Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

President 'The Donald' Trump and Surprising Consequences - Mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

If Trump gets impeached, Mike Pence will be the president ?
    it it the individual or the administration that gets impeached - if it happens ?
    If the President is successfully impeached, the Vice President takes over and serves out his term.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭Harika

Peregrinus wrote: »
    If the President is successfully impeached, the Vice President takes over and serves out his term.

If both got impeached it will be the speaker of the house: Paul Ryan

Harika wrote: »
    If both got impeached it will be the speaker of the house: Paul Ryan
    Not necessarily; it depends on the order in which they are impeached.

If Pence is impeached, Trump gets to nominate a new VP (who I'm pretty sure needs approval from the Senate before being confirmed in office). If Trump is then impeached, that new VP takes over.

If Trump is impeached first, then Pence becomes President and gets to nominate a new VP. On Pence's impeachment that VP takes over.

The only way Ryan gets the gig is if Trump and Pence are both impeached, one so soon after the other that no new VP has been nominated.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,539 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Correct - Trial presided over by the Chief Justice of the SCOTUS, held in the Senate. Articles of Impeachment - the charges, essentially - are drawn up by the House.

Most recently Bill Clinton was tried for impeachment but not successfully impeached, for perjuring before Congress regarding his extramarital affairs.

If Trump is in fact impeached, I'd expect that with a GOP majority in the Senate it's extremely unlikely he'd be impeached. Of course, post-2016 there's a chance the GOP loses its majority in both houses, and then things might actually get interesting, I wouldn't be half surprised if the Russia investigations are ongoing, if new problems show up for Trump (conflicts of interest?), that he resigns in disgrace like Nixon did to avoid the embarrassment of a trial. It'd be great theater though, and get him possibly his final 15 minutes of fame. Plus, if he is tried and impeached, he's booted from office. I don't believe there's necessarily a prison term or anything like that guaranteed - so an impeachment trial will boost his brand, which is what his Presidency is all about.

Now, wouldn't it be hilarious if in 2018 as has been rumored, Barack Obama runs for Congress, wins, and the Dems become the House Majority, installing Obama as Speaker. Gets to lead a movement to impeach Trump!

Personally I think he's way too smart to run for Congress, if anything I'd expect him to wait for his daughters to be out of school and run for the Senate when he's a bit older, like in 6 years or so. They'll need a new Majority leader at that point, Schumer's getting up there and isn't exactly an inspirational politician.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

So even if he gets impeached, the administration will still be the same - could be worse with Pence in charge..

• Advertisement

So even if he gets impeached, the administration will still be the same - could be worse with Pence in charge..
    Well, we are talking about very remote hypotheticals. No president has ever actually been successfully impeached.

The closest modern parallel would be Nixon who resigned to avoid impeachment. That was an absolutely bruising and batterering experience for the USA, and a successful Trump impeachment would be too.

Afterwards, yes, you'd have the right-wind ideologue Pence in office, with political experience and political skills. He might have even worse ideas than Trump and he might be capable of delivering them, which Trump doesn't seem to be terribly good at.

On the other hand, you'd have a country and a Congress crying out for some kind of reconciliation, and a President who knows he has no mandate. There'd be a strong impetus to try to build consensus, to move to the centre, to try to stabilise things a bit and develop a functional working relationship with the Congress that had impeached Trump. So if I were Pence I wouldn't concentrate on rushing through a right-wing revolution; I'd concentrate on making people feel better about their country and on building support in the centre so that I might have some hope of winning the next election, and then having a mandate for doing what I want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭johnp001

Bruce Arnold makes some good points about Trump and the media in Sunday Indo article on independent.ie today
    I watched the three debates between the two contenders for the American presidency. They were addressing two audiences and any attempt to come to clashes or conflict foundered over the abyss between them. Only connect, one wanted to say, only connect.
    On the night before the vote, I said to friends I thought Donald Trump would win. There was a thoughtful response to this, but no support. It seemed highly improbable.

I stayed up for the count and watched as parts of the media collapsed in confusion. The voice of America had backed the wrong side. It had assumed Hillary Clinton would win and that Trump would bow out. The reverse happened.
    It is true, of course, that Clinton won the election but lost the presidency. This was because she didn't canvass in three "marginal constituencies" which she narrowly lost. Trump, who won 30 out of the 50 states, campaigned hard in those three states in the final days. An Irish media view, in its wisdom, called it an act of desperation. It would seem not. It was the professionalism of Trump's campaign, rather than Russian involvement, that secured him the presidency.

The American media, with honourable exceptions, lost the plot. Its reputation for professional reporting, as happened with the media throughout the world, including Ireland, became a witch-hunt for all that was wrong in Trump and much that was not his fault.

As a journalist with over half a century of political reporting behind me, I was embarrassed by the performance of many of my colleagues at home and abroad. There was significant and sustained bias in favour of Clinton, a mediocre politician. No bias in favour of an unknown political figure like Trump. The newspaper industry mainly likes Democrats. Hillary had held high office, largely doing nothing admirable, for eight years. Trump was an outsider.

That was not the problem. Bias, unfairness, gross error, foolishness in comment and judgment, all are part of the newspaper industry. It was particularly so over these candidates. It took the place of intelligence and, when most needed, of investigation.

One of the candidates was smooth and confident, expecting victory and saying very little to deserve that. The other, vulgar, aggressive, rude, not altogether coherent, Donald Trump, who appeared to be a born loser, widely judged as such.

The problem went deeper than that, however. The US media did not do its job, which was to find out where Trump got his support, and analyse and measure it as an element that might give him victory. This was a shameful omission.

Trump had no claim to, nor expectation of, a fair place. But he had every reason to expect the media to discover where his power lay and what this might do to his chances. The media thought otherwise, however. They did not want to do anything that would improve his chances. They were not professional.

When all was over, Trump legitimately, and rightly, disparaged the media. He did so in strong terms. He was correct in not explaining his harsh judgments. It was the American media that disgraced itself, not Trump.
    More...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Christy42

johnp001 wrote: »
    Bruce Arnold makes some good points about Trump and the media in Sunday Indo article on independent.ie today

Interesting that he does not actually defend any of Trump's claims specifically. It just says a lot of the media was biased and therefore Trump is just in whatever his backlash was. It does not go in to any specifics.

This seems to be a large theme that has emerged. A lot of Trump's stuff I can get behind if I gloss over specifics. It is even backed up by the man himself who seems largely unsure of the details of the health care bill he fought so hard for. He routinely disparaged the news as fake news. Even going so far as to say the leaks are real but the news is fake? That statement makes no sense.

Second of all it does not address any of the media's claims. Him and his family (with Ivanka's new undefined role) has massive conflicts of interest, he has had issues running over laws and indeed has brought that into office as well as those issues with Russia getting more and more fuel. Many of which were largely justified. The man was behind in the polls (though they missed his advantage in the electoral vote) and only a last minute intervention from the fbi saved him.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

if I were Pence I wouldn't concentrate on rushing through a right-wing revolution; I'd concentrate on making people feel better about their country and on building support in the centre so that I might have some hope of winning the next election, and then having a mandate for doing what I want to do.

Nah - that's Democrat loser talk. If Pence gets in, it'll be appoint a lunatic to the Supreme Court while you can, and overturn Roe vs. Wade. Once in a generation chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Nody wrote: »
    The question what could give a quick win; starting to build the wall on a small scale by extending / replacing existing fencing or something would be feasible and still give a win while "being tough on immigrants". I agree that the whole wall end to end is never going to happen but I can see a smaller "step 1" wall being done as a PR stunt and that there would be enough republican support wanting to shore up their core voters by supporting it (but never support the full blown wall).

Can't remember the exact figure, but I think I read a week or two back that they had secured something like ...wait for it... $20mn for the wall. I think the estimated cost was $20bn, if I recall? And it'll get thrown back that Mexico paying for it has I believe already been conceded as a(nother) con, which the $20mn figure would account for.

Hard to remember, it doesn't get talked about so much lately with the Healthcare farce and constantly mounting evidence of collusion with Russia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

Well, we are talking about very remote hypotheticals. No president has ever actually been successfully impeached.

The closest modern parallel would be Nixon who resigned to avoid impeachment. That was an absolutely bruising and batterering experience for the USA, and a successful Trump impeachment would be too.

Afterwards, yes, you'd have the right-wind ideologue Pence in office, with political experience and political skills. He might have even worse ideas than Trump and he might be capable of delivering them, which Trump doesn't seem to be terribly good at.

On the other hand, you'd have a country and a Congress crying out for some kind of reconciliation, and a President who knows he has no mandate. There'd be a strong impetus to try to build consensus, to move to the centre, to try to stabilise things a bit and develop a functional working relationship with the Congress that had impeached Trump. So if I were Pence I wouldn't concentrate on rushing through a right-wing revolution; I'd concentrate on making people feel better about their country and on building support in the centre so that I might have some hope of winning the next election, and then having a mandate for doing what I want to do.

There has never been a successful impeachment but there has never been a federal investigation into a presidential campaign for treason. 65% of Americans now want an independent inquiry into Trump Russia.
    This isn't going away. Adam Schiff has said he has seen evidence that would immediately warrant a grand jury. Nunes has exposed himself by his bizaare press conferences the other day and by cancelling the testimony of Yates, Brennan and Clapper for tomorrow. It's the coverup that got Nixon and the coverup is happening in earnest. Impeachment isn't remote, impeachment is inevitable.

Also the Whitehouse administration is deep filled with members of the Council for National policy. The christian white supremacist policies are been enacted all the time. As the conspirators (Mercers/Bannon) want small government these people are 'dismantlers' of their departments. For example the CNP sent Devos (her father was a founding member of CNP) a paper saying that there was NO NEED for a department of education.

When this blows up it will be Watergate x 100.
    Many of the Trump campaign/transition team will be indicted and possibly even Trump himself. The fuller investigation will bring 100s of people down including many members of congress.

The Admin cannot survive this. There is no precedent for the US to resolve this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭Panrich

demfad wrote: »
    There has never been a successful impeachment but there has never been a federal investigation into a presidential campaign for treason. 65% of Americans now want an independent inquiry into Trump Russia.
    This isn't going away. Adam Schiff has said he has seen evidence that would immediately warrant a grand jury. Nunes has exposed himself by his bizaare press conferences the other day and by cancelling the testimony of Yates, Brennan and Clapper for tomorrow. It's the coverup that got Nixon and the coverup is happening in earnest. Impeachment isn't remote, impeachment is inevitable.

Also the Whitehouse administration is deep filled with members of the Council for National policy. The christian white supremacist policies are been enacted all the time. As the conspirators (Mercers/Bannon) want small government these people are 'dismantlers' of their departments. For example the CNP sent Devos (her father was a founding member of CNP) a paper saying that there was NO NEED for a department of education.

When this blows up it will be Watergate x 100.
    Many of the Trump campaign/transition team will be indicted and possibly even Trump himself. The fuller investigation will bring 100s of people down including many members of congress.

The Admin cannot survive this. There is no precedent for the US to resolve this situation.

Could it even end up with martial law at some point? As you said, there is no precedent and this could spin in any direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,652 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Demfad, you have gone from rumours to stating the entire admin won't survive and it will be Watergate x 100.

I mean, come on, that is quite a stretch. Schiff did indeed say it would go straight to grand jury, so what are they waiting for?

If the DNC have the evidence then start the proceedings.

You seem to be conflation a number of separate conspiracies into one. What has the CNP got to do with Russia? What has the need, or not, for a department of Education got to do with possible treason?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Panrich wrote: »
    Could it even end up with martial law at some point? As you said, there is no precedent and this could spin in any direction.
    Highly doubtful; to senior people and it would cause to much of an upset to them. Deals would be struck; people would plead to minor charges and resign etc. instead.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Demfad, you have gone from rumours to stating the entire admin won't survive and it will be Watergate x 100.

I mean, come on, that is quite a stretch. Schiff did indeed say it would go straight to grand jury, so what are they waiting for?

If the DNC have the evidence then start the proceedings.

You seem to be conflation a number of separate conspiracies into one. What has the CNP got to do with Russia? What has the need, or not, for a department of Education got to do with possible treason?

If you read the post I was responding to you would see that the suggestion was made that Pence if he became president would not impose his right wing agenda. I argued that this would not be possible given that many many members of the CNP are in the administration and carrying out these objectives right now. An example is the education department. Environment also. State also etc. etc.

I have explained in a previous post (with substantiation) exactly why the number of people who will be indicted will be high.

The DNC doesnt have evidence as far as i know. Schiff would have seen it as the ranking Dem in House Intel comittee.

According to leaks the circumstancial evidence if collusion is devastating. Now Schiff is saying that they have more than circumstantial.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,652 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

But that is my point Demfad, it is all leaks and possibles. No evidence has actually been forthcoming.

Even the FBI investigation doesn't prove anything other than there is a suspicion.

Schiff says he has information and Nunes says there isn't. Why do you place more stock on Schiff? (I have no idea who is telling the truth, and sure Nunes looks a bit crazy, but crazy is not guilty)

I just think it is so far from being what you are making it out to be that you can't possibly say it is that way as anything other than speculation and possibly hope.

I am not saying you are wrong, but it is a bit like saying that Trump isn't wrong about wiretapping as some wiretapping went on somewhere to someone, who possibly visited Trump Tower once.

It seems US air force attacked Mosul and caused more civilian victims since Vietnam in a single strike. Trump works hard to help ISIS recruit and motivate lone wolves to strike. It is rumoured the error was caused by the change of the rules of engagement. Where under Obama a central command had the last word, now a more regional and lower officer can order such a strike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

It seems US air force attacked Mosul and caused more civilian victims since Vietnam in a single strike. Trump works hard to help ISIS recruit and motivate lone wolves to strike. It is rumoured the error was caused by the change of the rules of engagement. Where under Obama a central command had the last word, now a more regional and lower officer can order such a strike.
    Remember when people said this was a bad thing, and many Trump fans claimed otherwise?

Islamic terrorist recruiters will be fecking delighted, mind you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Maybe Trump should have just bought some of the Democrats off with cash to get the health bill passed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Maybe Trump should have just bought some of the Democrats off with cash to get the health bill passed.

Maybe he should invite them down to Mara Lago at the weekend for a few rounds of golf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

But that is my point Demfad, it is all leaks and possibles. No evidence has actually been forthcoming.

Even the FBI investigation doesn't prove anything other than there is a suspicion.

Schiff says he has information and Nunes says there isn't. Why do you place more stock on Schiff? (I have no idea who is telling the truth, and sure Nunes looks a bit crazy, but crazy is not guilty)

I just think it is so far from being what you are making it out to be that you can't possibly say it is that way as anything other than speculation and possibly hope.

I am not saying you are wrong, but it is a bit like saying that Trump isn't wrong about wiretapping as some wiretapping went on somewhere to someone, who possibly visited Trump Tower once.

The mere fact that the FBI has confirmed it is investigating Russian connections with the Trump campaign is in itself absolutely astounding

Add to that Nunes bizarre actions and in effect an attempt to quash the whole senate investigation .

This presidency will be so lame duck as too redefine ducks

he tried it with a whole host of republicans and that didnt work , hardly likely to work with the democrats

Ive have to say , Ryan and Trump pushing a bill that had less then 17% public support

as was said recently " the GOP was saved from a catastrophic victory "

mind you I suspect that will be the definition of Trumps presidency , if you elect a buffoon, you get buffoonery

• Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I suppose it beats dipping into Putin's playbook. :rolleyes:

After the healthcare blew up in his face, the tax reform that even will affect more people and more laws, will be even more difficult to box through. Especially after the recent defeat. So I would bet against a tax reform in the next years.

I will just start with main points of Steele dossier so people understand what Trump/Russia is.
    • According to dossier: Deal was that Trump campaign would tone down Republican resistance to Ukraine invasion and Crimean annexation.
    • Trump would concentrate on denigrating Nato and EU and in particular concentrate on Baltics lack of Nato investment to focus attention on that area. In exchange Russia woudl hack DNC server and dump emails via Wikileaks (for plausable deniability).
    • If elected Trump to remove Russian sanctions in exchange for a share in Rosneft Oil of up to 19%.
    • (Steele broke the Litvinenko and FIFA cases. The FBI offered to pay him to keep investigating Trump/Russia after the election.)
    Manafort=organiser; Page,Cohen=go betweens; Trump=full knowledge

Manafort:
    • Trumps main campaign manager. Released from Trump campaign due to illegal payments ($12.7 million) for his help to Ukraine president and Putin puppet Yanukovych.
    • Under investigation for working for Deripaska to benefit Putin globally since 2005 for $10 million per annum.
    • US agents also investigating off shore payments involving Manafort and Cyprus bank as part of an anti-corruption investigation.
    • Another Oligarch backer of Manafort Dmitri Firtash has been approved for extradition to the US from Austria.
    • Manafort was the organiser of the deal according to dossier.

Roger Stone.

Manaforts Associate and longest Trump aide. Admitted being in contact with Guccifer 2.0 (DNC hacker) at least 16 times over the campaign. Also claimed he had communications with Julian Assange.

Carter Page:
    • Trump foreign policy campaign aide.
    • Met with Russian officials several times during campaign. Met with the actual Russian intelligence guy in charge of the US election. Met with Igor Sechin twice illegally (CEO Rosneft, on US sanctions list). Met him in December 2 days before 19.5 % of Rosneft sold. States involved in transaction were Russia, Italy, Singapore. Claims that 0% of hsi remit as Trumpa dvisor related to Russia even though he had spent most of his professional life working and lobbying for gazprom.(Russian oil giant)
    Jeff Sessions:
    • Lied under oath about meeting Russian ambassador Kysliak twice. Evidence has now emerged that Sessions, Manafort, Trump, Kushner et al met Kysliak again at the Mayflower Hotel (remember that name ;-)) for Trumps first policy speech where he aligns his policy with Russian foreign policy. Speech was written by Richard Burt, worked and lobbied for Gazprom for many years. There were 4 ambassadors in attendence: Russian, Italian, Singaporese and Phillipino. (see Rosneft 19.5% deal above for circumstantial importance). A private hour long cocktail meetingw as held for 24 people including thses 4, Trump gain and oil men.
    Flynn:
    • Under Pentagon investigation for taking payment from Kremlin and not declaring GRU (Russian intelligence) speech in Moscow. Discussed sanctions with Kysliak illegally. Lied to FBI about discussing these. Worked as a foreign agent to Turkey during campaign/transition (known to Trump/Pence). Accused by former CIA director Woolsey of a conspiracy to kidnap suspect in Turkey coup and transport to Turkey for Erdogan.
    • Lied about meeting Kysliak several times.
    Michael Cohen:
    • Cohen met with Trump Russian mobster pal Felix Sater and Ukrainian politician Artemenko to firm up a Ukraine 'peace deal' involving leaking dirt on current Ukraine PM to oust him and giving Russia Crimea on a 50 year lease.
    • Dossier also suggests he negotiated with Russian Intelligence in Prague. He has publicly denied it. His social Media geo-locations show he lied about hsi whereabouts for that period. The plane he normally flies with had its serial numbers swapped with another craft during that period. The plane flew to Europe during that period and flew on to Moscow then back to US.

Tillerson:

Free person of Russia award from Putin in 2013 for half trillion deal between Exxon and Rosneft. Deal cancelled due to sanctions.

Leaks: (Leaks are of real verified Intel)
    • US intel has devastating extensive circumstantial evidence including voice tapes and electronic comms of conversations between Russian officials that verify the collusion. They also leaked conssitent communicatiosn between Trump team and high level Russian officials throughout the campaign.
    • Latest leak say that there is more than circumstantial evidence and that there is evidence of coordination in the timing of the wikileaks dumps.
    • They are 'working through' other Russian/US comms and the rest of the dossier.

Investigations:

House Intel:
    • Schiff and other members say comprehensive circumstantial evidence. Schiff has also seen more than circumstantial evidence.
    • Nunes last week dissappeared from his Uber ride after a call telling his aides to leave him. He returned the next day announcing a press conference (again told aides nothing). Something about incidental legal surveillance that he phrased to make it look like Trump was wiretapped. At same time Trump announces during 'Time' interview that Nunes had breaking story. A few minutes later emails are sent around to Republican supporters saying that Trump was right again (and give us some money). After another press conference, Nunes goes to report to the man he is supposed to be investigating.
    • Next day Nunes apologised to other Intel commitee members, but inexplicably cancelled the appearance of Yates. Clapper and Brennan.
    • He is trying to undermine the investigation.
    • During Comeys appearance he said he was allowed to reveal that there is a FISA investigation into the Trump campaign.
    • It is illegal for him to comment on other aspects of the investigation.
    • Flynn: Cant comment
    • Tillerson oil deal: cant comment
    • Page, manafort, sessions etc. cant comment
    • He couldnt comment about much which belies the scope of the investigation.

Senate Intel investigation.

Starting up they are interviewing witnesses.

DOJ investigation into Comey letter and NY FBI.

They have a Russian hacker in custody puportedly for hacking Wiener's laptop.
    They have 2 more arrested recently for hacking Yahoo.

FBI cyber investigation.

St Petersburg trolls, Twitter bots, their connection to US accounts (Dan Scavino, Cernovich, Flynns). Their coordination with Mercer/Bannon's Cambridge analytica.

Investigation into Deutche bank for money laundering (only bank that lent to Trump).

Trump:

Hundreds of contacts in Russian criminal and business world.
    Kompromat that exists on him. (There is more than one video according to BBC source Woods). Money laundering activity with Russians/Chinese and Laundromat investigations passed and current. Loads more but im getting tired typing.

Other:

• Wikileaks moving of servers to Russia
    • Alpha server communicating with Trump tower and Devos healthfirm server. (original FISA warrant)
    • Giuliani, Eric Prince (devos brother) conspiracy to force Comey letter.
    • Kushner/Trump/Shwarzman 17 billion debt to China.
    • Not least: Mercer/Bannon international election sabotage inc Brexit, US, Holland, France and Germany ongoing.

This is only the tip of the iceberg to what is known.
    There is a lot more than can easily be verified from the dossier.
    If this is in the public domain: what do the Intel community have? What have the Eastern European Intel cmmunity? The Baltic states esp Estonia? The MI6?

This is only going to end one way.

Did Trump have more evidence for his wiretapping claims?

Just to add: They haven't investigated any of the main protagonists yet. The FBI have leverage over at least Flynn and Manafort for their other crimes.
    Also several (literally) dead bodies with connections to the dossier since the election.

After the healthcare blew up in his face, the tax reform that even will affect more people and more laws, will be even more difficult to box through. Especially after the recent defeat. So I would bet against a tax reform in the next years.

What I would do - as pretty much anyone in power for the Republicans - would be to introduce something easy. There is a lot of pressure on whatever Trump sticks into legislation next and could cause issues as Republican's battle their beliefs and the party need.

A simple piece of legislation that Republicans can agree on and Donald can big up as a big win would relieve a lot of this pressure. Maybe something on immigration. Even something small would give Trump something to shout about. He is good at making noise, getting stuff in the headlines and his supporters can latch onto the win.

Avoid heavy subjects like the wall or tax reform until there is a little less pressure on stuff to get passed for the sake of being seen to be able to pass stuff. More than any other president Trump has attempted a shock and awe technique, building on his claims of being able to cut through red tape and get stuff done. It has resulted in stuff being hammered through at record pace and has back fired spectacularly with nothing getting done. Time to stop playing that losing hand.

Christy42 wrote: »
    What I would do - as pretty much anyone in power for the Republicans - would be to introduce something easy. There is a lot of pressure on whatever Trump sticks into legislation next and could cause issues as Republican's battle their beliefs and the party need.

A simple piece of legislation that Republicans can agree on and Donald can big up as a big win would relieve a lot of this pressure. Maybe something on immigration. Even something small would give Trump something to shout about. He is good at making noise, getting stuff in the headlines and his supporters can latch onto the win.

Avoid heavy subjects like the wall or tax reform until there is a little less pressure on stuff to get passed for the sake of being seen to be able to pass stuff. More than any other president Trump has attempted a shock and awe technique, building on his claims of being able to cut through red tape and get stuff done. It has resulted in stuff being hammered through at record pace and has back fired spectacularly with nothing getting done. Time to stop playing that losing hand.

he cant do that as he is hostage to his campaign promises

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Christy42 wrote: »

That makes a huge amount of sense , but I suspect that Hubris will force the Trump Administration to continue to push for the "Big Splash" legislative change.

BoatMad wrote: »
    he cant do that as he is hostage to his campaign promises

Could he potentially delay? Agreed he needs to step back into the breach as he does not want to continue to be considered useless this should be seen as a time to regroup.

Probably not likely given his personality and ego.

• Advertisement

Quiet day in Trump/Russia.

Nunes disclosed where he disppeared to day before his weird press conferences:
    White House!

Jared Kushner to be interviewed by Senate Intel Committee about meetings with Kislyak and meeting with with Sergey Gorkov, the chief of Vnesheconombank, a Russian state-owned development bank.

The bank is a front for special projects like Sochi, lending Oligarchs money and has been a front for the FSB (KGB) the GRU both funding and with spies as employees.

Im sure it was all innocent :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement