Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

President 'The Donald' Trump and Surprising Consequences - Mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Trump's biggest problem now is that he's turned into a complete parody figure. He's going to have to turn things around pretty quickly in order to stop the GOP from turning on him and if they don't turn on him quickly then the Republicans in the swing states will be in big trouble if this sideshow continues. Something will have to give soon. The pressure is mounting on Trump daily.

Trump is not a good enough political operator to get himself out of this. He can't turn things around. If he was, he wouldn't have inflicted all this completely needless damage upon himself, repeatedly day after day. Macmillan is reputed to have said that what politicians feared most were 'Events dear boy, events'. External, surprising occurrences they could not control or plan for but could only react to. By comparison, Trump cant even control himself.

Trump is not a parody. Trump is just being Trump, but Trump was never fit to be US President.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

it increasing looks like an train wreck , no matter what way you look at it

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Jamiekelly wrote: »
    The only time Trump will ever be willingly silent is when he's sitting in a courtroom watching his multi-million dollar lawyers pleading the 5th on his behalf.
    And, even then, he'll tweet about it in a self-incriminatory fashion at 2 a.m. the next morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Sand wrote: »
    Trump is not a good enough political operator to get himself out of this. He can't turn things around. If he was, he wouldn't have inflicted all this completely needless damage upon himself, repeatedly day after day. Macmillan is reputed to have said that what politicians feared most were 'Events dear boy, events'. External, surprising occurrences they could not control or plan for but could only react to. By comparison, Trump cant even control himself.

Trump is not a parody. Trump is just being Trump, but Trump was never fit to be US President.

But, he is president. It will take some effort to get him out, like a stubborn stain. The more you rub it, the more damage is done. Wrong and right are the same to him. He just chooses which suits at the time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    But, he is president. It will take some effort to get him out, like a stubborn stain. The more you rub it, the more damage is done. Wrong and right are the same to him. He just chooses which suits at the time.

In the film about his life he should be played by Eric Cartman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,685 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

On the 30,000 emails and wikileaks front, the Swedish prosecutor has dropped its rape investigation against Julian Assange. It remains to be seen if he stays put in asylum at the Ecuadorian embassy in London or leaves, or his hosts walk him to the door as the reason for asylum have gone. I suppose the US still want him. I've put the FT link as the NYT is seen as a source of "fake News". On an aside, Don amused me yesterday when he said even HIS ENEMIES say the Russian collusion story is fake.....

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiNopiZ2vvTAhUGOsAKHbitBugQ6F4IOzAD&url=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2Fnytimes%3Fref_src%3Dtwsrc%255Egoogle%257Ctwcamp%255Eserp%257Ctwgr%255Eauthor&usg=AFQjCNHMKjZPdXf_1UdHlw-hYX1w6sl9jA

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiNopiZ2vvTAhUGOsAKHbitBugQ6F4IQTAF&url=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2FFT%3Fref_src%3Dtwsrc%255Egoogle%257Ctwcamp%255Eserp%257Ctwgr%255Eauthor&usg=AFQjCNEbNpNe0d3AtQg8furAIcPy6BU8xA

There is a twitter account which seems to belong to JulianAssange but I don't know for certain and I'm not on twitter.... https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiNopiZ2vvTAhUGOsAKHbitBugQgFQINw&url=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dbreaking%2Bnews%2Bjulian%2Bassange%26ref_src%3Dtwsrc%255Egoogle%257Ctwcamp%255Eserp%257Ctwgr%255Esearch&usg=AFQjCNHT3kuld-t6BKQe1AbqxKnb5GFjOg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

Trump does not have the smarts for political operation but he does for things like money laundering, corruption, side dealing etc. What we are seeing here is what Trump is really like. He gets away with this in late 20th/21st century capitalism. As president he gets impeached. To be fair this has gone so far now that no politician could extract themselves bar killing the investigations via dictatorial control. True to say that a shrewd political operator would not have got himself in here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

aloyisious wrote: »
    On the 30,000 emails and wikileaks front, the Swedish prosecutor has dropped its rape investigation against Julian Assange. It remains to be seen if he stays put in asylum at the Ecuadorian embassy in London or leaves, or his hosts walk him to the door as the reason for asylum have gone. I suppose the US still want him. I've put the FT link as the NYT is seen as a source of "fake News". On an aside, Don amused me yesterday when he said even HIS ENEMIES say the Russian collusion story is fake.....

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiNopiZ2vvTAhUGOsAKHbitBugQ6F4IOzAD&url=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2Fnytimes%3Fref_src%3Dtwsrc%255Egoogle%257Ctwcamp%255Eserp%257Ctwgr%255Eauthor&usg=AFQjCNHMKjZPdXf_1UdHlw-hYX1w6sl9jA

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiNopiZ2vvTAhUGOsAKHbitBugQ6F4IQTAF&url=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2FFT%3Fref_src%3Dtwsrc%255Egoogle%257Ctwcamp%255Eserp%257Ctwgr%255Eauthor&usg=AFQjCNEbNpNe0d3AtQg8furAIcPy6BU8xA

There is a twitter account which seems to belong to JulianAssange but I don't know for certain and I'm not on twitter.... https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiNopiZ2vvTAhUGOsAKHbitBugQgFQINw&url=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dbreaking%2Bnews%2Bjulian%2Bassange%26ref_src%3Dtwsrc%255Egoogle%257Ctwcamp%255Eserp%257Ctwgr%255Esearch&usg=AFQjCNHT3kuld-t6BKQe1AbqxKnb5GFjOg

The reason he was claiming asylum was always down to believing that Sweden would extradite him to the US. I think he was happy enough to fight the charges that Sweden had against him, but that once they had him they would be obliged to ship him off to the US due to other treaties.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,685 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

robinph wrote: »
    The reason he was claiming asylum was always down to believing that Sweden would extradite him to the US. I think he was happy enough to fight the charges that Sweden had against him, but that once they had him they would be obliged to ship him off to the US due to other treaties.

It seems he's liable for arrest by UK police for breaking bail arrangements made at his last court appearance before claiming asylum. It'd be up to the courts there what they do to him, but AG Sessions is still interested in extraditing him and an arrest would give the US more time to activate and alter any legal plans it had for him {assuming they were on hold and meant solely for extradition from Sweden].

On another matter, RTE's just discussed Sean Spicer with the US correspondent of a UK paper and it seems that after the upcoming presidential visit by Don abroad, Sean is hanging up his W/House boots even though [allegedly] Don promised him his job is safe. Reportedly a major distraction he doesn't like in the job is the Saturday Night Live show take-off of him by Melissa McCarthy. It's apparently annoying him badly. I do kind'a feel sorry for him, as i don't think he knew Don's way of dealing with problems before he took the job. like he didn't check out Don's history and CV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

aloyisious wrote: »
    On another matter, RTE's just discussed Sean Spicer with the US correspondent of a UK paper and it seems that after the upcoming presidential visit by Don abroad, Sean is hanging up his W/House boots even though [allegedly] Don promised him his job is safe. Reportedly a major distraction he doesn't like in the job is the Saturday Night Live show take-off of him by Melissa McCarthy. It's apparently annoying him badly. I do kind'a feel sorry for him, as i don't think he knew Don's way of dealing with problems before he took the job. like he didn't check out Don's history and CV.

Kimberly Guilfoyle is already claiming she's been in discussion with the WH about replacing him.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/kimberly-guilfoyle-sean-spicer-replace-white-house-press-secretary-fox-news-host-donald-trump-a7741391.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭leck

Yesterday, Benjamin Wittes, a friend of Comey's published an essay on his conversations with Comey on Lawfare. Most notable is what he has to say about the famous hug.
    And for a long time, he reported, Trump didn’t seem to notice him. The meeting was nearly over, he said, and he really thought he was going to get away without an individual interaction. But when you’re six foot, eight inches tall, it’s hard to blend in forever, and Trump ultimately singled him out—and did so with the most damning faint praise possible: “Oh, and there's Jim. He’s become more famous than me!”

Comey took the long walk across the room determined, he told me, that there was not going to be a hug. Bad enough that he was there; bad enough that there would be a handshake; he emphatically did not want any show of warmth.

Again, look at the video, and you’ll see Comey preemptively reaching out to shake hands. Trump grabs his hand and attempts an embrace. The embrace, however, is entirely one sided.

Comey was disgusted. He regarded the episode as a physical attempt to show closeness and warmth in a fashion calculated to compromise him before Democrats who already mistrusted him.

https://www.lawfareblog.com/what-james-comey-told-me-about-donald-trump

Wittes talking about the hug. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNugJpCKucw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Kitsunegari

Is this post a parody? I'm not sure why you've selectively quoted part of my post either. :confused:

Also, of course he's not a 'good enough political operator'. He's not a politician, yet you state it as some sort of revelation.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,636 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Also, of course he's not a 'good enough political operator'. He's not a politician, yet you state it as some sort of revelation.

He was elected, ergo he is a politician. At what point do you think people become 'politicians'? That he isn't remotely qualified, or it would seem able for the job, is something he and the voters should have considered before taking the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,076 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

That's wrong, there is evidence of pay to play with regards the Clinton foundation, the state department and actual transferring of monies. If you want me to list examples I will.

There's no evidence of the Trump campaign exchanging money to influence the election, which is what the allegation is, collusion. It's not a defense of how lewd and reckless Trump has been to want to see evidence of that before condemning him.

I've literally never heard someone imply this, that the Russians played Soldiers of Fortune and were hackers for hire because trump paid them enough?

But eh, hello, remember Rex Tillerson? And Exxon? And that $500Bn oil deal that Russia wanted? That Obama blocked? That Hillary would have enforced? Yeahhhhhhh.....

http://money.cnn.com/2017/04/21/news/companies/trump-exxon-russia-sanctions/

They'll keep trying, but there's still enough people that haven't turned coat in DC to hold off the deal for now. There is plenty of motivation for Russia to have wanted Trump in play. What you're waiting on, is explicit evidence that Russia coordinated with Trump or his team during the campaign to stack the deck in their favor. Either, Russia really has something on Trump and he was coerced, or they simply made a back-scratch deal: we help you win the election, you lift these sanctions. No career politician was going to give them that level of access.

Given the existing evidence for 18+ contacts with the Russians during the campaign, as well as a few times where "two taxiing airplanes slipped past each other in the middle of the night," that happened to be either Trump's plane or a Russian oligarch's, it is as of yet unclear how much was discussed. I would hypothesize they spoke about an entire range of international political issues. The real tell here is Trump, the guy you can't otherwise convince to stick to any sort of script, or not shoot himself in the foot, but who will notably refuse to say *anything* negative about Russia, that might upset the Kremlin in any way. So yeah, Americans are rightly worried that the POTUS has been played by the Russians and is functioning as their manchurian candidate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Kitsunegari

Leroy42 wrote: »
    He was elected, ergo he is a politician. At what point do you think people become 'politicians'? That he isn't remotely qualified, or it would seem able for the job, is something he and the voters should have considered before taking the job.

How would you deem someone to be qualified for the job? You're arguing over semantics and I suspect you know exactly what I mean but as usual the narrative has to be against the posters on here that don't believe everything you read in the media.

You're also assuming that all his voters believe that he will do a 'good' job. The narrative on this thread is far too simplistic. You also never answered my question on how you would attempt to hold the Trump voters to account. So do tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭B_Wayne

How would you deem someone to be qualified for the job? You're arguing over semantics and I suspect you know exactly what I mean but as usual the narrative has to be against the posters on here that don't believe everything you read in the media.

You're also assuming that all his voters believe that he will do a 'good' job. The narrative on this thread is far too simplistic. You also never answered my question on how you would attempt to hold the Trump voters to account. So do tell.

Having some political experience and being capable of diplomacy would make somebody far more qualified than Trump.... He didn't say "good job", he simply said "capable" of doing the job. I think being capable of doing the job should rank highly on people's lists for voting for POTUS tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭BabyCheeses

Is this post a parody? I'm not sure why you've selectively quoted part of my post either. :confused:

He is a politician now, he started at the deep end like a mechanic getting into neurosurgery but he is a politician. Just not a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

How would you deem someone to be qualified for the job?

At a bare minimum, an understanding that words have consequences and an ability to think before speaking/tweeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,447 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The neurosurgeon wouldn't have been a good choice, either.

Almost like being a few months into a marriage and realising that the OH is not mentally suitable for a committed relationship. Grounds for annulment. Except in this case, that clause can only be exercised by the VP and over half the cabinet.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,636 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I think others have adequately responded to the qualified question. You stated that he was not a politician, I was pointing out that that was exactly what he is. I was asking why would deem him not to be a politician.

You think people voted for him on the basis that he would be bad at the job? What kind of vote is that? I appreciate that there are a certain type of person that likes to be contrary, but I would imagine it is very small portion.

On your last question, I don't think I ever said that voters have to be held to account, rather that they are responsible. They are held to account in the outcome of his policies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Breaking:

Donald Trump told Russian Ambassador and Foreign Minister, quote:

"I just fired the head of the F.B.I. He was crazy, a real nut job,” Mr. Trump said, according to the document, which was read to The New York Times by an American official. “I faced great pressure because of Russia. That’s taken off.”

Sean Spicer, responded on record to NYT admitting the comments but saying the real issue is the leaks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

This just has got to end. How much more can America take?

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/865644494493851648

In all seriousness, it must end and it must end now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Overheal wrote: »
    But eh, hello, remember Rex Tillerson? And Exxon? And that $500Bn oil deal that Russia wanted? That Obama blocked? That Hillary would have enforced? Yeahhhhhhh.....

http://money.cnn.com/2017/04/21/news/companies/trump-exxon-russia-sanctions/

That isn't evidence of collusion. The charge or allegation is that Trump's campaign sought help or was an able participant in "hacking" the election, which at it's most basic point and most prominent, is the hacking of the emails and dissemination to Wikileaks. If there's proof they'll find it, but I really doubt there is at this stage, it would have been leaked. It's pushing a year now and by all accounts they have no evidence of such wrongdoing.

Also why is it a defense of Trump to want to see evidence of collusion before assuming guilt? As for throwing stones in glass houses...

This just has got to end. How much more can America take?

[url]htxtps://twitter.com/nytimes/status/865644494493851648[/url]

In all seriousness, it must end and it must end now.

Ridiculous if true to be honest, he doesn't know when to keep his mouth shut.

It's obvious at this stage his own confidants are leaking.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

A leak is, presumably a true reflection of what was said. Therefore it is not fake news or alternative facts. His own confidants must not be his friends (any more).

Hank please can you not just acknowledge what I know you must see. You are obviously intelligent and capable of critical judgement.

The man is a menace, not merely because is a blowhard and not merely because of the leaks. He is atrocious. He needs to go now.

And on that point, a leak only happens if there is water in the pipes.

Hank please can you not just acknowledge what I know you must see. You are obviously intelligent and capable of critical judgement.

The man is a menace, not merely because is a blowhard and not merely because of the leaks. He is atrocious. He needs to go now.

And on that point, a leak only happens if there is water in the pipes.

I agree.

My only real interest at this point is the Wikileaks / Collusion angle.

I agree.

My only real interest at this point is the Wikileaks / Collusion angle.

Thank you Hank. Genuinely.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,275 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Breaking:

Donald Trump told Russian Ambassador and Foreign Minister, quote:

"I just fired the head of the F.B.I. He was crazy, a real nut job,” Mr. Trump said, according to the document, which was read to The New York Times by an American official. “I faced great pressure because of Russia. That’s taken off.”

Sean Spicer, responded on record to NYT admitting the comments but saying the real issue is the leaks.

Basically admitting he fired Comey to make the Russia investigation go away. Obstruction of Justice and complete lack of understanding of serious issues. Man-child.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Despicable, tbh.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement