Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

President 'The Donald' Trump and Surprising Consequences - Mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,254 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Nah, this is what the rightwingers said about Obama, and the left about Dubya, and the right about Bill Clinton before that. There is no way for a President to "grab power" in the US.

Did any of them even attempt to hang on to power? Or attempt to put themselves on the people's side against the institutions?

This really could be different. It's just my opinion but I think trump really is different. He's not a politician for a start

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

https://twitter.com/AP/status/832608704855937024

Sean Spicer came out to basically say - this is totally false and that AP could have asked them if the story was true rather than posting something which wasn't.

Meanwhile Trump will be having a 2020 campaign rally tomorrow...starting very early, and I know some question if he will even make it anywhere near 2020 as the US President.

There are also claims that Melania is miserable with her life, she use to take her son Barron to school and collect him, but now the secret service do it, and she doesn't like being under the spotlight all the time, well that is a claim, but if true then one would wonder why one would marry Trump, and be a model if one didn't like attention. I would put this story in the questionable category, she may be unhappy with living in NY with her husband living in Washington DC.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

RobertKK wrote: »
    There are also claims that Melania is miserable with her life, she use to take her son Barron to school and collect him, but now the secret service do it, and she doesn't like being under the spotlight all the time, well that is a claim, but if true then one would wonder why one would marry Trump, and be a model if one didn't like attention. I would put this story in the questionable category, she may be unhappy with living in NY with her husband living in Washington DC.

Did you see the clip of her at the inauguration where Trump turned and smiled at her and she beamed back, but she then realised he was not looking and smiling at her but at Ivanka. Her face fell as if she had been hit by a wet fish - not a bit happy.

I would expect she is getting less happy if that is possible. Particularly if she listens to him talk about Ivanka.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,372 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Sean Spicer came out to basically say - this is totally false and that AP could have asked them if the story was true rather than posting something which wasn't.

Meanwhile Trump will be having a 2020 campaign rally tomorrow...starting very early, and I know some question if he will even make it anywhere near 2020 as the US President.

False eh? Yet AP have in their possession a memo written by the Sec for Homeland Security, General Kelly, proposing "to mobilize as many as 100,000 National Guard troops to round up unauthorized immigrants, including millions living nowhere near the Mexico border."

If this isn't true, then I'm sure General Kelly will refute the story when he responds to requests for comment. Which he hasn't done yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

They did.
    The memo is addressed to the then-acting heads of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement and U.S. Customs and Border Protection. It would serve as guidance to implement the wide-ranging executive order on immigration and border security that President Donald Trump signed Jan. 25. Such memos are routinely issued to supplement executive orders.

Also dated Jan. 25, the draft memo says participating troops would be authorized "to perform the functions of an immigration officer in relation to the investigation, apprehension and detention of aliens in the United States." It describes how the troops would be activated under a revived state-federal partnership program, and states that personnel would be authorized to conduct searches and identify and arrest any unauthorized immigrants.

Requests to the White House and the Department of Homeland Security for comment and a status report on the proposal were not answered.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Sorry but anything Spicer says is utterly meaningless. If it happens it was correct, if it doesn't it was not. But I'm more inclined to not believe anything that Spicer says than I am to believe him at this point.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Sorry but anything Spicer says is utterly meaningless. If it happens it was correct, if it doesn't it was not. But I'm more inclined to not believe anything that Spicer says than I am to believe him at this point.

To be fair to Spicer, he doesn't believe what he's saying either.

I mentioned the other day that trump would need to drop a dead cat on the table to reset the narrative and distract away from Russia and Flynn. Today there's a leak with lots of sketchy details about using up to 100,000 national guard troops to round up illegal aliens in the US. the details are vague and Sean Spicer is busy dnying it.

And with that, we're back to talking about immigration and immigration.

I mentioned the other day that trump would need to drop a dead cat on the table to reset the narrative and distract away from Russia and Flynn. Today there's a leak with lots of sketchy details about using up to 100,000 national guard troops to round up illegal aliens in the US. the details are vague and Sean Spicer is busy dnying it.

And with that, we're back to talking about immigration and immigration.
    No. At the moment we're talking about the creation of a police state.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,999 ✭✭✭Christy42

Billy86 wrote: »

At a minimum he appears to be lying about being asked about it.

• Advertisement

No. At the moment we're talking about the creation of a police state.

We are but keep an eye on d'mejia narrative over the weekend. It'll be confused between Russia and this 'will he/won't he's immigration story. It'll be confused by the white house giving lots of versions of the same story. Lots of punches thrown and none really landing because of the lack of detail. Ideal scenario for trump.

Story drops on Friday morning (us time). That means it's the intended story for the weekend. Stories dropped on Saturday night is intended to fly under the radar.

We are but keep an eye on d'mejia narrative over the weekend. It'll be confused between Russia and this 'will he/won't he's immigration story. It'll be confused by the white house giving lots of versions of the same story. Lots of punches thrown and none really landing because of the lack of detail. Ideal scenario for trump.

Story drops on Friday morning (us time). That means it's the intended story for the weekend. Stories dropped on Saturday night is intended to fly under the radar.

Interesting article on his management style here. Essentially, according to business professors in Stanford and Harvard, his style is chaotic and egocentric. A quote from the article: "The unanimous verdict: Thus far, the Trump administration is a textbook case of how not to run a complex organisation like the executive branch."

• Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The document exists. SS can say it didn't come from the White House, because it came from Homeland Security.

Water John wrote:
    The document exists. SS can say it didn't come from the White House, because it came from Homeland Security.

The epitome of disingenuity.

Water John wrote:

That seemed such a trivial distinction. Will fox news spend all weekend saying blah blah media out to get trump, blah blah it wasn't even a white house document'. So what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

https://twitter.com/PressSec/status/832616847153459201
    https://twitter.com/PressSec/status/832616382667726851

And yet, here is the draft plan for it - https://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/8001743/Implementing_the_President_s_Border_Security_and_Immigration_Enforcement....0.pdf
    Empowering state and local law enforcement agencies to assist in the enforcement of federal immigration law is critical to an effective enforcement strategy. Aliens who engage in criminal conduct are priorities for arrest and removal and will most likely be encountered by state and local law enforcement officers during the course of their routine duties. It is in the interest of the Department to partner with those state and local jurisdictions through 287(g) agreements to assist in the arrest and removal of criminal aliens.

Pursuant to Title 32 of the United States Code, State National Guard components are employees of their respective states and are under the command of their Governors when they are not in federal service. Based on their training and experience, these men and women are particularly well-suited to assist in the enforcement of federal immigration law and augment border security operations by Department components.

To maximize participation by state and local jurisdictions in the enforcement of federal immigration law, I am directing the Director of ICE to engage with all willing and qualified law enforcement jurisdictions for the purpose of entering into agreements under section 287(g) of the INA. Additionally, I am directing the Commissioner of CBP and the Director of ICE to immediately engage with the Governors of the States adjacent to the land border with Mexico and those States adjoining such border States for the purpose of entering into agreements under section 287(g) of the INA to authorize qualified members of the State National Guard, while such members are not in federal service, or qualified members of a state militia or state defense force under the command of the Governor, to perform the functions of an immigration officer in relation to the investigation, apprehension, and detention of aliens in the United States.

Like I said, it's best to just assume Sean Spicer is lying on whatever he is talking about until he proves he isn't.

At well, you could even hear Enda Kenny using that line. SS, thus knew nothing about the document.

Sean Spicer is awash with cognitive dissonance. It will break him eventually.

I know you are a Professor. I presume you mean, vaguely acquainted with the truth.

Water John wrote:
    I know you are a Professor. I presume you mean, vaguely acquainted with the truth.

I think Spicer is genuinely struggling with the lies and spin. You can see it in his face at press conferences. Either he is a sociopath or it's corroding him from the inside.

• Advertisement

I think it's chewing him. Doesn't seem a natural bullsh****r.
    We have all met a few of those in our time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭BabyCheeses

Spicer has made it clear he will lie over things that are obviously untrue. Why would anyone take what his says seriously without evidence backing it up? Oh, he said it isn't true, he also said it was the largest attended inauguration. The only thing he has been right about is that dippin dots have not replaced ice cream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Water John wrote: »
    That is perfectly true. He can say "There is no effort to do what is potentially suggested" and its "not a White House document".
    But its a safe bet that it was discussed at length in the White House and approved of.

If you read the revised AP report (last edited one hour ago... at time of me writing this) it is entirely consistent with what Spicer said, and with common sense.

The great thing about the national guard is that they can be federalised and placed under central control when an individual state is violating federal law.

Kennedy did this with the Alabama Nat Guard because the local state police were violating federal law.

When so-called "sanctuary cities" in states like California and NY direct their police officers not to enforce immigration laws, they are also violating federal law. Its not a situation that an ex-marine like Gen Kelly would be willing to tolerate in the long term.

In the AP article it notes
    The troops would not be nationalized, remaining under state control.
    Well, not at first anyway :pac:
    We'd have to see first of all whether California volunteers its national guardsmen for border patrol duties, and secondly what orders it gives them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭BabyCheeses

Good news, Trump may make all those coal jobs come back. You weren't too fond of the area were you? I hope not because you can now dump your waste into the river.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/donald-trump-coal-rivers-regulation-scrapped-law-a7584916.html

President Donald Trump has put the brakes on a regulation blocking coal mining debris from being dumped into nearby streams.

Trump called the stream protection regulation a “job-killing rule” before he signed a measure to overturn it.

Hoping they reduce air pollution regulation next.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Good news, Trump may make all those coal jobs come back. You weren't too fond of the area were you? I hope not because you can now dump your waste into the river.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/donald-trump-coal-rivers-regulation-scrapped-law-a7584916.html

Best way to do this would be to stop using coal, ironically.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,756 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Gintonious wrote: »
    Best way to do this would be to stop using coal, ironically.

I think you missed the sarcasm there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Trump's new head of the EPA had previously sued the EPA 13 times. It'll be destroyed from the inside now.

Watch the EPA leak now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

They haven't been happy in a while, they've even become vocal as an organisation and are campaigning by lobbying their senators.

• Advertisement

Shows how far things have sadly swung, considering it was established by one R Nixon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement