Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

President 'The Donald' Trump and Surprising Consequences - Mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Exeggcute wrote: »
    The New York Times just published a story saying that CNN and Buzzfeed have published what amounts to "fake news".

No I am not. Nor am I a Clinton supporter or have any love for either party in the U.S.

Twitter rants? There are far more serious things to be concerned about concerning this election. Twitter rants and faux outrage would be bottom of my priority list.
    But you're seemingly unable to provide a link to that story?

Again, you're spoofing it would seem...
    The two-page summary, first reported by CNN, was presented as an appendix to the intelligence agencies’ report on Russian hacking efforts during the election, the officials said. The material was not corroborated, and The New York Times has not been able to confirm the claims. But intelligence agencies considered it so potentially explosive that they decided Mr. Obama, Mr. Trump and congressional leaders needed to be told about it and informed that the agencies were actively investigating it.

Nowhere in their front page story do they assert in any way that the story is false, that CNN is incorrect or in fact anything that you have claimed - NYT didn't publish the phrase "fake news" other than a screenshot of Drumpf's tweet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Exeggcute

I guess your interpretation of what constitutes "fake news" is different to mine.

The NYT didn't touch this story for good reason. Just think about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

MadYaker wrote: »
    "A house divided cannot stand." -Abe Lincoln

"The only thing to fear is fear itself." -FDR

"Pee on my face" -Donald Trump

These are acceptable standards now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Amerika wrote: »
    We certainly wouldn't want anyone to act hypocritically about what is and is not acceptable when discussing the Democrat and Republican parties!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,002 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Do what's necessary to cause him to resign. McCain's pretty old and he's used to bring a senior republican, chairing various important committees. He probably doesn't want to become a bog standard senator so he'd almost certainly resign.

That's one possible scenario. Do you think trump will be likely to allow him to stay around in high positions?
    that is not his decision to make. Not by an direct means.

Amerika wrote: »

Hey you voted him in

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Exeggcute wrote: »
    I guess your interpretation of what constitutes "fake news" is different to mine.

The NYT didn't touch this story for good reason. Just think about that.
    I literally just posted a link to it in the post you quoted.

I literally just posted a link to it in the post you quoted.

Yeah but that's just, like, your opinion man.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Billy86 wrote: »
    Yeah but that's just, like, your opinion man.

Yeah, agree to disagree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,237 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Overheal wrote:
    that is not his decision to make. Not by an direct means.

I know. If the only influence the president had was direct control, then it wouldn't be such an important job.

McCain's career is finished over this.

Reminds me of the Ricky Gervais joke about the 95 year old woman who was mugged, 'her life ruined'. And someone responded 'well if she lived to 100 it would only be 5% of her life ruined'.

McCain's career couldn't go on for ever but I think this will be the end of it.

For example, right now he serves as Chairman of the Senate Committee on Armed Services; Member and former Chairman of the Senate Committee on Indian Affairs; and Member of the Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs.

Anyone want to bet he'll still be chair or the armed services committee and a member of those other 2 committees in a year's time?

Anyone want to bet he'll still be chair or the armed services committee and a member of those other 2 committees in a year's time?

Yes. There is no mechanism for Trump to remove him.

Anyone want to bet they've taken Trump's twitter account off him by then?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭eire4

Overheal wrote: »
    Hey you voted him in

In fairness only 18% of the eligible American electorate actually voted for Trump. Now aside from the fact that he had about 2.8m less votes then Clinton of those who voted still nobody is talking in the MSM about the fact that about 47% that is pretty close to half of Americans did not vote and how much of an indication of how broken and bankrupt the American political system is in the eyes of so many.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,237 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Yes. There is no mechanism for Trump to remove him.
    That's very naive to think he couldn't get something like that done. The other day when John Kasich's ally was beaten, I watched a bit if fox news to get the reaction. The narrative was that disloyalty should be punished and Tripp was right to help get the Kasich ally out.

Trump didn't directly appoint the successor.
    Anyone want to bet they've taken Trump's twitter account off him by then?

No way. It's his direct line to the common man. He would be a fool to stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Cartouche

Trump: "I am a very successful businessman, you have no idea"
    Will you release your tax returns?
    "No"

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

What about your conflicts of interest?
    I have some of the greatest conflicts of interest, greatest, you've never seen conflicts so great.

eire4 wrote: »
    In fairness only 18% of the eligible American electorate actually voted for Trump. Now aside from the fact that he had about 2.8m less votes then Clinton of those who voted still nobody is talking in the MSM about the fact that about 47% that is pretty close to half of Americans did not vote and how much of an indication of how broken and bankrupt the American political system is in the eyes of so many.

If they didn't vote, they don't get to complain - simple as that really. They could have voted Jill Stein, Gary Johnson, even a write in candidate or whatnot. But in democracy, if you choose note to vote you don't deserve to have your opinion heard.

If they didn't vote, they don't get to complain - simple as that really. They could have voted Jill Stein, Gary Johnson, even a write in candidate or whatnot. But in democracy, if you choose note to vote you don't deserve to have your opinion heard.

Your missing the point I am making. I never said anything about them complaining. I am talking about how broken, corrupted and bankrupt the American political system is and using the fact that almost half of Americans did not vote in the recent election as an example to back that contention up. It is arguably an oligarchy now which works in the best interests of a few and certainly does not work in the best interests of the vast majority of Americans. As such a very large number of Americans have given up on the system and this has helped create the conditions for the further deterioration of the US governmental system. The fact is that the US is the most powerful country on the planet so to see it becoming more and more unstable and its political system in such a bad state is very disturbing and can have serious consequences for all of us on the planet.

Also the US is not really a democracy in the sense of the will of the people decide. The electoral college is an example of that. Not just in that it can elect a president as it has just done who lost the popular vote but arguably in an even more anti-democratic way it makes some Americans vote count less and others count more. Because all states are assured at least 3 electoral votes it means small population states voters votes count more then those from bigger population states. Plus then there is also the case of the senate where all states get an equal 2 senators regardless of the states population.

That's very naive to think he couldn't get something like that done.

What's naive is thinking that a headless chicken like Trump is going to take control of the Republican party over the lifelong professional politicians who have worked in Washington their whole careers.

Trump did not even know he had to hire a new staff for the White House when taking over, he is utterly clueless about the job.

I think he is really, really going to hate it.

Your missing the point I am making. I never said anything about them complaining. I am talking about how broken, corrupted and bankrupt the American political system is and using the fact that almost half of Americans did not vote in the recent election as an example to back that contention up. It is arguably an oligarchy now which works in the best interests of a few and certainly does not work in the best interests of the vast majority of Americans. As such a very large number of Americans have given up on the system and this has helped create the conditions for the further deterioration of the US governmental system. The fact is that the US is the most powerful country on the planet so to see it becoming more and more unstable and its political system in such a bad state is very disturbing and can have serious consequences for all of us on the planet.

Oh no I get what you're saying, my point is just that deciding not to vote is possibly the worst way for someone to respond to this as it makes it far easier for shady carry on to continue and only get worse, as well as for demagogues to gain power via populist rabble rousing. It's not like if someone went to the voting booth in November, they literally only had Trump or Clinton to vote for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

So Trump has accepted that the Russians hacked the DNC to influence the election in his press conference just now. Then he handed off to some lawyer who talked for ages to prevent the press from asking him any questions.

Oh no I get what you're saying, my point is just that deciding not to vote is possibly the worst way for someone to respond to this as it makes it far easier for shady carry on to continue and only get worse, as well as for demagogues to gain power via populist rabble rousing. It's not like if someone went to the voting booth in November, they literally only had Trump or Clinton to vote for.

Fair enough. You are correct in what you say about people technically having choices as well. Although to be fair given the MSM is very much part of the problem and the corruption of the governmental system in the US it is very difficult for people to get good information on alternatives. Plus there is also the outright corruption of the 2 party cartel on power in DC of the Republicans and Democrats who all over the states make local laws and regulations designed to stop any smaller parties from emerging to become a genuine national threat to them.

The so called corrupt election commission on presidential debates being the perfect example of this . It is in fact a private company owned and run by the Republicans and Democrats and is designed to stop any smaller parties from emerging to challenge them nationally by denying them access to a national debate stage via arbitrary and onerous rules such as the 15% support level in a vague number of polls rules. Plus the fact that this organization portrays itself and so does a complicit MSM media as an independent body when in fact it is the direct opposite is a further example of how difficult it is for any smaller parties to overcome this corruption.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I think he's already said he will retire at the end of his current term.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Saw this on reddit.

"The incoming President of the United States, in his first major press conference, had to step aside to allow his attorney to speak for him.

Think about that. And how ****ed we are."

Sometimes I'm reminded of why I'm lucky I'm Irish. This is one of those times.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

MadYaker wrote: »
    So Trump has accepted that the Russians hacked the DNC to influence the election in his press conference just now. Then he handed off to some lawyer who talked for ages to prevent the press from asking him any questions.

Don't worry, he'll outline all programmes for government on Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,938 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

robinph wrote: »
    What about your conflicts of interest?
    I have some of the greatest conflicts of interest, greatest, you've never seen conflicts so great.

They are tremendous even.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I thought he was supposed to have the best words? That press conference was a joke.

I know. If the only influence the president had was direct control, then it wouldn't be such an important job.

Reminds me of the Ricky Gervais joke about the 95 year old woman who was mugged, 'her life ruined'. And someone responded 'well if she lived to 100 it would only be 5% of her life ruined'.

McCain's career couldn't go on for ever but I think this will be the end of it.

For example, right now he serves as Chairman of the Senate Committee on Armed Services; Member and former Chairman of the Senate Committee on Indian Affairs; and Member of the Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs.

Have to disagree. Especially given that McCain just secured another 6 years in his seat. I can't envision how this possibly guts his career or his committee positions, frankly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

This goes from the sublime to the ridiculous, what a nonsense of a press conference, if this is the sign of things to come......

• Advertisement

Which has nothing to do with the fact that Amerika did, by his own admission, vote for Trump. ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement