Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

President 'The Donald' Trump and Surprising Consequences - Mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Look, we can give out about this all we want but at the end of the day I once heard that Obama dropped an empty sugar sachet on the ground and didn't pick it up. It's nonsense to give out about if Trump were to do this when they're all really equally guilty when you think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Make America Great Again. Stupid people.

There children and Grand children, will get the worse of it, that is if a they don't die due not having health insurance first. Complete insanity that people would go against there own interests. I simply have 0 sympathy for them at this point.

Only people who I feel sorry for is the rest of us, who have to live with what these people have done.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Water John wrote: »
    ...a boycott of all Trump businesses should be initiated.

Wouldn't have stayed in his hotels, or played golf, or bought his daughters tat anyway.

I'm already put off taking a trip to visit relatives in the US because of him. What else can we boycott?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

wes wrote: »
    Environmental damage caused by pulling out of the Paris accords, and the inevitable death toll, is on the head of Trump and every single one of his supporters. The stupidity of ignoring the greatest threat to our species is truly staggering.

I think republican opposition to environmental regulations really started in earnest during the 2000 election between George W Bush and AL Gore.

It was a major issue at the time. I think Kyoto was still in effect, and Gore got pummeled on it. The republicans claimed it was all a liberal plot to tax the beloved oil companies. I think it was then that Oil companies stopped being oil companies and became "Energy" companies and we all also started hearing the phrase "Clean Coal".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭Christy42

I should be clear. He is only reported to be pulling out of the agreement. He could turn around still and make the opposite decision as he himself has not announced anything. There are also plenty of people attempting to change his mind inlcuding Tillerson. I really hope he does decide to stay in the agreement and obviously my criticism above does not apply in this case. However I do not have high hopes.

Interesting that Spicer is not appearing on camera today for his briefing according to cnn

• Advertisement

Billy86 wrote: »
    Look, we can give out about this all we want but at the end of the day I once heard that Obama dropped an empty sugar sachet on the ground and didn't pick it up. It's nonsense to give out about if Trump were to do this when they're all really equally guilty when you think about it.
    I thought that was Hillary.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

wes wrote: »
    There children and Grand children, will get the worse of it, that is if a they don't die due not having health insurance first. Complete insanity that people would go against there own interests. I simply have 0 sympathy for them at this point.

The religious fundamentalists fall into two groups, either they welcome climate catastrophe because it means The Rapture and they will all ascend to heaven. Or they just don't believe god would ever let the planet deteriorate and its a plot by godless heathens who want to bring communism to America.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,635 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

But the problem is that it not just the US which will suffer, and since it is a prosperous country, many in the US will actually be the last to suffer from Climate Change.

Has there ever been an Accord that was signed up to be all the nations in the world before (I'm guessing UN or something). And the US, after signing it, thinks it reasonable to simply walk away from it.

So what weight does US commitment carry at all. With Trump threatening Nato, Mexico, NAFTA etc it is clear that no deals that the US enter into are actually binding.

Those who claim that Trump is a clown etc, are of course right, but a clown who seems intent on causing as much damage as possible. Damage that will be felt for years/generations to come.

I think it is time that we in Europe start to make a stand. Start to boycott American goods. This carry on is simply unacceptable. Fine if he wants to screw up his own country, but this impacts the whole world. Not only does it help with climate change, by moving away from fossil fuels (particularly oil) we are reducing our dependence on the ME and it will force all those countries to actually start acted like proper countries rather than drunks at a strip club.

Money is the only thing that US understands. They will put up with pretty much anything as long as they are making money so we can all do our part.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,372 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Leroy42 wrote: »
    But the problem is that it not just the US which will suffer, and since it is a prosperous country, many in the US will actually be the last to suffer from Climate Change.

Has there ever been an Accord that was signed up to be all the nations in the world before (I'm guessing UN or something). And the US, after signing it, thinks it reasonable to simply walk away from it.

So what weight does US commitment carry at all. With Trump threatening Nato, Mexico, NAFTA etc it is clear that no deals that the US enter into are actually binding.

Those who claim that Trump is a clown etc, are of course right, but a clown who seems intent on causing as much damage as possible. Damage that will be felt for years/generations to come.

I think it is time that we in Europe start to make a stand. Start to boycott American goods. This carry on is simply unacceptable. Fine if he wants to screw up his own country, but this impacts the whole world. Not only does it help with climate change, by moving away from fossil fuels (particularly oil) we are reducing our dependence on the ME and it will force all those countries to actually start acted like proper countries rather than drunks at a strip club.

Money is the only thing that US understands. They will put up with pretty much anything as long as they are making money so we can all do our part.

Bush withdrew from Kyoto.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,948 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Here's the funny part.

China is taking these obligations super seriously.

The growth in renewables over there is surpassing anywhere on the planet and ev sales will be next. Why because they have experienced first hand what smog can do to a country. They are taking it extremely seriously

On the other side of the coin you have America which is appearing the be rejoicing in returning back to the days of coal burning and clogged up motor ways churning out toxic fumes .

Actions not words. China is all action right now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Christy42 wrote: »
    I should be clear. He is only reported to be pulling out of the agreement. He could turn around still and make the opposite decision as he himself has not announced anything. There are also plenty of people attempting to change his mind inlcuding Tillerson. I really hope he does decide to stay in the agreement and obviously my criticism above does not apply in this case. However I do not have high hopes.

Interesting that Spicer is not appearing on camera today for his briefing according to cnn
    Probably has puffy eyes from staying up all night sobbing with the prospect of yet another day acting as a spokesperson for a lunatic

listermint wrote: »
    Here's the funny part.

The growth in renewables over there is surpassing anywhere on the planet and ev sales will be next. Why because they have experienced first hand what smog can do to a country. They are taking it extremely seriously

On the other side of the coin you have America which is appearing the be rejoicing in returning back to the days of coal burning and clogged up motor ways churning out toxic fumes .

A worldwide boycott of the US might help them see reason. Would be wonderful if the internet did something positive for a change.

A worldwide boycott of the US might help them see reason. Would be wonderful if the internet did something positive for a change.

Maybe John Oliver can put out a video asking everyone from outside of the US to stop purchasing U.S. goods and services for one day.

Would probably be lynched afterwards though.

Akrasia wrote: »
    Maybe John Oliver can put out a video asking everyone from outside of the US to stop purchasing U.S. goods and services for one day.

Would probably be lynched afterwards though.

Says it all.

listermint wrote: »
    Here's the funny part.

America is a place where 'rolling coal' is a thing and rednecks deliberately modify their Diesel engines to produce as much black smoke and soot as they can in order to annoy environmentalists.

They're intelligent enough to understand engineering and mechanics, but utterly brainwashed by their media and a culture that is rabidly hostile to science

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/05/business/energy-environment/rolling-coal-in-diesel-trucks-to-rebel-and-provoke.html

Akrasia wrote: »
    America is a place where 'rolling coal' is a thing and rednecks deliberately modify their Diesel engines to produce as much black smoke and soot as they can in order to annoy environmentalists.

They're intelligent enough to understand engineering and mechanics, but utterly brainwashed by their media and a culture that is rabidly hostile to science

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/05/business/energy-environment/rolling-coal-in-diesel-trucks-to-rebel-and-provoke.html

If the US withdraws from the Paris accord, it will be in august company. Only Syria and Nicaragua have failed to sign it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,772 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Nicaragua only refused because they thought it was too weak a measure.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Nicaragua only refused because they thought it was too weak a measure.

Yeah, and fair dos to them. But they should still sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

The problem is that instead of changing their behaviour, they'll probably just invade us if we stop being profitable to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Dampsquid

Surely the only response from the rest of the world would be to place an carbon tax on US imports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,275 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Spicer claimed in the press briefing that Trump and his close circle knew what covfefe meant. Cue laughter from the press corps.

Touch of North Korea about it.... the Great Leader is infallible and cannot make a mistake! No idea how Spicer goes out and does this every day, must be soul destroying.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭Christy42

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Spicer claimed in the press briefing that Trump and his close circle knew what covfefe meant. Cue laughter from the press corps.

Touch of North Korea about it.... the Great Leader is infallible and cannot make a mistake! No idea how Spicer goes out and does this every day, must be soul destroying.

I am aware he is flat out lying and not even trying to hide it as hey who cares if nearly everything from the administration is a lie. However he could have tried a little bit. Even believing him he is still an idiot. Why would the president tweet something to the entire world that only the senior staff can understand.

Can't understand how anyone could still support this administration. It is farcical and idiotic. Even if someone is right-wing there have to be better choices. And if no one better supports your ideology you need to take a long hard look at it and wonder why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Water John

It could be a code word, to whom?

Is it Russian?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

According to the data US tourism started to decline in October. Also, according to the NTTO January and February were record months for foreign tourism spending in the US.

Surprise, tourism stated to decline in October. So absolutely no connection with the simple fact that tourism peaks in the summer and normally declines after September. The difference of course being that it's not showing the normal expected incline this year.

RobertKK wrote:
    The US will get a huge tourism boost in August. Why go now when there will be a solar eclipse going from the west coast to the east coast in August? We see how it is after that. I am going then, and from my tour organiser, he is saying August is going to be exceptionally busy this year for tourism in the US.

That's like saying there'll be a huge increase in tourism because of comic con.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

RobertKK wrote: »
    The US will get a huge tourism boost in August.
    Why go now when there will be a solar eclipse going from the west coast to the east coast in August?
    We see how it is after that.
    I am going then, and from my tour organiser, he is saying August is going to be exceptionally busy this year for tourism in the US.

How many weeks will this eclipse last? Will it last the whole month or just a few weeks? Will you be able to see the bit on the East Coast first and then get to see the bit on the West Coast later that week?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,541 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

How many weeks will this eclipse last? Will it last the whole month or just a few weeks? Will you be able to see the bit on the East Coast first and then get to see the bit on the West Coast later that week?

It will last s grand total of 1 day, August 21st

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov

• Registered Users Posts: 83,033 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

in most locations, mere minutes. I already have my camp and my hike planned out; will be watching the shadow roll over the landscape

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

namloc1980 wrote: »

I am drunk now...but spicy had to quit now! If he has aný shame....

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

It's the first of three secret messages. Trump is taking the Fatima route.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement