Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

President 'The Donald' Trump and Surprising Consequences - Mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Inquitus wrote: »
    President Trump forgets to sign EO's as he exits stage left under media questions. Looks like he's either being petulant or wasn't quite sure what he was there to do.

"Putting the American workers first". Nauseating. Plus the other big dope walked off clueless and oblivious as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Cripes, that's embarrassing.
    Just shows the place is a bloody mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

President Trump forgets to sign EO's as he exits stage left under media questions. Looks like he's either being petulant or wasn't quite sure what he was there to do.

Forget about looking like an idiot (nothing new tbh) he actually just looks like a bystander in this clip.

Pence lays out all the lies and complete bull**** details included in the plan, Trump makes a dumb soundbite, and then walks out the room while Pence is left there to chase after him and remind him that there's a piece of paper, a pen and a group of reporters there for a reason.

Pence actually acts like a parent reminding their child to do something after they've just stormed off in a huff.

I think it's clear to see who's looking like the President at the moment. I half-expected him to sit down and sign the ****in thing once Donald closed the door.

Edit: To quote someone from Reddit "Pence must have a Christ-approved hardon. He's so close to becoming president." :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Wow........

That manchild looks like he under some serious pressure.

It's great :)

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

melloa wrote: »
    why is everyone here against coal,

it's a fantastic fuel
    Ignoring all the environmental issues with coal that cause irreparable harm, another small problem is hardly anyone uses it anymore. Even coal execs are saying this won't be bringing jobs back.

Seems to me though that Donald wanted to get the f*** away from the cameras and media as quickly as he possibly could, even to the point of barely speaking from the podium he loves ever so much. Which is extremely odd for him. I wonder why he might be acting so strange?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Billy86 wrote: »
    Ignoring all the environmental issues with coal that cause irreparable harm, another small problem is hardly anyone uses it anymore. Even coal execs are saying this won't be bringing jobs back.

Seems to me though that Donald wanted to get the f*** away from the cameras and media as quickly as he possibly could, even to the point of barely speaking from the podium he loves ever so much. Which is extremely odd for him. I wonder why he might be acting so strange?

Níl aon tóin tinn mar do thóin tinn féin.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭melloa

fair enough,

maybe we could sell turf to the americans

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Just for the record he spoke for several minutes before the VP. It's on the White House Youtube channel. However the WH version ends abruptly as he starts to walk from the podium :D

fair enough,

maybe we could sell turf to the americans

Well with the deregulation coming into effect we'd stand to make a killing. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭melloa

Well with the deregulation coming into effect we'd stand to make a killing. :D

theyd burn all our turf in a day :D

at least trump isnt the main headlines here anymore,

we have our own trumps :D

• Advertisement

theyd burn all our turf in a day :D

at least trump isnt the main headlines here anymore,

we have our own trumps :D

Ah yes, but what a day it would be!

Then again we literally give away oil when we find it so...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

He was late for another round of golf; it's Friday after all so it's time to spend another 3 million USD to go golfing at his own resort.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,539 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Water John wrote: »
    Cripes, that's embarrassing.
    Just shows the place is a bloody mess.

If it's not signed, it's not in effect. Seems like it took 4 hours. One of the orders is typical DC wasteage - 90 days of study. Uhuh.

Wilburrrr Ross has better stage presence. Trump is just tics and fidgets and clumsiness in person. Amazing to me that someone in charge of a business empire is such a poor speaker and presenter. Let alone how generally ignorant he's been shown to be. "Healthcare is hard."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Kitsunegari

Oh hey, look everybody - a Vikileaks dump emerged today!!

What an absolute shambles they have made of themselves in this affair. :pac:

There is no doubt that Russia is supporting Assange but I don't see what is wrong with what they're doing either. It's not as if they have been fabricating information. So what the Russians are using Asange to release information? It's still relevant.

It's incredible how partisan some Irish people are about American politics. Relevant information is important regardless of who is releasing it. The intelligence community have completely abused their powers yet people don't care because it doesn't support the anti-Trump narrative.

How anyone can support either side is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,423 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

It seems Trump has bought Irelands tallest building, Liberty Tower and plans to build a 32 story hotel on the site.

It'll be interesting to watch this getting railroaded through the planning process. Will Trump threaten us or bribe us?
    Maybe both

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Akrasia wrote: »
    It seems Trump has bought Irelands tallest building, Liberty Tower and plans to build a 32 story hotel on the site.

It'll be interesting to watch this getting railroaded through the planning process. Will Trump threaten us or bribe us?
    Maybe both

Embarrassing........ :)

You do know what date today is

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 13,539 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

More on the weaponization of social media by Russia worldwide, not just US.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politica/2017/03/how_russia_capitalizes_on_american_racism_and_xenophobia.html

Summary: "That was the message of Thursday’s testimony before the Senate Intelligence Committee on Russian interference in the 2016 election: Putin’s propagandists helped Trump, and weakened our country and our alliances, by posing as right-wing Americans and stoking fear of immigrants and minorities."

The only thing the article misses, is that America was ripe for this (as was England with Brexit.) It's the loss of character in the western world that lets the venom in. Generations of contempt for education and intellectual achievement has come home to roost. If it hadn't been Trump in the US, it'd have been someone smoother - Cruz? Ted Cotton? Ron Paul? Just a matter of time.

And the djinn's out of the bottle now. Even if Trump resigns.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,766 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

There is no doubt that Russia is supporting Assange but I don't see what is wrong with what they're doing either. It's not as if they have been fabricating information. So what the Russians are using Asange to release information? It's still relevant.
    How relevant though?

Do we need to know that the CIA could use a particular brand of TV to spy on people? Maybe in a tinfoil hat wearing way we might. But in the overall scheme of things, being able to possibly use such devices should be very low down our needs hierarchy.

So that particular revelation and it's associated info dump were designed to damage and reduce the US intelligence agencies' effectiveness. That's hardly inconsequential and has only one main beneficiary. That's what's wrong with Wikileaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

It's incredible how partisan some Irish people are about American politics. Relevant information is important regardless of who is releasing it. The intelligence community have completely abused their powers yet people don't care because it doesn't support the anti-Trump narrative.

How anyone can support either side is beyond me.

Releasing some relevant and not releasing other relevant information on the other hand suggests a lack of balance. If you're in the transparency business which someone claimed to be back in the early days, you don't editorialise on the basis of one side or the other.

I am not partisan about American politics but I expect that if your leader is also going to be a major world leader, you would want to be electing someone competent which I have doubts about in Trump's case, and someone who is reasonably clean on the playing by the rules which apply to everyone else front which, well, it'd help to see his tax records to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/848153860602507264?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fthehill.com%2Fhomenews%2Fadministration%2F326830-trump-tells-nbc-to-stop-covering-russia-story

"When will the media stop reporting on what's actually happening and start reporting the bull**** I made up out of my arse to distract everyone from it?"

This is about as desperate as it gets for Trump. He's actually pleading to the media to not expose the dirty deal he did with Russia and the treasonous acts he committed.

I won't even bother commenting on the fact the President just insulted a random US citizen on their appearance. It's been abundantly clear before he was even inaugurated that he's just a douchebag, let alone 'presidential'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/848153860602507264?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fthehill.com%2Fhomenews%2Fadministration%2F326830-trump-tells-nbc-to-stop-covering-russia-story

"When will the media stop reporting on what's actually happening and start reporting the bull**** I made up out of my arse to distract everyone from it?"

This is about as desperate as it gets for Trump. He's actually pleading to the media to not expose the dirty deal he did with Russia and the treasonous acts he committed.

I won't even bother commenting on the fact the President just insulted a random US citizen on their appearance. It's been abundantly clear before he was even inaugurated that he's just a douchebag, let alone 'presidential'.

He's getting panicky. Hopefully he'll be in jail fairly soon for treason.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

White House casting Flynn adrift. Showing his incorrect disclosure form.

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2017/0402/864537-flynn-russia-disclosures/

I hope to God he let's rip and tells the whole story. He's as dirty as them, but at least if they're at war they'll take each other down.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Christy42

I am confused. I thought Flynn was merely the victim of a witch hunt and yet now even the white house is admitting he acted improperly?

I sure we can expect a full apology from the white house for their slander against the media which has, once again, been proven correct (in fairness we knew they were right about Flynn weeks ago as well but hey).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,652 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

So Flynn not only lied to VP, he kept his Turkish links quiet now now it appears that he lied on official returns.

At this point (well before this in normal world) Trump would have come out to denounce Flynn and say he was disappointed and had believed what he was told etc etc. Commend the IA for uncovering such a potential security risk blah blah.

That would paint him in a much better light that the constant refrain that its all a witch hunt and HC and Obama etc etc.

You really have to question why the admin hasn't come out with something like that. There is, IMO, only two possible reasons.

1) Trump is staying loyal to Flynn who he believes has been wronged. The problem with this theory is that Trump has never shown any loyalty to others. The likes of Christie, Guiliani etc.
    2) Trump cannot come out against Flynn as Flynn knows too much. I have no idea of this but I cannot understand any other reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I've been impressed with just how poor Trump has been in office. I heard one (Republican) talking head describe it as the worst 100 days of any US president in his lifetime (and he recalled JFK had the Bay of Pigs in his first 100 days).

Accomplishments:
    1. Cancelled TTIP trade deal by EO - A positive outcome for most American workers.

Failures:
    1. Trump was elected as the 'anti-drone strike' candidate. Obama carried out on average 1 drone strike/raid every 5.4 days. Trump has massively increased this to 1 drone strike/raid every 1.25 days. That is a fourfold increase.
    2. Trump authorised the disastrous Yakla raid in Yemen by Navy Seals. The primary target of the raid was not achieved, no useful intelligence was recovered, 1 Navy Seal killed and 3 wounded and a 70 million dollar helicopter was destroyed. 25 civilians were killed, including 9 children under the age of 13 one of whom was a 3 month old baby, the other an 8 year old girl with US citizenship. The father of the US Navy Seal killed refused to meet Trump personally and has called for an investigation into how the raid was planned and approved.
    3. Trumps first big legislative effort, to repeal and replace Obamacare has entirely failed. The guy who described himself as the deal closer and the only man who could make Washington work completed failed despite the Republicans controlling all the legislative levers. Trump has publicly abandoned any further efforts to repeal and replace Obamacare.
    4. His appointment to National Security Adviser, Mike Flynn was forced to resign after just 24 days after lying about his links to the Russian state. This embarrassing incident displays at the very least incredibly poor judgement by Trump. As it is, Flynn is now seeking immunity to testify on Russian links to the Trump campaign. Flynn himself pointed out just a few months ago that if someone seeks immunity, they are usually guilty.
    5. Following meetings with the heads of US Pharma in January, Trump has abandoned his pledge to allow Medicare to negotiate bulk discounts on the prescription drugs it purchases from US Pharama.
    6. Trumps signature "Build a Wall and make Mexico pay for it" policy is wheezing along. The estimated cost has doubled since 2016 to 20 billion. The US is going to pay for it, not Mexico.
    7. Trumps other signature policy "Ban Muslims" has failed, repeatedly. His first EO led to absolute chaos before the US justice system killed it. His second attempt at a Muslim ban is also stopped by the US justice system and by all accounts will ultimately fail as well.
    8. Trump has done what he can to alienate American allies. He has berated the Australian PM on a phone call, offended European allies in NATO and the EU, and relations with Mexico are in the freezer.
    9. Trump has been criticised by his own Supreme Court justice nominee, for the attacks by Trump on US judges. This highlights the unacceptable nature of the attacks themselves, and his lack of personal authority.
    10. Trump has repeatedly embarrassed himself, his administration, his supporters and the US itself by his rambling, incoherent and deranged pronouncements on Twitter and at press conferences. His greatest hits have included: inventing some sort attack that was meant to have occurred in Sweden, comparing his intelligence services to the nazis, squabbling with the media repeatedly, becoming obsessed with the size of his hands inauguration crowds, his loss of the popular vote, and of course claiming he was the victim of wiretapping by the Obama administration.

It is very arguable that Trump is a lame duck President only 3 months into his regime. The Republican Party feels completely free to openly defy him and ignore his bluster, and even his own nominations feel obliged to publicly distance themselves from him and his positions and he just can’t shake the links to the Russian intelligence services. Whatever political capital he had has rapidly been expended.

We could see a President Pence before the end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Christy42

Leroy42 wrote: »
    So Flynn not only lied to VP, he kept his Turkish links quiet now now it appears that he lied on official returns.

At this point (well before this in normal world) Trump would have come out to denounce Flynn and say he was disappointed and had believed what he was told etc etc. Commend the IA for uncovering such a potential security risk blah blah.

That would paint him in a much better light that the constant refrain that its all a witch hunt and HC and Obama etc etc.

You really have to question why the admin hasn't come out with something like that. There is, IMO, only two possible reasons.

1) Trump is staying loyal to Flynn who he believes has been wronged. The problem with this theory is that Trump has never shown any loyalty to others. The likes of Christie, Guiliani etc.
    2) Trump cannot come out against Flynn as Flynn knows too much. I have no idea of this but I cannot understand any other reason.

Exactly. Flynn's guilt shows that there is no witch hunt. Trump's administration has been shown to have had plenty illegal going on and Trump tried to brush of any investigation as illegal.

Every time Trump says witch hunt Flynn needs to be brought up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Sand wrote: »
    I've been impressed with just how poor Trump has been in office. I heard one (Republican) talking head describe it as the worst 100 days of any US president in his lifetime (and he recalled JFK had the Bay of Pigs in his first 100 days).

Accomplishments:
    1. Cancelled TTIP trade deal by EO - A positive outcome for most American workers.

Failures:
    1. Trump was elected as the 'anti-drone strike' candidate. Obama carried out on average 1 drone strike/raid every 5.4 days. Trump has massively increased this to 1 drone strike/raid every 1.25 days. That is a fourfold increase.
    2. Trump authorised the disastrous Yakla raid in Yemen by Navy Seals. The primary target of the raid was not achieved, no useful intelligence was recovered, 1 Navy Seal killed and 3 wounded and a 70 million dollar helicopter was destroyed. 25 civilians were killed, including 9 children under the age of 13 one of whom was a 3 month old baby, the other an 8 year old girl with US citizenship. The father of the US Navy Seal killed refused to meet Trump personally and has called for an investigation into how the raid was planned and approved.
    3. Trumps first big legislative effort, to repeal and replace Obamacare has entirely failed. The guy who described himself as the deal closer and the only man who could make Washington work completed failed despite the Republicans controlling all the legislative levers. Trump has publicly abandoned any further efforts to repeal and replace Obamacare.
    4. His appointment to National Security Adviser, Mike Flynn was forced to resign after just 24 days after lying about his links to the Russian state. This embarrassing incident displays at the very least incredibly poor judgement by Trump. As it is, Flynn is now seeking immunity to testify on Russian links to the Trump campaign. Flynn himself pointed out just a few months ago that if someone seeks immunity, they are usually guilty.
    5. Following meetings with the heads of US Pharma in January, Trump has abandoned his pledge to allow Medicare to negotiate bulk discounts on the prescription drugs it purchases from US Pharama.
    6. Trumps signature "Build a Wall and make Mexico pay for it" policy is wheezing along. The estimated cost has doubled since 2016 to 20 billion. The US is going to pay for it, not Mexico.
    7. Trumps other signature policy "Ban Muslims" has failed, repeatedly. His first EO led to absolute chaos before the US justice system killed it. His second attempt at a Muslim ban is also stopped by the US justice system and by all accounts will ultimately fail as well.
    8. Trump has done what he can to alienate American allies. He has berated the Australian PM on a phone call, offended European allies in NATO and the EU, and relations with Mexico are in the freezer.
    9. Trump has been criticised by his own Supreme Court justice nominee, for the attacks by Trump on US judges. This highlights the unacceptable nature of the attacks themselves, and his lack of personal authority.
    10. Trump has repeatedly embarrassed himself, his administration, his supporters and the US itself by his rambling, incoherent and deranged pronouncements on Twitter and at press conferences. His greatest hits have included: inventing some sort attack that was meant to have occurred in Sweden, comparing his intelligence services to the nazis, squabbling with the media repeatedly, becoming obsessed with the size of his hands inauguration crowds, his loss of the popular vote, and of course claiming he was the victim of wiretapping by the Obama administration.

It is very arguable that Trump is a lame duck President only 3 months into his regime. The Republican Party feels completely free to openly defy him and ignore his bluster, and even his own nominations feel obliged to publicly distance themselves from him and his positions and he just can’t shake the links to the Russian intelligence services. Whatever political capital he had has rapidly been expended.

We could see a President Pence before the end of the year.

I wonder what odds are being offered at this stage for an impeachment? Might be worth a punt or two.

The Russian affair is really threatening to tear apart the Republican party. You have Congressmen like Nunes, who are seemingly doing everything they can to stymie the investigative process. This information is going to come out, only question is when and how many people are implicated in the scandal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I wonder what odds are being offered at this stage for an impeachment? Might be worth a punt or two.

The Russian affair is really threatening to tear apart the Republican party. You have Congressmen like Nunes, who are seemingly doing everything they can to stymie the investigative process. This information is going to come out, only question is when and how many people are implicated in the scandal.

The thing is the Republicans have a number of ways to dispose of him where they are seen to be 'doing the right thing'.

He has failed to divest himself of his assets so they can build up a case of a kleptocracy. The Yakla raid could become Trumps Benghazi, with Trump being painted as being reckless with American lives. The Russia links may not amount to more than Trump being a useful idiot, but cause enough to get rid. And he is very likely to continuing vomiting up more and more excuses to impeach him by his social media activity.

You can be sure Paul Ryan will happily stick the knife in his back when it seems best for Paul Ryan. Trump is very vulnerable with no natural political allies, but he probably doesn't realise it.

In a way, the removal of Trump wont necessarily be a good thing. He came to power by claiming to represent working class Americans who have been wholly abandoned by both the Democrats and the Republicans. While Trump may go, those working class Americans will continue to be denied any real representation by either party.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement