Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

President 'The Donald' Trump and Surprising Consequences - Mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,002 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

InTheTrees wrote: »
    I think he's already said he will retire at the end of his current term.

Which would be more a matter of being 86 years old than outed from office for offending the President-elect's fragile ego.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Apparently a Breitbart reporter asked what to do about "Fake news". The irony of that.

The whole 'fake news' thing is just a tool used by the Alt-Right to dismiss legitimate stories which go against their narratives. I think this sums it up perfectly ""Fake news” as a term to dismiss reporting now much more harmful to democracy than “fake news” by Macedonian teens on FB ever was.".

CNN's statement which they released is also worth a read. They, rightfully, distinguished themselves from the contents of the report which Buzzfeed released and which Trump's team has only commented on and dismissed as 'fake news'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭eire4

Saw this on reddit.

"The incoming President of the United States, in his first major press conference, had to step aside to allow his attorney to speak for him.

Think about that. And how ****ed we are."

Sometimes I'm reminded of why I'm lucky I'm Irish. This is one of those times.

True indeed. But sadly an unstable America has consequences for all us given how powerful a country they are. IMHO for example the terrorism that has hit Europe in recent years and the refugee crisis can in large part be laid at the door of the US invasion of Iraqi which lead to the destabilization of the middle east region, the Bush regime's hubris in that whole situation and Obama's drone strikers killing so many innocents has hardly helped just creating more ill will.

Overheal wrote: »
    Which has nothing to do with the fact that Amerika did, by his own admission, vote for Trump. ?

Agreed. He did as you point out admit that he voted for Trump. I wanted to point out how few Americans voted for Trump simple as that. When you see just how few did vote for Trump and how much power his party has now it is very striking to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,002 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Press Conference Highlights

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/11/us/politics/trump-news-conference-highlights.html?_r=0

It's very, very sad.
    ■ About that wall: “I don’t feel like waiting a year, a year and a half, I want to start building,” he said. He reiterated that Mexico would reimburse the cost, but he added cryptically that it probably wouldn’t be in the form of “a payment.”

■ Ms. Dillon laid out what amounts to the Trump administration’s interpretation of the Constitution’s Emoluments Clause, which prohibits government officials from taking payments or gifts from a foreign government. “No one would have thought when the Constitution was written, that paying your hotel bill was an emolument,” she said. To avoid any appearances of violations, Ms. Dillon said Mr. Trump had pledged to donate to the United States government all profits made by his hotels from payments by foreign governments.

■ Ms. Dillon argued that selling Mr. Trump’s business would prove more difficult and create more ethical quandaries than the plan that the Trump Organization had chosen. A totally blind trust, she said, would likewise be impossible under the circumstances. And, she added, “President-elect Trump should not be expected to destroy the company he built.”

■ Asked about his [2015 and earlier] tax returns [in Jan 2017], Mr. Trump said he was still not releasing them “because they are under audit.” He said that the American people did not care about the documents anyway. “The only ones who cares about my tax returns are the reporters,” Mr. Trump said.

■ Mr. Trump swatted away allegations included in the uncorroborated opposition research reports about the intelligence the Russians supposedly have on him. He said he instructs aides any time he goes abroad to ensure that there are no cameras spying on him. He also added, apparently referring to a detail in the report about supposed sex videos with prostitutes, “I’m also very much of a germophobe, believe me.”

■ Mr. Trump said he was looking forward to his inauguration. “It’s going to be a beautiful event,” he said. “We have great talent, tremendous talent.” And, he added, “massive crowds” as well.

A complete imbecile who at best will rake in a couple billion dollars in backroom deals, sell out parts of the country, bankrupt us more, and **** on everything. At worst, we will all be dead anyway.

• Advertisement

Press Conference Highlights

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/11/us/politics/trump-news-conference-highlights.html?_r=0

It's very, very sad.

A complete imbecile who at best will rake in a couple billion dollars in backroom deals, sell out parts of the country, bankrupt us more, and **** on everything. At worst, we will all be dead anyway.

Have to agree with you there. Another scary possibility is if Trump gets impeached the guy who will replace him in VP Mike Pence is even worse it could be argued.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,938 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

MadYaker wrote: »
    I thought he was supposed to have the best words? That press conference was a joke.

That wasn't a SNL sketch ? I wondered why he didn't turn to the camera at the end and say "live from New York City, it's Saturday night live!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

Amazing. The documents journey from research to global attention.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jan/11/trump-russia-report-opposition-research-john-mccain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Kitsunegari

Apparently a Breitbart reporter asked what to do about "Fake news". The irony of that.

The whole 'fake news' thing is just a tool used by the Alt-Right to dismiss legitimate stories which go against their narratives. I think this sums it up perfectly ""Fake news” as a term to dismiss reporting now much more harmful to democracy than “fake news” by Macedonian teens on FB ever was.".

CNN's statement which they released is also worth a read. They, rightfully, distinguished themselves from the contents of the report which Buzzfeed released and which Trump's team has only commented on and dismissed as 'fake news'.

Fake news comes from both sides. Anyone suggesting otherwise are just being tribal. Both sides are as bad as each other. The political divide on both sides of the US is getting bigger. You're either on one team or the other and both sides love to take the moral high ground over each other but have proven incapable of being able to hold themselves to account.

Like Obama, Trump is more than likely going to be all talk and no action. The same people that will trash Trump before he starts are the same people who are championing 8 years of Obama.

What can you really do when the problem is that people will continue to support candidates blindly no mater what they say or do. Obama is a massive example of that. Trump will likely be another example.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    That wasn't a SNL sketch ? I wondered why he didn't turn to the camera at the end and say "live from New York City, it's Saturday night live!!!"

No Trump really does have the best words! Second 52 onwards

“It is the level of stupidity that is incredible. I’m telling you, I used to use the word incompetent,” Trump explained. “Now I just call them stupid. I went to an Ivy League school. I’m very highly educated. I know words, I have the best words. I have the best, but there is no better word than stupid. Right? There is none, there is none. There’s no, there’s no, there’s no word like that.”

• Advertisement

Fake news comes from both sides. Anyone suggesting otherwise are just being tribal. Both sides are as bad as each other. The political divide on both sides of the US is getting bigger. You're either on one team or the other and both sides love to take the moral high ground over each other but have proven incapable of being able to hold themselves to account.

Like Obama, Trump is more than likely going to be all talk and no action. The same people that will trash Trump before he starts are the same people who are championing 8 years of Obama.

What can you really do when the problem is that people will continue to support candidates blindly no mater what they say or do. Obama is a massive example of that. Trump will likely be another example.

It comes from both sides no doubt, although my argument is that it's not nearly as big a phenomenon as some (Trump supporters) like to believe. It's now become a cheap response to any argument published by reputable journalists who publish articles which don't favour Trump.

It's also more prevalent in Alt-Right news companies, most recently in Breitbart who published a 100% bs story about Muslims attacking 'Germany's oldest church on NYE in Dortmund'. Not only did nothing happen, Germany's oldest church isn't even in Dortmund and anyone who knows anything about Germany wouldn't even guess Dortmund as it's a feckin coal-mining city. Not only are the clowns at Breitbart bad at lying, they're complete idiots aswell.

I support Obama but don't blindly support him at all, and I have criticisms of him like anyone should. But show me what Trump has done to deserve any sort of legitimacy like Obama had before he took office. He had to have his bloody attorney with him in his first press conference since winning the election. How pathetic is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

He had to have his bloody attorney with him in his first press conference since winning the election. How pathetic is that?

The attorney was there to set out how he would separate himself from his business interests, which has obviously been one of the burning questions since the election.

Would you prefer if no detail or explanation was given as to how this would be achieved?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Ronaldinho wrote: »
    The attorney was there to set out how he would separate himself from his business interests, which has obviously been one of the burning questions since the election.

Would you prefer if no detail or explanation was given as to how this would be achieved?

I was in work during the press conference, what was the detailed explanation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

It comes from both sides no doubt, although my argument is that it's not nearly as big a phenomenon as some (Trump supporters) like to believe. It's now become a cheap response to any argument published by reputable journalists who publish articles which don't favour Trump.

It's also more prevalent in Alt-Right news companies, most recently in Breitbart who published a 100% bs story about Muslims attacking 'Germany's oldest church on NYE in Dortmund'. Not only did nothing happen, Germany's oldest church isn't even in Dortmund and anyone who knows anything about Germany wouldn't even guess Dortmund as it's a feckin coal-mining city. Not only are the clowns at Breitbart bad at lying, they're complete idiots aswell.

I support Obama but don't blindly support him at all, and I have criticisms of him like anyone should. But show me what Trump has done to deserve any sort of legitimacy like Obama had before he took office. He had to have his bloody attorney with him in his first press conference since winning the election. How pathetic is that?

Trump has the appeal of an Independent. Many of his views are mainstream American views like opposition to Globalisation and having fair trade deals with major powers. NAFTA was a Bush-Clinton agenda and Obama continued with this. The Asia-Pacific and Transatlantic trade deals are another and to finish it off increased military activity across the world.

Billy86 wrote: »
    I was in work during the press conference, what was the detailed explanation?

To be honest, I turned off during her schpeel as it was of no interest to me so I'm not going to try and give you what would be a half baked answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,237 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

MadYaker wrote:
    So Trump has accepted that the Russians hacked the DNC to influence the election in his press conference just now. Then he handed off to some lawyer who talked for ages to prevent the press from asking him any questions.

Trump supporters telling us he said it was Russia all along in 3...2...1...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,237 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Overheal wrote:
    Have to disagree. Especially given that McCain just secured another 6 years in his seat. I can't envision how this possibly guts his career or his committee positions, frankly.

We'll have to wait and see.

It's not equal at all. It's aimed at people who can't tell he difference between real news and fake news. It evolved and adapted to put out more of the strokes that got clicks.

By the end of the campaign fake news was over 70% aimed trump supporters -it contained negative made up stories about Hillary.

It might happen on both sides but both sides are not equal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Kitsunegari

But Obama was nothing but a charlatan and many people bought his message, including me, but he proved himself to be all talk no action. Trump is promising the people change and, whether we like it or not, he's the only candidate that can offer change.

I think there has been a huge backlash against the status quo and politicans in general who are completely out of touch with middle America. Obama had some success but his foreign policy was a complete disaster and he massively failed to live up to the hype. Obamacare was a feeble start and is highly flawed and will need to be heavily amended to function properly. One of Obama's greatest successes may have been to speak to Trump about keeping some of the Obamacare benefits such as insurance for pre existing conditions and allowing kids to stay on parents policy's until their 26.

While the democrats were talking about race, criticising the GOP for wanting to curb illegal immigrating and other 'pc' issues, Trump was talking about populist issues like illegal immigration, critising the main stream media and being a brash, comedic like character in general. I can see Trump's appeal. His biggest achievement has been to communicate effectively with voters.

Breitbart are absolutely toxic by the way.

But Obama was nothing but a charlatan and many people bought his message, including me, but he proved himself to be all talk no action. Trump is promising the people change and, whether we like it or not, he's the only candidate that can offer change.

I think there has been a huge backlash against the status quo and politicans in general who are completely out of touch with middle America. Obama had some success but his foreign policy was a complete disaster and he massively failed to live up to the hype. Obamacare was a feeble start and is highly flawed and will need to be heavily amended to function properly. One of Obama's greatest successes may have been to speak to Trump about keeping some of the Obamacare benefits such as insurance for pre existing conditions and allowing kids to stay on parents policy's until their 26.

While the democrats were talking about race, criticising the GOP for wanting to curb illegal immigrating and other 'pc' issues, Trump was talking about populist issues like illegal immigration, critising the main stream media and being a brash, comedic like character in general. I can see Trump's appeal. His biggest achievement has been to communicate effectively with voters.

Breitbart are absolutely toxic by the way.

Compared to Trump, Obama is a patron saint. He sold promises he couldn't keep, but name one politician not guilty of that.

Obama inherited an abysmal economy and got it running again; unemployment is 4.7% currently. There are countries who'd kill for that number. His foreign policy record wasn't fantastic, but he inherited 2 silly wars and a whole bunch of stuff which happened had nothing to do with him. He got America talking with Cuba for the first time in 50yrs and brokered a peace deal with one of America's fiercest enemies, Iran. 'Obamacare' didn't work as well as hoped because it's not his preferred program at all; it's based on Mitt Rommey's and was the only way he could compromise with the GOP on the issue.

Say what you want but Obama will go down as one of the greatest presidents. He did a seriously good job and I guarantee you if he could run again, he'd have smashed Hillary and Trump easily. He was one of the best compromisers I've ever seen and how he managed to get stuff done despite pricks like McConnell acting like roadblocks the whole way, is an achievement in itself.

The Democrats didn't lose the election because of Obama and anyone who says that hasn't a clue about US politics. The DNC lost the democrats the elction. They rigged their process, put in the most establishment of candidates and took hardline stances on stuff people didn't give a **** about, including myself. While they were ****ing on about gender equality and BLM, Trump was cleaning up support discussing the economy and jobs, and even though his policies stink, it was enough for him to win the rust belt states, where the election was one.

One thing you're spot on about though is his effectiveness as a communicator. Trump went to the Detroit economic forum and threatened the Ford execs that if they moved to Mexico he'd slap a tariff on their cars. How many politicians, red or blue, have ever done something like that? Trump was music to people's ears and while he was selling something shiny and new, the Democrats were selling a stale, washed up career politician who just couldn't connect with people and was selling a plain product or stuff which nobody cared about, while assuming people would vote for her because she was a woman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

Hey you voted him in

Yes I did vote for Trump, but my question to MadYaker, and everyone here, was if quoting Fake News reports is acceptable standards in politics on boards.ie now. Or is it only acceptable from those on the left? And gauging by the 'likes' you received, I guess the answer is 'yes.'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭SeamusFX

Trump is promising the people change.

The key word is "promising" and he may give the people change, but he has no intention of giving them the change the people want or need!! Trump's entire life he has been a greedy habitual liar and he's not going to change now, anyone who was STUPID enough to believe him and Vote for him will now get just what they deserve!!!! He will bring change, but it may only be a good change if you're a billionaire and even that won't last long if Trump has his way, as he will do some serious damage to America and the world.

The sad thing is, the majority of the STUPID people that voted for Trump, will be the ones most negatively impacted by his presidency!

Ronaldinho wrote: »

I'd prefer if they weren't there at all tbh. Was Obama's attorney at his first press conference post-election? Was Bush's? Clinton's? Reagan's?

He also still hasn't released his tax returns. Is that the sign of a man with nothing to hide?

Amerika wrote: »
    Yes I did vote for Trump, but my question to MadYaker, and everyone here, was if quoting Fake News reports is acceptable standards in politics on boards.ie now. Or is it only acceptable from those on the left? And gauging by the 'likes' you received, I guess the answer is 'yes.'

Who says it's fake news? The only one who says it's fake is Trump and his team, and that'd suit them well wouldn't it?

I'm not saying it's true either, but if Obama had to be briefed on it, then the CIA and FBI must see some legitimacy in it, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭SeamusFX

Amerika wrote: »

It's not if the News is fake or not, but the way this arsehole has reacted to it and has lied so many times that is the issue. Plus, both the CIA and FBI have already said Russia interfered in the election to the benefit of Trump and despite Trump's denial, it is a FACT that he does have interests in Russia Donnie A-Hole Jr traveled to Russia a week before the election and a few years ago he admitted that Russia made up a pretty disproportionate of their assets, so the only part of the story that is unconfirmed is the golden showers, but if people still voted for Trump after he said "grab them by the pus*y, then golden showers may not phase them. Face it loser, this story is a lot more believable than the one that the Clinton's were running a pedophile ring out of a pizzeria!

While all of this madness was going on with Trump, Rex Tillerson's confirmation hearing is on today and boy is it good.

Rubio strangely seemed to find some balls and beat up Tillerson badly:
    Asked whether he would call Putin a “war criminal,” Tillerson said “I would not use that term,” causing Rubio to bristle and reply, “It should not be hard to say Vladimir Putin’s army has committed war crimes in Aleppo.” Tillerson again hesitated, telling the senator, “I look forward to being fully informed,” before Rubio sharply interrupted: “None of this classified. These people are dead.”

Tillerson also made one of the strangest responses I've ever seen, to Tim Kaine.
    Tim Kaine: "Do you lack the knowledge to answer my question or are you refusing to do so?"
    Tillerson: "A little of both."

I'd prefer if they weren't there at all tbh. Was Obama's attorney at his first press conference post-election? Was Bush's? Clinton's? Reagan's?

He also still hasn't released his tax returns. Is that the sign of a man with nothing to hide?

I have no idea, but none of those had business on the scale of Trump's.

And yes - agreed. In the interests of transparency it would be better if he disclosed all of his tax returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Full Press Conf is here, all fluff, bit of a debacle, no clear policy at all:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

SeamusFX wrote: »
    It's not if the News is fake or not, but the way this arsehole has reacted to it and has lied so many times that is the issue. Plus, both the CIA and FBI have already said Russia interfered in the election to the benefit of Trump and despite Trump's denial, it is a FACT that he does have interests in Russia Donnie A-Hole Jr traveled to Russia a week before the election and a few years ago he admitted that Russia made up a pretty disproportionate of their assets, so the only part of the story that is unconfirmed is the golden showers, but if people still voted for Trump after he said "grab them by the pus*y, then golden showers may not phase them. Face it loser, this story is a lot more believable than the one that the Clinton's were running a pedophile ring out of a pizzeria!

Fake news is fake news, no matter how you try to colour it.

My side got the presidency, kept control of the Senate and the House. Plus Republicans now dominate state governments, with 32 legislatures and 33 governors. That kinda makes my side the ‘Winner.’

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Rubio strangely seemed to find some balls and beat up Tillerson badly:
    If you think Rubio "won" that exchange, you probably haven't gone beyond the fake news reports about Aleppo.
    Check out the thread about it. Educate yourself, if you dare.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

The Democrats should have their own internal audit on the hacking scandal as it dogged their campaign from beginning to end. Hillary was accused of series mishandling of state secrets and yet no-one on the Democrat side is proposing a root and branch investigation of the computers used in the Democratic party and whether or not any hacker infiltrated the network.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement