is much better, cuts through the waffle and tells the truth. Trudeau is a bit like Obama full of sound bites prepared by his minders, yes we can and everything is great while the middle class continues to get poorer, establishment gets richer and the blinded feel all happy from listening to the inspiring waffle.

ACLU condemns "no platforming" by certain US universities, defends Free Speech. The timing of this seems to be in response to the Milo riots at UC Berkley.
    Many universities, under pressure to respond to the concerns of those who are the objects of hate, have adopted codes or policies prohibiting speech that offends any group based on race, gender, ethnicity, religion or sexual orientation.
    That's the wrong response, well-meaning or not.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,762 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

has anyone else heard about the california-exit,

it's science fiction level
    it would be like galway leaving ireland

These aren't up to standard for this forum. Please read the charter before posting again.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

It doesn't help that he's a pathological liar.

He's an incredibly smart guy, as is Bannon who wrote the innauguration speech with him.

These two are pulling the strings in the WH and it's easy to see how.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,422 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

recedite wrote: »
    ACLU condemns "no platforming" by certain US universities, defends Free Speech. The timing of this seems to be in response to the Milo riots at UC Berkley.

It's about time the ACLU stands up to that nonsense. Universities are not safe spaces, they're supposed to be the frontier of ideas. The bad arguments should be defeated with reasoned debate, not shouted down.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    California exit from what ?

The United States. Calexit, thay are calling it.

But last time any states tried to secede from the USA, there was something of a disagreement, and they were convinced not to.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

But last time any states tried to secede from the USA, there was something of a disagreement, and they were convinced not to.

Was that in 1861? I remember it well.

• Advertisement

Miller was very well aquanted white supremacist Richard Spencer in college.
    I love your non-stop conspiracy theories :)
    Folks like Miller and Jared Kuschner would be considered part of the Jewish intelligentsia (even Ivanka Trump has apparently converted to Judaism).
    Maybe Jews are the new white supremacists, who knows?
    I can see how they would be uncomfortable with large scale immigration from Islamist countries though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,450 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Same poster not up to standard on other threads too, Mods.
    Next post might be in German.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

It's never going to fly because one of the requirements is that the rest of the states vote to agree on it; it's going to be a political statement in terms of a middle finger to Trump though (as the vote is only for the politicians to start to investigate the possibility etc.) and I'd not be surprised if they start to throw up issues with their cash to fed money etc. or hold back what Trump wants to cut.

He's an incredibly smart guy, as is Bannon who wrote the innauguration speech with him.

These two are pulling the strings in the WH and it's easy to see how.

That's what I'm afraid of. Being a shameless liar is a skill that even average intelligent people can exploit to make themselves wealthy. But in the hands of someone clever, ambitious and ideologically motivated, the ability to look people in the eye and lie directly to their faces can be incredibly dangerous, especially if they're in a position of power akin to the inner circle of the white house

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

recedite wrote: »
    I love your non-stop conspiracy theories :)
    Folks like Miller and Jared Kuschner would be considered part of the Jewish intelligentsia (even Ivanka Trump has apparently converted to Judaism).
    Maybe Jews are the new white supremacists, who knows?
    I can see how they would be uncomfortable with large scale immigration from Islamist countries though.

It's not a wild suggestion, since both attended Duke around the same time, and there's sources who say the two were close.

The San Andreas fault is California's best hope of separation

• Registered Users Posts: 21,450 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Well the rest of USA, incl DT, would want to realise that Calif is the fifth biggest economy in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Lirange

Nody wrote: »
    It's never going to fly because one of the requirements is that the rest of the states vote to agree on it; it's going to be a political statement in terms of a middle finger to Trump though (as the vote is only for the politicians to start to investigate the possibility etc.) and I'd not be surprised if they start to throw up issues with their cash to fed money etc. or hold back what Trump wants to cut.

California is a net contributor to the federal budget. The give back in taxes more than they receive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Nody wrote: »

On the plus side Trump still has NASA in Texas & Florida.:) California might have Hollywood but the rest of the US has state of the art space tech and the future is space.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,557 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    On the plus side Trump still has NASA in Texas & Florida.:) California might have Hollywood but the rest of the US has state of the art space tech and the future is space.:cool:

Don't they have the ask the Russians to take astronauts up to the iss these days since the shuttle was decommissioned?

• Advertisement

Don't they have the ask the Russians to take astronauts up to the iss these days since the shuttle was decommissioned?

I keep hearing what is so wrong with good relations with the Russians and i myself will say the same. What is wrong with having good relations with Russia? This ain't the Soviet Union so i don't get the aggro.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

There are three major NASA sites in California. Ames Rearch Centre, Jet Propultion Lab, and Edwards Air Force Base, where the Neil Armstrong Flight Research Centre is, and where shuttles landed on occasion.

Also, it is home to some of Boeing, and much of the high tech industries.

That wouldn't mean much without the JPL (and CalTech). The equipment and facilities may be in those states but most of the brains behind it are on the west coast. Much of NASA's role has been shifting to the private sector anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,557 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I keep hearing what is so wrong with good relations with the Russians and i myself will say the same. What is wrong with having good relations with Russia? This ain't the Soviet Union so i don't get the aggro.

Have no issue at all with good relations with Russia I'm just pointing out that the US doesn't have such a great space programme these days.

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-most-least-dependent-on-the-federal-government/2700/

California is one of the least dependent states (on the federal government). Only four states are less dependent. Not surprisingly nine of the top 10 most dependent states are red states. Whinge about the government out of one side of their gob whilst imbibing through the other.

There are three major NASA sites in California. Ames Rearch Centre, Jet Propultion Lab, and Edwards Air Force Base, where the Neil Armstrong Flight Research Centre is, and where shuttles landed on occasion.

Also, it is home to some of Boeing, and much of the high tech industries.

Yes that is all on a Federal level. Federal property so the public would have to try claim ownership rights over those facilities. Not going to happen it would go all the way back to the supreme court who would decide in favour of the Federal gvt the only answer would be California to give up all ownership rights of federal facilities and agree with the National gvt to remove all federal properties and services from the state and then the Californian gvt can do whatever it wanted with the public land as from that moment on it would no longer be Federal operated but property of the Californian Republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭Christy42

Yea Trump is much better, cuts through the waffle and tells the truth. Trudeau is a bit like Obama full of sound bites prepared by his minders, yes we can and everything is great while the middle class continues to get poorer, establishment gets richer and the blinded feel all happy from listening to the inspiring waffle.

I am amused that the pathological liar with the sound bite of making America great again is being discussed as honest here. Which America has the highest murder rate for 45 years again (as a single example of a hoard of lies from him and his team) or has a gdp below 0?

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2016/mar/11/donald-trump/no-gdp-growth-not-zero-trump-says/

Course no matter how many lies his supporters will cheer him for telling it like it is. His lies are not even subtle - he may as well declare the sky is green at this point and would be called honest.

The future is space unless we screw up the space junk problem.Trump doesn't seem the type to invest in averting Long term global problems

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭weisses

This ain't the Soviet Union

The rocket technology used is definitely from that era ... :D

• Advertisement

If it was just a drive to bring Russia into the western fold, that would be great, but Trump is actively promoting the breakup of the EU, picking fights with Mexico, China, Iran, Australia.... While downplaying Russian crimes and endorsing Putin at every opportunity

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement