Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

President 'The Donald' Trump and Surprising Consequences - Mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I'm astounded at how much free reign he's being given to go off on golf holidays, charge the secret service for following him on the golf holidays, keep using an unencrypted phone for tweeting, being even able to tweet without it being approved first etc. I had expected them to remove the tweeting capability from him the day after the election due to the security risk.

Whilst he may be the head of state, I expected the state to have more control over the head to prevent it doing something stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

They can advise him to stop tweeting, and to do various other elementary things that he should be doing, but they can't compel him. They all work for him, not the other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

robinph wrote: »
    I'm astounded at how much free reign he's being given to go off on golf holidays, charge the secret service for following him on the golf holidays, keep using an unencrypted phone for tweeting, being even able to tweet without it being approved first etc. I had expected them to remove the tweeting capability from him the day after the election due to the security risk.

Whilst he may be the head of state, I expected the state to have more control over the head to prevent it doing something stupid.

He's the CEO - the boss. He can basically do what he likes. Add in a craven and obsequious GOP with power in both houses, and Trump has carte blanche to do what he likes. He behaves like a petulant teenager because he can.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

He's the CEO - the boss. He can basically do what he likes. Add in a craven and obsequious GOP with power in both houses, and Trump has carte blanche to do what he likes. He behaves like a petulant teenager because he can.

Yep, I'd just assumed that the system would have had enough things in place to prevent an idiot temporary CEO appointment coming in and being free to be such an idiot with their brief spell in charge.

Yep, I'd just assumed that the system would have had enough things in place to prevent an idiot temporary CEO appointment coming in and being free to be such an idiot with their brief spell in charge.

Me too. I had also assumed that he wouldn't have been elected in the first place. The world is changing very quickly and these are interesting times a la the Chinese curse.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I'm astounded at how much free reign he's being given to go off on golf holidays, charge the secret service for following him on the golf holidays,
    Currently his travel costs to date are estimated at 10 million USD to compare with Obama's 8 year travel costs of 91 million USD and Trump has gone 8 golf rounds since inauguration. Both are amusing seeing his complaints about Obama's golfing and travel cost which he will exceed by multiple factors by the looks of it even in only a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,952 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Sean spicer is claiming that trump didn't actually claim that Obama wiretappped his phones. Funny that because that exactly what he claimed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Sean spicer is claiming that trump didn't actually claim that Obama wiretappped his phones. Funny that because that exactly what he claimed.

First he said wiretap didn't actually mean wiretap but surveillance and that Obama wasn't exactly Obama but his administration.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,564 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Roanmore wrote: »
    First he said wiretap didn't actually mean wiretap but surveillance and that Obama wasn't exactly Obama but his administration.

Typical back-peddling from Trump and his team, his mouth/tweeting finger is about 30 minutes ahead of his brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Itssoeasy wrote: »

This thread needs spoiler alerts! I've just caught up with last Friday's press conference and about to start todays. Now I know what he said already :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Roanmore wrote: »

Indeed, apparently "Air Quotes" will be gaining legal status in the Trump Administration fairly soon.

Lies are so yesterday.

Wonder how Trump will tweet his way out of this: 14,000,000 to lose health care coverage by 2018 if the Republican overhaul goes ahead. http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2017/03/13/evening-news-roundup-monday/99116060/

• Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

'CBO is the work of O'Bama' I can write it for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

At least its not *St Pattys Day*

C6u3pTmWoAEwphJ.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,108 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Wonder how Trump will tweet his way out of this: 14,000,000 to lose health care coverage by 2018 if the Republican overhaul goes ahead. http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2017/03/13/evening-news-roundup-monday/99116060/

Some will opt out also lets not forget, its not as clear cut horrible as the Dems are making this sound

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/841388335562129408

https://twitter.com/NickAPappas/status/841397866673393665

• Registered Users Posts: 33,972 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Some will opt out also lets not forget, its not as clear cut horrible as the Dems are making this sound

It really is. Your selling dreams there with those tweets.

This is an important point. Many millions will "lose" coverage, millions more will opt out. Can't lump everyone under "lose."

That is not really a choice. People will opt out because they can no longer afford it. The less people in, the more expensive it becomes. Death spiral begins....

If people lose subsidies they are effectively losing coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,972 ✭✭✭✭listermint

That is not really a choice. People will opt out because they can no longer afford it. The less people in, the more expensive it becomes. Death spiral begins....

If people lose subsidies they are effectively losing coverage.

Wait wait.

Maybe if they sold their iPhones.

We heard that stuff over here before too... Wonder where from

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Significant Deficit Reduction will not really reduce the deficit - they will give this money to billionaires in tax-cuts, which is the real point of Trumpcare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,003 ✭✭✭Christy42

Wait if people opt out because they don't need health insurance then costs will go up (as they were the healthy customers bringing costs down) and then of course there is the question if you mean opt out of buying health insurance for the same reasons I opted out of buying a Ferrari.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

This health bill comes at the level of, making pigs fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Trump paid $38 million in income tax in 2005.

RobertKK wrote: »

He had his last 2 big sales as he exited the property game.

But he paid only $5m in regular income tax - a rate of 4% on his 'regular' income. This was due to his exemption from his $900m loss from '95.

The $31m appears to be an AMT payment - designed to claw back his exemption. interesting to note that Trump is looking at scrapping AMT.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

RobertKK wrote: »

I decided to watch Maddow for the info in his return but it's only a couple of pages and it's really dull. It's missing all of the important details. Hopefully there'll be something decent in the next leaks.

As an aside, I quite enjoyed her investigative stuff but this show that's on right now is a bit insufferable. All they have is what you posted and that the tax was based on income of 150m but it's being stretched out for an hour.

I decided to watch Maddow for the info in his return but it's only a couple of pages and it's really dull. It's missing all of the important details. Hopefully there'll be something decent in the next leaks.

I think Trump is playing....

https://twitter.com/NickKristof/status/841824108627259392

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

That's not beyond the realms of possibility. The two pages do seem fairly innocent.

That's not beyond the realms of possibility. The two pages do seem fairly innocent.

They do. Plus, they are unsigned and are stamped "Client Copy". Appears diversionary.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Nothing to see here then. Makes a body wonder why he resisted all along about publishing his tax returns. Probably fake or alternative returns.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Complete nothing burger. Details of his 2005 taxes were common knowledge a year ago. Maddow has made a complete fool of herself ( again ). NBC/MSNBC need to held accountable for continuing to deceitfully undermine this administration, the tape leak came from the top. The WH released the info an hour before her show..

https://www.wsj.com/articles/donald-trump-got-a-big-break-on-2005-taxes-1458249902

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement