Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

President 'The Donald' Trump and Surprising Consequences - Mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

For Trump’s supporters, any news reports that his first weeks as president have been rocky, unpresidential or worse have hardly mattered. There is virtually no regret.
    Not that surprising. We've seen it on this very thread: the desperate need to pretend that this presidency is anything other than an unmitigated catastrophe, or that all its problems are caused by the nasty media refusing to ignore what an utterly disastrous president Trump has unsurprisingly turned out to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Hmmm. The date of the article is March 22nd and the research is from late February. Almost four months. Too much has happened since then for that stat to mean anything.

Edit: Fair enough.

I think this ABC poll is more recent but can't be sure on phone, 96%. Missing month of May.

http://www.langerresearch.com/wp-content/uploads/1186a1Trump100Days.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Edit: Fair enough.

I think this ABC poll is more recent but can't be sure on phone, 96%. Missing month of May.

http://www.langerresearch.com/wp-content/uploads/1186a1Trump100Days.pdf
    It's April 22nd. Lot has come out since. Also, much of the research in that article is actually very negative towards Trump. As an aside, the name 'Langer Research' doesn't inspire much confidence

As an aside, the name 'Langer Research' doesn't inspire much confidence

:pac:

Anyhow, it's the group ABC uses.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/president-trump-100-days-honeymoon-regrets-poll/story?id=46943338

Don't see any polls more recent than that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Hmmm. The date of the article is March 22nd and the research is from late February. Almost four months. Too much has happened since then for that stat to mean anything.

Are you suggesting that Hank would try to deceive?

Surely not.

Anyway, about Hillary. Since you brought her up. Do you think she would have stirred the pot with Qatar? Actually nevermind. I'm sure Trump's doing fine with that country and that world leaders don't see him for the idiot that he is.

In any case, for posterity, how long do you think he'll be president?

• Advertisement

Are you suggesting that Hank would try to deceive?

Surely not.

Anyway, about Hillary. Since you brought her up. Do you think she would have stirred the pot with Qatar? Actually nevermind. I'm sure Trump's doing fine with that country and that world leaders don't see him for the idiot that he is.

Cheap shot, I posted another poll.

Perhaps he should funnel hidden money from Qatar to smooth things over instead? Think you're snidely attempting to shovel the entire blame on those who didn't create the problems.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-foundation-idUSKBN12Z2SL

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Cheap shot, I posted another poll.

Perhaps he should funnel hidden money from Qatar to smooth things over instead? Think you're snidely attempting to shovel the entire blame on those who didn't create the problems.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-foundation-idUSKBN12Z2SL

Is this a "But Hillary"? Tell me, what do you admire about Trump? You've spent a lot of time giving out about Hillary but you seem to have your mouth somewhat holstered regarding what you like about Trump.
    What do you think he's doing well?

EDIT That poll is pretty damned bad. Did you think nobody would look? I'd post but it's a big image.

Is this a "But Hillary"? Tell me, what do you admire about Trump? You've spent a lot of time giving out about Hillary but you seem to have your mouth somewhat holstered regarding what you like about Trump.
    What do you think he's doing well?

EDIT That poll is pretty damned bad. Did you think nobody would look? I'd post but it's a big image.

The poll may be bad but it clearly states 96% of his original voters would still vote for him which goes along with what I said.

What do I like about Trump? Fed up with PC culture and inability of politicians to draw light to problems associated with weak immigration laws, mainly social and security wise, something which has the potential of negatively impacting Ireland like it has in the UK and other European Countries. HRC represented the opposite of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

In other news, in case you were wondering why there'll never be a Trump impeachment while the tGOP run things:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/bank-regulation-choice-act-house-vote_us_5939af49e4b0c5a35c9d91d8?ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009

"While much of the political world was watching the fallout from former FBI Director James Comey’s Senate testimony Thursday, House Republicans were jamming through a bill that would largely gut the financial regulations in Dodd-Frank, the landmark banking legislation passed in 2010 after the worst financial crisis since the Great Depression."

and, the Senate's moving closer on ACA repeal, with a program that (haven't seen it yet) is likely largely the same as what passed the House.

So... as long as the tGOP congress have the rubber stamp in the WH, Trump stays.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭SeamusFX

I'd bet a decent amount it hasn't changed. I think people underestimate his base.

That's one thing you've said that I agree with. As terrible as this president has been, his base will follow him to hell.. As Trump said, he could shoot someone in Times Square and they'd still vote for him. What you and his base are missing is this is no longer a competition between a perceived crooked Hillary and a truly crooked Trump, this is simply is the president doing a god job. Do you not realise if Trump is impeached, the far more experienced and capable Hillary doesn't become president, but it would be Pence. As terrible as a Pence presidency would be, considering this is a man who believes in shock therapy for gays and calls his wife mommy, I'd take him over Trump in a heartbeat.

• Advertisement

SeamusFX wrote: »
    considering this is a man who believes in shock therapy for gays and calls his wife mommy, I'd take him over Trump in a heartbeat.

Where'd you read that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭B_Wayne

The poll may be bad but it clearly states 96% of his original voters would still vote for him which goes along with what I said.

What do I like about Trump? Fed up with PC culture and inability of politicians to draw light to problems associated with weak immigration laws, mainly social and security wise, something which has the potential of negatively impacting Ireland like it has in the UK and other European Countries. HRC represented the opposite of that.
    HRC is not president. You claim the media is responsible for Donald not doing his job. The man has literally made ridiculous statements from day one while taking a golfing trip every weekend. He doesn't know how to do the job. The media holds no role in his incompetence.

The testimony by Comey yesterday was damning, it's nothing we didn't know in many respects however Comey clearly is concerned about Trump's capacity to be president.

You seem genuinely desperate to claim that he is competent at all costs. Every week the man does something that further illustrates his incompetence. The Russia investigation is far from over now. He created that situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭Christy42

Where'd you read that?

It is largely unclear as to whether he supports conversion therapy (though incredibly badly phrased if not). I have not seen anything that says he supports using electric shocks for this though but I find it hard to believe the safe sex interpretation of that statement

http://www.snopes.com/mike-pence-supported-gay-conversion-therapy/

The mother thing seems to come from
    http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/features/the-radical-crusade-of-mike-pence-w462223

Note the article was written long before any potential VP pick and I have no seen it challenged however I am unsure of the sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭SeamusFX

Where'd you read that?

Yes, Pence has backed Conversion Therapy and one of the tools of this, is shock therapy. Oh and maybe I got the other part wrong, he doesn't call his wife Mommy, only Mother, that's so normal!! I guess I'm fake news, yet all the True stories about Trump not paying legitimate bills to small businesses and many instances where he has been caught lying and contradicting himself on videotape is OK!

Hank are you even American, do you live in America and can you even vote in US elections?

B_Wayne wrote: »
    The testimony by Comey yesterday was damning, it's nothing we didn't know in many respects however Comey clearly is concerned about Trump's capacity to be president.

Hilarious, Comey hung himself and proceedings have begun against him for leaking.

Here's what came out of the hearing

1- Trump acted inappropriately around Comey but nothing to the extent that will cause him actual trouble. "I hope" Flynn etc.
    2- AG Lynch acted in a corrupt manner and successfully pressured Comey
    3- Comey leaked to the media
    4- Comey lied under oath about his reasoning for leaking, his leak and the story was a day before Trumps tweet
    5- Bombshell NYC story about Trump campaign/Russian Intel was false
    6- Trump himself not under investigation
    7- Trump encouraged Russia investigation and encouraged even fringe associates be investigated
    8- Comey called himself weak and a coward
    9- Flynn not central to Russian investigation
    10-"Many, many" News reports based on Intel totally false
    11- Was asked - Has Trump or anyone in Justice department directed him to stop Russian investigation, he answered No.

Take off your blinkers. Trump being a meany to Comey isn't going go anywhere.

Hilarious, Comey hung himself and proceedings have begun against him for leaking.

Here's what came out of the hearing

1- Trump acted inappropriately around Comey but nothing to the extent that will cause him actual trouble. "I hope" Flynn etc.
    2- AG Lynch acted in a corrupt manner and successfully pressured Comey
    3- Comey leaked to the media
    4- Comey lied under oath about his reasoning for leaking, his leak and the story was a day before Trumps tweet
    5- Bombshell NYC story about Trump campaign/Russian Intel was false
    6- Trump himself not under investigation
    7- Trump encouraged Russia investigation and encouraged even fringe associates be investigated
    8- Comey called himself weak and a coward
    9- Flynn not central to Russian investigation
    10-"Many, many" News reports based on Intel totally false
    11- Was asked - Has Trump or anyone in Justice department directed him to stop Russian investigation, he answered No.

Take off your blinkers. Trump being a meany to Comey isn't going go anywhere.

Oh good. If I say "I hope " before asking someone to do something horrifically corrupt I can get away with it. Good to know.

Also interesting that Trump wanted a leak about some of the conversations (that Trump was not under personal investigation at the time) but not others. He really should make his mind up on these things.

Christy42 wrote: »
    Oh good. If I say "I hope " before asking someone to do something horrifically corrupt I can get away with it. Good to know.

If that's what people are clinging to I feel bad for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Christy42 wrote: »
    in general the left wing media is leagues ahead of the right wing media
    Left wing media doesn't exist outside of a few niche publications/outlets that almost nobody reads.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I think my irony meter just broke.

• Advertisement

How do you mean clinging to? Look how badly you have to twist that entire hearing. A man uses flowery language to ask for an inappropriate failure and you decide it is completely cool.

Granted it was not a knock out blow. The serious questions went unanswered.

I am also curious as to why Comey leaking is a bad thing in your books? Surely everyone having all the knowledge is a good thing right?

We do have the ex head of the FBI declaring the president entirely untrustworthy but we knew that as is.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    I think my irony meter just broke.

Hearing that for a long time now, what will it take before you realise you've all been duped.

Hearing that for a long time now, what will it take before you realise you've all been duped.
    I see. Everyone except yourself is out of step.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

So, the A.V. Club ran a copy edit of Marc Kasowitz's (Trump's Lawyer) letter....

http://www.avclub.com/article/v-club-copy-edited-predisent-trumps-lawyer-and-res-256530

Hard to imagine that a lawyer wrote that. Then you remember who he's representing and it makes perfect sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Did you know that there's plenty of US legal precedent for interpreting 'I hope' -type remarks as threats/attempts at obstruction of justice?

https://twitter.com/adamliptak/status/872835418194157568

https://twitter.com/victoriakwan_/status/872852857132916736

No need to feel bad Hank :)

This thread might as well be called "Come bash Trump, those who don't conform not welcome"

No, you're very welcome, Hank. It wouldn't be much of a discussion if everybody had the same opinion, now, would it?

It's typically Trumpian to pretend that anyone who disagrees with you is somehow victimising or excluding you, though. Do Trumpists actually feel this, or is it just a pose?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Have they?

An unclassified recording of a meeting in writing leaked to the media is not a breach of the law. Comey is an experienced lawyer, you'd expect him to know what he can and cannot do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

This thread might as well be called "Come bash Trump, those who don't conform not welcome"
    No, it's just clear that anybody left defending Trump is a family member, exists in a right wing media bubble, or just gets off on being contrarian. Hence why we never really see Trump fans defending the facts of what he stands accused of.

• Advertisement

B0jangles wrote: »

No need to feel bad Hank :)

Regardless of their interpretation and opinion, legal experts cited the contrary on the networks all day. Comey made it perfectly clear Trump encouraged the investigation and the investigation into fringe parties, and even if he never did that, there still wouldn't be a case.

I'll bet a friendly 50e charity bet if anyone actually believes there will be obstruction of justice charges based on today's hearing. More if you want.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement