Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

President 'The Donald' Trump and Surprising Consequences - Mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Closed for review

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Reopened. If you haven't already done so, please read the charter carefully and keep it in mind when posting.

In particular:
    High standards of debate and quality posts / threads are required. Repeated one liner, low quality style posts will result in a ban.

And
    Deliberately misleading posts or posters aiming to spread misinformation will be sanctioned

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

recedite wrote: »
    CNN claims to be a news channel. If its not reporting real news, then its reporting something that purports to be news, which could loosely (though not entirely accurately) be referred to as "fake news".

Yes. And this topic is, according to yourself minutes ago, real news:
    recedite wrote: »
    If an inordinate amount of money was being spent, that would be news.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Trump is not backing down on Sweden.
    Every country has problems, but Sweden is no worse than anywhere else. I have relations who live in Sweden and who are Swedish, and I never hear of them complaining about what is going on in that country.
    Yes one hears of stuff that happened in Malmo a couple of years back, but look at Dublin a few years back when it had the 'Love Ulster' event, it was far from love...
    Personally I would be more scared to enter the wrong part of south Chicago. Maybe Trump should work on that before places like Sweden is mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

RobertKK wrote: »

Trump is exclusively talking to his base at this point. They will swallow the mans lies hook line and sinker:

Donald Trump's supporters think the media is covering up terror attacks in Sweden

We are not dealing with people suffering from "economic anxiety", but people have completely taken leave of there senses, and have embraced a conspiracy theory based world view. There is no reasonable way to communitcate with people who have simply taken leave of reality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,372 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Every country has problems, but Sweden is no worse than anywhere else. I have relations who live in Sweden and who are Swedish, and I never hear of them complaining about what is going on in that country.
    Yes one hears of stuff that happened in Malmo a couple of years back, but look at Dublin a few years back when it had the 'Love Ulster' event, it was far from love...
    Personally I would be more scared to enter the wrong part of south Chicago. Maybe Trump should work on that before places like Sweden is mentioned.
    True. A number of years ago, I wandered into the wrong part of an American city and was followed around by a gang. I was subsequently told that I was very lucky to have lived. I've no doubt these kind of no-go areas remain and are still full of deprivation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭swampgas

wes wrote: »
    Trump is exclusively talking to his base at this point. They will swallow the mans lies hook line and sinker:

Donald Trump's supporters think the media is covering up terror attacks in Sweden

We are not dealing with people suffering from "economic anxiety", but people have completely taken leave of there senses, and have embraced a conspiracy theory based world view. There is no reasonable way to communitcate with people who have simply taken leave of reality.

This is not entirely by accident. It's an objective of the whole fake news strategy, keep flooding the news space with similar looking false, true and half-true stories so that many people give up trying to figure out what's real and what's not.

Eventually many people pick an authority figure to believe and ignore everything else. Objective achieved.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Funny thing that about Sweden when Trump should take a few lessons:

Average BNP per person (USD)
    Sweden: $55.186
    USA: $51.638

BNP increase over the last ten years:
    Sweden 44%
    USA: 38%

Trade balance as percentage of BNP:
    Sweden: +5,4%
    USA: -2,7%

Country debt as percent of BNP:
    Sweden: 40%
    USA: 104%

Ranking in OECD Better Life Index:
    Sweden: #6
    USA: #9

Average life length (OECD data):
    Sweden: 82 years
    USA 79 years

Murders per 100.000 citizens:
    Sweden: 0.9
    USA: 5.0

Share of people of total population working:
    Sweden 65.3%
    USA 62.9%

Yup; clearly Sweden is a land of misery and hardship going to hell...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

After A closed tight lipped session with FBI director Comey: Trump administration and all federal agencies have been ordered to preserve Russia related information. The senate Intel committee has the power to subpoena this information.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/02/19/politics/senate-intelligence-committee-russia-materials/index.html?sr=twpol022017senate-intelligence-committee-russia-materials0148PMVODtopLink&linkId=34678723

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭weisses

It is a handy tactic though ...It will keep Americans away from discussing terrorism at their front door

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-target-bombs-idUSKBN15W1G3

Can you imagine the outrage in the Trump camp when the defendants name wouldn't be Charles. But now its just snowed under because of the fake news being released by Trump

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I see Chris Wallace of Fox News has joined Shepard smith in not blindly following trumps line. He took great offence it seems with the line from trump that the press is the "enemy of the American people."

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Trump is exclusively talking to his base at this point.

I've been reading Matt Taibbi's book Insane Clown President. It's a collection of articles written during the 2016 election campaign, some of which I had read online when they were published, but which is still nice to have in one collection. What's particularly interesting is that many of the articles are footnoted with "in hindsight"-type analyses.

In one article, How Donald Trump Lost His Mojo, he discusses the phase Trump went through after he won the GOP nomination of talking about how he was going to fix the problems faced by minorities, and how flat those speeches fell when he gave them to his standard majority-white audiences.

A footnote suggested that, knowing that his base was in the bag anyway, this was a clever ploy by Bannon (because Trump was clearly miserable doing it) to sell him as something other than the deranged xenophobe he had clearly been in primary season. It was a play for middle-ground voters; the people who didn't want to vote for Clinton, but couldn't bring themselves to vote for Trump-the-raving-lunatic. He did just enough to allow those people to overcome their revulsion - they held their noses and voted for him, because he said he wasn't a racist.

Now he's won, and he doesn't need those people anymore. So, yes: he's exclusively talking to his base, because everyone else can see that he's a nutjob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

He can't really talk to his opponents as if he did stray into a Democratic constituency he could be shot at. Their have been calls to assassinate him from liberals calling themselves Democrats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    He can't really talk to his opponents as if he did stray into a Democratic constituency he could be shot at. Their have been calls to assassinate him from liberals calling themselves Democrats.

Sorry can you explain what you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,001 ✭✭✭Christy42

Aside from the insane hyperbole and the fact that he lives in a democratic area we have many means of remote communication these days. For instance the Internet and tv. Both of which would allow Trump to make statements from safe zones outside of the barbaric democratic states and still talk to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Christy42 wrote:
    Aside from the insane hyperbole and the fact that he lives in a democratic area we have many means of remote communication these days. For instance the Internet and tv. Both of which would allow Trump to make statements from safe zones outside of the barbaric democratic states and still talk to them.

Wasn't Kennedy shot on TV, how could that be safe?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I think he means that Hillary suggested to her crowd that they could maybe exercise their second amendment rights.

The point was raised that he is only talking to his base. The Democrats on the other hand have been talking about him not being their president and he must be taken out. The Democrats have not condemned any of these statements. They have been allowed percolate into the atmosphere. The cries of Anti Trump sentiment is really very disturbing. It also prevents politicians in Washington from doing what their put there for. I'd say the Democrats are scared of their voters at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

Has it really been two months already. Seem like an eternity.

Fake news, fake news... FAKE NEWS!

That seems to be all we’ve heard about lately. The democrats and the mainstream media crying over fake news. But do they really expect us to forget that it was the both of them who bowed to the god of fake news during the Obama period to protect his pseudo-sainthood? Remember when journalists couldn’t do enough to help Obama get elected in 2008 and published every outlandish story about Romney, like he didn’t pay his taxes? Remember “If you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor?” Remember the Benghazi attacks were caused by a bizarre YouTube video? Remember when seemingly anything and everything coming out of the White House was reported by the press as gospel. Hell, the White House even had edit power over some stories and gave the press what to print. Need more?

No, today the democrats and the media are up in arms about fake news. Any why might you ask? Because with them history starts today, and in 2016 fake news worked against them.

The point was raised that he is only talking to his base. The Democrats on the other hand have been talking about him not being their president and he must be taken out. The Democrats have not condemned any of these statements. They have been allowed percolate into the atmosphere. The cries of Anti Trump sentiment is really very disturbing. It also prevents politicians in Washington from doing what their put there for. I'd say the Democrats are scared of their voters at this stage.

Who is saying he must be taken out?

If anything trumps words and actions will reunite the democrat party for the greater good.

• Advertisement

Amerika wrote: »

That seems to be all we’ve heard about lately. The democrats and the mainstream media crying over fake news. But do they really expect us to forget that it was the both of them who bowed to the god of fake news during the Obama period to protect his pseudo-sainthood? Remember when journalists couldn’t do enough to help Obama get elected in 2008 and published every outlandish story about Romney, like he didn’t pay his taxes? Remember “If you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor?” Remember the Benghazi attacks were caused by a bizarre YouTube video? Remember when seemingly anything and everything coming out of the White House was reported by the press as gospel. Hell, the White House even had edit power over some stories and gave the press what to print. Need more?

No, today the democrats and the media are up in arms about fake news. Any why might you ask? Because with them history starts today, and in 2016 fake news worked against them.

Isn't trump the one shouting fake news each day.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. I'm going to have to get some clarification.

When you say "The Democrats on the other hand have been talking about him not being their president and he must be taken out.", could I ask you how many and which Democrats said this? I'm not calling you a liar or anything like that but that statement sounds a bit hyperbolic.

If any Democrat is suggesting that the second amendment should be exercised against trump, they should be condemned. That would be a really shítty thing for a person in a position of power to do. If the Democrats didn't do this, again not suggesting that you're peddling falsehoods or anything, then I would see no need to condemn things that didn't happen.

Also, what's so disturbing about people being anti-trump? Do you think they have no good reason for it other than partisanship? There are a lot of conservative and libertarian leaning people out there who are anti trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

The democrats and the mainstream media crying over fake news.

No. It isn't. It's the president and his ragtag administration who keep harping on and on about fake news, trying to discredit CNN and other media orgs so their core supports only listen to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

Isn't trump the one shouting fake news each day.
    Yes, he is. But the democrats and the mainstream media are also shouting fake news. Only now it's winning in Trump's favor as the media seems to be proving him correct every other week or so.

Might be better not to mention taxes.

Yes, he is. But the democrats and the mainstream media are also shouting fake news. Only now it's winning in Trump's favor as the media seems to be proving him correct every other week or so.

I believe they have been correcting his lies. He hasn't been winning. Far from it.

Could I ask you for your definition of fake news? I remember it meaning information known to be false that was disseminated with the intent to deceive.

The definition seems to be getting deliberately confused now so that all news could be described as fake news. You're actually doing it right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭B_Wayne

Are you referring to the fact that factual statements from the administration are extraordinarily rare?

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. I'm going to have to get some clarification.

When you say "The Democrats on the other hand have been talking about him not being their president and he must be taken out.", could I ask you how many and which Democrats said this? I'm not calling you a liar or anything like that but that statement sounds a bit hyperbolic.

If any Democrat is suggesting that the second amendment should be exercised against trump, they should be condemned. That would be a really shítty thing for a person in a position of power to do. If the Democrats didn't do this, again not suggesting that you're peddling falsehoods or anything, then I would see no need to condemn things that didn't happen.

Also, what's so disturbing about people being anti-trump? Do you think they have no good reason for it other than partisanship? There are a lot of conservative and libertarian leaning people out there who are anti trump.

The rallies of which the Democrats have fully been behind and are benefiting from have personalities that have spoken about the President being assassinated. The President receives a lot of death threats on a good day it comes with the job. This on the other hand goes far overboard. Congressional Democrats have lost the plot completely. By going after Trump and continuing with this notion that he is not their President they are throwing open the doors to extremism entering the party if extremists have not already been allowed into the party.

• Advertisement

The rallies of which the Democrats have fully been behind and are benefiting from have personalities that have spoken about the President being assassinated. The President receives a lot of death threats on a good day it comes with the job. This on the other hand goes far overboard. Congressional Democrats have lost the plot completely. By going after Trump and continuing with this notion that he is not their President they are throwing open the doors to extremism entering the party if extremists have not already been allowed into the party.

Which personalities and which rallies?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement