Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

President 'The Donald' Trump and Surprising Consequences - Mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,651 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Complete nothing burger. Details of his 2005 taxes were common knowledge a year ago. Maddow has made a complete fool of herself ( again ). NBC/MSNBC need to held accountable for continuing to deceitfully undermine this administration, the tape leak came from the top. The WH released the info an hour before her show..

Well, if they were so well known, and contain nothing of note then what are you getting worried about. Do you think she should have surpressed the information they had?

Why do you think wikileaks of Podesta e-mails of worthy of coverage but not this.

The WH only released because the news was inevitable, I am sure Maddow team contacted the WH for comment and ask them to verify, thus allowing the WH to step in to try to get ahead, This of course makes a complete liar (again) of KellyAnne who only recently stated that no tax returns would be released.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I think some voters would find it newsworthy, since Trump broke with a 40 year practice by not releasing his tax returns. Secondly, some voters would find it interesting that most of the tax he paid in that year was accounted for by a tax he wants to abolish. They're now aware he has a personal interest in this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Complete nothing burger. ...NBC/MSNBC need to held accountable for continuing to deceitfully undermine this administration, the tape leak came from the top. The WH released the info an hour before her show..

Perhaps they allowed themselves to be played, but the 'scoop' by the WH, imo, proves that this whole thing was a stunt from the Trump administration.

A badly thought out one, that will ultimately backfire on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Perhaps they allowed themselves to be played, but the 'scoop' by the WH, imo, proves that this whole thing was a stunt from the Trump administration.

A badly thought out one, that will ultimately backfire on them.

I think so. If the WH can confirm that years taxes, why not all the others?

They are just narrowing down where the real dirt is.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

If the audit means that they can't release the data, a claim nobody other than Trump agrees with obviously, then the WH broke that made up rule by releasing the information first.

If it is OK for them to release the 2005 data then what is preventing them from releasing everything from all the other years?

The claim that the reporters broke the law by releasing the data may be true, except the WH released the information first so it's back onto them. That the documents came from Trump Towers and say "client copy" also put an end to that line of attack from Trump as they clearly came from his office, therfore his problem and not the reporters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I think this shows DT distraction theme as a, one trick pony. Look over here. Not fooled any more. Lets keep the focus on Health care bill, getting passed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I must be missing something here:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/841967881516679168

What did Snoop do?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Donald, beware of The Ides of March.

It's Republicans will actually have to take him down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭Harika

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Complete nothing burger. Details of his 2005 taxes were common knowledge a year ago. Maddow has made a complete fool of herself ( again ). NBC/MSNBC need to held accountable for continuing to deceitfully undermine this administration, the tape leak came from the top. The WH released the info an hour before her show..

https://www.wsj.com/articles/donald-trump-got-a-big-break-on-2005-taxes-1458249902

Is "nothing burger" a phrase that you use regularly?

The reason I ask is that it was all over reddit being used by trump fans and bots. I'm curious about its origin in this context. Is it a breitbart thing or is it just a talking point that struck a chord with you?

I just find it a bit weird when trump supporters use the same limited language and phrases despite coming from different classes and cultures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,003 ✭✭✭Christy42

robinph wrote: »
    I must be missing something here:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/841967881516679168

What did Snoop do?

Snoop fired a gun at a fake Trump in a video. However here Trump is comparing it to shooting a gun at an actual person and mentioning this would get jail time.

Either he is gone off the charts on his false equivalences (what next arresting someone for throwing darts at a picture of someone's face?) or he is entirely incapable of telling the difference between an effect for a video and real life.

Or he is attempting more distraction techniques.

In any case - he is still incapable of being a serious president.

Harika wrote: »

Pretty crappy video from Snoop. Why on earth Trump wanted to publicise it for him?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

robinph wrote: »
    Why on earth Trump wanted to publicise it for him?

You are operating from the premise that Trump does things for well-thought out reasons.

Trump actually just watches Fox news and Tweets whenever something annoys him.

Edit - some tweets in response to Trump say Trump saw this on Infowars, not Fox.

Trump actually just watches Fox news and Tweets whenever something annoys him.

I found myself going to the Fox website initially to try and figure out what he was on about but found nothing. I feel dirty now. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Christy42 wrote: »
    Snoop fired a gun at a fake Trump in a video. However here Trump is comparing it to shooting a gun at an actual person and mentioning this would get jail time.

Either he is gone off the charts on his false equivalences (what next arresting someone for throwing darts at a picture of someone's face?) or he is entirely incapable of telling the difference between an effect for a video and real life.

Or he is attempting more distraction techniques.

In any case - he is still incapable of being a serious president.

He's just trying to get down with the cool kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭BabyCheeses

Ironic coming from the man who said he could shoot someone and lose no votes.

The mainstream media and Soros have done a great job covering up the wiretapping thing. I heard it would be a huge scandal but they are covering up all the evidence that has been released.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

The conflicts of interest come thick and fast: http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2017/03/exclusive-trump-penthouse-buyer-has-ties-group-chinese-military-intelligence
    To sum up: An influence-peddler who works with a princeling tied to Chinese military intelligence placed $15.8 million in the pockets of the president of the United States.

[...]

Norm Eisen, who served as President Barack Obama's lead ethics lawyer, says the links between Chen, the foundation, CAIFC, and the Chinese government and military raise "a series of very profound and troubling questions." He notes that there is no transparency regarding the vetting of business deals benefiting Trump. Without such a process, he points out, there are well-founded questions about the true source of the funds used to buy the $15.8 million condo. "When, as here, the public interest is implicated, we're left at a loss," Eisen says. "You shouldn't be asking these questions about a president."

• Registered Users Posts: 39,952 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So I didn't stay up for the big reveal but it's amazing that the White House was able to provide info about trumps tax returns which he claimed couldn't be released because he's under audit. So it appears that's not a rule he is going to stick to. Shock horror I know.

Trump is destroying America and America's image. Anyone who defends him these days deserves to lose their job and their health coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,457 ✭✭✭weisses

Trump is destroying America and America's image. Anyone who defends him these days deserves to lose their job and their health coverage.

That is easily achieved ... even without supporting him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Pete29

1. Two pages of Tax returns from one year.
    2. Returns leaked marked "Client Copy"
    3. The White House released a statement acknowledging the content and story of the returns before being published.
    4. Donald Trump's son praises his father for paying more taxes than Obama and Sanders.
    5. The negative reception Rachel Maddow has received for hyping up the importance and publishing these return on her show (by her own actions), Possibly inspiring more distrust of the media.

Every thing about these leaks are only good for the Trump White House.

I would argue these are good reasons to view these tax return leaks as simply a ploy to benefit Trump's image and distracted from his more major scandal allegations involving Russia and their possible collision to sway the 2016 U.S Election in favor of Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Give it up mate!

There have been critics of Trump for months, and nearly all the assumed truths about him by way of criticism have proven to be total hogwash.

There always seems to be an explanation for people to stay by the baseless guff that keeps on being thrown about him! It's high time people are called out on this and a refusal to engage with them in a proper debate unless there is at least a degree of backup to these fairytales!

Let's not forget that the great reveal here was done by one of his most vocal critics of all. What a royal balls up she made.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Pete29

ligerdub wrote: »
    Give it up mate!

There have been critics of Trump for months, and nearly all the assumed truths about him by way of criticism have proven to be total hogwash.

There always seems to be an explanation for people to stay by the baseless guff that keeps on being thrown about him! It's high time people are called out on this and a refusal to engage with them in a proper debate unless there is at least a degree of backup to these fairytales!

You don't think Donald Trump should release his tax returns? Do you think the Russian attempt to hack the U.S election, while members of his campaign met with Russian officials, should be investigated?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Mod note:

Tax return threads merged with the main thread. However, if it needs to be separated off we can do so in the next few days

Pete29 wrote: »
    You don't think Donald Trump should release his tax returns? Do you think the Russian attempt to hack the U.S election, while members of his campaign met with Russian officials, should be investigated?

It really is hilarious some of the stuff that has been leveled at him. Good man Pete.

For months we've heard baseless rubbish that he's not paid taxes in 20 years, and his records are probably full of proof of supposed links to the Russian government.........then one of his most vocal opponents leaks his returns (probably illegally), and totally blows all that out of the water......brilliant! Not only that, but he ended up paying at a higher rate than their great idols for that period!

Great job guys, that was hilarious!

As I say, it's time to stop assuming.

ligerdub wrote: »
    For months we've heard baseless rubbish that he's not paid taxes in 20 years, and his records are probably full of proof of supposed links to the Russian government.........then one of his most vocal opponents leaks his returns (probably illegally), and totally blows all that out of the water......brilliant! Not only that, but he ended up paying at a higher rate than their great idols for that period!

Great job guys, that was hilarious!

As I say, it's time to stop assuming.

he didn't deny it when it was said by Hillary Clinton in the debates. He said "that makes me smart" which you'd have to take as meaning he didn't pay tax.

Also, in a move that will no doubt annoy him more. A Hawaiian federal judge has blocked his travel ban. I mean that's twice his ban has been blocked. It might be time to pack in his travel ban.

• Advertisement

Tourism in the US is taking a seriously cold shower because of Trump's rhetoric. Might be no need for a ban after all. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39121276

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement