Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

President 'The Donald' Trump and Surprising Consequences - Mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,936 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Who came up with the term fake news?

I have no idea, but i know who uses it all of the time.

Do you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

I'm not disagreeing with you, it needs to be investigated and I'm not disputing the fact that Russia interfered in the election, but what about all the fake news from publications like the New York Times that have pushed Trump and his administration to the point they're unable to properly do their job.

Here's an example of fake news from yesterday.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/336871-cnn-issues-correction-after-comey-statement-contradicts-reporting

" The CNN report said Comey was expected to dispute President Trump's claims that Comey said he was not under investigation on multiple occasions.

The report, titled “Comey expected to refute Trump," was based on unnamed sources and said Comey's conversations with the president "were much more nuanced," and that Trump drew the wrong conclusion.

The story was compiled by four CNN journalists, including Gloria Borger, Eric Lichtblau, Jake Tapper and Brian Rokus. "

The article that started this snowball effect over Trump's administration was posted by the NYT's that multiple people in Trumps campaign were in frequent communications with Russian intelligence officials, Comey refuted this, and quiet clearly stated that many of the reports based on anonymous intelligence sources were straight up false.

Put yourself in Trump's shoes for a second, if he's innocent, which I believe he is, imagine seeing these stories day in day out for months accusing you in subtle terms of being a Russian agent. It's totally unfair and when, imo, he calls them out for being fake news, he's not far off the mark.
    The problem is that he calls everything fake news. Whether it is or not. Speculation on what somebody will say or even on the result of a match is something that will be proven or disproven very soon. You can dismiss that for what it is and move on.

Things like misquoting the Mayor of London and calling the factual reporting of what he actually said fake news is what's causing him and the USA the most damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Overheal wrote: »
    I'll tell you what I can say to that,

Respected news corporation's are supposed to tell the raw truth when in fact it's opinion journalism pretending to some sort of heightened objectivity. Their supposed objectivity went out the window when Trump ran for President.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,978 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

He even called The Paris Agreement the So-Called Paris Agreement.

I mean, I don't want to sound alarmist, but it's crazy of a President to try and distort reality in - well any way - but in such an overt manner, its crazy. The slippery slope of that already exists, and people think Kim Jong Un is so divine he doesn't defecate...

He even called The Paris Agreement the So-Called Paris Agreement.

I mean, I don't want to sound alarmist, but it's crazy of a President to try and distort reality in - well any way - but in such an overt manner, its crazy. The slippery slope of that already exists, and people think Kim Jong Un is so divine he doesn't defecate...

So if he talks a lot of shíte, it's OK for journalists who the public rely on for accurate information to bend the truth for political reasons, is that your point?

• Advertisement

So if he talks a lot of shíte, it's OK for journalists who the public rely on for accurate news to do the same, is that your point?

its continually odd that you dont apply the same standards to the Presidential Office.

Can you explain in detail why Hank, because i have always wondered.

Genuinely.

Some real detail would be nice.

Respected news corporation's are supposed to tell the raw truth when in fact it's opinion journalism pretending to some sort of heightened objectivity. It all went out the window when Trump ran for President.
    It's unfortunate and there are multiple mothers to this child. But undeniably Trump helped make this monster, by being as direct and contentious with the media as he has been by - well, you already know all of it. It's a lot. Events were added to that chronicle multiple times on the daily between feuds with individual reporters, outlets, anchors, his "so-called" "low energy" "failing [news outlet]" "lying [person]", mocking people, degrading people, and otherwise just being a flaming demagogue.

It's unfortunate and there are multiple mothers to this child. But undeniably Trump helped make this monster, by being as direct and contentious with the media as he has been by - well, you already know all of it. It's a lot. Events were added to that chronicle multiple times on the daily between feuds with individual reporters, outlets, anchors, his "so-called" "low energy" "failing [news outlet]" "lying [person]", mocking people, degrading people, and otherwise just being a flaming demagogue.

I think that's an entirely fair statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 only a nightmare

trump supporters being maganaminous in victory

So if he talks a lot of shíte, it's OK for journalists who the public rely on for accurate information to bend the truth for political reasons, is that your point?

No, not at all.

I don't care about 2 scoops of ice cream. Couldn't care less. But if that's what you want to report on, you do you, as long as it's the truth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

I'm not disagreeing with you, it needs to be investigated and I'm not disputing the fact that Russia interfered in the election, but what about all the fake news from publications like the New York Times that have pushed Trump and his administration to the point they're unable to properly do their job.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/336871-cnn-issues-correction-after-comey-statement-contradicts-reporting

" The CNN report said Comey was expected to dispute President Trump's claims that Comey said he was not under investigation on multiple occasions.

The report, titled “Comey expected to refute Trump," was based on unnamed sources and said Comey's conversations with the president "were much more nuanced," and that Trump drew the wrong conclusion.

The story was compiled by four CNN journalists, including Gloria Borger, Eric Lichtblau, Jake Tapper and Brian Rokus. "

The article that started this snowball effect over Trump's administration was posted by the NYT's that multiple people in Trumps campaign were in frequent communications with Russian intelligence officials, Comey refuted this, and quiet clearly stated that many of the reports based on anonymous intelligence sources were straight up false.

Put yourself in Trump's shoes for a second, if he's innocent, which I believe he is, imagine seeing these stories day in day out for months accusing you in subtle terms of being a Russian agent. It's totally unfair and when, imo, he calls them out for being fake news, he's not far off the mark.

Don apparently believed all the NYT stories were fake and he'd been assured by Jim Comey that he wasn't under investigation from the start, as it were. Don most assuredly would know the truth of his statements and shouldn't have been bothered in the slightest by the fake news stories. The fact that he was must carry some weight, unless his worry was due to paranoia.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Respected news corporation's are supposed to tell the raw truth when in fact it's opinion journalism pretending to some sort of heightened objectivity. Their supposed objectivity went out the window when Trump ran for President.

Sorry Hank, but let's be honest here, no news network anywhere is neutral.

Politicans are supposed to care about the people, but that doesn't happen.

Chefs aren't supposed to pick their noses, but you can be damn sure a lot of them do.

nelly the elefant packed her trump and said goodbye to the circus,

off she went with a trumpity trump, trump trump trump

nelly the elefant packed her trump and said goodbye to the circus,

off she went with a trumpity trump, trump trump trump

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭SeamusFX

Don't forget, Comey may hate Trump, but he's still a Republican. I find it quite ironic to hear the GOP nutjobs claiming that the NY Times and CNN are fake news, when they all feed on a diet of Breitbart and Fox News. Let me tell you, if the NY Times and CNN are fake news, then Breitbart and fox News are printed in an asylum in hell..

aloyisious wrote: »
    Don most assuredly would know the truth of his statements and shouldn't have been bothered in the slightest by the fake news stories. The fact that he was must carry some weight, unless his worry was due to paranoia.

Don't think that's true at all. Public opinion counts for everything in Politics because of votes, if media organisations with 10's of millions of followers were printing false stories to push a narrative about me I wouldn't be happy either.

Put yourself in Trump's shoes for a second, if he's innocent, which I believe he is......

That's hilarious!! How could anyone Truly believe Trump is innocent? Innocent of what? The man has so many lies, issues, flip-flops and holes, he's like a piece of Swiss cheese. The only thing Trump is innocent of is not lying!

Don't think that's true at all. Public opinion counts for everything in Politics because of votes, if media organisations with 10's of millions of followers were printing false stories to push a narrative about me I wouldn't be happy either.

Any details on my question as to why you dont hold the office of the president to the same standards that you are attacking private news organisations and entertainment channels.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Sorry Hank, but let's be honest here, no news network anywhere is neutral.
    listermint wrote: »
    Any details on my question as to why you dont hold the office of the president to the same standards that you are attacking private news organisations and entertainment channels.

See below.

I think this is a totally different type of scenario compared to general news reporting. Imo, it's been a collaborated effort to get him out of office and push the narrative he's not a legitimate President.

https://www.publicintegrity.org/2016/10/17/20330/journalists-shower-hillary-clinton-campaign-cash

In all, people identified in federal campaign finance filings as journalists, reporters, news editors or television news anchors — as well as other donors known to be working in journalism — have combined to give more than $396,000 to the presidential campaigns of Clinton and Trump, according to a Center for Public Integrity analysis.

Nearly all of that money — more than 96 percent — has benefited Clinton: About 430 people who work in journalism have, through August, combined to give about $382,000 to the Democratic nominee, the Center for Public Integrity’s analysis indicates.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

See below.

I think this is a totally different type of scenario compared to general news reporting. Imo, it's been a collaborated effort to get him out of office and push the narrative he's not a legitimate President.

https://www.publicintegrity.org/2016/10/17/20330/journalists-shower-hillary-clinton-campaign-cash

In all, people identified in federal campaign finance filings as journalists, reporters, news editors or television news anchors — as well as other donors known to be working in journalism — have combined to give more than $396,000 to the presidential campaigns of Clinton and Trump, according to a Center for Public Integrity analysis.

Nearly all of that money — more than 96 percent — has benefited Clinton: About 430 people who work in journalism have, through August, combined to give about $382,000 to the Democratic nominee, the Center for Public Integrity’s analysis indicates.
    Yes. The press don't like Trump. I think everyone gets that. I think there's a good reason for it too.

• Advertisement

SeamusFX wrote: »
    That's hilarious!! How could anyone Truly believe Trump is innocent? Innocent of what? The man has so many lies, issues, flip-flops and holes, he's like a piece of Swiss cheese. The only thing Trump is innocent of is not lying!

Innocent of collusion, I thought that would have been fairly obvious.

Innocent of collusion, I thought that would have been fairly obvious.

Come on Hank, you really should pay attention. Trump always has been and even as president is still one big Liar. The man has been lying all his life, there are numerous accounts of him on video taping saying one thing and later he denies it, how could an undoctored video of him be fake news? This man is truly too unfit to be President! As far as collusion, Trump hasn't yet been proven innocent at all. When Comey was probed about the Russian interference he responded, he couldn't discuss it in the open setting of the hearing. So your buddy Trump is far from innocent!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Christy42

See below.

So? They support Clinton- they can have opinions and it is pretty tough to get an even divide unless you ask people on the way in. Unbiased reporting is not treating Trump as the equal to Obama. It is reporting the facts. I agree that they do go over the top at times but in general the left wing media is leagues ahead of the right wing media in terms of fairness. Now that is a low bar and they should strive for better but still it seems ridiculous to focus complaints there. A large part of Trump's problem is not that the media is biased, it is that real world facts are biased against him.

If someone wants to complain about the media lying they should do it from a position of occasionally telling the truth once in a while (not even all the time, just don't be orders of magitude worse). Trump complaoning about lies is ridiculous. This is like North Korea complaining that the US electoral system is not democratic enough. I mean sure there is a point there but I mean come on- clean up your own garden first.

Christy42 wrote: »
    I agree that they do go over the top at times but in general the left wing media is leagues ahead of the right wing media in terms of fairness.

Purely an opinion.

Purely an opinion.

Factually easily to prove from data sets of truthful articles versus other drivel opinion pieces.

rte's washington corespondent kathrina perri is 100 % pro-trump

listermint wrote: »
    Factually easily to prove from data sets of truthful articles versus other drivel opinion pieces.

I've only followed the media in the US since early summer of last year, and I can say without hesitating it was incredibly biased towards one candidate. You might find it hard to believe I had never heard of Trump before then, and had zero knowledge about Hillary Clinton. I seen with my own eyes what they were doing, even without the Wikileaks dumps confirming what was going on behind the scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

See below.

That's way less than 1/2 a million dollars around the US media in total, almost peanuts compared to the following from Fortune.

According to Fortune, his campaign spent around 94 million dollars in the final week push for the W/H while HC's campaign spent almost 132 Million dollars in the final weeks of her campaign.

Another way of looking at media bias would also include the benefit of free advertising [due to news stories etc] on how the campaign was going - no news is bad news, so to speak, as people biased towards a preferred candidate [or the candidate least likely to damage one's desires] would get to hear what they wanted to hear and shut their ears to bad news.

But that now is a moot point, as the people have spoken. It's now on to the next elections now and the fight to stop the rot caused by Don & the GOP.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,938 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Hank, what have any news organisation said about trump that is demonstrably false ? Donald trump has not helped himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,938 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I've only followed the media in the US since early summer of last year, and I can say without hesitating it was incredibly biased towards one candidate. You might find it hard to believe I had never heard of Trump before then, and had zero knowledge about Hillary Clinton. I seen with my own eyes what they were doing, even without the Wikileaks dumps confirming what was going on behind the scenes.

Hillary Clinton being that candidate I assume ? How did that work out hank ? Who now occupies 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement