Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

President 'The Donald' Trump and Surprising Consequences - Mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

R Senator texts a reporter that the President was conducting a press conference in public and saying things he should be saying to his therapist in private.
    All beginning to see his bats**t crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Water John wrote: »
    R Senator texts a reporter that the President was conducting a press conference in public and saying things he should be saying to his therapist in private.
    All beginning to see his bats**t crazy.

Let me gues.... "Lul butthurt liberul Republicans"

The senator is right though, that was surely among the most incoherent babbling to ever come from any leader of a western democracy. Even his own fans on here know it, which is why they can't point to anything he said that backs up there claims he did well.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

This article on his narcissism is interesting and documents it clearly and the needs it portrays.

With his new power, the USA is an extension of himself.
    The worry is, when he is limited by Congress and the Courts, this will shut off the regular 'fix' he desperately needs. At that time, he may become distressed and unstable.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/feb/17/donald-trump-narcisissm-mentally-ill-personality

• Registered Users Posts: 20,254 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Billy86 wrote:
    The senator is right though, that was surely among the most incoherent babbling to ever come from any leader of a western democracy. Even his own fans on here know it, which is why they can't point to anything he said that backs up there claims he did well.

But none of them will say he's gone down in their estimation over the last few weeks. I don't know what criteria his supporters are judging him on but it's now that you and I think it is. If it was, then these performances would be turning his supporters off him - but that's not happening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I think the only thing that matters about Trump for his supporters is that he is in the White House - nothing else. He may be an idiot but he's their idiot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Well, he does have form for promising things imminently which either don't come for a long time, or never come at all. His (tweeted) response to his most recent legal reversal was "see you in court!", but in fact he hasn't appealed it.

We'll know when a new order is coming when it actually comes.
    The tweet was his immediate response, but within a few days he was standing at the door of Air Force One explaining that other options looked more promising, including the option of a new EO.
    So you see, things move fast in this administration and you have to be "on the ball" to keep up :p
    Peregrinus wrote: »
    There's a wide range of stuff that can, in theory, be implemented either by EO or by legislation. If it's urgent, or something quite short-term, or its controversial and you don't think you can get the legislation through Congress, then you'll use an EO. Otherwise you will prefer legislation since it has more support, is not so easily changed or revoked, and will endure longer.
    Well, that's not an entirely fair representation. Trump can govern by issuing verbal instructions or more formal EO's, but only within the existing laws. Any instruction issued that seems to fall outside existing laws can be challenged by a judge.

If congress agrees to change existing laws in order to allow a radical new policy, then he can propose it to them, and they can change the legislation to suit, provided they agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

recedite wrote: »
    If congress agrees to change existing laws in order to allow a radical new policy, then he can propose it to them, and they can change the legislation to suit, provided they agree.

And provided it is Constitutional, or they both get a kicking in the Supreme Court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

But none of them will say he's gone down in their estimation over the last few weeks. I don't know what criteria his supporters are judging him on but it's now that you and I think it is. If it was, then these performances would be turning his supporters off him - but that's not happening

Not quickly, but they are moving against him - every approval rating has been lower than the last, and every disapproval higher than the last, despite starting at such a low point on both. And I don't even think there has been a post-Flynn one conducted yet (if I recall, the latest 39%-56% one was conducted up to Feb 12th). There's a fervent base who would claim it was the greatest thing that's ever happened to them if he set their houses on fire (and in Ireland, who would claim it was out fault if he randomly decided to bomb Dublin - and I'm not even sure I'm exaggerating on that anymore) but as is evidenced across the internet they're largely lacking in much of any information on the issues and are instead just spreading their legs to a cult of personality, but that's not a big enough number to keep the others at bay, especially as Senate and House Republicans act to defend their seats over the actions of a wildly unpopular president who appears to be suffering from mental health problems and showing signs of a mental breakdown.

Also to add, the number of regretful Trump voters in continuously growing, the rust belters are due to turn on him en-masse when he fails to deliver on his impossible promises to them (he really has talked very little about them at all in the last month and I'm sure that's not gone unnoticed), and those that view Republicanism as more of a religion than political party (of which there are millions in the US) will move against him as soon as their party tells them to. That leaves him with the lowest educated voters, alt right and far right voters (far right by US standards, which is further right than most of the rest of the world), of which there really are not all that many in the scheme of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭rgossip30

Hate news .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

The administration hasnt been tested in any way yet so the trump supporters really arent paying any attention yet.

For trump supporters right now, all they hear about is the media complaining about trump, and trump responding to them which they love. Details are not important which is why they are unable to articulate exactly what trump stands for.

Wait until the first crisis, which will happen. Thats when the administration will be seriously tested.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Billy86 wrote: »
    Not quickly, but they are moving against him - every approval rating has been lower than the last, and every disapproval higher than the last, despite starting at such a low point on both. And I don't even think there has been a post-Flynn one conducted yet (if I recall, the latest 39%-56% one was conducted up to Feb 12th). There's a fervent base who would claim it was the greatest thing that's ever happened to them if he set their houses on fire (and in Ireland, who would claim it was out fault if he randomly decided to bomb Dublin - and I'm not even sure I'm exaggerating on that anymore) but as is evidenced across the internet they're largely lacking in much of any information on the issues and are instead just spreading their legs to a cult of personality, but that's not a big enough number to keep the others at bay, especially as Senate and House Republicans act to defend their seats over the actions of a wildly unpopular president who appears to be suffering from mental health problems and showing signs of a mental breakdown.

Also to add, the number of regretful Trump voters in continuously growing, the rust belters are due to turn on him en-masse when he fails to deliver on his impossible promises to them (he really has talked very little about them at all in the last month and I'm sure that's not gone unnoticed), and those that view Republicanism as more of a religion than political party (of which there are millions in the US) will move against him as soon as their party tells them to. That leaves him with the lowest educated voters, alt right and far right voters (far right by US standards, which is further right than most of the rest of the world), of which there really are not all that many in the scheme of things.

...and Evangelicals, who are not for turning. Pat Robertson recently stated that Christ was working through Trump and that to oppose Trump was to oppose Christ. We are crossing into full blown theocracy territory now.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

rgossip30 wrote: »
    Hate news .

##Mod Note##

Up the standard of posts please , one liners like this are not good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,372 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

rgossip30 wrote:
    Hate news .

That's a very considered and insightful contribution that has greatly challenged my assumptions and perceptions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Hate news .
    Yes, all this ad hominem stuff about Trump gets a bit tiresome when it is endlessly repeated.

Do you remember when they were spreading that "mental illness" rumour about Putin :pac:
    And then they go on about Trumps "poorly educated" support base. Classic Dunning-Kruger stuff.

That's a very considered and insightful contribution that has greatly challenged my assumptions and perceptions.

You can elaborate if you want .

InTheTrees wrote:
    The administration hasnt been tested in any way yet so the trump supporters really arent paying any attention yet.

What would actually count as a test? The deregulation of the financial sector should have been a major flip-flop moment but silence from trump supporters. He talked about being less interventionist but has been involved in threatening North Korea and Iran and Mexico. If those aren't tests then what will count as a test?

If those aren't tests then what will count as a test?

Russia invading Ukraine again.

China sinking a US boat.

North Korea starting a war.

A terrorist attack on the US at home or abroad, either Islamist or White Nationalist.

Almost anything happening in Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria or Israel.

recedite wrote:
    And then they go on about Trumps "poorly educated" support base. Classic Dunning-Kruger stuff.

Low information voters, please.

People who want little information and analysis e.g. people who are happy to get their news in 140 characters. It doesn't mean poorly educated, it just correlates with poor education.

In psychology terms 'low cognitive elaboration likelihood'. Seriously, this is we established, non controversial theory. It only became controversial when trump successfully targeted and courted those people with his campaign narrative.

Russia invading Ukraine again. Etc

What makes you think these issues would be tests above other issues? China attacking a US naval vessel would be more likely to bring opposing us sides together. That's easy for trump to handle - just whip people up into a frenzy.

Russia invading Ukraine would obviously result in Trump doing nothing to oppose Russia. It would be easy to justify as Obama also didn't stop them.

He creates so many controversy, I don't think it will be easy to tell which ones will be the tests and which are just run of the mill controversy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

We are reaching a critical phase in this debacle.

A Fox news reporter here having a real go at Trump lies:

Trump supporters calling for that reporters head to roll.

Also, FoxNews is now reporting Trump was briefed on #Flynn's call w/Russia at the time. Trump lied to Pence.

The site still looks like a propaganda outfit to Trump but these are small signs..

Meanwhile the Pope has apparently condemned Trump indirectly by criticising populists and defending immigrants.
    Signs that some influencers of Trumps base are moving.
    Trump still has 88% approval amongst Republicans (8% Dems). He has reapplied to be a candidate for 2020 and has been posting many TV videos (since election) asking people to defend Donald Trump!
    He has the support to make a shock move for a power grab, but with his core being threatened th clock is ticking. Dangerous times.

• Advertisement

demfad wrote: »

Also, FoxNews is now reporting Trump was briefed on #Flynn's call w/Russia at the time. Trump lied to Pence.

The site still looks like a propaganda outfit to Trump but these are small signs..

Meanwhile the Pope has apparently condemned Trump indirectly by criticising populists and defending immigrants.
    Trump still has 88% approval amongst Republicans (8% Dems). He has reapplied to be a candidate for 2020 and has been posting many TV videos (since election) asking people to defend Donald Trump!
    He has the support to make a shock move for a power grab, but with his core being threatened th clock is ticking. Dangerous times.

Prepers did not factor Donald Trump as a reason for building a bunker .They will have to add him to the list .

demfad wrote:
    Meanwhile the Pope has apparently condemned Trump indirectly by criticising populists and defending immigrants. Signs that some influencers of Trumps base are moving. Trump still has 88% approval amongst Republicans (8% Dems). He has reapplied to be a candidate for 2020 and has been posting many TV videos (since election) asking people to defend Donald Trump! He has the support to make a shock move for a power grab, but with his core being threatened th clock is ticking. Dangerous times.

I know I'm being alarmist but I think the power grab is inevitable. I think there's no at he could possibly just walk away from the Presidency - unless he has a puppet to run it in his stead like Putin had Medvedev to run things on his instruction.

I think the power grab already happened. He's not a politician, he's not a public servant, he has zero respect for government or democracy, he's just the president. Thats what he is now. It's not in his nature to give away power.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

You can elaborate if you want .
    Prepers did not factor Donald Trump as a reason for building a bunker .They will have to add him to the list .

We've already had a mod warning about the one liners. Give it a rest folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

I know I'm being alarmist but I think the power grab is inevitable. I think there's no at he could possibly just walk away from the Presidency - unless he has a puppet to run it in his stead like Putin had Medvedev to run things on his instruction.

I think the power grab already happened. He's not a politician, he's not a public servant, he has zero respect for government or democracy, he's just the president. Thats what he is now. It's not in his nature to give away power.

The USA has now become part of the Trump corporation, with Trump as the President /CEO. There is no room for democracy in Trump's board room.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

demfad wrote: »
    We are reaching a critical phase in this debacle.

A Fox news reporter here having a real go at Trump lies:

Just to add to your point, here's the link from fox regarding Flynn's call.

I can't wait to hear Trump giving out about Fake News Fox. Pretty soon he'll need only be getting his news from Breitbart.

On a serious note, this is starting to look like Republicans are beginning to distance themselves from him. Maybe yesterday was his jumping the shark moment. If he loses republican support and also loses Fox, he's fecked.

Mr.Micro wrote:
    The USA has now become part of the Trump corporation, with Trump as the President /CEO. There is no room for democracy in Trump's board room.

That's pretty much my opinion. Republicans/democrats, doesn't matter in my opinion. He'll work with the power he has until he can weaken those who restrain him, then carve out more power. Attacking the judiciary with himself on the side of the people, was completely predictable. His next job is to put himself in the same position re Congress.

This is not business as usual and that's a big part of his appeal. I think that's part of his appeal because trump's supporters won't really say what they actually like about him as president

I know I'm being alarmist but I think the power grab is inevitable.

Nah, this is what the rightwingers said about Obama, and the left about Dubya, and the right about Bill Clinton before that. There is no way for a President to "grab power" in the US.

Say what you will about the joke result this time out, but the US is an long established and stable democracy. Their system is old and creaky, but equally, it is unbreakable.

If Trump lasts 4 years without resigning or being impeached, he will lose and go peacefully. It is the American way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Nah, this is what the rightwingers said about Obama, and the left about Dubya, and the right about Bill Clinton before that. There is no way for a President to "grab power" in the US.

Say what you will about the joke result this time out, but the US is an long established and stable democracy. Their system is old and creaky, but equally, it is unbreakable.

If Trump lasts 4 years without resigning or being impeached, he will lose and go peacefully. It is the American way.

He is not benign though. He can wreak havoc at home and abroad. A lot of damage can be done in 4 years. Already he has given the money men/ Wall Street more power to do as they like, effectively removing the corruption laws and other laws that help keep them in check. It will be interesting to see how he responds to opposition to any future executive orders, as clearly he would love to bypass Congress and The Senate every time. He thinks he is in the board room.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    He thinks he is in the board room.

I would imagine 'The Apprentice' might be nearer the mark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,940 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I can't wait to hear Trump giving out about Fake News Fox. Pretty soon he'll need only be getting his news from Breitbart.

Well, his alt-right fanboys already refer to the likes of Fox as "cuckservatives" for not explicitly pushing "racial realism", conspiracy theories about Jews & "cultural Marxism" and alphabater quackery. :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement