Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

President 'The Donald' Trump and Surprising Consequences - Mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Leroy42 wrote: »
    It was an astounding session all right. I always though the committees had more power than to let that happen. To refuse to answer, based on nothing more than a personal opinion is unbelievable.

But as pointed out, the key question was why they didn't simply say no, if that was the truth. If a cop asks you if you robbed the store you don't say that it is inappropriate to answer, you say no (if thats true!). Why would they be hedging their bets?
    Well as Overheal says, that could mean perjury. They are under oath. They seemed open to saying more in closed session, so the conclusion to draw from that is that it would then be up to the committee to publish whatever they say.

Almost Bart Simpsonesque: "It wasn't me..."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

It was an astounding session all right. I always though the committees had more power than to let that happen. To refuse to answer, based on nothing more than a personal opinion is unbelievable.

But as pointed out, the key question was why they didn't simply say no, if that was the truth. If a cop asks you if you robbed the store you don't say that it is inappropriate to answer, you say no (if thats true!). Why would they be hedging their bets?

Waiting for someone to break the omerta rule so they will only be corroborating evidence and not providing it "It wasn't me Don".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I think they could have been held in contempt but I think they got away with those answers because the committee is controlled by the republicans and they won't do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Comey talking about the "nature of the person" (Trump) - "I was worried he might lie"

Fairly damning

• Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Livestream here for anyone interested:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,938 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

To use a cricket reference. If yesterday was a pair of batsmen trying to protect their stumps, today is a batmans hitting for boundaries.

Have they sedated Trump? No sign of life out of him on Twitter so far...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

He's gone to Ohio, which probably was planned so he'd be kept busy. It'll only be a delay anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

He's making a speech somewhere iirc.

Not clear when he's free to start tweeting, but afaik, not for a while yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Comey testifies that claims the FBI was in disarray were lies. Whaddya think of that Donald?

• Advertisement

He's making a speech somewhere iirc.

Not clear when he's free to start tweeting, but afaik, not for a while yet.

I think he's hijacked Juniors account, he's livetweeting at a rate of knots: https://twitter.com/DonaldJTrumpJr

I think he's hijacked Juniors account, he's livetweeting at a rate of knots: https://twitter.com/DonaldJTrumpJr

Who gives a sh1t what an unelected little rich kid has to say.

Lolling at JC's "lordy, I hope there are tapes of the conversation". Plus the "I made the memo unclassified so it could be shared with members of the investigation team". Cant see the FBI pulling some "it is classified" stunt to the committees, given that they have asked for the memos.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭SkepticQuark

Who gives a sh1t what an unelected little rich kid has to say.

Trump's supporters do sadly.

Comey perceived Trump's request to drop the Flynn investigation as an order. Who to believe? Trump or Comey?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Comey perceived Trump's request to drop the Flynn investigation as an order. Who to believe? Trump or Comey?

Comey. Why would you believe Trump? When has he showed himself to be anything but a liar?

Lots of people trying to discredit it all yesterday as soon as he released his statement. It's not a golden bullet but it's definitely a hit to the shoulder. Personally, I was waiting for this hearing before believing any of the memos or anything. So sad that the Republicans are already spinning it as "nothing to see here! Move along!"

I like the latest Senator's wording in thanking him for the way he came to the committee....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Comey is really showing how dirty the swamp really is. The donald has a lot to clean up and i believe he will for the most part

Esp as Don was careful to make sure it was a "one on one" meeting after he specifically instructed any possible witnesses [incl his AG] to what was to come out of the room. That smells of legal advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,627 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

aloyisious wrote: »
    Esp as Don was careful to make sure it was a "one on one" meeting after he specifically instructed any possible witnesses [incl his AG] to what was to come out of the room. That smells of legal advice.

But Don has tapes so he will clear it all up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

ricero wrote: »
    Comey is really showing how dirty the swamp really is. The donald has a lot to clean up and i believe he will for the most part

Eh, he brought most of that swamp with him.

roddy15 wrote: »
    Lots of people trying to discredit it all yesterday as soon as he released his statement. It's not a golden bullet but it's definitely a hit to the shoulder. Personally, I was waiting for this hearing before believing any of the memos or anything. So sad that the Republicans are already spinning it as "nothing to see here! Move along!"

Which I just can't understand is why Republicans think this is going to do their party any good. They aren't getting much of their legislation through, approval ratings are getting lower and in the medium-term trust in the party is sinking as well. I heard somewhere that they will move once approval ratings among Republican voters fall below 50% but I would have thought permanent damage will be done by then.

ricero wrote: »

Why? Tell me what Trump has DONE so far that makes you think he is such a stand-up guy. I don't want to hear about the promises or the bad stuff anyone else did I just want to understand your viewpoint and where it stems from.

Lux23 wrote: »
    Comey. Why would you believe Trump? When has he showed himself to be anything but a liar?

I was being facetious. Anyway, Comey has called Trump a liar twice now. And I believe Comey on that. Not good when the ex-Head of the FBI calls you a liar under oath.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Eh, he brought most of that swamp with him.

Honestly, don't even bother responding. Pointless, they'll never respond with any sort of logic.

Sen. Roy Blunt is so ****ing dumb completely missing the real issue and going after Comey for making the memo about Flynn get out into the public. It's like Democrats whining about the DNC leaks, the content matters now stop whining about how your President's behaviour was exposed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

I love how the Republican line of questioning went. "Why did you give a heads up to the media? They're all fake! Oh I think what you said to the media was classified, you look kinda like Snowden to me right now, leaking classified info to the fake media."

They really are going all in when it comes to Trump. They seem very willing to spit on the American flag behind them so long as Trump demands it.

Jesus the Republicans are embarrassing themselves. Unbelievably, and I can't believe I'm saying this, Rubio seemed to be the one closest to fair.

• Advertisement

They're monitoring us: the "meddlesome priest" quote just popped up.

Jumping ahead of the Admin and the FBI, committee member suggesting a train of thought to JC. thinking of getting the unidentified law professor of handing over the W/H one-on-one meeting memo to the committee. It is unclassified and the prof has it courtesy of JC so if JC says OK to the Prof "please give it to the committee"that releases him from any client/lawyer obligation or Federal Secrecy Act troubles.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement