Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

President 'The Donald' Trump and Surprising Consequences - Mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,652 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

My point was that you can't say that it's his work and it's not. Your point does not refute that fact so your other assertions are just moving the goalposts to suit your argument. Shame.

I have no idea what you mean. I am clearly saying it is his work.

you stated that it wasn't really his work, when it is clear that whether he actually sat down and wrote it he took ownership of it. Therefore it was his work.

What other arguments are you talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Well, no bills will be DT's so as he hasn't the ability to write a bill or the attention span to read one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Water John wrote: »
    Well, no bills will be DT's so as he hasn't the ability to write a bill or the attention span to read one.

True.

While he tried hard to get the bill passed, some republicans are saying that he had no idea of its contents.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

And we thought George W was limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I'm thinking back to that New Yorker interview with his ghost writer Tony Schwartz, who claimed Trump just couldn't sit still and kept fidgeting while he was interviewing Trump for "The Art of the Deal". I wonder how his fanboys responded to Schwartz's claim, and how many tried to dox and harass him. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,954 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Water John wrote: »

I've read that trump didn't impress the freedom caucus when they were asking for bits to be taken out. He's alleged to have said "forget about the little ****" which lead them to believe that he hadnt a clue what was in the bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Really Interested

The Republican health bill wasn't really his work. It's Ryan's work. He's responsible for trying to ram it through and it failed spectacularly but the bill itself is the work of Ryan.

His support of that bill should have turned off his fans instead 4Chan and The Donald are saying it's part of his 'master plan' to remove Ryan as the chair. If that is the case he's doing a pretty terrible job so far.

A bill Trumper asked congress to put in front of him. He failed they failed it's a failure, he should stick with golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Itssoeasy wrote:
    I've read that trump didn't impress the freedom caucus when they were asking for bits to be taken out. He's alleged to have said "forget about the little ****" which lead them to believe that he hadnt a clue what was in the bill.

Where did you read that care you share?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Christy42

Itssoeasy wrote: »

I would love seeing him be put on the spot about a detail or two in a press meeting. I imagine he would weasel out of it but I live in hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Christy42

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    Where did you read that care you share?

I saw it here though I presume other sources exist.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/donald-trump-paul-ryan-freedom-caucus-healthcare-obamacare-republicans-house-representatives-senate-a7650036.html

Interesting that he has started his attack on them already on twitter. Curious how the Trump supporter vs Tea Party supporter arguments will go if that kicks off. Helping widen the gaps in his own party, never mind between different parties after 2 months, dude is impressive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,954 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

His support of that bill should have turned off his fans instead 4Chan and The Donald are saying it's part of his 'master plan' to remove Ryan as the chair. If that is the case he's doing a pretty terrible job so far.

The rivers of delusion that normally run through r/The_Donald have become a torrent.

I mean, lawd, they have become unhinged. They are running with the line that the Nunes business is in fact the revelation of spying by Obama that should have remained hidden if Hillary had won the election like she was supposed to.

Thats not even trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Donald earlier today:
    The Freedom Caucus will hurt the entire Republican agenda if they don't get on the team, & fast. We must fight them, & Dems, in 2018!

8 hours later...
    Looks like some in the Freedom Caucus are helping me end #Obamacare.

Based on a single op-ed.

(all the while Clinton Watts is giving disturbing evidence to the senate intelligence committee)

Christy42 wrote: »
    I would love seeing him be put on the spot about a detail or two in a press meeting. I imagine he would weasel out of it but I live in hope.

This was part of the press conference he gave after the failure of the bill
    QUESTION: Do you feel betrayed by the House Freedom Caucus at all? They seemed to be the most difficult...
    (CROSSTALK)
    TRUMP: No, not particularly. They're friends of mine. I'm disappointed because we could have had it. So I'm disappointed. I'm a little surprised, to be honest with you. We really had it. It was pretty much there within grasp.
    But I'll tell you what's going to come out of it is a better bill. I really believe a better bill, because there were things in this bill I didn't particularly like. And I think it's a better bill. You know, both parties can get together and do real health care, that's the best thing. Obamacare was rammed down everyone's throat, 100 percent Democrat. And I think having bipartisan would be a big, big improvement. So, no, I think that this is going to end up being a very good thing.
    I'm disappointed, but they're friends of mine. And, you know, they got on -- it was a very hard time for them and a very hard vote. But they're very good people.
    (CROSSTALK)
    QUESTION: ... necessarily love, what specifically aren't you?
    TRUMP: Well, I think we could have had things that I would have liked more. And if we had bipartisan I really think we could have a health care bill that would be the ultimate. And I think the Democrats know that also.
    And some day in the not too distant future that will happen. And I never said -- I guess I'm here, what, 64 days? I never said repeal and replace Obamacare. You've all heard my speeches. I never said repeal it and replace it within 64 days. I have a long time.
    But I want to have a great health care bill and plan, and we will. It will happen. And it won't be in the very distant future. I really believe there will be some Democrat support and that will happen, and it will be an even better bill.
    I think this was a very good bill. I think it will be even better the next time around. And I don't think that's going to be in too long a period of time.
    QUESTION: Anything specifically you want to see changed going from this bill to the next bill?
    TRUMP: No, I mean, I don't want to speak about specifics, but there are things I could have -- I would have liked even more. But I thought overall this was a very, very good bill.
    http://time.com/4713107/donald-trump-transcript-ahca-bill/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Leroy42 wrote: »
    This was part of the press conference he gave after the failure of the bill

http://time.com/4713107/donald-trump-transcript-ahca-bill/

Detail was never The Donald's strong suit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭BabyCheeses

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/326639-flynn-offers-to-testify-on-russia-ties-in-exchange-for-immunity

Flynn is offering to testify in return for immunity. Looks like he thinks he has been a naughty boy and knows of something that the FBI would like to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Wow, it was doing the rounds a lot over the weekend but as unconfirmed... this is going to be very, very interesting - especially with such a promising start to proceedings from the Senate today, an actual bipartisan effort to investigate.

Odds on us waking up to a Wikileaks 'big reveal' of some sort?

EDIT : Actually maybe scratch that part, apparently the FBI turned him down. They'd want to already have rock solid proof of whatever he was able to offer to do that in a case like this.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/mike-flynn-offers-to-testify-in-exchange-for-immunity-1490912959?mod=e2tw
    He has made the offer to the FBI and the House and Senate intelligence committees through his lawyer but has so far found no takers, the officials said.

For some reason if you click the link through their Twitter account, the pay wall is not there - https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/847576806307897348

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

It's all very interesting now. A lot of people in the_donald subreddit are having second thoughts, his popularity is dropping, he's picking fights. Flynn wants a deal, the media's playing spicer like a fiddle. Ryan's distancing himself a bit. Never even mind the investigations. Even here, his cheerleaders have vanished.

I can't see trump coming back from these problems which were very much self created. The best part is that everything on the internet is there forever. Those who were fooled and those who were complicit have left a timeless recording of which side they were on when the biggest presidential scandal of the last 100 years took place.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

CNN reporting that Kelly's CRIMINAL lawyers were talking to the Senate committee asking for a form of immunity as he has a story to tell but won't tell til a deal is done as he is afraid he'll meet political attack there. CNN also reported that Kelly is offering to talk to the FBI. He'd have to done separate deals with each body first, The FBI might ask for a look at something first before doing an immunity deal first. Thing is the FBI answers to the AG, who is a Trump appointee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Trumps Speech template:
    .... is a better bill. I really believe a better bill, ........ And I think it's a better bill. ...... that's the best thing. ...... a big, big improvement. ...... this is going to end up being a very good thing.

....... that would be the ultimate.......
    ...... a great health care bill and plan, ....... and it will be an even better bill.
    .... a very good bill. ...... be even better the next time around. ......
    ..... overall this was a very, very good bill.

summation:
    everything is tremendous, it's the best. Replace Health care with wall or ban or whatever you want in the sentences, still works.

Just keep saying it, that's how it will work out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Billy86 wrote: »
    Wow, it was doing the rounds a lot over the weekend but as unconfirmed... this is going to be very, very interesting - especially with such a promising start to proceedings from the Senate today, an actual bipartisan effort to investigate.

EDIT : Actually maybe scratch that part, apparently the FBI turned him down. They'd want to already have rock solid proof of whatever he was able to offer to do that in a case like this.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/mike-flynn-offers-to-testify-in-exchange-for-immunity-1490912959?mod=e2tw

For some reason if you click the link through their Twitter account, the pay wall is not there - https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/847576806307897348

Flynn knows the jig is up. He would not be offering unless he knew they had enough to nail him without immunity. This is the last act of a desperate man. What will come next is the negotiation. He will want the same deal Robert Hansson got at a minimum — keep his military retirement, keep his personal property, immunity for his family. My guess — he will get 2 years in minimum security then probation. As a model prisoner he can do 1/3 so 6 months at club Fed. Also, immunity from being charged by the military for violating his NDA. He has done enough to get life behind bars from the military just for that and he knows it.

Also remember that Flynn is the former Director of the Defense Intelligence Agency. So he oversaw the Defense Human Intelligence Service and knows EXACTLY how flexible the law is when it comes to revealing secrets. There is very little proof required because of the reporting requirements that people with classified knowledge have imposed on them. He probably has 20-30 “failure to report” charges having over his head.

This is step one but it is also the end of the beginning. From now on, things will accelerate. Once Flynn talks, he is going to provide what the feds need to get others to talk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭BabyCheeses

It's all very interesting now. A lot of people in the_donald subreddit are having second thoughts, his popularity is dropping, he's picking fights. Flynn wants a deal, the media's playing spicer like a fiddle. Ryan's distancing himself a bit. Never even mind the investigations. Even here, his cheerleaders have vanished.

I can't see trump coming back from these problems which were very much self created. The best part is that everything on the internet is there forever. Those who were fooled and those who were complicit have left a timeless recording of which side they were on when the biggest presidential scandal of the last 100 years took place.

They are? All I can find fromtrump supporters is Clinton foundation, Mexico is totally paying for that wall, and how we need to lower wages so they can be competitive with machines. Flynn is getting completely ignored. Looks like they are several months in the past so may pick it up around June.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭vetinari

This has got to be a first? Your National Security Advisor looking for immunity to testify just over 2 months into your administration.

Could you imagine if this was Hillary Clinton's administration? Or indeed any other president.
    Trump is setting new standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

There's more scandal evolving about who the house intelligence committee chairman nunes went to see last week at the whitehouse.

It seems he was shown classified material and it was shown to him by whitehouse staff that should not have had such material because it concerned the FBI investigation.

Strange times indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭Count Dooku

Billy86 wrote: »

I afraid to disappoint you, but
    https://twitter.com/PrisonPlanet/status/847609406774591488

It looks like USA is back to good old times of mccarthyism, where systematic failures were hiding behind russophobia and witch hunting

• Registered Users Posts: 33,972 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I afraid to disappoint you, but
    https://twitter.com/PrisonPlanet/status/847609406774591488

It looks like USA is back to good old times of mccarthyism, where systematic failures were hiding behind russophobia and witch hunting

Can you point out exactly where that says he hasn't being going around looking for a deal?

Please

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I'm not sure why you think this is disappointing.

Flynn's attorneys are saying "we will not comment right now on the details of discussions between Counsel for General Flynn and the House and Senate Intelligence Committees", but they do point out that "no reasonable person . . . would wish to submit to questioning . . . without assurances against unfair prosecution".

They don't say whether the particular assurance he is seeking is a grant of immunity (though that is I think the only meaningful assurance that the Committees could offer; that's certainly the view I would take if I were Flynn). They neither confirm it, nor deny it. So what they say here is entirely consistent with the Wall Street Journal story; it doesn't contradict it in any way. If anything, it offers a defence or justification of Flynn for taking the position that the WSJ says he is taking.

Yet Paul Joseph Watson, whoever he is, seems to think that this justifies calling the WSJ story "fake news".

I don't think Paul Joseph Watson is that bright, to be honest.

It alludes to it in the opening line, surely you got that far?

"...should the circumstances permit". Do you think he is asking about the availability of free water, or maybe he is looking for expenses!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭Count Dooku

listermint wrote: »
    Can you point out exactly where that says he hasn't being going around looking for a deal?

Please
    Can you point out exactly where that says he is looking for immunity
    Fair investigation without prejudice must be out question in first place, but democrats want hide own failures behind blaming Russia in hope that their yelling will distract attention from fact that Hillary was the worst candidate DNC ever had

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement