Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

President 'The Donald' Trump and Surprising Consequences - Mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    Wolf just dropped a tweet from Paul Ryan from last year

"If you are careless with secret information then you shouldn't have access to secret information"

Walk that one back......

This is the one
    https://twitter.com/SpeakerRyan/status/751106162574053376

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

listermint wrote: »
    Ridiculed.?

Where?

You were given a response I'd appreciate you give a reply to it rather than making up stories about how you were ridiculed

no point getting into tit for tat,im sure youll agree.....
    Referencing that I get my info from RT and that its "beyond you" that I had opinion like I do is maybe not ridicule but certainly a put down.
    I did reply...It got lost inside your quote.

Can the Russians use this classified info to their advantage?
    Im under the impression its ISIS info not US national security secrets or anything major.

gitzy16v wrote: »
    Can the Russians use this classified info to their advantage?
    Im under the impression its ISIS info not US national security secrets or anything major.

It wasn't their info to give up, and it gives Russia a window on foreign intelligence within Syria right down to the city to which they can run interference on as the US and Russia have differing aims for the country.

• Advertisement

ThisRegard wrote: »
    It wasn't their info to give up, and it gives Russia a window on foreign intelligence within Syria right down to the city to which they can run interference on as the US and Russia have differing aims for the country.

Cheers...
    Id be more concerned about just getting Syria back to what it was 20 yrs ago but thats for a different thread...
    I also think Russia's ideas for Syria are possibly less damaging than what the US has done previously in the ME and Libya.
    Thats why I think there should be closer co-operation between Trump and Putin on these issues rather than making out that the Russians are the big enemy but like I said before Im only a layman looking in on current affairs and giving my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

From Twitter
    Applause in the newsroom as the Russia-leak scoop breaks the Hollywood Access record for most readers per minute

So that Reuters, NYT and Buzzfeed that have confirmed the report.

His days have to be numbered.

Buzzfeed claiming it's actually worse than what the Washington Post reported, but I would never have thought them to be anything other than content reproducers anyway.

The White House are on the defensive, saying that elements to the story are false, but they're elements that aren't in the story in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭B_Wayne

no point getting into tit for tat,im sure youll agree.....
    Referencing that I get my info from RT and that its "beyond you" that I had opinion like I do is maybe not ridicule but certainly a put down.
    I did reply...It got lost inside your quote.

The Russians have been actively trying to interfere in elections throughout the globe via hacking. They're not an honest player, they have an abysmal human rights record. Their leader has a tendency to kill off his political opponents or even just journalists... They've even annexed a part of Ukraine...

Their government is not in any way trustworthy. So it's not a time to be working with Putin.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

A senior official from the WH has denied the reports are true.

But, to quote the man himself:
    As a very active President with lots of things happening, it is not possible for my surrogates to stand at podium with perfect accuracy!....

• Advertisement

B_Wayne wrote: »
    The Russians have been actively trying to interfere in elections throughout the globe via hacking. They're not an honest player, they have an abysmal human rights record. Their leader has a tendency to kill off his political opponents or even just journalists... They've even annexed a part of Ukraine...

Their government is not in any way trustworthy. So it's not a time to be working with Putin.

So make them an enemy instead?
    There is more pressing issues than Russia today.
    Plus Im sure if the Russians have the wherewithall to hack elections that the Americans are just as adept at cyber manipulation.
    There is a common enemy right now..ISIS...sort that,together,then go back to cold war bs politics

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Well we found out why there is a selected laptop ban on some US bound flights.

ISIS are able to make laptop bombs that are undetectable even with airport security.

Trump was boasting about how great US intelligence is and the thinking now is an attack may be brought forward.
    A most serious incident.

Talk now that all laptops may have to be banned from all planes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I just wonder when the GOP leadership in Congress will wake up and start acting like the checks and balances the constitution expects them to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

ThisRegard wrote: »

That's the thing with Trump, we've seen it on here, we've seen it in those immediately around him, we've seen it in the GOP members who have got behind him on the basis of having control of the white house, we've seen it with everyone really... if you hold Trump to pretty much concrete standard at all, you can be sure as guaranteed he will let you down on it, and likely before the end of the month.

EDIT: and that includes Trump himself (referring to post #7,624 and the one hundred odd other times so far he has failed to live up to his own standard)

There is more pressing issues than Russia today.

Within the USA I dont think there is. The russian interference is ongoing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

RobertKK wrote: »

I'd say ISIS will ruthlessly hunt down the informer in Raqqa or Deir ez-Zor, meaning a massacre. Thats the problem.

US airstike on Deir ez-Zor a few hours ago as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

State department was unaware that the Secretary of State Rex Tillerson released a statement.

US in turmoil.

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Within the USA I dont think there is. The russian interference is ongoing.

They are not really going to threaten the national security of The US though,are they?
    Thats all US citizens care about really,anything that happens or their soil.
    The rest is just big business,big politics and plenty of scams on a world stage,that IMO The US doesnt want Russia getting a slice of the pie,so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,999 ✭✭✭Christy42

They are not really going to threaten the national security of The US though,are they?
    Thats all US citizens care about really,anything that happens or their soil.
    The rest is just big business,big politics and plenty of scams on a world stage,that IMO The US doesnt want Russia getting a slice of the pie,so to speak.

Is giving top secret information away not a big deal now?

I mean I feel like it should be a big deal even if it was to the UK. They need to decide what is being shared where. They also need controls on different forms of information as it may put sources at risk (why would the Russians be overly careful with the details of American sources?). Finally it shows that Trump can't be trusted with information. How is the IC meant to work with allies now? Foreign agencies will have issues trusting them with their info as who knows where it might go to. Why give it to them. What if the next time it is something more serious?

This is the first complete impeachment level thing I have seen. Everything else has been gross incompetence or the Russian links which may lead to impeachment level, but are certainly no there yet.

This is above and beyond, the man can no longer be trusted to talk to foreign representatives without a handler.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Gintonious wrote: »

His days have to be numbered.

It does feel like that doesn't it?

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/864257223257722880

Pretty spot on tweet, its not just the constant leaks that is the issue for Trump, its the fact that let alone kill the story, his team throw gasoline on it.

anyway seems like mighty craic at the WH currently.:D

https://twitter.com/Carrasquillo/status/864262056849092608

• Advertisement

Christy42 wrote: »
    Is giving top secret information away not a big deal now?

I didn't say that.
    Jeez over the top reactions to anything that doesn't suit the narrative on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

State department was unaware that the Secretary of State Rex Tillerson released a statement.

US in turmoil.

I'm curious as to what you think of his presidency so far - mainly because you seem to be a relatively straight shooter in earlier parts of the thread.

Well attacking an election is a pretty serious attack on the country, as far as effecting national security its debatable.

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Well attacking an election is a pretty serious attack on the country, as far as effecting national security its debatable.

If they attacked the election is still up in the air in fairness but Yeh I agree it would be serious....I've yet to see proof anywhere of Russian interference in the US elections only hearsay and conjecture.
    It wouldn't surprise me if they did though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Well we found out why there is a selected laptop ban on some US bound flights.

ISIS are able to make laptop bombs that are undetectable even with airport security.

Trump was boasting about how great US intelligence is and the thinking now is an attack may be brought forward.
    A most serious incident.

Next they will be banning all passengers on planes. It's ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

As former Russian ambasaador Michael McFaul said, reports of Trump's of loose-lipped encounter with the Russians have come from inside his administration - that's a an indication just how concerned insiders are about this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭B_Wayne

If they attacked the election is still up in the air in fairness but Yeh I agree it would be serious....I've yet to see proof anywhere of Russian interference in the US elections only hearsay and conjecture.
    It wouldn't surprise me if they did though.
    The fbi confirmed interference, next on the list is finding out if collusion occurred which looks increasingly likely.

We also have evidence of interference in other elections including Frances. I would classify trying to nefariously assist in the election of a fascist such as LaPen as a threat to international security. In fact, interfering in any democratic elections as they have is pretty dangerous and they know that.

The great thing about the French interference was that France were anticipating it and put just as much fake stuff out there with the hack so as to basically nullify it.

I can't see Israel being too cooperative with the US from this point on, they even had cold feed beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,999 ✭✭✭Christy42

I didn't say that.
    Jeez over the top reactions to anything that doesn't suit the narrative on this thread.

Again though it does affect us citizens. It is info on Isis. It affects the ability of the security services to do their job. It affects how the US does business as now relations between them and others have become more strained.

He broke the trust of a US ally who will now be less willing to share information, which I am sure extends to others as well as they have no idea who will end up with the information if Trump spills the beans again. This hurts the safety of Americans as their IC is no longer as effective.

Finally the information was directly linked to a security threat with regards laptops on planes. This is obviously something that affects Americans.

You are simply attempting to downplay the seriousness of the situation without actually having to give an argument.

Finally there is no narrative on this thread but when was the last time anyone could give a competent defense of his presidency?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Christy42 wrote: »

.... when was the last time anyone could give a competent defense of his presidency?

Its got to the stage where you cannot do so without coming across as an idiot. Any scintilla of "plausible deniability' has long gone.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement