Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

President 'The Donald' Trump and Surprising Consequences - Mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Anybody replying with "But Hillary" or "But Obama" needs to be reminded of the following:

1. Barack Obama is jet-skiing in the Bahamas with Richard Branson.

2. Hillary is laughing her head off somewhere unknown.

Neither of them are the President of this Clown Show. Donald Trump is.

One month in and not one iota of concrete policy on a) repeal/replace Obamacare b) tax reform c) Jobs creation d) Infrastructure plan.

Yet we do have a) Mounting evidence of mass-collusion with a foreign power b) deregulating the financial sector so they work their magic c) de-regulation of the oil industry d) removing anti-corruption laws e) Trump making a fortune by charging dignitaries to stay at Mar-a-Lago (violating Emoluments Clause) f) Epic daily incompetence and, of course, g) The fastest ever removal of the NSA chief h) A Muslim Ban that is apparently not a Muslim Ban yet constantly called a Muslim Ban.

Trump is in over his head.

He has to go and soon.

The consequences are far reaching and global the longer this buffoon stays in power. Pence is at least competent which should be a basic requirement to be President.

When a clown is elected then you can expect a circus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I'd have to ask who the hell was the legal counsel for trump during his campaign and transition ? He or she clearly hasn't done a good job making sure the members of the team were clear on what they could and couldn't do until January 20th at 12:01pm.

It seems trump has discorvered that you don't bad mouth the US intellefence community and not get burnt.

Also the "old" media don't have an agenda on trump. I include both the MSM and fox in this, it's clear they'd prefer not to covering the mess this administration is creating by themselves. I mean even fox with its bias towards trump are having a hard time holding the party line on trump.

Problem is the latest leaks refers to the Trump campaign and contacts between them and Russian intelligence during the campaign. Trump, Pence, Flynn etc etc all deny this. Spicer denied it yesterday.

The GOP look like they knew that he was dodgy but risked it to keep power/terrified of their constituents turning on them.

Jeff Sessions was in the campaign (put there by Rebecah Mercer) so he may have been legal.

If Sessions doesn't recuss himself from any Trump investigation.....well only one conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So trump has changed his story again. He said Flynn was treated by the media very badly and is a good man. So why did he ask for his resignation then ?

I'm begging for someone in this administration to get the narrative on Gen. Flynn straight and stick to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Trump just parrots whatever Netanyahu says.

I'm telling you now, if they abandon the 2-state-solution and go to war with Iran, the world is going to fall to pieces real quick. ISIS are begging for USA to invade Iran and the Palestinians have had enough of this peace malarkey.

It's all gonna kick off.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Lirange wrote: »
    https://wallethub.com/edu/states-most-least-dependent-on-the-federal-government/2700/

California is one of the least dependent states (on the federal government). Only four states are less dependent. Not surprisingly nine of the top 10 most dependent states are red states. Whinge about the government out of one side of their gob whilst imbibing through the other.

Yes and no. There are two qualifiers I would make to that.

1) The commonly stated figures showing, what, a 0.8:1 ratio of dollars in to out doesn't cover every expense the federal government makes to the State such as equipment. For example, those helicopters they have flying around right now making repairs to the Oroville dam include at least eight military choppers with each costing between $5 to $20 million unit price, and the contracts for their repair parts are generally also not going to California. But as the costs for those are taken out of the federal defense budget, it's not attributed in that inlay/outlay ratio. The ratio does, however, include things like federal pay cheques to the Armed Forces or Border Patrol personnel, because they live in those States and the money enters the California economy. Not only would that go away in a CalExit, but CA would have to foot the bill to replace it.

2) California's economy is a hollow shell. The figures in terms of raw dollars look fantastic, until you realise how relative and fragile the whole thing is. Eventually we're going to run out of luck. We don't spend money on water infrastructure, we get a drought. Then we get dams which are going to collapse. Eventually one will. Our roads are still capable of handling our economic needs, but since we under-fund them by almost $6bn a year, eventually it will get to the point that the road infrastructure will collapse, and then what will happen to the economy it supports? We have the highest effective poverty rate in the nation. 20.6%. Over twice that of Kansas. http://www.census.gov/content/dam/Census/library/publications/2016/demo/p60-258.pdf

We are in a bubble. The bubble, unless something dramatically changes in California, is likely to burst. Fortunately, there are always the Federal Relief funds available for when it does.

i) Forgot to mention this doozy

https://twitter.com/AP/status/831898755809046529

To me that's mind-boggling. I'm no fan of guns in the hands of anybody but giving them to people with mental impairment? SMH

It's mind-boggling because you are misinformed. That's not what they did, and that's not what the regulation prohibited. The regulation at issue was simply badly written regulation, and the ACLU, which is no supporter of individual firearms rights, supported the repeal of it as it was overly broad, based on questionable foundation to begin with, and implemented without any accountability.

A pretty good article on the Flynn thing. I find it hard to argue against. http://theweek.com/articles/680068/americas-spies-anonymously-took-down-michael-flynn-that-deeply-worrying

"The United States is much better off without Michael Flynn serving as national security adviser. But no one should be cheering the way he was brought down.

The whole episode is evidence of the precipitous and ongoing collapse of America's democratic institutions — not a sign of their resiliency. Flynn's ouster was a soft coup (or political assassination) engineered by anonymous intelligence community bureaucrats. The results might be salutary, but this isn't the way a liberal democracy is supposed to function"

I don't know how long the 'process' for evaluating Flynn once the DoJ notified the administration of the concerns is supposed to take.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Trump just parrots whatever Netanyahu says.

I'm telling you now, if they abandon the 2-state-solution and go to war with Iran, the world is going to fall to pieces real quick. ISIS are begging for USA to invade Iran and the Palestinians have had enough of this peace malarkey.

It's all gonna kick off.

The military have no appetite. The way things are going you wouldn't be surprised to see the military oust him such is the bizarreness of the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Day 27 or so and the gift keeps on giving, the scandals mount, this is going to be the most epic first 100 days in history if Trump makes it that far. It's pretty clear to all of us, I think, that Trump ordered Flynn to tell Putin to let the sanctions slide, also pretty clear his campaign co-ordinated with the Russians to aid his electoral hopes, can he insulate himself from this? or is it Watergate 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Does Trump know the difference between one and two state solutions in Israel/Palestine?

Does Trump know the difference between one and two state solutions in Israel/Palestine?

I would doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Possibly not. He's already mentioned that he's ready to move the US embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

A pretty good article on the Flynn thing. I find it hard to argue against. http://theweek.com/articles/680068/americas-spies-anonymously-took-down-michael-flynn-that-deeply-worrying

"The United States is much better off without Michael Flynn serving as national security adviser. But no one should be cheering the way he was brought down.

The whole episode is evidence of the precipitous and ongoing collapse of America's democratic institutions — not a sign of their resiliency. Flynn's ouster was a soft coup (or political assassination) engineered by anonymous intelligence community bureaucrats. The results might be salutary, but this isn't the way a liberal democracy is supposed to function"

I don't know how long the 'process' for evaluating Flynn once the DoJ notified the administration of the concerns is supposed to take.

I wonder what the author of the article thinks of "deep throat's" role in the downfall of Nixon..."a soft coup (or political assassination) engineered by anonymous intelligence community bureaucrats". And yet, here we are 43 years later with those "democratic institutions" still intact.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

What are the odds on the President facing possible impeachment within his 100 days.

Russia now testing the waters.
    McCain and Graham will not allow that not be pushed back. They are fundamentally committed to the security of the state.

If Pence takes over, at least Bannon, Miller, Kuschner are gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭JPA

His complete lack of knowledge and understanding is incredibly dangerous. He just has no clue of the power his words now hold.
    Letting him ever speak in public without a prepared speech could result in him saying absolutely anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭sondagefaux

foxtrot101 wrote: »
    I wonder what the author of the article thinks of "deep throat's" role in the downfall of Nixon..."a soft coup (or political assassination) engineered by anonymous intelligence community bureaucrats". And yet, here we are 43 years later with those "democratic institutions" still intact.

It's not unconstitutional for federal employees, including those working in the intelligence services, to report suspicions of wrongdoing, including waste, fraud or abuse in intelligence operations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whistleblower_Protection_Act

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Water John wrote: »
    What are the odds on the President facing possible impeachment within his 100 days.

@2 (Evens) (200% ROI) For DT to leave office via impeachment or resignation before end of 1st term, Ladbrokes...

Can't see it, after all he beat everyone else to take the title of POTUS in the 1st place, amidst all the fake news being thrown about and in every direction.

You'd be better looking at young bearded McGregor to beat that old fella Floyd Mayweather circa Sept 17 in Vegas @10 (tenfold).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,252 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Itssoeasy wrote:
    Also the "old" media don't have an agenda on trump. I include both the MSM and fox in this, it's clear they'd prefer not to covering the mess this administration is creating by themselves. I mean even fox with its bias towards trump are having a hard time holding the party line on trump.

Their agenda above everything else, is to sell news. Trump must be the most abundant source of news in years. I'd say they're doing fine. US news is terrible. It's their job to pay kahe the news to suit their demographic's bias. Even Fox are doing fine, but it must be harder than usual to hold the party line in the last few days.

Given his bad news, it's up to trump to drop a dead cat on the table before the weekend. No better buachaill to set the agenda. What will it be next though? Racism, sectarianism and xenophobia have been the solution for the last few weeks. What next? He could go after the gays. I reckon it will be the Muslims again.

What do you think it will be?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭wildgreen

Akrasia wrote: »
    Russia deployed a cruise missile system yesterday in violation of cold war treaties against holding ground based medium range missile systems

Trump released a statement following the N. Korean test launch, but has ignored the Russian deployment of a fully functioning cruise missile system in violation of the 1987 Intermediate-range Nuclear Forces treaty (INF)

Anything in that treaty about keeping a balance in missile defence spending or NATO not moving into former Soviet bloc countries or destabilising Ukraine? The new trend these days is to only see what the other guy is doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Balderdash.

This is just a better worded extension of the "carnage!" and "War in Chicago!" themes being flogged by Trumps team. The system works, and that is why Trump is on the ropes. The constitution was designed to force competing powers into bargaining and compromise, restraining unilateral ambition and excess.

Blaming the functionaries is pointless when the system was being misused in the first place.

CNN is reporting that a US official is saying that the pentagon is considering a proposal of sending combat ground troops into northern Syria. Is that really a good idea ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Listening to John McCain today, it's clear he will not support any further the car crash, unstable security situation.
    Labour Sec Nominee withdraws, good grief.

• Advertisement

Water John wrote: »
    Listening to John McCain today, it's clear he will not support any further the car crash, unstable security situation.
    Labour Sec Nominee withdraws, good grief.

Yep one person resigns/is fired, one person violated an ethics law, the education secretary got through with help from the VP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

He seems to be getting pretty frustrated that his attempts at deflection are suffering from increasingly diminishing returns.

Billy86 wrote: »
    He seems to be getting pretty frustrated that his attempts at deflection are suffering from increasingly diminishing returns.

Well billy I think Donald trump felt that he would click his fingers and all his campaign promises would be done. I think he is finding out that that isn't how this thing works.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Hazys wrote: »
    You can't make this up:

So he broke the law and my only regret is that it was leaked to the media, seriously, feck off Trump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Well billy I think Donald trump felt that he would click his fingers and all his campaign promises would be done. I think he is finding out that that isn't how this thing works.

It's almost as if he was uneducated and unprepared enough for the role to be considered incompetent?

Pretty sure I said it at the time that it was one of the very few silver linings to him winning - the potential for him to come in, be completely ineffective due to the above and his abrasive nature, and unintentionally expose the highly influential alt right within his ranks for what they really are about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

So let me get this straight, Trump and his team's "reason" for Flynn's dismissal was that 'he could no longer trust him', yet now he claims he still has 'nothing but praise for him', and stressed that the 'fake media reported on illegally leaked documents' and it's basically all their fault.

I'm honestly just lost for words listening to that. According to him the media and intelligence services are guilty of reporting the truth on Flynn, and despite this he still has 'nothing but respect' for a man who broke the law, and repeatedly lied about it.

Nothing but bull**** coming from this clown-car WH once again. If ever there was a 'we're sorry we got caught' apology it's here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Based on this video (and yes I know it's Vice), it looks like immigration officials are actually breaking the law when asylum seekers present themselves at the border.

It's quite an interesting reason to see why a lot of would-be asylum seekers choose the illegal route in gaining access to the US, particularly as 'illegal immigration' is such a hardline stance in the US at the moment, especially since Trump insists legal migrants are welcome.

I certainly don't begrudge any asylum seeker from going 'the desert route' given that their rights are being violated by the people legally required to assist them.

So let me get this straight, Trump and his team's "reason" for Flynn's dismissal was that 'he could no longer trust him', yet now he claims he still has 'nothing but praise for him', and stressed that the 'fake media reported on illegally leaked documents' and it's basically all their fault.

I'm honestly just lost for words listening to that. According to him the media and intelligence services are guilty of reporting the truth on Flynn, and despite this he still has 'nothing but respect' for a man who broke the law, and repeatedly lied about it.

Nothing but bull**** coming from this clown-car WH once again. If ever there was a 'we're sorry we got caught' apology it's here.

I know i shouldn't but I laughed at your post because it's madness that that's not fake but actual true.

You should find the question about anti Semitism in the USA from the press conference today, that he partly answered by talking about his electoral college victory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭Christy42

I know i shouldn't but I laughed at your post because it's madness that that's not fake but actual true.

You should find the question about anti Semitism in the USA from the press conference today, that he partly answered by talking about his electoral college victory.

At this point I would not be surprised to find out he wasn't brushing it off but that is just how he answers every question. Someone should ask him what he wants for dinner as a test.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement