Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

President 'The Donald' Trump and Surprising Consequences - Mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,023 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

listermint wrote: »
    Trump has zero percent hope of being re-elected.

You can take that one to the bank.

That's - that's what they said about his first term bid...

(It's over nine thousaaaaaaand!)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I was watching Smerconish on CNN when Michael Bloomberg was brought up and what he said, his guest said the worst thing anyone can do is to underestimate Trump, that people have been underestimating him and being wrong, again and again, as in he will never get the GOP nomination, he will never win the presidency, he won't do whatever and then does it.
    Sorry I can't remember the names of the guest, another said that what Trump is doing is keeping his base happy, but one has to wonder if this will be short term gain and over the longer term he loses out.

The world is going to a period of change, it is hard to predict anything these days, maybe Corbyn pulls off a miracle in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Nikki Haley has come out and said Trump believes the climate is changing and humans have a role in it.

If one believes that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,685 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

RobertKK wrote: »
    I was watching Smerconish on CNN when Michael Bloomberg was brought up and what he said, his guest said the worst thing anyone can do is to underestimate Trump, that people have been underestimating him and being wrong, again and again, as in he will never get the GOP nomination, he will never win the presidency, he won't do whatever and then does it.
    Sorry I can't remember the names of the guest, another said that what Trump is doing is keeping his base happy, but one has to wonder if this will be short term gain and over the longer term he loses out.

The world is going to a period of change, it is hard to predict anything these days, maybe Corbyn pulls off a miracle in the UK.

Somewhat like the stories that UK parties and people thought the referendum to leave the EU wouldn't be passed. Lo and behold Mr Nick Farage appears in the US on the Trump team. Stranger than fiction. I'm actually wondering if Corbyn pulls another trick out of his bag and asks the people should we leave.....

• Registered Users Posts: 33,946 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Sorry but no. The tired electorate that there was before trump now see the disaster he was and it won't happen again . Don't waste a penny betting on it.

He single handedly saved the French elections and no doubt will reflect in Germany too. Absolute disaster of a president and represents everything that can and would go wrong from electing a sound byte Moron.

Mark these words he won't be re-elected the conditions are simply no the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭Christy42

People seem to have this inherit belief that we won't do the stupidest things in spite of all evidence to the contrary. I mean all logic suggests that Trump has no hope of winning a second term (either primary challenger, impeachment or Democrat) but I don't have faith in the ability of the US to do what is logical.

Until he is gone I won't count out his ability to screw up this planet a bit more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Ipse dixit

Christy42 wrote: »
    People seem to have this inherit belief that we won't do the stupidest things in spite of all evidence to the contrary. I mean all logic suggests that Trump has no hope of winning a second term (either primary challenger, impeachment or Democrat) but I don't have faith in the ability of the US to do what is logical.

Until he is gone I won't count out his ability to screw up this planet a bit more.

Hillary probably would have won more of the swing voters if the Democrats didn't focus so heavily on Trump's flaws instead of the benefits of her own policies. It's hard to see them making the same mistakes in 2020. Trump is making their campaign easy for them. A platform of some change will be easy enough for them to pull off, particularly now with this climate change nonsense from Trump.

It would be a catastrophe if they don't start reversing the trend of losing ground to the GOP and start making decent gains in the mid-terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,685 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Ipse dixit wrote: »
    Hillary probably would have won more of the swing voters if the Democrats didn't focus so heavily on Trump's flaws instead of the benefits of her own policies. It's hard to see them making the same mistakes in 2020. Trump is making their campaign easy for them. A platform of some change will be easy enough for them to pull off, particularly now with this climate change nonsense from Trump.

It would be a catastrophe if they don't start reversing the trend of losing ground to the GOP and start making decent gains in the mid-terms.

So we have to hope Don stays the course and is not replaced by his V/P who probably make a better fist of the job with a lot less bad press. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,175 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

listermint wrote: »
    Trump has zero percent hope of being re-elected.

You can take that one to the bank.

That is a dangerous mindset, one that I had the first time round. Simply could not fathom how that man could have got elected, I was wrong as were a lot of us.

I remember mocking the Republicans for throwing an election basically as any other realistic candidate would surely have beaten a poor candidate in Clinton. I would not be so quick to say he could not win re election.

I don't think he will see out his full term though so hopefully it won't actually come to it, the Democrats really need to use this time though to accept that they are deeply flawed right now and rightly or wrongly are seen as having lost touch with the common man, incredibly as the Republican party has never done anything other then pay lip service to the down trodden (at times not even that!) while looking after the elite interests (Dems do so also, but don't do the PR so well)

Trump has laid down a blueprint and opened the door for a generation of Republican leaning men who are more polished then him but with the same rotten core, the Democrats need to be better at reaching out and connecting with parts of the country they have forgotten about and ignored as lost causes for too long.

It makes a difference in the long run, I remember Obama made a comment about going to a town hall somewhere that was overwhelmingly Republican, it was a not so subtle dig at Clinton in my opinion, he said that he went there not because he thought he could win but because by going there, by listening, by engaging, he turned a 50 point defeat into a 20 point defeat, they all add up. Some places you just need to close the gaps.

If you write off entire states as lost causes there will be reactions obviously, there are many lessons to be taken away from that election, and though its fun to pat ourselves on the back at how much better we are/smarter we are/more informed we are, then so much of the population, we all inhabit the same planet and in Americans case, it is still a very divided country and when you have one candidate run on divisive issues, with the intent to further widen the chasm in society the only way to counter act and defeat that person is inclusion, not ignoring the bad, or pretending there are no issues, but at the very least showing up.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 maizes

trump proved right again about london

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,175 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

maizes wrote: »

Really, you know how pathetic a post that was, and yet you did it anyway.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 21,443 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The odds are, they were UK citizens. DT had to use it to make his own point, which had no grounds anyway. Regurgitating, what his friends in UKIP say.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Far more people are murdered in the US than any amount of European terrorism could hope to achieve.
    It's what makes the anti-immigration, pro-gun lobby position of the Republicans so utterly transparent.

I don't even necessarily agree with gun-control, or at least not all of it, but it's quite obvious they don't give even the slightest particle of a **** about the safety of their citizens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

maizes wrote: »

Right about what?

And yet he remains deafeningly silent about the rising number of far right terrorist attacks in his own country.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Gbear wrote: »
    Far more people are murdered in the US than any amount of European terrorism could hope to achieve.
    It's what makes the anti-immigration, pro-gun lobby position of the Republicans so utterly transparent.

I don't even necessarily agree with gun-control, or at least not all of it, but it's quite obvious they don't give even the slightest particle of a **** about the safety of their citizens.

Yeah it's makes no sense. 34,000 gun deaths in America last year but are guns a problem? No sir. Muslims though? We gotta get them outta here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 vrt12

The difference is Americans have the right to bear arms under the constitution. This is entirely different to immigrants or children of immigrants blowing people up in the name of Allah and waging war on the American way of life. You enter a country, you should respect their laws, culture and way of life and should also raise your children to do so. What we have, more so in the UK, is immigrants who make no effort to integrate with society and in fact the complete opposite, they actively seek to destroy it and raise their children to hate the society they chose to bring them to.

vrt12 wrote: »
    The difference is Americans have the right to bear arms under the constitution. This is entirely different to immigrants or children of immigrants blowing people up in the name of Allah and waging war on the American way of life. You enter a country, you should respect their laws, culture and way of life and should also raise your children to do so. What we have, more so in the UK, is immigrants who make no effort to integrate with society and in fact the complete opposite, they actively seek to destroy it and raise their children to hate the society they chose to bring them to.
    The right to bare arms is the second amendment of the US Constitution. Want to guess what the first is?

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof."

Billy86 wrote: »
    The right to bare arms is the second amendment of the US Constitution. Want to guess what the first is?

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof."
    You're suggesting its ok to murder people in the name of religion.

Or more accurately you're suggesting these people are protected by the constitution to preach and practice a religion that actively seeks to destroy modern society. Not only physically through acts of terrorism but also philosophically.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,730 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Or more accurately you're suggesting these people are protected by the constitution to preach and practice a religion that actively seeks to destroy modern society. Not only physically through acts of terrorism but also philosophically.

Mod: This was not the point that was made. Please refrain from posting in this manner.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭B_Wayne

I would also say that if one wishes to breach the constitutional right to practise your faith, you are not only disrespecting US culture. You are breaching human rights in an entirely regressive fashion.

If that's what you take from what I posted then you by definition think the Constitution gives people the right to shoot whoever they want as they please.

In short: no, it very clearly wasn't. The US Constitution protects religious practice just as is protects the right to have guns.

I'll reiterate my point again as clearly you do not get it. Report me to mods as much as you like. The constitution does not protect terrorist and murderers or those who preach and practice religions which actively seek to destroy modern society. As for the right to bear arms. How far do you think a terrorist would get going on a rampage down a U.S street? They'd be dead before anyone has even dialled 911. That is the right to bear arms and tovdefend yourself, your family and society.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,023 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Trump put his foot in his mouth again calling again for his travel ban in the wake of the London attack

Bearing in mind there is not any intelligence as to what the nationality of the perpetrators was. Surely if his ban wasn't a Muslim Ban he would have waited to ensure those attackers came from one of the countries on his proposed list. Whoops.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.buzzfeed.com/amphtml/salvadorhernandez/president-trump-called-his-executive-order-a-travel-ban

I'll reiterate my point again as clearly you do not get it. Report me to mods as much as you like. The constitution does not protect terrorist and murderers or those who preach and practice religions which actively seek to destroy modern society. As for the right to bear arms. How far do you think a terrorist would get going on a rampage down a U.S street? They'd be dead before anyone has even dialled 911. That is the right to bear arms and tovdefend yourself, your family and society.
    The US constitution defends the right to freedom of religion bare arms, just as it defends the right to bare arms. It does not defend Islamist extremist terrorist, just as it does not defend mass shootings. If you can't tell the difference, nothing more needs to be said.

As for your second part, it would not defend an Islamist extremist shooting innocent people any more or any less than it would defend a white supremacist shooting innocent people, or any more or any less a bank robber shooting innocent people, or any more or any less someone who had a mental breakdown or mental health issues. Like I said, very straight forward stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,443 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Since Trump likes television, perhaps he should tune in to One Love Manchester.

The US constitution defends the right to freedom of religion bare arms, just as it defends the right to bare arms. It does not defend Islamist extremist terrorist, just as it does not defend mass shootings. If you can't tell the difference, nothing more needs to be said.

As for your second part, it would not defend an Islamist extremist shooting innocent people any more or any less than it would defend a white supremacist shooting innocent people, or any more or any less a bank robber shooting innocent people, or any more or any less someone who had a mental breakdown or mental health issues. Like I said, very straight forward stuff.

Islamist "extremist". I'm sorry that does cut it anymore. The game is up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Population of Britain: 65 million
    Population of USA: 321 million
    USA population exceeds UK by a factor of 5

Homicides by guns in Britain 2014: 60
    Homicides by guns in USA 2014: 8124
    USA homicides by guns exceeds that of UK by a factor of 135

Obviously, guns are great for society.

Islamist "extremist". I'm sorry that does cut it anymore. The game is up.
    To clear this up, are you trying to say all Muslims are Islamist extremists?

• Advertisement

To clear this up, are you trying to say all Muslims are Islamist extremists?

No I'm saying all Islamic terrorists are Muslims.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement