Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

President 'The Donald' Trump and Surprising Consequences - Mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭sameoldname

Amerika wrote: »
    Haven't we now experienced 15 years with no warming?

Are you asking me to prove that point for you? Show me where scientists are saying that global temperatures have stayed static for 15 years and I'll debate with you.

I have over 20 acres that I keep wooded and in a natural state. It converts co2 into oxygen to sustain thousands of people. What are you doing?

A 65 year old forest absorbs 1.6 tonnes of co2 per acre every year. The average co2 output per person in the US in 2013 was 16.4 tonnes. So your 20 acres gets you 2 people, not thousands.

I have 16 acres of grassland. Owning that does practically nothing compared to the fact that I generally work from home and when I have to travel to the office I use the bus. Do I get a pass because of that?

War and starvation will happen because of overpopulation. God has nothing to do with it. It's man's doing.

Your tax dollars have paid for a good few wars over the years and your gonna be paying even more of your taxes into your military under Trump. Why not defund the DoD?

The best way of reducing birth rates and thus reducing overpopulation is wealth. The richer a nation is, the less kids they have. Trumps stated policies will have the opposite effect by reducing trade with poorer nations. His supporters don't seem to care about that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭eire4

Harika wrote: »
    I think this falls under "Alternative Fact" https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/3-days-into-trumps-presidency-45-percent-of-americans-disapprove-of-his-performance/ Three Days Into Trump’s Presidency, 45 Percent Of Americans Approve Of His Performance, but hey it is up to earlier!

Funny I was just thinking the same myself when I read that post. As an aside sales of George Orwell's 1984 have been surging on Amazon up to number 5 this week since Conway defending Spicers lies at his first press conference with her already infamous "alternative facts".

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Remember, we have always been at war with CNN

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

So please tell me then what Trump's executive order to reinstate The Mexico City Policy does.
    It removes US funding from organisations that provide abortion services with non-US funding.

Think about that for a second: it's a policy that says if you provide abortion services, even though we're not paying for them, we will refuse to provide funding for HIV prevention and treatment; for mammograms; for cervical cancer screening; for birth control...

In short, it's a policy that says we won't give you money unless we get to dictate what you do with the money that other people give you. It's a policy that holds women's health to ransom over abortion.

No, we haven't. Despite what Trump and Conway would have you believe, you don't get to invent your own facts. In fact, we've had three straight years of the hottest year on record - which everyone knows. Everyone, that is, with the apparent exception of people who have bought into the theory that continually lying about something will magically make it true.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

I'm not familiar with what you are referencing. But if I understand somewhat of what you're saying, I have to wonder why are WE paying for your flood defense measures?
    That's a nice reversal of the situation.

It could be properly phrased as "Why are we paying for flood defense measures that are necessary due to your greenhouse gas emissions?"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

Your tax dollars have paid for a good few wars over the years and your gonna be paying even more of your taxes into your military under Trump. Why not defund the DoD?

The best way of reducing birth rates and thus reducing overpopulation is wealth. The richer a nation is, the less kids they have. Trumps stated policies will have the opposite effect by reducing trade with poorer nations. His supporters don't seem to care about that though.

Another way of reducing poverty is education. Trump (those behind him) is planning to privatise American education into fundamentalist religious groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Extinction of species has been going on forever. Even before man entered the picture. And overpopulation is very real. The earth soon will be unable to sustain man's population. And it is already too late to change course without major conflicts or diseases that severely culls the population.

Forgive me if I don't believe your prophesy given that you can't even grasp the reality of human induced extinctions and destruction of eco systems that are happening right now.

Human activity is in direct conflict with natural eco-systems. That's inevitable, but people who oppose all environmental protections are just taking the p1ss and causing needless permanent catastrophic destruction of the biosphere.

Absolutely not.

How can you be so sure of yourself and so utterly and completely wrong at the same time?

2016 was the warmest year on record. 2015 was the warmest year before that, and 2014 was the warmest year before that.

16 of the 17 warmest years on record have been in the last 16 years.

170118112554_1_900x600.jpg

2016 global average temperatures were 1 degree celcius higher than the mid 20th century average temperature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

I have over 20 acres that I keep wooded and in a natural state. It converts co2 into oxygen to sustain thousands of people. What are you doing?

Good for you. My post was directed at creationists and climate deniers.

I do many small things such as recycle, conserve water and energy, plant trees and oppose environment destruction. We all just caretake the earth and should pass it in to the next generation in good health.

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Good for you. My post was directed at creationists and climate deniers.

I do many small things such as recycle, conserve water and energy, plant trees and oppose environment destruction. We all just caretake the earth and should pass it in to the next generation in good health.
    We need global political action. Individuals doing their bit will result in catastrophe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Akrasia wrote: »
    We need global political action. Individuals doing their bit will result in catastrophe.

Of course we need global action, but individuals doing their bit is still a positive contribution, as their children may learn as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

rgossip30 wrote: »
    And it's slowing dramatically, as pointed out in the post you were responding to - so you're kind of trying to make a straw man there.

So any update on which of Trump's policies you oppose, or are you going to continue to hold off on mentioning them until they happen so you can pretend you were behind them all along?

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Of course we need global action, but individuals doing their bit is still a positive contribution, as their children may learn as well.

It's only better than nothing if it's accompanied by political action. An individual who has a low carbon footprint but campaigns and elects to reduce environmental regulations is doing a lot more harm than good

• Registered Users Posts: 21,435 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The best projections are, allowing for people being healthier and living longer the world's pop will top out at about 11bn.
    At present we waste 30% of the food produced. Their is no case for starvation, except it's caused by inequality.

We simply need to lessen the impact of everyone on the environment. But then, that would run contrary to DT's short term aims. All his aims are short term.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭rgossip30

Billy86 wrote: »
    And it's slowing dramatically, as pointed out in the post you were responding to - so you're kind of trying to make a straw man there.

So any update on which of Trump's policies you oppose, or are you going to continue to hold off on mentioning them until they happen so you can pretend you were behind them all along?

.Rate of growth and population numbers are different slowing dramatically in the developed world .Why should I update you on trumps policies ? Do you have some twisted desire to pick on me .Try to debate not agitate .Kindly play with someone else .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

RTE reporting that the EPA has been instructed to remove information on climate change from its website. http://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0125/847586-trump-climate-change/

Anybody who thinks this is a positive move is a fool.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

He's starting an investigation into voter fraud now:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38746559

Seems that the the Republicans he was chatting with yesterday who were telling him to just get over it and get on with being president may have upset him, so now he'll start an investigation to prove he's the biggest idiot on the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

robinph wrote: »

The point of the Republicans yelling about voter fraud all the time is so that they can suppress voting by the poor and black, who reliably vote Democratic.

Even though there is no voter fraud to speak of.

robinph wrote: »

Seems that the the Republicans he was chatting with yesterday who were telling him to just get over it and get on with being president may have upset him, so now he'll start an investigation to prove he's the biggest idiot on the planet.

Not if he actually does uncover voter fraud . How does the biggest idiot on the planet become a billionaire and get elected President ?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

RTE reporting that the EPA has been instructed to remove information on climate change from its website. http://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0125/847586-trump-climate-change/

Anybody who thinks this is a positive move is a fool.
    That's like asking the WHO to remove all information they publish on vaccinations.

Both stunningly stupid and actually terrifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,435 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The majority of the areas were run by republicans, who have said there is no major voter fraud.
    This isn't a fight with Democrats and media. It is simply a fight with the truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

A 65 year old forest absorbs 1.6 tonnes of co2 per acre every year. The average co2 output per person in the US in 2013 was 16.4 tonnes. So your 20 acres gets you 2 people, not thousands.

I have 16 acres of grassland. Owning that does practically nothing compared to the fact that I generally work from home and when I have to travel to the office I use the bus. Do I get a pass because of that?
    I don't believe your numbers to be correct. But the claim of oxygen for thousands of families each year might be a tad overstated. One acre of relatively mature deciduous trees removes up to 2.6 tons of carbon dioxide each year. On average, one tree produces nearly 260 pounds of oxygen each year. Two mature trees can provide enough oxygen for a family of four.

So the forest I own removes about 65 tons of carbon dioxide each year and I have thousands of mature trees. Still not bad.

And yes, you do get a pass because you too appear to help the earth more than than you hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

seamus wrote: »
    That's like asking the WHO to remove all information they publish on vaccinations.

Trump is an anti-vaxxer, too. Andrew Wakefield, anti-vaccine fraudster, was at Trump's inaugural ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Not if he actually does uncover voter fraud . How does the biggest idiot on the planet become a billionaire and get elected President ?

How? Well get millions of seed capital from daddy, then build up enormous volumes of debt, skimming off personal wealth on businesses you run into bankruptcy. That's one approach. How to get elected? Promise a bunch of stuff you're not actually in a position to deliver to a desperate minority, in a system that allows a minority franchise to override a majority franchise. You don't even need to be the world's biggest idiot - just a regular idiot.

alastair wrote: »
    How? Well get millions of seed capital from daddy, then build up enormous volumes of debt, skimming off personal wealth on businesses you run into bankruptcy. That's one approach. How to get elected? Promise a bunch of stuff you're not actually in a position to deliver to a desperate minority, in a system that allows a minority franchise to override a majority franchise. You don't even need to be the world's biggest idiot - just a regular idiot.

In his words its called 'being clever ' when asked about his tax returns .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

.Rate of growth and population numbers are different slowing dramatically in the developed world .Why should I update you on trumps policies ? Do you have some twisted desire to pick on me .Try to debate not agitate .Kindly play with someone else .
    Sorry but the credibility for that one went out the window when you point blank stated there was a smaller crowd at Trump's inauguration than Obama's yet refused to disagree with Trump/Spicer's claim that there was a bigger crowd.

And rate of population growth stopping is directly related to total population, for very, very obvious reasons. Population growth isn't just slowing dramatically in the developed world, it's slowing dramatically in the entire world, dare I say it, period!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement