Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

President 'The Donald' Trump and Surprising Consequences - Mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

NinjaKirby wrote: »
    Given that everyone knows that some dodgy stuff goes on in the background when it comes to politics, shouldn't Trumps opponents shoulder the responsibility for not anticipating and countering these bullsh** narratives?

What a bizarre statement.

"Everyone knows" dodgy stuff goes on in elections?? So its not the republicans fault for lying so blatantly?

I don't think the working class voters of Appalachia for example were assuming it was all lies when trump promised them jobs and amazing healthcare.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

OK. Sorry.

Why was the fake news that helped Trump specifically so powerful and so unstoppable? Especially when we know that politicians have been engaging in these tactics for a long long time?

The difference this time is Russia. They were involved. The question is how much involvement did they have and was there coordination between them and actors in the US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭NinjaKirby

InTheTrees wrote: »
    What a bizarre statement.

"Everyone knows" dodgy stuff goes on in elections?? So its not the republicans fault for lying so blatantly?

I don't think the working class voters of Appalachia for example were assuming it was all lies when trump promised them jobs and amazing healthcare.

I was referring to narratives posted online from Russia and Macedonia. Nothing to do with Republicans promising jobs and healthcare.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Says you. People deal with things their own way.

In a parallel universe I'm sure we'd have threads about the awfulness of Ted Cruz or Hillary Clinton.

Are any of us in a position to do anything other than comment on Trump and Bannon etc? I guess we could "spread the word" about how bad they are but there seems to be enough noise out there already.

If I put a bunch of witty anti-Trump stuff on my Facebook I get a whole ton of likes but I don't feel like it's contributing to anything significant.
    Actually, given the way manipulation of social media played a huge part in Trump's election, if everyone liked and shared anti trump commentary on social media, the facebook and google algorithms would highlight these stories instead of the Breitbart and other propaganda.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,443 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Interesting that everyday, someone here is available and willing to pick up the deflection baton.

Trump, in thrall to Mercer and Bannon, withdraws the US from the Paris Accord.
    That's the story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,324 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

mg I just listened to that idiot in the WH press briefing about Paris deal on CNN

what a moran

• Registered Users Posts: 11,685 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Some... edit... a lot of the time I think that Don & Co are just pushing people's buttons for fun, that Don & Co are winding up Spicer with B/S and they are using him to launch trial balloons to see how the Senate & Congress committees will react. They know the media outlets will report on his tweets & W/House comments made in relation to them.

CNN reporting the latest balloons that Don is considering claiming executive privilege to prevent Comey testifying before committee and that W/H has asked the USSC to allow the travel ban go into operation until it comes to a decision on the legality of the lower appeal court decisions banning the ban.

Whatever else about Don, he's certainly kept a one-line agenda and kept the media outlets busy for the past few months, despite being a contrarian OAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Chortle.

http://www.iflscience.com/environment/a-top-senate-democrat-reminded-trump-that-he-once-urged-obama-to-act-on-climate-change/
    A top Senate Democrat jabbed President Donald Trump on Thursday by reviving an eight-year-old letter in which Trump calls for urgent action on climate change.

In the open letter, which appeared as a full-page advertisement in a 2009 edition of The New York Times, Trump and other business leaders urge then-President Obama to enact climate legislation, invest in clean energy projects, and lead the world in combating climate change. Trump's three adult children are also listed as signatories.

DBP72xfXUAA2pbu.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Jimmy Dore has some good stuff on youtube

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Jimmy Dore has some good stuff on youtube

Ok new to the thread - that vid is standard fare bull****. Nothing substantial outside of the usual scripted talking points addressed. Political footballs extraordiare. A master-class in talking a lot and saying f?ck all.

Nate

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

A master-class in talking a lot and saying f?ck all.

Nate

Meh, opinions and all. I find it surprising that I agree with most of what he says the more I watch him. It's a breath of fresh air from the usual Russia blame game narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,634 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

If you want to see someone say nothing at all watch Spicers latest Press Conf.

No answers, doesn't seem to have talked to the POTUS about the decision, no idea what Trump thinks, no idea how the decision was made, no idea on the plan going forward.

It was a shameful, unprofessional and quite simply a joke of a press conf given the enormity of the announcement

Also VPOTUS came out yesterday stating that he doesn't understand why the whole climate change thing is such an issue on the left! The Left! He thinks dome liberal agenda. Pushed by that bastian of liberalism China and Russis!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,946 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Meh, opinions and all. I find it surprising that I agree with most of what he says the more I watch him. It's a breath of fresh air from the usual Russia blame game narrative.

Narrative?

what narrative. There is evidence factual evidence all over the place.

Kushner meets the Head of a Sanctioned Russian Bank with Kremlin Ties, And only this week Kushners people say that it was in relation to him being the head of the Trumps global real estate business and was about a new business strategy, the white house comes out and says it was nothing to do with business it was one of many diplomatic encounters the soon to be potential presidential advisor was taking on.

They are chasing their own tales.

What is even more hilarious is Gorkov, the head of the bank Kushner just met with fly straight to Japan after that meeting Dec 14 where none other than Putin was visiting 15 and 16 Dec.

Attempts to paint this as a narrative are incredibly transparent. This isnt a narrative this is following the trail of lies many of them conflicting with each other and the White house is falling over its own feet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

About 100 pages ago you essentially cried "mea culpa" when it came to Trump's inability to cover his own very dirty tracks. You said things like "this is not how a smart man acts" and "he has so much going in his favour and he chooses to turn up the heat on himself when it's not needed" when it came to the Russia ties, both business and political.

I remember thanking that post and thinking it was a very decent thing to do to simply admit you had been hoodwinked by PR soundbites. Most people would be too proud to do it

Now, however, you have regressed straight back into the "narratives" angle and are looking to regurgitate the same proud bollocks while pointing the finger elsewhere. I think you need to swallow your pride again,

That Jimmy Dore video surprisingly enough, reminds me of CNN's "He'll act presidential once in office" line they kept telling themselves (and everyone else) to keep some spark of hope alive and help them sleep easier at night. Well guess what, Mike Pence is just as inept at leading a country as Trump is. He wont be a man of the middle ground because he happily fawns over Trump and gleefully defends whatever conspiracy theory Trump is spouting just to keep the status quo going.

The most valuable asset to Mike Pence is not Donald Trump's billion dollar bank account but whatever just happens to be politically expedient for him in the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Can he not change his mind?

In order to change one's mind, one must firstly be in possession of a mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Can he not change his mind?

Of course he can change his mind! problem is Comrade Trump changes his mind like the wind...that way he cant be pinned down for anything because there is always somewhere out there on and opinion of his that is completely opposite to his current position:confused:

What people are pointing out is the complete shameless hypocrisy of the man
    :mad:

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    Of course he can change his mind! problem is Comrade Trump changes his mind like the wind...that way he cant be pinned down for anything because there is always somewhere out there on and opinion of his that is completely opposite to his current position:confused:

What people are pointing out is the complete shameless hypocrisy of the man
    :mad:

Yeah of course Obama was never a hypocrite :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

If Trump is continuing to try to keep his pledges, I hope those in Fifth Avenue remember his boast that he could shoot someone dead on Fifth Avenue live on television and people would still vote for him.

I would be nervous if I was on Fifth Ave and spotted a TV crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭SkepticQuark

Yeah of course Obama was never a hypocrite :rolleyes:

Obama isn't President anymore. "But, but Obama! But, but Hillary!"

• Advertisement

roddy15 wrote: »
    Obama isn't President anymore. "But, but Obama! But, but Hillary!"

Neither was trump in 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,555 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Trump slated Obama for many many things, he has then gone in to do the exact same things (on a much larger scale) and yet still people defend him for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭SkepticQuark

You know I really can't fathom how you are clutching at straws to defend someone who thinks climate change is one big hoax yet his business decisions depict a different story:
    http://www.politico.com/story/2016/05/donald-trump-climate-change-golf-course-223436

You don't need to go back as far as 2009 to see what a joke Trump is in relation to climate change.

It doesn't matter if he wasn't President in 2009, he is now so everything he has said that relates to decisions he is making now should be held accountable. I personally would have done the exact same thing if Hillary was elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Michael Bloomberg has said Trump currently has a 55% odds of being re-elected in 2020.

One can see it on twitter, exiting the Paris agreement went down very well with his base.

Of course Trump first has to survive the Comey/Russian investigations.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,946 ✭✭✭✭listermint

RobertKK wrote: »
    Michael Bloomberg has said Trump currently has a 55% odds of being re-elected in 2020.

One can see it on twitter, exiting the Paris agreement went down very well with his base.

Trump has zero percent hope of being re-elected.

You can take that one to the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,685 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Bedtime is great for musing. I never gave much thought as to why I didn't like Don running for office and realise that, to me here in Ireland, he was an unknown quantity something not seen in irish [until after the fact] politics. Promising to lock up his political opponents to their faces and getting applause for it, getting cheers from his audience when he said he'd like to go down there and punch a protester in the face. To me it seemed obvious that Don was promising to walk all over their constitution and its guarantees to the citizens and they were lapping it up. He stated that he wrote the tax laws, knew all about them, that he was going to change them. Well, he's keeping his electoral promises, he's screwing his voters over legally and royally and those who know it are chicken, doing sweet F/A about him, the rest don't yet see the dump he's doing on them.

I realise now that my dislike for Don was instinctive, that he was and is bad for the herd. The voters were told by him what he was going to do in their name and those who voted for him are responsible for giving him the power to do whatever he wants. They've gotten what they wanted, a tax-cheating deal-breaking compulsive liar and chancer. They can try explain to their grandchildren why they voted Don into office. When they come around to the elections in 2018 and 2020, they have a chance to make good on the bad they have done and vote the two elephants in office out of office.

GOP heads rolling out an excuse "the Dems are to blame - they didn't do good enough to be voted in" is like an "alternative fact" as the reason why Don got in instead. It's like the GOP saying "Don who? - we never voted for him - he wasn't our candidate".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

listermint wrote: »
    Trump has zero percent hope of being re-elected.

You can take that one to the bank.

Which is pretty much what everyone said about a Trump presidency.

Hope you're right, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

aloyisious wrote: »
    GOP heads rolling out an excuse "the Dems are to blame - they didn't do good enough to be voted in" is like an "alternative fact" as the reason why Don got in instead. It's like the GOP saying "Don who? - we never voted for him - he wasn't our candidate".

Give it a few years and nobody will have voted for Trump in 2016, the same way 150,000+ were at Thomond Park to watch Munster beat the All Blacks in the 1970s,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

RobertKK wrote: »

In other news, the Kool-Aid was initially well-received by Jonestown residents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭Christy42

In other news, the Kool-Aid was initially well-received by Jonestown residents.

In fairness he has a good point. As long as that base keep him propped up he can keep making horrible decisions. I am still unsure as to whether or not he can win re election. I will see how it plays out. I agree eventually no one will admit to voting for him. I am just hoping the switch does not take too long.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement