Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

President 'The Donald' Trump and Surprising Consequences - Mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,539 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Ivanka Trump gets booed after she claims her father is a champion for families at a panel discussion in Germany. She also goes on to blame her fathers reputation on the media. Despite the white house pushing her image as a moderate influence she's no different from the rest of them.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/04/25/ivanka-trump-wants-to-help-female-entrepreneurs-they-say-her-dad-is-making-their-work-harder/?utm_term=.3eaeb45b479c
    Just another grifter in on the con. Saw a great line in the comments on that article - "The Trumps going to Washington is like the Corleones going to Tahoe."

Trying to gain respectability for a group of the lowest form of slime suckers, a real estate baron - real estate! - with a bevy of ex-wives, narcissistic personality disorder, and low intelligence.

But, the saddest thing I read about Trump in the last few days is here: http://edition.cnn.com/2017/04/24/opinions/polls-positive-trump-opinion-zelizer/index.html?iid=ob_article_organicsidebar_expansion

"He is still doing extraordinarily well with his supporters: 96% of those who voted for him say they would do it again."

Kind of says it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,640 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Igotadose wrote: »
    "He is still doing extraordinarily well with his supporters: 96% of those who voted for him say they would do it again."

Kind of says it all.

It does create a real problem for the Dems, and something that HC ran into. And a real problem across all democracies, as it was clear in the Brexit vote that facts weren't really part of it (that applies to both sides). People made their minds up on a perception.

If his supporters are not interested in facts, are not interested in the truth and are willing to give his high ratings on his first 100 days, then apart from impeachment what really can they throw at him?

Perception is what got him the WH, perception will keep him there. People only want to see what they want. It will take a real genius plan to beat him next time as sending out a normal politician just won't cut the mustard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I'd doubt that to be honest - he ran against one of the worst candidates either party has produced in a long time in terms of charisma, built up hate against her over the years, etc, had the FBI nudge it in his favour as well by bringing up the emails just before the election but keeping hush on the Russia investigation, and still just won by a whisker in a number of key states. Not only that, but since getting into office he's done an absolutely incredible job at mobilising support against him, my guess is a lot of people who stayed at home in November would not have done so having seen the clusterf*ck with genuinely nasty intentions that the last 100-odd days has been.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Leroy42 wrote: »
    It does create a real problem for the Dems, and something that HC ran into. And a real problem across all democracies, as it was clear in the Brexit vote that facts weren't really part of it (that applies to both sides). People made their minds up on a perception.

If his supporters are not interested in facts, are not interested in the truth and are willing to give his high ratings on his first 100 days, then apart from impeachment what really can they throw at him?

Perception is what got him the WH, perception will keep him there. People only want to see what they want. It will take a real genius plan to beat him next time as sending out a normal politician just won't cut the mustard.

yes but the fall from grace when your supporters turn against you is equally spectacular

• Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

What can you believe? Even Ivanka's clothes line are in question.

https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/shortcuts/2017/apr/25/why-ivanka-trump-designs-appearing-under-adrienne-vittadini-name

NK being used to deflect, no doubt about that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

According to Jason Chaffetz today, "I see no data to support the notion that Gen. Flynn complied with the law,". For anyone unaware of who Chaffetz is, he's not exactly some liberal. He's in charge of the United States House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform (see wikipedia for more) and loves to spend his free time investigating Benghazi and/or Hillary. He's very much your standard partisan.

He appears to be changing his tune from previously downplaying the Flynn resignation. Chaffetz's statement wouldn't be that strange if it came from a Dem but it's a little more interesting when said by a Trumper.

In related news, Chaffetz also requested documents relating to Flynn from the WH and was politely denied. On the same day, he announced that he might not complete his term.

Nothing strange going on here, no sirree.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

According to Jason Chaffetz today, "I see no data to support the notion that Gen. Flynn complied with the law,". For anyone unaware of who Chaffetz is, he's not exactly some liberal. He's in charge of the United States House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform (see wikipedia for more) and loves to spend his free time investigating Benghazi and/or Hillary. He's very much your standard partisan.

He appears to be changing his tune from previously downplaying the Flynn resignation. Chaffetz's statement wouldn't be that strange if it came from a Dem but it's a little more interesting when said by a Trumper.

In related news, Chaffetz also requested documents relating to Flynn from the WH and was politely denied. On the same day, he announced that he might not complete his term.

Nothing strange going on here, no sirree.

Chaffetz is resigning soon and not seeking re-election. This is a guy who's stated life goal is to seek re-election. There's some major dirt on him coming out soon. Plenty of rumours flying around Washington, which is ironic given the Benghazi ****e he spread. Trump was the worst possible thing to happen to his career.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Chaffetz is resigning soon and not seeking re-election. This is a guy who's stated life goal is to seek re-election. There's some major dirt on him coming out soon. Plenty of rumours flying around Washington, which is ironic given the Benghazi ****e he spread. Trump was the worst possible thing to happen to his career.

What are the stories? he's not involved with the Russians is he!

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    What are the stories? he's not involved with the Russians is he!

Kompromat from Russia/Long running Affair/He's gay are the main ones. We'll probably find out soon. It has to be fairly explosive to get rid of a toad as ambitious as him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Igotadose wrote: »
    Just another grifter in on the con. Saw a great line in the comments on that article - "The Trumps going to Washington is like the Corleones going to Tahoe."

Trying to gain respectability for a group of the lowest form of slime suckers, a real estate baron - real estate! - with a bevy of ex-wives, narcissistic personality disorder, and low intelligence.

But, the saddest thing I read about Trump in the last few days is here: http://edition.cnn.com/2017/04/24/opinions/polls-positive-trump-opinion-zelizer/index.html?iid=ob_article_organicsidebar_expansion

Kind of says it all.

John Oliver does a great piece on her and the husband in this weeks "Last Week Tonight". Not sure if I can link it here or is it not the kind of thing to be posted on the pol forum but it was an eye opener.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Kitsunegari

You seem to dislike him because he tried to hold people accountable for their actions. What Benghazi '****e' did he spread?

I'm guessing your a democrat and Clinton supporter?

Chaffetz and Gowdy really have rattled a few cages in the past year, very sensitive partisan cages at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

I am disappointed in Trump.

The wall was his top priority, now it's being pushed back. Get on with it, that's why you were voted in.
    Also seems to be easing up on immigrants. Protect the borders at all costs.
    Back tracking on relationship with Russia. Threatening Syria/Iran/N Korea.
    I want to see those trade wars.
    Where is this Make America great again now, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Rightwing wrote: »

The wall was his top priority, now it's being pushed back. Get on with it, that's why you were voted in.

If you thought he'd actually do any of the things in a timely fashion, then i'd respectively say you were sold a bill of goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

CNN is reporting that a federal judge has blocked the trump administration's threat to take away funds from sanctuary cities. :D:D I wonder how long before trump wil just chuck the front door keys to the guy at the gate and go back to New York.

Kompromat from Russia/Long running Affair/He's gay are the main ones. We'll probably find out soon. It has to be fairly explosive to get rid of a toad as ambitious as him.

To be honest I can't stand Chaffetz, but my guess is it's just pragmatism in terms of which side he is on when the sh*t hits the fan - he doesn't want to become another Nunes. There's a good deal of talk of him not even finishing his term (so getting out before it gets ugly) and returning in 2018 (or 2020? Can't remember) to run for a more prestigious seat.

You seem to dislike him because he tried to hold people accountable for their actions. What Benghazi '****e' did he spread?

I'm guessing your a democrat and Clinton supporter?

Chaffetz and Gowdy really have rattled a few cages in the past year, very sensitive partisan cages at that.

I'm not a Clinton supporter, but I'm guessing the what was it... seven? investigations and probes that cost millions to the taxpayers and took years away from time that could have been spent more productively when it became clearer after each and every one that nothing was going to come out of them in terms of action able to be taken?

It's probably chilling in a Trump resort somewhere, fattening Trump's wallet.

In seriousness though, while I might completely disagree with your politics, credit to you for holding him to account on what he ran on.

Billy86 wrote: »
    It's probably chilling in a Trump resort somewhere, fattening Trump's wallet.

Nah, unlike his predecessor, he didn't need the cash. He needed the power.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I mean, he keeps staying in Mar-A-Lago, which the State Dept has to spend money on, which goes directly back to Trump.

How many holidays is he on now?

Unfortunately the insane amounts of money his resorts are taking from the taxpayer on a weekly basis as he (and his whole security team etc) stay and them, as well as further security paying rent at Trump Tower with his wife and kids if I recall, would say otherwise. Must be helping him pay off his debts, bad enough that US banks wouldn't touch him for a good few years now.

• Advertisement

He's not taking a salary, but I agree he is acting the maggot with those trips. As for his debts, he'd just wipe out his creditors anyway. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Hardly, if those debtors are Russian.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,972 ✭✭✭✭listermint

He's not taking a salary, but I agree he is acting the maggot with those trips. As for his debts, he'd just wipe out his creditors anyway. :pac:

Not taking a salary! not taking a salary!

His Salary is pennies compared to what he is charging the government to use his resorts and rent floors and rooms protecting his family.

Not taking a salary, whatever about your politics at least be transparent about the man being wealthy.

He is using this whole thing to pay down his massive debts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Billy86 wrote: »
    Unfortunately the insane amounts of money his resorts are taking from the taxpayer on a weekly basis as he (and his whole security team etc) stay and them, as well as further security paying rent at Trump Tower with his wife and kids if I recall, would say otherwise. Must be helping him pay off his debts, bad enough that US banks wouldn't touch him for a good few years now.

Did he not promise that he would pay that money back or am I mixing that up with something else. I know he made a big deal about his salary give that back.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

The no salary bit was quite a cunning ploy to be fair (and I actually mean that in a complimentary way, such is the nature of politics) as POTUS pays very little in the scheme of things - Bertie/Cowen/Enda all got paid more than the Bush/Obama, and even Tubridy did/does too! POTUS salary is $400,000/yr - less than most players in even the second tier of English football (it comes to £6k/wk sterling) - a lot of the real money is made after the presidency ends, even just through speaking functions at $250k for a talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,706 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Just in on RTE radio news. The wall is off, temporarily at least, can't be afforded the way the federal budget is now. Possibly something to do with a close-down of the Govt due to lack of cash for public service salaries, same as some years ago. Don says it will be built but not when.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭BabyCheeses

aloyisious wrote: »
    Just in on RTE radio news. The wall is off, temporarily at least, can't be afforded the way the federal budget is now. Possibly something to do with a close-down of the Govt due to lack of cash for public service salaries, same as some years ago. Don says it will be built but not when.

Wasn't the wall supposed to have been started by now? No brakes on the Trump train, unfortunately a vehicle without breaks tends to involve a trail of destruction before coming to an abrupt stop destroying itself.

The cheque from Mexico must be taking a few days longer to clear than thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

A federal judge just blocked trumps executive order that sought to punish so called sanctuary cities.
    The president does not have the authority to punish communities.

Funniest part of this clown car or absurdity of this start to the presidency is that day 100 could well be marked by a government shutdown over the budget, with some currently blaming Trump getting in the way of the two sides negotiating a deal. Doubt it will happen, but if it does it couldn't better suited! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Last week trump promised that he would reveal his tax plan tomorrow.

At this point i doubt anybody is holding their breath.
    Save

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement