Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

President 'The Donald' Trump and Surprising Consequences - Mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,257 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Billy86 wrote: »
    I hold myself to the standard I would hold the media and other anti trump people to. This is a non story and is the kind of gotcha stuff that I can't stand.
    It's really dumb and shows his utter incompetence (again) but I would have to agree - far more important is what is going on with the daily Russian developments, for a start.

That said, that his apology came on CNN is f***ing golden! :pac:

And it shows how he's desperately free styling trying to justify the complete 180 on Assad without allowing room to be accused of agreeing with obama's stance.

Font get me wrong, I'm loving he shadenfreude but it's basically a fad ad nothing more and he apologised do it's in the past

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Keep an eye on something coming out on Bannon, comment from Trump: "I like Steve, but you have to remember he was not involved in my campaign until very late, I had already beaten all the senators and all the governors, and I didn't know Steve. I'm my own strategist, and it wasn't like I was going to change strategies because I was facing crooked Hillary."

However back in August: "I have known Steve and Kellyanne both for many years. They are extremely capable, highly qualified people who love to win and know how to win.

The source for that second quote? www.DonaldJTrump.com - Trump's official website.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I dont see how Bannon can survive this, even trump is starting to marginalise him. Maybe if trump expresses support for him later on today but thats unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Keep an eye on something coming out on Bannon, comment from Trump: "I like Steve, but you have to remember he was not involved in my campaign until very late, I had already beaten all the senators and all the governors, and I didn't know Steve. I'm my own strategist, and it wasn't like I was going to change strategies because I was facing crooked Hillary."

However back in August: "I have known Steve and Kellyanne both for many years. They are extremely capable, highly qualified people who love to win and know how to win.

The source for that second quote? www.DonaldJTrump.com - Trump's official website.

Though Trump is stupid, those words were carefully chosen to distance him from some crap on Bannon that's about to emerge.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

It could also be just an outcome of Bannon's sidelining? By saying he was never that important, he could be trying to play down the significance of a key advisor being frozen out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,423 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I don't see Bannon going silently into the night.

Trump was made by the likes of Breitbart, they have a direct channel of communication to his most staunch supporters. If Bannon feels like he is betrayed, there could well be some explosive stories on Breitbart about Trump

Akrasia wrote: »
    I don't see Bannon going silently into the night.

Trump was made by the likes of Breitbart, they have a direct channel of communication to his most staunch supporters. If Bannon feels like he is betrayed, there could well be some explosive stories on Breitbart about Trump

Well, when you stuff your cabinet full of cronies who have no political experience, family members who have no political experience and extremist advisors who have no political experience, it's to be expected that it will crumble. Plus there are a lot of hostages to fortune. Trump is so compromised, he's probably afraid to breathe at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

He boasted in August 2015 that he was de facto Trump's campaign manager.
    Bannon's emails to his former Hollywood writing partner Julia Jones show he at least had reason to believe he had Trump's ear. In emails reviewed by The Daily Beast, Bannon brags about his political influence.
    I'm Trump's campaign manager,†Bannon wrote in an email sent on August 30, 2015 to Jones, who provided the email to The Daily Beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Something compromising may be coming out on Bannon. That would be par for the course, excusing a golfing pun, for Trump. Like Manafort, you become a person that was slightly involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,539 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Water John wrote: »
    Something compromising may be coming out on Bannon. That would be par for the course, excusing a golfing pun, for Trump. Like Manafort, you become a person that was slightly involved.

Bannon's been feuding with Kushner... now, what is it about Kushner that Bannon might not like, hmm? His access to the President - maybe, probably has more than Bannon given he's his son-in-law. His... religion? Bannon is a Leninist-wannabe, tear it all down, how *did* that work out for Vlad..

Bannon has no problem with it, right, after all he ran that lovely site for so long and didn't want his kids attending schools that failed his religion test...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭Harika

Trump now backpedaling, Nato is not obsolete, China is not manipulating its currency, Dollar is too strong (and that's his fault lol) Basically after talking with other people, he changes his stance every day and moves further and further away from his election promises. Obamacare is still in place, no wall to be seen, tax reform/cuts very complicated and so on.
    Funnily enough people in Europe are not learning from his failure and as soon as a business man talks about politics (like Mateschitz owner of RedBull recently did in Austria) put up the wish that a proven business man takes he helm at a country and shows how it is to be done. Before him it was Frank Stronach, who created a political party and one of his promises was that he would reintroduce the death penalty for professional killers, as they are bad for business. (Yes he really said that)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,708 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Harika wrote: »
    Trump now backpedaling, Nato is not obsolete, China is not manipulating its currency, Dollar is too strong (and that's his fault lol) Basically after talking with other people, he changes his stance every day and moves further and further away from his election promises. Obamacare is still in place, no wall to be seen, tax reform/cuts very complicated and so on.
    Funnily enough people in Europe are not learning from his failure and as soon as a business man talks about politics (like Mateschitz owner of RedBull recently did in Austria) put up the wish that a proven business man takes he helm at a country and shows how it is to be done. Before him it was Frank Stronach, who created a political party and one of his promises was that he would reintroduce the death penalty for professional killers, as they are bad for business. (Yes he really said that)

Don saying that the dollar was too strong for US exports, because he was president, and wanted it weaker to help US exports, sounded like he was asking for the dollar to fluctuate on money markets...... manipulation?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Igotadose wrote: »
    Bannon's been feuding with Kushner... now, what is it about Kushner that Bannon might not like, hmm?
    From what I read it's basically Bannon wants Trump government to be about dismantling government and cutting heads; Kushner wants Trumps presidency be about making the Trump family richer.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Trump now backpedaling, Nato is not obsolete,...

He is trying to claim that NATO is no longer obsolete due to him previously complaining about them and that NATO have now changed because of that.
    Trump wrote:
    "I complained about that a long time ago and they made a change, and now they do fight terrorism.
    "I said it [Nato] was obsolete. It's no longer obsolete."

Wasn't it only January that he was accusing NATO of being obsolete? That is hardly a "long time ago" and not aware of any change in NATO policies since then due to Trump complaining.

He also still doesn't understand how the %of GDP being spent on defence thing works and is trying to suggest that the US is owed money for it's NATO services.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Nody wrote: »
    From what I read it's basically Bannon wants Trump government to be about dismantling government and cutting heads; Kushner wants Trumps presidency be about making the Trump family richer.

Not a bad summary, but I would add Trump wants to use the Presidency to make Trump richer.

robinph wrote: »
    He is trying to claim that NATO is no longer obsolete due to him previously complaining about them and that NATO have now changed because of that.

Wasn't it only January that he was accusing NATO of being obsolete? That is hardly a "long time ago" and not aware of any change in NATO policies since then due to Trump complaining.

He also still doesn't understand how the %of GDP being spent on defence thing works and is trying to suggest that the US is owed money for it's NATO services.

Trump is stupid. The people who believe what he says are even more stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Really Interested

The problem is trump surporters are snowflakes and don't like been called stupid.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The problem is trump surporters are snowflakes and don't like been called stupid.

Up the standard please.

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Up the standard please.

Apologies.

• Advertisement

Sorry Mod, found that funny. Upping the standard on a thread about Donald Trump.
    Anyone posting on that subject is used to low standards.

Hope I don't get a card for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Trump isn't stupid.

But he appears to be ignorant and lacks a desire to obtain knowledge. He wants everything in a neat little box.

His supporters, much like supporters of football teams or other political parties, appear to be of the same ilk. They don't understand the complexities of the issues, and neither do they seem to care much for them.

Trump appears to be easily swayed. Take the latest Bannon rumours. It was only 80 days ago that he was talked about as being the main man in power, and now he is being cast aside.

His 180 on Taiwan, on Nato, on China, on the currency etc etc. He is devoid of an actual plan, he simply reacts. Now that can be useful, sometimes people try to be too clever and never actually do anything for fear of doing something wrong. I think Obama suffered from this in terms of gun control and action in Syria etc. It can also have serious consequences.

IMO, if Trump is to be successful he needs to surround himself with people who have experience and skill in the areas he does not. He can continue to be the action man, cutting through the red-tape, draining the swamp etc, but based on strong fundamental arguments. He has failed to do this, preferring to surround himself with inexperienced loyalists. Failure with the immigration EO's and the health plan is simply down to lack of experience and ability.

Given the the GOP controls each branch there is no reason for Trump not to be able to achieve everything he wants (within the limits of the constitution!)

robinph wrote: »

I almost feel sorry for him. He has a number of problems.

Firstly, I don't believe that he has the intellect required to be POTUS. By comparison, Obama and Clinton (and to a lesser degree Bush) were highly intelligent and educated.

Secondly, he has no experience of politics. Zero experience. Again, by comparison, Obama, Clinton and Bush were seasoned politicians.

Thirdly, he is coping with dysfunctional narcissism to the point where psychiatrists and psychologists have expressed concern about his mental health. His narcissism is evident from his tweets and his inability to cope with any criticism.

Fourthly, he has surrounded himself with cronies, family and far right 'advisors' who have zero political experience.

Fifthly, he is in a toxic symbiotic relationship with the GOP who have no allegiance whatsoever to this celebrity who parachuted in to become POTUS. In fact, much of the GOP harbours great resentment towards him.

Sixthly, his very first act as POTUS was to alienate most of the media who are now utterly focussed on destroying his presidency.

Seventhly, if you lie down with dogs you get up with fleas. Trump has been involved in so many dodgy dealings over the years that the intel agencies will have more than enough on him to bring him down at a time of their choosing.

In the above context, Trump is actually doing relatively ok though he is flip flopping around the place like a dying salmon. But there is no doubt that he will implode sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,456 ✭✭✭weisses

Secondly, he has no experience of politics. Zero experience. Again, by comparison, Obama, Clinton and Bush were seasoned politicians.

I kinda liked the idea of having a POTUS with no experience in politics .... As to just shake up Washington, But you need someone with a different skill set to pull that off :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

I almost feel sorry for him. He has a number of problems.

Firstly, I don't believe that he has the intellect required to be POTUS. By comparison, Obama and Clinton (and to a lesser degree Bush) were highly intelligent and educated.

Thirdly, he is coping with dysfunctional narcissism to the point where psychiatrists and psychologists have expressed concern about his mental health. His narcissism is evident from his tweets and his inability to cope with any criticism.

Fourthly, he has surrounded himself with cronies, family and far right 'advisors' who have zero political experience.

Fifthly, he is in a toxic symbiotic relationship with the GOP who have no allegiance whatsoever to this celebrity who parachuted in to become POTUS. In fact, much of the GOP harbours great resentment towards him.

Sixthly, his very first act as POTUS was to alienate most of the media who are now utterly focussed on destroying his presidency.

Seventhly, if you lie down with dogs you get up with fleas. Trump has been involved in so many dodgy dealings over the years that the intel agencies will have more than enough on him to bring him down at a time of their choosing.

In the above context, Trump is actually doing relatively ok though he is flip flopping around the place like a dying salmon. But there is no doubt that he will implode sooner rather than later.

Not sure he will implode. He is showing a canny knack of surviving, twisting and turning. He is behaving like a slippery business man, like he is and it's working for him. He is not worried about the broader issues, but what is good for him.

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Not sure he will implode. He is showing a canny knack of surviving, twisting and turning. He is behaving like a slippery business man, like he is and it's working for him. He is not worried about the broader issues, but what is good for him.

I agree but I think he has bitten off much more than he can chew. His childish tweets are an insight into how his mind works. Basically, he's incapable of deep thought so he simply reacts. That's fine when you're a rich kid, failed 'businessman' billionaire celebrity, but not when you are the most powerful man in the world. At best, he'll be sidelined into irrelevance and he'll resign petulantly. At worst, he'll do something very stupid that precipitates a global crisis.

I hope I'm completely wrong and he turns out to be an amazing statesman!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,423 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The problem with this is that when he can quickly change from one position to the exact opposite position based on the last person he talked to, he is liable to do almost anything on a whim at zero notice.

One of his few consistent positions on foreign policy is that he will not discuss military action before he does it.
    I don’t have to tell you what I’m going to do in North Korea, and I don’t have to tell you what I’m going to do with Iran. You know why? Because they shouldn’t know, and eventually you guys are going to get tired of asking that question. So when you ask me what am I going to do with a ship, with a Russian ship as an example, I’m not going to tell you, but hopefully, I won’t have to do anything, but I’m not going to tell you
    http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/melanie-arter/trump-i-dont-talk-about-military-response
    This means he could be planning a full scale invasion of Syria right now for all we know

• Registered Users Posts: 20,257 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Not a bad summary, but I would add Trump wants to use the Presidency to make Trump richer.

Rich isn't the right word though. Money is one thing but power is the other side of money. It snot really about having stuff or money in the bank. It's about setting up a Dynasty. I maintain that he won't leave office in 4 or 8 years without a fight unless he's being replaced by a family member.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,948 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I see that Donald isn't saying whether he actually signed off on dropping the big lad on afghanistan. So is he trying to say that the army top brass went on a solo run ? I find that HIGHLY doubtful.

• Advertisement

Same as before. If it works out well, he''ll claim the credit. Dump it on McMaster if the strike is a failure. No Armed Forces leader.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement