Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

President 'The Donald' Trump and Surprising Consequences - Mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

If we're being brutally honest, they alienated him and continue to do so. Look at the daily press briefings, children are better behaved.

Second point is hard to disagree with.

He can do no right anymore in the eyes of CNN, Wapo, NYT etc. In his own mind he just has to plough on now. Must be heartbreaking for an egotist to get such negative press fairly or unfairly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

If we're being brutally honest, they alienated him and continue to do so. Look at the daily press briefings, children are better behaved.

I'm not sure what kind of media bubble you've created for yourself but the press didn't suddenly decide to dislike him for no reason.

During the campaign, he had the media in cages while he lambasted them. It's gotten so bad that his supporters just yell "Fake News" at news they don't like without realising that the term in that context has no currency outside of The_Donald, infowars and breitbart.

As for the briefings, have you actually seen them? Spicer's answers to questions rarely make sense and are often flat-out contradicted by Trump himself the next day. And you think they're being childish by looking for straight answers- you know, doing their job?

He can do no right anymore in the eyes of CNN, Wapo, NYT etc. In his own mind he just has to plough on now. Must be heartbreaking for an egotist to get such negative press fairly or unfairly.

What's worth remembering is that Trump didn't just land on earth in the 2012 or something. He's been a sleazy, dishonest piece of work for at least the past 50 years and everyone, including the press, knows this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

The hysteria in the media exists for two reasons: I. In his first month he threatened and alienated the vast majority of news outlets. 2. He's dangerously incompetent.

Well if he cannot cope with US media, he shouldnt have run. He got it far easier than Hilary historically has.

Nor is his incompetence news. It was obvious from when he ran he was not a good candidate. Anyone up front who voted him because he was better than Clinton was irrational. His faults are glaringly obvious and have been for years. I have never understood why anyone lionised him.

What's worth remembering is that Trump didn't just land on earth in the 2012 or something. He's been a sleazy, dishonest piece of work for at least the past 50 years and everyone, including the press, knows this.

And the intel services will have been monitoring him for those 50 years. Predictably, he's made a good job of alienating them too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

It appears that congress and the FBI are investigating a third meeting between Sessions and Kislyak at the Mayflower hotel which also may have provided a meeting between Donald Trump and Kislyak.
    Trump's campaign was launched there. His speech was written by Richard Burt a pro Russian who had worked for Gazprom.
    If it emerges Sessions lied again, he cant survive short term. Medium to long term his sins will catch up with him.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/did-trump-kushner-sessions-have-undisclosed-meeting-russian-n767096?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Celticfire

DBMTMVCUAAEuQBz.jpg

Not as bad as watching MSM trip over themselves.

(sorry about image size, tried to find a smaller one.:o)

Celticfire wrote: »
    DBMTMVCUAAEuQBz.jpg

Can you link to the actual articles please and quote the contradictions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭NinjaKirby

demfad wrote: »
    Can you link to the actual articles please and quote the contradictions?

Yeah, I was looking into this too. Turns out it's actually true.

April 4 - Everyone Should Have A Shot At Paid Family Leave
    http://edition.cnn.com/2017/04/04/opinions/paid-family-leave-for-all-boushey-bethell/

May 22 - Trump's Budget To Include Paid Family Leave
    http://edition.cnn.com/2017/05/22/politics/trump-paid-leave-ivanka/index.html

May 30 - How Paid Family Leave Hurts Women
    http://edition.cnn.com/2017/05/30/opinions/trump-budget-paid-leave-calder-opinion/

Of course maybe CNN just changed their minds. It is funny though.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Feasog Dearg

Hardly CNN - these are both Opinion pieces and CNN should be publishing both viewpoints... In fact, the actual authors are from Institutes with wildly different political stances.

Edit: To clarify that "both pieces" relates to the Apr 4 and May 22 pieces.
    NinjaKirby wrote: »

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/04/04/opinions/paid-family-leave-for-all-boushey-bethell/

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/05/30/opinions/trump-budget-paid-leave-calder-opinion/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Hang on, the first and third articles are by completely different people; that's like saying the Irish Times contradicted itself when it published opinion pieces by Fintan O'Toole and Breda O'Brien on same-sex marriage.

B0jangles wrote: »
    Hang on, the first and third articles are by completely different people; that's like saying the Irish Times contradicted itself when it published opinion pieces by Fintan O'Toole and Breda O'Brien on same-sex marriage.

No problem.

I just saw the posted headlines and thought that doesn't seem right.

Another poster asked for the links to the actual articles so I provided them because I was already looking into that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭Christy42

Celticfire wrote: »
    DBMTMVCUAAEuQBz.jpg

Trump supporters complain about a lack of balance and then complain when they have opinion pieces representing both sides of an issue.

I agree paid family leave is a good thing but cnn posts pieces from varying sources.

As for Hank. Blaming Democrats for a Republican president is hilarious. Sure their campaign could have been better but I still the majority of the blame goes on those who campaigned for him and voted for him when it was mind numbingly obvious that he was a con man. When he declared he would go against climate change. When he declared he would implement a Muslim ban. When he defrauded people through Trump university. When it was pointed out repeatedly he did not have the power to bring back the jobs he was promising. When he obviously could not string several words together coherently and his best performances came when everything was scripted for him by others.

Sure Democrats should have ran a better campaign but Republicans should have nominated someone who has some idea of at least a few of the issues involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

There's no contradiction here, you only have to read the very first paragraph of the 1st and 3rd article
    Heather Boushey is the executive director of the Washington Center for Equitable Growth, and former chief economist for Hillary Clinton's transition team. She is also the author of "Finding Time: The Economics of Work-Life Conflict," from Harvard University Press. Katie Bethell is the executive director of Paid Leave for the US, a new national nonpartisan organization dedicated to winning paid family leave for everyone in the United States. The views expressed in this commentary are their own.
    Vanessa Brown Calder is a policy analyst at the Cato Institute, where she focuses on social welfare, housing and urban policy. The views expressed in this commentary are solely those of the author.

You're really grasping at straws Celticfire.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    There's no contradiction here, you only have to read the very first paragraph of the 3rd article

FFS.

There was a poster who asked for the links to the articles. I provided the links.

I went looking for the links because I suspected that the original post with only images of the "headlines" was BS.

That's it. That's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

And so we have been successfully distracted from Trump's decision to vandalise an unprecedented world agreement otherwise not agreed by a country in the middle of a civil war and a country which felt the agreement was inadequate.

America must be completely destitute that it can't afford to sign up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

FFS.

There was a poster who asked for the links to the articles. I provided the links.

I went looking for the links because I suspected that the original post with only images of the "headlines" was BS.

That's it. That's all.

But said
    Of course maybe CNN just changed their minds. It is funny though

Anyway, my comment was mainly targeted at Celticfire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

No problem.

I just saw the posted headlines and thought that doesn't seem right.

Another poster asked for the links to the actual articles so I provided them because I was already looking into that.

Cheers for posting the links, and yeah, my post was directed at the person who brought the headlines up in the first place :)

ThisRegard wrote: »
    But said
    "Of course maybe CNN just changed their minds. It is funny though"

That's because it is funny to me. I'm sorry but it is.

For me, the whole situation is a joke and I like to come onto this thread to have a chuckle at the people arguing over Trump. Something wrong with that?

That's because it is funny to me. I'm sorry but it is.

For me, the whole situation is a joke and I like to come onto this thread to have a chuckle at the people arguing over Trump. Something wrong with that?

What do you find funny about the discussion?

• Advertisement

What do you find funny about the discussion?

Not just the discussion. The whole situation.

The USA have somehow managed to elect an Internet Troll as President and I think it's great laugh. Sorry.

Look, I live in Ireland and I didn't vote in the US elections. I'll probably never even visit America. I don't even know if they'd let me in!

I am sure when it starts affecting my life here I'll have to go out and protest or demand the Irish government do something, I don't know.

This discussion on Boards isn't going to change the world so I think it's good to engage with people in conversation but there is no need to take it SO seriously.

If you approach this tread as a neutral observer then it's great entertainment to be honest.

And the intel services will have been monitoring him for those 50 years. Predictably, he's made a good job of alienating them too.

Exactly. This was his biggest mistake (bold claim, I know). Authoritarians routinely go after the press but they're just not stupid enough to take on their intelligence agencies.

And we're seeing the results of this mistake now. Notice the information coming out of the NYT and WaPo. Much of this information is coming to them from a high level within these agencies in a very controlled fashion.

Demfad's recent post describes the Mayflower meeting. This is the first MSM storey placing Trump himself with Kysliak as far as I can tell. Prior to this, it was just members of his cabinet.

Not just the discussion. The whole situation.

The USA have somehow managed to elect an Internet Troll as President and I think it's great laugh. Sorry.

Look, I live in Ireland and I didn't vote in the US elections. I'll probably never even visit America. I don't even know if they'd let me in!

I am sure when it starts affecting my life here I'll have to go out and protest or demand the Irish government do something, I don't know.

This discussion on Boards isn't going to change the world so I think it's good to engage with people in conversation but there is no need to take it SO seriously.

If you approach this tread as a neutral observer then it's great entertainment to be honest.

Fair enough. That's a good perspective to take. Personally, I find it fascinating. I also think that his election does affect people throughout the world in a variety of ways. But you're right, my ranting on Boards isn't going to change anything. Unless....are you there Donald? Send me a sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Suggest to you, Ninja, move across to After Hours, which I enjoy.
    Trump, Bannon et al are no laughing matter.

The EU maintains it will take 4 years for the US to extricate themselves from the Paris Accord: 4 years to actually leave.

Just a view of where Trump is coming from on this:

The money behind his main Superpac is Robert Mercer. With Mercer came Bannon and KA Conway amonst others.
    He is completely against climate change in fact he is one of the main funders of 'research' into climate denial.

This isn't about Coal this is about Robert Mercers reasons for this.
    This is about minimizing State and supraState interference in big business and maximising billionaire control of the world we live in.

Trump was always going to leave, not because of coal or his manifesto. But because he was told to do so by Mercer (Bannon).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Water John

And Sessions is also key to this group, Demfad.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Lighten up bud, the vast majority of us here have zero influence over the vote in the US, quarrelling back and fourth is for entertainment and time passing purposes only.
    I'll "lighten up" when idiot politicians and their enablers - including the people who think existential crises are terribly amusing - stop threatening the future of our species.
    Trump ran on withdrawing from the agreement, and like the travel ban, I don't get the hysteria when he's followed through on it.
    If he ran on a platform of dropping nukes on Denmark, would you get the "hysteria" if he followed through on it?

The idea that it's OK for an idiot politician to do irreversible damage to the planet on the basis that he promised he was going to do so, and enough idiots thought it was a good idea to vote for him to do so, is symptomatic of the bizarre idea that any terrible action is justifiable once it has a veneer of democratic legitimacy.
    I think he's made a mess of the Presidency but it has little to do with his actual politics.
    He doesn't have any actual politics. The only reasonable explanation for the trajectory of the Trump presidency is that the man is insane, and that he's being used by other people in ways he's incapable of understanding.
    In 3 years time the Dems will likely get in and do whatever they want, that's how elections work, there's winner and a loser, if we can't have a laugh in the meantime what's the point of doing anything at all.
    Yeah, fcuk it. If he starts a nuclear war and destroys the planet, what about it? The survivors can just vote for a Democrat in 2020. It's all a bit of a lark, isn't it?

The USA have somehow managed to elect an Internet Troll as President and I think it's great laugh.
    Yeah, it's hilarious. Maybe you can explain to your grandchildren that you would have loved to have left them a functioning ecosystem, but you were too busy laughing about the problem to do anything about it.
    I guess as long as it's only other people who are affected, it's a bit much to expect you to care.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Breaking news!
    Trump has announced that America are pulling out of the Montreal Protocol.

In a statement Trump proclaimed that he wants "Make fridges great again"

In another surprise development, Trump announced that effective immediately, lead is being re-introduced into all sources of gasoline.

"Regulations are hurting our economy. pumping lead into our air and water is what made America. Fake scientists working for China have had their way for too long"

Fair enough. That's a good perspective to take. Personally, I find it fascinating. I also think that his election does affect people throughout the world in a variety of ways. But you're right, my ranting on Boards isn't going to change anything. Unless....are you there Donald? Send me a sign.

I reckon Trump checks Reddit but I doubt he checks Boards. :)

Thing is, with the Climate Change thing, we are already f*cked. Yeah, we probably can't just go around devouring resources and pumping toxic awfulness into the atmosphere and expect to just repent on our deathbeds. I think it's already over and if we can give the planet an extra 100 years or so of life then that's fine. What kind of quality of life will that be, I don't know?

I don't even know where to begin with US foreign policy and their interference with other nations. That's why I think it's hilarious that they are crying out over Russian interference.

You are right. It is fascinating and I honestly really like and respect many of the people who post here. I appreciate the passion and the back and forth arguments but, for me, we are already screwed and I just see it as entertainment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭cylor

Pulling out of the Paris Accord was just to score a "win" that he desperately needs, i.e. undo an Obama achievement, tick off one of his campaign promise. It'd give the impression to his supporters that he's a tough guy not afraid to walk out of something even if it's unpopular. Give a fat middle finger to the rest of the world.
    The outrage on the expectation that the US will change direction completely, do nothing about emissions and destroy the planet may be exaggerated. Coal won't make a dramatic come-back, renewable energy industry will continue to thrive in the US, and voluntary actions by companies/states will mean the US will continue to curb emissions anyway. They will do less about it actively, but that wasn't the reason for pulling out of the accord since the targets are non-binding.
    Biggest negative of this action is alienating the US from the rest of the world in terms of leadership, standing, reputation. But we all know Trump doesn't care about that if that makes him look good among his supporters, and score that vital "win". He made this "celebratory" announcement in the rose garden with a jazz band FFS.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement