Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

President 'The Donald' Trump and Surprising Consequences - Mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,275 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Deleted post

The post you quoted didn't say that Sessions wrote the report, it said he recommended firing Comey. Quote directly from Sessions letter "Therefore, I must recommend that you remove Director James P Comey......"

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Trump fired Comey on a recommendation from Rosenstein for his handling of the Clinton email scandal. I don't think you really understand that point.

What evidence is this? The Russian investigations are nonsense as they won't bring charges against a single person. What is the point in an investigation if nobody is to be held accountable? Senior Democrats have said for months that this invesitgation won't reveal any tangible evidence or a conviction. You would have to question the political motivation behind this investigation in the first place.

No, he got rid of Comey because he received a recommendation from the assistant AG to do so.

Actually, it has everything to do with that. Rosenstein was only appointed two weeks ago due to the Democrats trying to stonewall any Trump's appointments. If you're complaining about how long it took to get to this point your agnst should be towards the Democrats.

Why did Comey usurp the AG's authority and announce that the case into Clinton's emails should be closed without prosecution? He's tried to play both sides and different times and has lost.

What facts have you presented to me? It's all your own spin and opinion.

Yes, it's strange, like a lot of Trump's presidency. That doesn't make it a power grab, as you described it.

Trump firing Comey is based on the recommendation of Rosenstein, who was appointed two weeks ago. You clearly don't have the full story otherwise you wouldn't be making baseless allegations and misrepresenting them as facts. Are you saying that Rosenstein is lying? or that he's being forced by the Trump administration to recommend that Comey is fired?

Again, that's your opinion. Trump's responsibility is to the American people not the FBI.

If that's the reason then why didn't Donald trump fire James comey on the evening of January 20th 2017 ? He'd have been within his rights as president but decided to keep him on.

The democrats are stonewalling his nominations ? Ah come off it. The fact that two secretary of the army and at least one treasury secretary nominees have withdrawn their names because of outside issues is the dems fault is it ? Yeah okay then.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,126 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Let's also pretend that Trump has finished nominating people to be confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,372 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Comey requested more staff and money for the Russia investigation last week. Just a coincidence.

Comey requested more staff and money for the Russia investigation last week. Just a coincidence.

Subpoenas being issued and Grand Juries being convened was also just a coincidence.

• Advertisement

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Subpoenas being issued and Grand Juries being convened was also just a coincidence.

Yes. Poor Donald. An amazing amount of coincidences, dastardly reporters and Dems all conspiring to paint him in a criminal light. He must be the unluckiest POTUS ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 vrt12

Podcast "what's behind the Russian hacking scandal"

https://open.spotify.com/episode/3W0oWlakC2Za6HrTFXy3Rl

• Registered Users Posts: 11,599 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

It really seems like they arent even try hard to cover the Russia stuff up anymore.

The excuse given for firing him is flat out, laughable. Give me a break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Gintonious wrote: »
    It really seems like they arent even try hard to cover the Russia stuff up anymore.

The excuse given for firing him is flat out, laughable. Give me a break.

It's very possible that Steve Bannon knows the GOP are completely unwilling and/or disinterested in impeaching Trump for anything. I mean anything... if the Washington Post broke a story implicating Trump in a 1978 murder, I honestly don't think we'd see a thing done. It'd be #FakeNews, Sad! and move on.

On that level, it (sort of) makes sense to just flaunt the corruption and Russia stuff. It's like "yeah we're thick as thieves but what you gonna do about it? Nothing!"

Any Republican voter is lying to themselves if they're going to argue Hillary wouldn't have been impeached already if she had done half of the stuff Donald has so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,126 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

And they might still hang on to significant house seat shares in the midterms because of gerrymandering.

I've decided to watch the White House press briefing. Is Sean spicer gone or what ? His deputy is filling in again.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I've decided to watch the White House press briefing. Is Sean spicer gone or what ? His deputy is filling in again.

Pity it's not Spicy. Would be gold.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,779 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Pity it's not Spicy. Would be gold.

Cut out the crapposting please.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

It seems like being the daughter of a former governor gets you high up the flow chart in the White House.

It appears that Sean spicer is on naval service duty. I knew he was involved in the reserve but I'd have assumed that being the White House press secretary would be a good reason to suspend it for the time being.

But if he wants to keep it up then fair play. That can't be easy balancing both things.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,599 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

And the latest Quinnipac poll has Trump at a near-record low approval rating.

58% Disapprove
    36% Approve

How low can the sink ship?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,970 ✭✭✭✭listermint

It appears that Sean spicer is on naval service duty. I knew he was involved in the reserve but I'd have assumed that being the White House press secretary would be a good reason to suspend it for the time being.

But if he wants to keep it up then fair play. That can't be easy balancing both things.

Fair play..

He goes to get away from the awfulness that is his job. I'd say it's a holiday for him tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

I'm legitimately worried for his mental health. I've no sympathy for him as he obviously is getting paid well but I can find empathy!

He was literally hiding in the bushes last night and only agreed to be interviewed in the dark, off-camera.

It must be so draining and soul destroying to go from a relatively normal person to a pathological liar, purely because you're being paid to lie. It's very different from the job of a normal Press Secretary which is to add a little window dressing to someone bending the truth a smidgen.

This is flat-out having to make convincing arguments that UP is Down and White is Black.

It'd drain any of us. If I was a member of his family and I cared about him I'd be asking him to quit.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,637 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

The other worring aspect of al this is that Trump and the GOP seem totally non perturbed by the clear evidence that Russia tried to influence the election.

Regardless of whether Trump colluded or not, they seem to have no concerns that Russia is actively trying to impact their democracy, democracy is the very essence of the US,

But there he is today laughing and joking with the Russian ambassador, whilst in contrast he looked like a bored schoolboy when he met with Merkel, an ally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

The photos from Trump meeting the Russians today are extraordinary. Wide beaming smilles, back slapping. He either doesn't care or has no cop-on whatsoever - I'm not sure even Foxnews can spin this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Leroy42 wrote:
    The other worring aspect of al this is that Trump and the GOP seem totally non perturbed by the clear evidence that Russia tried to influence the election.

They don't care. It doesn't matter because millions voted for him despite all the stuff that was coming out.

He can pretty much do whatever he wants. The longer the charade continues, the more immune he becomes.

Leroy42 wrote: »

Regardless of whether Trump colluded or not, they seem to have no concerns that Russia is actively trying to impact their democracy, democracy is the very essence of the US,

But there he is today laughing and joking with the Russian ambassador, whilst in contrast he looked like a bored schoolboy when he met with Merkel, an ally.

Apparently only Russian media were invited into the Oval Office today for the Trump-Lavrov meeting. US media barred. Unreal.

Leroy42 wrote: »

He didn't look like a bored schoolboy with merkel. He looked like child that the principal caught spying on the girls bathroom.

I found this funny. Sergey lavrov is playing senior hurling here. I'd say sergey lavrov would eat Rex tillerson without salt.

I found this funny. Sergey lavrov is playing senior hurling here. I'd say sergey lavrov would eat Rex tillerson without salt.
    Lavrov is in the White House, the centre of political power in the US. He is meeting his prize after the most successful intelligence operation ever. The US Media are locked out, and only TASS are allowed in. Trump is greeting them like old pals.

What a moment that must be - no wonder he is so cocky taking the mick out of the Americans.

hmmm wrote: »
    Lavrov is in the White House, the centre of political power in the US. He is meeting his prize after the most successful intelligence operation ever. The US Media are locked out, and only TASS are allowed in. Trump is greeting them like old pals.

What a moment that must be - no wonder he is so cocky taking the mick out of the Americans.

The KGB in their Soviet days could have only dreamed of pulling off this.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

The Democratic establishment's response to this latest Comey issue, for me, has laid bare how utterly f*cked that party is and now genuine progressive liberals need to either split or go full renegade and start challenging every sitting establishment dem to mid-term primaries.

During the election "Comey is a Trump/Russian puppet for not letting Clinton's email scandal slide and he should be fired by Obama for this"

Now: "Comey is some kind of hero, Trump is a disgrace for firing him"

Like... Which is it? It's absolutely pathetic. And I say that as somebody who despises Trump and the Republicans just as much as I despise the pseudoliberal DsINO.

Flip flopping like this shows opportunism and insincerity, nothing more. Whatever about Trump and Comey, the contrast in views depending on what they've done makes the Dems look really, really, really bad.

https://twitter.com/RusEmbUSA/status/862324158646165506

Ambassador Kislyak. That Kislyak. In the Oval Office shaking hands with a glowing Trump in a photograph taken by a Russian media team. It's beyond unbelievable, it is utterly mindblowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,640 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

The KGB in their Soviet days could have only dreamed of pulling off this.

Lavrov was definitely the alpha male there today. Trump of course is beholden to the Russians and they are revelling in it.

• Advertisement

He didn't look like a bored schoolboy with merkel. He looked like child that the principal caught spying on the girls bathroom.

Well, when you surround yourself with billionaires and far right cronies who have zero political experience, you can expect to be outfoxed at every turn.

Lavrov, a career diplomat for 47 years versus Tillerson, a politician for three months. Game over.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement