Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

President 'The Donald' Trump and Surprising Consequences - Mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Trump had a problem with Comey because 'he was his own man'.
    Wierd. Does the President not have a basic understanding of the oath the Dir of the FBI takes and who his allegience is to, the American people?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,275 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Water John wrote: »
    Trump had a problem with Comey because 'he was his own man'.
    Wierd. Does the President not have a basic understanding of the oath the Dir of the FBI takes and who his allegience is to, the American people?

No he doesn't understand it at all. Personal loyalty to him is something Trump values above all else. Just wait until we see the political hack / yes man he tries to put in there to replace Comey.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,696 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Don calling JC a "showboater" and a grandstander while W/House press rep says Comey was guilty of an atrocity in relation to his handling of the HRC emails.

This on CNN just now. Re the meetings and reported statements Don says Comey made to him if he was under investigation, Don on film with sound recording saying two of the times were when he was on phone to JC, the third at dinner when he directly asked Comey if he was under investigation. He actually asked the top cop in the US if he was under investigation by him and his agency while he is the boss of Comey's boss, both serving at Don's discretion. Talk about putting a person between a rock and a hard place, Don knew the question was way out of order. I'm not sure if it's his brass neck from private previous life coming through or if he's dense, but reckon it's the latter.

The good thing is that Don will never be able to claim any form of presidential privilege on the conversations he has with JC on the matter, the phonecalls or the dinner conversation, nor will JC under federal secrets law, as Don made them available to the public himself non-accidentally. It was to an NBC news interview crew in the W/house. Don also told the interviewer in the filmed clip that he had already made up his mind to fire JC.

just wow

Trump rage tweeting again. Bizarrely linking Russia to his Comey firing, with a bit of Democrat election blaming thrown in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭BabyCheeses

namloc1980 wrote: »
    just wow

Trump rage tweeting again. Bizarrely linking Russia to his Comey firing, with a bit of Democrat election blaming thrown in.

Why would Russia be laughing? I thought they are friends now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

just wow

I actually give up. The man clearly has no understanding of what the boundaries are as president of the United States.

I mean regardless of whether you're a trump fan or not, I think it should be alarming to see the most powerful man in the world act in a way that is beneath what we are told is becoming of the us president.

Well you could tell, Lavrov was bursting his sides, yesterday.

Well you could tell, Lavrov was bursting his sides, yesterday.

Ah sure lavrov was having the banter yesterday and I'd say he enjoyed his stay in Washington. Id day he went back to putin and said "mission accomplished"

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I actually give up. The man clearly has no understanding of what the boundaries are as president of the United States.

I mean regardless of whether you're a trump fan or not, I think it should be alarming to see the most powerful man in the world act in a way that is beneath what we are told is becoming of the us president.

He just doesn't see the funny, almost sick, humour show he's putting on for the public who voted him in. They, regardless of their supporting him, can't be able to avoid seeing the other side of Dons nature and what he's doing to the US's international credibility by now.

Cnn are saying the the trump administration feel like the Russians tricked them with the pictures taken by the russian foreign ministry.

Tricked ? What did they think those things that flashed and were pointed in the direction of trump ? Jesus Christ, the keystone cops got nothing on trump.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Cnn are saying the the trump administration feel like the Russians tricked them with the pictures taken by the russian foreign ministry.

Tricked ? What did they think those things that flashed and were pointed in the direction of trump ? Jesus Christ, the keystone cops got nothing on trump.

maybe, just maybe, if they hadn't kept the US media out and only let the Russian state news agency into the meeting, these things wouldn't happen :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

It's idiotic. Looking at the photos the Russians were all over the office, I'm pretty sure there has to be some form of bug planted as a consequence - they'd hardly pass up the opportunity.

I see that VP pence is sticking to the comey was fired after the recommendation of the DAG and AG.

Lads it shouldn't be that hard. It should have been the president, Vice President, and top members of the administration in the Oval Office and getting the story straight.

It just shows what a whole mess and chaotic the WH is ATM.

Spot on. And I doubt it's going to get any better.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Huckabee Sanders said today in the press conference that by removing Comey they would bring about the conclusion of the FBI's Trump Russia investigation. Without batting an eyelid she admitted firing Comey would help bring an end to the investigation. Mind blowing stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,637 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

So all of yesterday we had Tumps press saying that Rosenstein had stated Comey had to go. A man of years of experience, voted through overwhelmingly by tge Senate, how could we possibly doubt the bona fides.

Then Trump comes out and says it was nothing to do with Rosenstein, he already made his decision.

We also have his deputy press secretary saying that getting rid of Comey would help end the Russia investigations.

I trust all those that came on here defending Trump and attacking Democrats and Liberals will post their apologises and acceptance that they were, lets be charitable here, naive,

hmmm wrote: »

The lol-ing point is that the W/House did not allow any of the US media into the room to record the meeting, so the US media did not take the photos or have possession of any of the images yet the W/house is now allegedly upset at the release of the images. As there were only two parties at the meeting, it's either another Trump Admin trust error or it's Don being brass-necked and giving the bird to the US media.

Sometimes I have flashbacks to the time I thought that Don had figured out he couldn't blind the US with his brilliance so decided to blind it with his bull****, and that's why the W/House people (incl Don himself) are now coming out with some many different stories, no one outside (and maybe inside) knows whether they are coming or going. It's like the old shell-game, a con job.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Leroy42 wrote: »
    So all of yesterday we had Tumps press saying that Rosenstein had stated Comey had to go. A man of years of experience, voted through overwhelmingly by tge Senate, how could we possibly doubt the bona fides.

Then Trump comes out and says it was nothing to do with Rosenstein, he already made his decision.

We also have his deputy press secretary saying that getting rid of Comey would help end the Russia investigations.

I trust all those that came on here defending Trump and attacking Democrats and Liberals will post their apologises and acceptance that they were, lets be charitable here, naive,

Hahahahahaha! No. The smart ones left ages ago after the "but Hillary" talking points became less relevant. The daily stormer guy hasn't been around for a while either. The guy who runs around yelling "Fake news!" and posting memes pops in from time to time but is probably away waiting for the next Trump talking point.

I would be curious to hear the opinions of fellow conservatives and libertarian types, though. There are plenty of rational conservatives out there who can see through this Trump shít-show but I think that some might be seeing the world through a partisan lens where the only people who dislike Trump is a Democrat.

• Advertisement

There were suggestions that DT would go to meet the FBI staff again.
    Not now happening. I think he heard the reception might not be too welcoming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I wonder if the FBI is still "Trumpland" like it was known before the election, or if they kind of regret that whole essentially-taking-sides thing now?

But according to Huckabee Sanders she spoke to countless FBI employees who were very happy with Comey's removal. I mean, it's only natural for your average FBI agent to contact the White House Assistant Press Secretary by phone, email and text message hours after their boss was fired to express happiness at the decision!

On a bye-the-bye, where's Sean Spicer?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Huckabee Sanders said today in the press conference that by removing Comey they would bring about the conclusion of the FBI's Trump Russia investigation. Without batting an eyelid she admitted firing Comey would help bring an end to the investigation. Mind blowing stuff.

As odious as it is, it may probably be true. Good luck to the person who gets Comey's job. He or she will have to be a yes person and do as Trump says. I am sure Trump will have plenty of candidates for the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

What's extraordinary is using unnamed sources as a basis for an argument. You can believe everything you read in the press. I'll stick to traditional journalism where your sources can be checked. Anything else is just unproven speculation.
    "Traditional journalism" has a long history of using sources from unnamed sources. The Watergate investigatins leap to mind. The Pentagon Papers. Practically any whistleblower story ever.
    I never stated that either. Assumptions are the mother of all **** ups.
    You certainly did:
    Yes, if they [the sources] exist. I'm suggesting that they don't based on the WP history . . .
    This is unambiguous; you are saying that the WP has a history of printing stories attributed to sources which don't in fact exist.

I repeat: As one who is keen on sources and who believes a named source is essential before a story can have credibility, do you have a source for this claim?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    As odious as it is, it may probably be true. Good luck to the person who gets Comey's job. He or she will have to be a yes person and do as Trump says. I am sure Trump will have plenty of candidates for the post.

They'll have to be confirmed by the senate.

aloyisious wrote: »
    On a bye-the-bye, where's Sean Spicer?
    He's taken leave in order to complete his annual tour of duty obligation as a member of the US Naval Reserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Pretty amazing. The whole story has changed again. Its looking like its possible that he's committed obstruction of justice by admitting he fired Comey to help end the investigation.

• Advertisement

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Pretty amazing. The whole story has changed again. Its looking like its possible that he's committed obstruction of justice by admitting he fired Comey to help end the investigation.
    To my lasting regret, he hasn't admitted that. He's said that he had decided to fire Comey even before he got the advice from Rosenstein, but not that his reason for doing so was "to help end the investigation".

Instead, he explains his decision thus:

“He’s a showboat, he’s a grandstander, the FBI has been in turmoil. You know that, I know that. Everybody knows that. You take a look at the FBI a year ago, it was in virtual turmoil, less than a year ago. It hasn’t recovered from that.”

On one level, this is perfectly credible. Trump himself is the mother of all grandstanders and showboaters. Obviously, such a man cannot tolerate attention-seeking behaviour, or what he perceives to be attention-seeking behaviour, in those around him.

On the other hand, there's a typically Trumpish lack of specificity in the charge. What exactly was Comey doing that Trump considered to be "grandstanding"? If he's referring to anything specific here, it could actually be to precisely the same behaviour as the Rosenstein memorandum refers to - Comey's pressers about the end of the Clinton investigation, the resumption of the Clinton investigation, the second end of the Clinton investigation. Rosenstein objects that those were improper and unprofessional; Trump's problem is that, even though all those things were done before the election, during Obama's term, they have become the story, and they are now deflecting attention from him, Trump.

But Trump's complaint about "grandstanding" could relate to more than just that; it could relate to Comey's unusually high profile generally; to his failure to stop leaks from within the CIA; to his failure to back Trump's claims that he, Trump, had been wiretapped by the Obama administration; to the continued attention that the Russia investigation has been getting.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement