Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

President 'The Donald' Trump and Surprising Consequences - Mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,030 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Yeah... I had to change my user title for that gaffe.

I have $20 that it becomes the word of the year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    I am drunk now...but spicy had to quit now! If he has aný shame....
    Politician and shame quitting? You got to had more to drink than you think... Anyway; Trump is likely to grant your wish as he's looking at hire more people from Fox instead to run the communication department due to the leaks; can't see ex Fox leaking anything, right guys?
    Overheal wrote: »
    Yeah... I had to change my user title for that gaffe.

I have $20 that it becomes the word of the year.
    Sorry but I think you lost that bet; Trump never double downs or follow up on anything he does so he'll simply continue as if he never used it and it will be forgotten in a few months time and it will not really an item any more except as yet another point on the list of stupid things Trump did (and that list always needs culling anyway due to the number of items already on it).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,517 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

China is trying to take advantage of clueless Trump, lame foreign policy and Brexit. Whoulda thunk Beijing could play the long game here:http://www.politico.eu/article/in-the-age-of-trump-beijing-pivots-to-europe/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

How many weeks will this eclipse last? Will it last the whole month or just a few weeks? Will you be able to see the bit on the East Coast first and then get to see the bit on the West Coast later that week?
    astradave wrote: »
    It will last s grand total of 1 day, August 21st

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov
    Overheal wrote: »
    in most locations, mere minutes. I already have my camp and my hike planned out; will be watching the shadow roll over the landscape

So the USA will get a massive boost in tourist numbers for six minutes of darkness - and yet four years of darkness will have no noticeable effect.

I think the spin must stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    I am drunk now...but spicy had to quit now! If he has aný shame....

He should have quit on day one, as per his own standard he laid out that he would sooner quit than openly lie. He has long since surpassed the Iraqi fella Comical Ali from 2003 and will spend the rest of his life as a punchline, so I doubt he'll be quitting any time soon. The damage is done and irreparable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,635 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

The Daily Show with Trevor Noah summed it up well last night.

The WH has realised that trying to make sense of anything that is happening is not really possible, they are simply on the defensive too much.

So the only way to deal with that (other than get rid of Trump I suppose) is to go on the attack and make your own agenda. SPicer statement about the recent foreign trip (amazing, brilliant etc) is pure fantasy but to try to deal with the actuality would be too difficult so better to just make up your own.

The plan must be that be sticking to this propaganda they can override the narrative.

I also don't get this feeling that Spicer is having a hard time of it. He knew what he was getting into, and from the 1st day (size of the crowd) he agreed to be the the main propagandist. I have no sympathy for him

• Registered Users Posts: 14,372 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Igotadose wrote: »
    China is trying to take advantage of clueless Trump, lame foreign policy and Brexit. Whoulda thunk Beijing could play the long game here:http://www.politico.eu/article/in-the-age-of-trump-beijing-pivots-to-europe/

Just wonder if Trump will surprisingly agree to the accord and portray himself as having reflected deeply, thus being seen as wise and decisive. Probably not, as he's an arse, but we live in hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

Just wonder if Trump will surprisingly agree to the accord and portray himself as having reflected deeply, thus being seen as wise and decisive. Probably not, as he's an arse, but we live in hope.

His local controllers (Robert and Rebekah Mercer) are climate change deniers. In fact Robert Mercer is the biggest financer of anti climate change 'research' worldwide.
    Theresa May who is also beholden to Mercer (Cambridge Analytica, RW media, Global RW axis) has been trying to undermine/water down the EUs position for the Paris accord even though it makes no difference to the UK
    http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/theresa-may-donald-trump-mole-eu-europe-climate-change-greenpeace-leaked-documents-a7761236.html
    I dont think they have gone to all this trouble to stop now.

demfad wrote: »
    His local controllers (Robert and Rebekah Mercer) are climate change deniers. In fact Robert Mercer is the biggest financer of anti climate change 'research' worldwide.
    Theresa May who is also beholden to Mercer (Cambridge Analytica, RW media, Global RW axis) has been trying to undermine/water down the EUs position for the Paris accord even though it makes no difference to the UK
    http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/theresa-may-donald-trump-mole-eu-europe-climate-change-greenpeace-leaked-documents-a7761236.html
    I dont think they have gone to all this trouble to stop now.

Yeah. And Pruitt is head of the EPA. It's like Alice In Wonderland.

You're probably right. He'll be told what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,635 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

The backlash he is facing, both within America and the rest of the world may have an effect. It is clear that Trump has no real position on this, doesn't know the facts.

The fact that he is dragging this out. 1st in the g7 meeting, turning up there without an answer is rude if nothing else. It would have been clearly earmarked on the agendas prior to it and all he could say was he needed more time. He has never stated what areas he even has a difficulty with.

He might well be that he opts to stay in. Announce it and he becomes the saviour of the world. Trump delivered the Paris Accord. Trump saves the planet. Trump leads the world. All those potential headlines - it might be too much adulation for him to spurn.

On the other side, there are nearly 50% of Americans that don't believe in man made climate change so by not backing out how does that play out to them (many of which would be his core voters).

One thing is for certain, Trump is loving keeping everyone in suspense. The whole world is waiting for him to speak. Not just his business associates, not just his family, not even just America. The whole world. it really does not get any better for a narcissist

• Advertisement

Leroy42 wrote: »
    The backlash he is facing, both within America and the rest of the world may have an effect. It is clear that Trump has no real position on this, doesn't know the facts.

The fact that he is dragging this out. 1st in the g7 meeting, turning up there without an answer is rude if nothing else. It would have been clearly earmarked on the agendas prior to it and all he could say was he needed more time. He has never stated what areas he even has a difficulty with.

He might well be that he opts to stay in. Announce it and he becomes the saviour of the world. Trump delivered the Paris Accord. Trump saves the planet. Trump leads the world. All those potential headlines - it might be too much adulation for him to spurn.

On the other side, there are nearly 50% of Americans that don't believe in man made climate change so by not backing out how does that play out to them (many of which would be his core voters).

One thing is for certain, Trump is loving keeping everyone in suspense. The whole world is waiting for him to speak. Not just his business associates, not just his family, not even just America. The whole world. it really does not get any better for a narcissist

Very well put. This really does feed his Ego.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭covfefe

Water John wrote:
    Covfefe; Definition. A message, sent by social media, that makes no sense.
    Hi, I've been sent here by social media, I've gone decided more even as that when like to do want really much

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

covfefe wrote: »
    Hi, I've been sent here by social media, I've gone decided more even as that when like to do want really much

Is that you Sarah Palin?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

A little over a week ago, the Russian Embassy tweeted:

https://twitter.com/rusembusa/status/866878210939781120
    Russia is seeking to return its diplomatic property in #US���� asap.
    Otherwise, we will have to take counter measures https://sptnkne.ws/e28K

This linked to a Sputnik story with the headline:

Moscow Warns of Response to Seizure of Russian Diplomatic Property in US

Now, sure enough, the Trump administration moves to return them.

These are properties that were basically used for spying by those pesky Russians until they were kicked out by some guy call Obama.
    President Barack Obama said Dec. 29 that the compounds were being “used by Russian personnel for intelligence-related purposes” and gave Russia 24 hours to vacate them. Separately, Obama expelled from the United States what he said were 35 Russian “intelligence operatives.”

According to the WaPo article I linked above, the Trump administration was going to return them in exchange for getting rid of Russia's little sanction on the US. This then changed for some reason and now they are getting the properties back in return for nothing.
    Early last month, the Trump administration told the Russians that it would consider turning the properties back over to them if Moscow would lift its freeze, imposed in 2014 in retaliation for U.S. sanctions related to Ukraine, on construction of a new U.S. consulate on a certain parcel of land in St. Petersburg.

Two days later, the U.S. position changed. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson told Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov and Russian Ambassador Sergey Kislyak at a meeting in Washington that the United States had dropped any linkage between the compounds and the consulate, according to several people with knowledge of the exchanges.

Assuming for a moment that I haven't fallen for a hoax, this looks a little suspicious to me. Notice how we've gone from "Didn't meet with any Russians" to "OK, maybe passed them in a hallway" to "OK, we had discussions but we can't remember what we talked about" to "OK we talked, but definitely not about setting up a back channel" to "OK we talked about a back channel but it was OK". I do think we're getting fairly close to "OK, we colluded but there's nothing illegal about that".

In fact, Fox news has been spinning that Collusion isn't illegal. I wonder if they're seeing the writing on the wall?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Another reason not even Trump's most die hard fans sh*te on about 'drain the swamp' anymore - http://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-exempts-entire-senior-staff-from-white-house-ethics-rules

• Registered Users Posts: 11,685 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

So basically it's acceptable to the GOP and it's voters to collude with the state that had as its life-mission the task of turning the USA into a soviet satellite than to elect a person fit to run the USS America, while the same party is bitching about lefties wrecking the good old USA. Stalin, Lenin and co must be applauding Vlad from their graves.

aloyisious wrote: »
    So basically it's acceptable to the GOP and it's voters to collude with the state that had as its life-mission the task of turning the USA into a soviet satellite than to elect a person fit to run the USS America, while the same party is botching about lefties wrecking the good old USA. Stalin, Lenin and co must be applauding Vlad from their graves.

All while Reagan spins. It's really quite surreal. Republicans have completely flipped in their attitudes to Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭Christy42

Billy86 wrote: »
    Another reason not even Trump's most die hard fans sh*te on about 'drain the swamp' anymore - http://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-exempts-entire-senior-staff-from-white-house-ethics-rules

One of the few good things Trump had done and it is ruined. Seriously no one challenged that on either side of the aisle and it is now dead.

Did he have anything else good that he has yet to ruin?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Billy86 wrote: »

In fairness, some of them do...but the "swamp creatures" they want to get rid of is pretty much anyone to the left of Jeff "Too Racist To Get Appointed As A Federal Judge in the 1980s" Sessions, I remember the chant starting up again when Comey got fired.

I wonder if Trump cares about the elevation of Mar-a-Lago. Or as he likes to call it during his dog-whistling, the "southern White House".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,685 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

All while Reagan spins. It's really quite surreal. Republicans have completely flipped in their attitudes to Russia.

One of the amusing things that I can't forget is that Don Trump was originally a member of the Democratic Party. But hey, a week is a long time in politics....

Awww...... another leak. http://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/britain/nigel-farage-is-a-person-of-interest-in-trumprussia-investigation-35778329.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The Guardian is reporting that Farage is now an FBI person of interest in the probe due to his various links.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

ThisRegard wrote: »
    The Guardian is reporting that Farage is now an FBI person of interest in the probe due to his various links.

Yep. The conspiracy may be about to get International.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

aloyisious wrote: »
    So basically it's acceptable to the GOP and it's voters to collude with the state that had as its life-mission the task of turning the USA into a soviet satellite than to elect a person fit to run the USS America, while the same party is bitching about lefties wrecking the good old USA. Stalin, Lenin and co must be applauding Vlad from their graves.

Imagine how the Rosenbergs would feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Jared Kushner, an ordinary US citizen, talking of setting up secret intelligence channels with a foreign power. It's called treason.

From the New York Times. Includes video from Putin himself.
    MOSCOW — Shifting from his previous blanket denials, President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia said on Thursday that “patriotically minded” private Russian hackers could have been involved in cyberattacks last year to help the presidential campaign of Donald J. Trump.

I seem to remember him saying similar stuff back when little green men started vacationing in Ukraine with heavy military equipment. That was obviously before these little green men were later presented with medals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

At least one of the hackers that Farage may have been in contact with is believed to be a Russian agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I found this interesting from CNN. They got trump supporters to give their opinion on how good trump is doing. I feel so bad for the two guys at the back. They seem to be at different stages of buyers remorse over voting for trump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

From the New York Times. Includes video from Putin himself.

I seem to remember him saying similar stuff back when little green men started vacationing in Ukraine with heavy military equipment. That was obviously before these little green men were later presented with medals.

I think it will be recorded in the long run of our history (if we get a history:confused:) that our failure to recognise Putin for what he is, was a large part of our problems.

Putin has for over a decade demonstrated his dictatorial ambitions, and not just shown them but 'actioned' them. Whether for diplomatic, or sheer hope, reasons we have tolerated/ignored his many egregious encroachments on democracy and human rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

This to my mind is the most despicable thing Trump has done to date, by some margin, hopefully his presidency fails in the meantime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,428 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Inquitus wrote: »
    This to my mind is the most despicable thing Trump has done to date, by some margin, hopefully his presidency fails in the meantime.

'clean coal', ffs, are people really buying this ****!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement