Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

President 'The Donald' Trump and Surprising Consequences - Mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

Overheal wrote:
    Please elaborate? What did Comey say that made you take umbrage to this post..

Hey stated (under oath) that he felt the need to document what was said in the meetings, because he felt that the President would lie about what was said, and that he didn't trust him.

It had nothing to do with the amount of times he had met Trump, which is what the person I quoted was implying. Nowhere did Comey suggest that he was making memos of the meetings due to the number of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,938 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

roddy15 wrote: »
    Arrested more like... The war on leakers is their deflection from any potential obstruction of justice. Great isn't it how they ranted and raved over how great the DNC leaks were and now when it's leaks about them it's all whinging.

well if they are going after the leakers then the White House is going to be fairly empty then as the White House has more leaks then the titanic had on April 15th 1912.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,938 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The GOP and the trump administration are circling the wagons here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Senator McCain still brought up Hillary Clinton on CNN. He seems to think the two things are linked.

It was weird to be honest. Think he might be gone past his sell-by date a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    It was weird to be honest. Think he might be gone past his sell-by date a bit.
    All is clearly explained in this tweet:

Or not :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,175 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Only getting to catch up now, McCain is painful........I'm considering fast forwarding through the rest of his waffle, the inability to grasp simple sentences and remember who people are is grating. Won't even bother commenting on the line of questioning, he surely thinks he has a point I suppose.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Only getting to catch up now, McCain is painful........I'm considering fast forwarding through the rest of his waffle, the inability to grasp simple sentences and remember who people are is grating. Won't even bother commenting on the line of questioning, he surely thinks he has a point I suppose.
    McCain isn't even a member of the committee. He gets to sit in on public sessions because of his membership of the armed sservices committee.

So he won't have been in the closed session.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Really Interested

I just watched it, I like McCain but that was just bloody weird I really mean far out weird. Maybe he knows what he was upto but I don't have an idea it was just muddled but not in a clever deflection way are the whole GOP getting mad cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,435 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Would it be that Donald is off tweet, because of instruction, by his personal lawyer?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

What Paul Ryan said on the private Don and Jim chat about Flynn is [IMO] tantamount to an admission that Don did say what Jim said he said. Paul Ryan "He's [Don] new at government,” the Wisconsin Republican said of Trump at his weekly press conference, which took place during Comey’s hearing at the Senate Intelligence Committee. “He’s learning as he goes.”

See more at: http://www.rollcall.com/news/politics/paul-ryan-defends-donald-trump-comey-testifies#sthash.VXx2KIQc.dpuf

• Advertisement

I'm not sure if it's appropriate here, but Comey had some great phrases.

"Like feeding seagulls at the beach" and "I've spoken to a lot of humans".

And of course "Lordy, I hope there are tapes".

Kind of surprised that Trump's lawyer is focusing on the leak. Comey was very careful to describe what he wrote as an "unclassified document". Not sure how they can turn that into some sort of classified document in those circumstances. Especially when the content of the conversation was how Flynn was a "good guy".

• Registered Users Posts: 14,175 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Water John wrote: »
    Would it be that Donald is off tweet, because of instruction, by his personal lawyer?

Earlier they had him busy with a speech etc, I'd imagine they have him sedated right now........2-3am will probably be interesting!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

He also said he really wished he had not gone to dinner with Trump and just stayed at home and had dinner with the wife. Got quite a good chuckle out of a very tense room.

The personal lawyer has to endear himself to Trump and them Trump's base. That is why they are chasing the 'leak' angle.
    Nobody, will go and challenge Comey, on integrety

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Great picture, imagine the pressure he's under not to misspeak in front of dozens of high ranking politicians and millions of people on TV as he's grilled? Where every word he utters is scrutinized to no end.

He did a fantastic job maintaining his composure.

Imagine Trump under the same circumstances? That would be a sh1tshow

09comey1-superJumbo-v2.jpg

Hazys wrote: »
    Great picture, imagine the pressure he's under not to misspeak in front of dozens of high ranking politicians and millions of people on TV as he's grilled? Where every word he utters is scrutinized to no end.

He did a fantastic job maintaining his composure.

Imagine Trump under the same circumstances? That would be a sh1tshow

He wouldn't last a minute before going on a long rant about the huge electoral college victory and how much he loves clean beautiful coal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Watched most of comey testimony.... Gripping insight and prob not enough to really damage trump. I found his comments on Russia's meddling fascinating. To hear it from such a trustworthy, authoritive and unhyperbolic person like Comey is powerful and frightening!

I can't Remember the last time I heard this kind of explosive information and not be questioning which parts were true.

And this is probably the most important statement to come out of the the entire hearing, besides the fact Comey confirmed Trump himself was never under investigation.

https://twitter.com/DanScavino/status/872843819988996096

• Registered Users Posts: 82,978 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I thought this was satire but nope, he said this for real

http://www.mediaite.com/online/mccain-blames-much-maligned-comey-hearing-performance-on-late-night-baseball-viewing/

“What I was trying to get at was whether Mr. Comey believes that any of his interactions with the President rise to the level of obstruction of justice. In the case of Secretary Clinton’s emails, Mr. Comey was willing to step beyond his role as an investigator and state his belief about what ‘no reasonable prosecutor’ would conclude about the evidence. I wanted Mr. Comey to apply the same approach to the key question surrounding his interactions with President Trump—whether or not the President’s conduct constitutes obstruction of justice. While I missed an opportunity in today’s hearing, I still believe this question is important, and I intend to submit it in writing to Mr. Comey for the record.”

https://twitter.com/SenJohnMcCain/status/872888708323823620

• Advertisement

And this is probably the most important statement to come out of the the entire hearing, besides the fact Comey confirmed Trump himself was never under investigation.

That's just more gaslighting....

The vast majority of Americans already understand that Russia didn't *hack the vote* (though new reports state they attempted it), that does NOT, somehow, make all the fake news from RT and Sputnik, multiple other outlets, social media trolls and bots, and the hack of the DNC any less of a risk to the democracy. These things had direct influence on the entire political cycle. This doesn't change anything at this point.

All it proves regarding Trump being investigated, is that the FBI wasn't investigating him. That doesn't include other intelligence agencies doing their own investigating, which when it comes to the Executive Branch, frankly, I would hope there is more than one potential entity to check and balance the Administration if it is at risk of foreign subterfuge.

Water John wrote: »
    The personal lawyer has to endear himself to Trump and them Trump's base. That is why they are chasing the 'leak' angle.
    Nobody, will go and challenge Comey, on integrety

Are they trying to besmirch him for 'leaking' the memo?

It would have come out today anyway, regardless. Nothing said was classified, and he was party to the conversation so wiretapping/record-keeping laws are on his side there. That's about as silly as people wanting WH staff jailed for treason for letting it be known to our enemies that Trump likes to have the biggest bowl of ice cream at the dinner table.

Comey, considering the past month he has had, performed admirably. Serving his country.

I'm a little concerned that your only focus here is whether or not the Russians were successful.

(a) I'm not sure that's something that could ever be convincingly proved or disproved, and
    (b) They will try again. Next time it could be in the other direction. Would you be as sanguine then?

Overheal wrote: »
    somehow, make all the fake news from RT and Sputnik

I'm not disagreeing with you, it needs to be investigated and I'm not disputing the fact that Russia interfered in the election, but what about all the fake news from publications like the New York Times that have pushed Trump and his administration to the point they're unable to properly do their job.

Here's an example of fake news from yesterday.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/336871-cnn-issues-correction-after-comey-statement-contradicts-reporting

" The CNN report said Comey was expected to dispute President Trump's claims that Comey said he was not under investigation on multiple occasions.

The report, titled “Comey expected to refute Trump," was based on unnamed sources and said Comey's conversations with the president "were much more nuanced," and that Trump drew the wrong conclusion.

The story was compiled by four CNN journalists, including Gloria Borger, Eric Lichtblau, Jake Tapper and Brian Rokus. "

The article that started this snowball effect over Trump's administration was posted by the NYT's that multiple people in Trumps campaign were in frequent communications with Russian intelligence officials, Comey refuted this, and quiet clearly stated that many of the reports based on anonymous intelligence sources were straight up false.

Put yourself in Trump's shoes for a second, if he's innocent, which I believe he is, imagine seeing these stories day in day out for months accusing you in subtle terms of being a Russian agent. It's totally unfair and when, imo, he calls them out for being fake news, he's not far off the mark.

As Comey said, the biggest issue is, they tried and moreso, will try again.
    The same is true for European countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,936 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I'm not disagreeing with you, it needs to be investigated and I'm not disputing the fact that Russia interfered in the election, but what about all the fake news from publications like the New York Times that have pushed Trump and his administration to the point they're unable to properly do their job.

Here's an example from of fake news from yesterday.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/336871-cnn-issues-correction-after-comey-statement-contradicts-reporting

" The CNN report said Comey was expected to dispute President Trump's claims that Comey said he was not under investigation on multiple occasions.

The report, titled “Comey expected to refute Trump," was based on unnamed sources and said Comey's conversations with the president "were much more nuanced," and that Trump drew the wrong conclusion.

The story was compiled by four CNN journalists, including Gloria Borger, Eric Lichtblau, Jake Tapper and Brian Rokus. "

The article that started this snowball effect over Trump's administration was posted by the NYT's that multiple people in Trumps campaign were in frequent communications with Russian intelligence officials, Comey refuted this, and quiet clearly stated that many of the reports based on anonymous intelligence sources were straight up false

Put yourself in Trump's shoes for a second, if he's innocent, which I believe he is, imagine seeing these stories day in day out for months accusing you in subtle terms of being a Russian agent. It's totally unfair and when, imo, he calls them out for being fake news, he's not far off the mark.

Comey said, Comey is not the be all and end all of the IC.

I am confident at this point in time that yes there was consistent and continued contact from many of his team with various russian agents.

Whats funny is despite the numerous reports on all of this you are still saying its not true.

You are fully aware of the Kushner meetings the flynn meetings the sessions meetings and there are many more.

Its not funny at this point that you are disregarding all of these out of hand with excuses.

and it doesnt wash.

And enough with the fake news im tired of that term its boring

listermint wrote: »

And enough with the fake news im tired of that term its boring

Who came up with the term fake news?

Here's an example of fake news from yesterday.

The article that started this snowball effect over Trump's administration was posted by the NYT's that multiple people in Trumps campaign were in frequent communications with Russian intelligence officials, Comey refuted this, and quiet clearly stated that many of the reports based on anonymous intelligence sources were straight up false.

I'll tell you what I can say to that,

This guy put up with this for nigh 5 years and this, still to this day, and got a lot accomplished without obsessing over it.

• Advertisement

Who came up with the term fake news?

Who came up with the wheel? Some people choose to run more people over with it than others... we don't ask who invented the cudgel.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement