Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

President 'The Donald' Trump and Surprising Consequences - Mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

rgossip30 wrote: »
    In his words its called 'being clever ' when asked about his tax returns .

He's uttered all sorts of words. That's not been any guarantee that they made any sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

oscarBravo wrote: »
    It removes US funding from organisations that provide abortion services with non-US funding.

Think about that for a second: it's a policy that says if you provide abortion services, even though we're not paying for them, we will refuse to provide funding for HIV prevention and treatment; for mammograms; for cervical cancer screening; for birth control...

In short, it's a policy that says we won't give you money unless we get to dictate what you do with the money that other people give you. It's a policy that holds women's health to ransom over abortion.
    Oh, having a say in how the money we donate is utilized is such a bad thing... NOT!

And an easy solution for you is to have your non-governmental organizations (NGOs) stop performing abortion services as a method of family planning that receive our monies, and turn that procedure over to a organization the doesn’t receive our help. But... NOOOOOOO! It’s give us the money and STFU, eh?
    No, we haven't. Despite what Trump and Conway would have you believe, you don't get to invent your own facts. In fact, we've had three straight years of the hottest year on record - which everyone knows. Everyone, that is, with the apparent exception of people who have bought into the theory that continually lying about something will magically make it true.
    I have read scientific reports that indicate it has. But the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) scientists have found a solution to debunk the 15-year pause in global warming: They “adjusted” the hiatus in warming out of the temperature record. To increase the rate in warming, NOAA scientists put more weight on certain ocean buoy arrays, adjusted ship-based temperature readings upward, and slightly raised land-based temperatures as well. Sneaky devils... We’ll prove there was no pause in global warming by hook or by crook.

Listen, ya’ll MIGHT be right about global warming. But I keep an open mind as there are conflicting scientific studies that dispute it. I believe in doing things good for the earth. I just don’t want to destroy our economy based on a matter that I don’t believe is settled science yet. Especially when we uncover underhanded tactics utilized by 'experts' to 'prove' their theories on global warming.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Water John wrote: »
    The majority of the areas were run by republicans, who have said there is no major voter fraud.
    This isn't a fight with Democrats and media. It is simply a fight with the truth.
    No it's a fight with his ego because he can't accept he did not win the popular vote (hence the 3 to 5 million illegal voters referenced which would be enough to swing it his way).
    Amerika wrote: »
    Listen, ya’ll MIGHT be right about global warming. But I keep an open mind as there are conflicting scientific studies that dispute it. I believe in doing things good for the earth. I just don’t want to destroy our economy based on a matter that I don’t believe is settled science yet. Especially when we uncover underhanded tactics utilized by 'experts' to 'prove' their theories on global warming.
    There is about much dispute about if there's global warming (the dispute is how quickly and primary drivers) as there is about vaccines causing ADHD and is bad for children...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭rgossip30

Billy86 wrote: »
    Sorry but the credibility for that one went out the window when you point blank stated there was a smaller crowd at Trump's inauguration than Obama's yet refused to disagree with Trump/Spicer's claim that there was a bigger crowd.

And rate of population growth stopping is directly related to total population, for very, very obvious reasons. Population growth isn't just slowing dramatically in the developed world, it's slowing dramatically in the entire world, dare I say it, period!

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development-professionals-network/2016/jan/11/population-growth-in-africa-grasping-the-scale-of-the-challenge

Africa is still growing .

I reserved comment until his press conference and then stated as Spicer did that all media combined it was lager number .

get over it son

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Amerika wrote:

Nothing will convince people like you that climate change is happening. But you are in a good place so stay there. Keep believing it's a conspiracy and coincidence. The reality is that we are actually beyond tipping point and the only way the human race will survive over the next few hundred years is if we colonise another planet. Trump will only accelerate the inevitability. But look, the planet should see our generations out apart from increasing resource wars. I'd worry about the children of children born today though.

However, ignore what I've said. Stay happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

robinph wrote: »
    He's starting an investigation into voter fraud now:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38746559

Seems that the the Republicans he was chatting with yesterday who were telling him to just get over it and get on with being president may have upset him, so now he'll start an investigation to prove he's the biggest idiot on the planet.

He might find something he does not like and then it will become an alernative fact. So far he is proving to be as bad as many people feared. The optimistic part of me hopes the job will moderate and restrain him in time, but the pessimist in me thinks of the damage he will cause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Sure, here's the answer - I said population growth is down globally. Here is the global rate:

Last%20pic%20for%20dramatic%20slowdown%20post.jpg

Disprove that, or look for another straw man and please try to do better than the Newt Gingrich "it's up in one are so it's up and that's it" approach.

Still no insight on the Trump policies you disapprove of I see. I'm beginning to think you don't actually know what they are.

Mr.Micro wrote:
    He might find something he does not like and then it will become an alernative fact. So far he is proving to be as bad as many people feared. The optimistic part of me hopes the job will moderate and restrain him in time, but the pessimist in me thinks of the damage he will cause.

Trump is being Trump. Can't blame him for that. What do you expect from a pig but a grunt?

The real culprit is the craven, unprincipled, obsequious GOP.

Sure, here's the answer - I said population growth is down globally. Here is the global rate:

Last%20pic%20for%20dramatic%20slowdown%20post.jpg

Disprove that, or look for another straw man and please try to do better than the Newt Gingrich "it's up in one are so it's up and that's it" approach.

Still no insight on the Trump policies you disapprove of I see. I'm beginning to think you don't actually know what they are.

Still waiting for a reply on the African growth link .

Still waiting for a reply on the African growth link .

You just quoted it.

As for the ninja edit in your last post
    I reserved comment until his press conference and then stated as Spicer did that all media combined it was lager number .
    Spicer said it was a larger attendance. You said it was a smaller attendance. You disagreed with him. By accident of course, because it's clear that your number one goal is to not criticise the Trump administration first, and worry about what it is you are criticising or not criticising afterwards (if at all). But you did, and there's no denying it. You agree with us all in here that Spicer (and by extension Trump) is a liar, and as a result that Spicer should step down like he said he would.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

I have read scientific reports that indicate it has. But the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) scientists have found a solution to debunk the 15-year pause in global warming: They “adjusted” the hiatus in warming out of the temperature record. To increase the rate in warming, NOAA scientists put more weight on certain ocean buoy arrays, adjusted ship-based temperature readings upward, and slightly raised land-based temperatures as well. Sneaky devils... We’ll prove there was no pause in global warming by hook or by crook.
    It didn't take me long to find out why:
    Stations have moved to different locations over the past 150 years, most more than once. They have changed instruments from mercury thermometers to electronic sensors, and have changed the time they take temperature measurements from afternoon to morning. Cities have grown up around stations, and some weather stations are not ideally located. All of these issues introduce inconsistencies into the temperature record.

Scientists make adjustments to account for changes in the way both land and ocean temperature measurements have been made over the past 150 years. The ocean adjustments make the biggest difference, and in fact they actually reduce the measured amount of global surface warming over the past century, as compared to the raw data.

However, over the past couple of decades, they act to very slightly increase the overall global surface warming trend.

Very slightly. Here's the graph that shows the change from raw data to adjusted data.

407419.jpg

You just quoted it.

As for the ninja edit in your last post

Spicer said it was a larger attendance. You said it was a smaller attendance. You disagreed with him. By accident of course, because it's clear that your number one goal is to not criticise the Trump administration first, and worry about what it is you are criticising or not criticising afterwards (if at all). But you did, and there's no denying it. You agree with us all in here that Spicer (and by extension Trump) is a liar, and as a result that Spicer should step down like he said he would.

Who is us all if Spicer wants to step down because he is a liar no matter to me .Try not run around in circles .
    Still waiting a reply on the African link .

Rather bizarre reading of the situation - in the real world: https://www.theguardian.com/environment/climate-consensus-97-per-cent/2016/feb/08/no-climate-conspiracy-noaa-temperature-adjustments-bring-data-closer-to-pristine

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

What is there to gain for those promote the facts of global warming? Those who deny it have plenty to gain, sell more oil, coal, gas and whatever, such as oil companies, gas companies etc.

In simplistic terms the earth as a goldfish bowl. When it's levels of CO2 and other gases reach the point where they cannot be recycled and they have nowhere to go.....then what. Each year more cars, industry, energy consumption and every other activity leads to CO2. The rate of production outstrips recycling. So our goldfish bowl is at the critical point or even beyond. Simple science.

Nothing will convince people like you that climate change is happening. But you are in a good place so stay there. Keep believing it's a conspiracy and coincidence. The reality is that we are actually beyond tipping point and the only way the human race will survive over the next few hundred years is if we colonise another planet. Trump will only accelerate the inevitability. But look, the planet should see our generations out apart from increasing resource wars. I'd worry about the children of children born today though.

However, ignore what I've said. Stay happy.

Yes, I’m happy in my place. It’s one that keeps reading, keeps investigating, keeps asking questions, and is willing to give alternative analysis on data a chance. Not a place that blindly worships the religion of global warming. Enjoy your hosannas.

Yes, I’m happy in my place. It’s one that keeps reading, keeps investigating, keeps asking questions, and is willing to give alternative analysis on data a chance.

...Except when it comes to the NOAA, it would seem. :rolleyes:

Who is us all if Spicer wants to step down because he is a liar no matter to me .

Going by your posts, you don't seem to know much of anything about Trump, his policies or his cabinet beyond a few soundbites so to bring you up to speed, he said he would step down if he lied. He lied by claiming it was the biggest in person attendance ever, you agree he lied. And so you think he should step down. Open and closed. I reckon you disagreed with him by accident, but when you're being intentionally disingenuous you get held to what you say and lose all credibility to claim otherwise.

Do you ninja edit every post?
    Still waiting a reply on the African link .
    It's been replied to multiple times, do try to keep up.

Yes, I’m happy in my place. It’s one that keeps reading, keeps investigating, keeps asking questions, and is willing to give alternative analysis on data a chance. Not a place that blindly worships the religion of global warming. Enjoy your hosannas.

Nah. You ignore the overwhelming evidence, instead choosing to scour the internet to find obscure 'facts' created by loons and corporate spin doctors in an attempt to pick holes in scientific evidence. All the while, you deliberately skip past the simple and obvious truths agreed by 98% of scientists involved in climate change research.

To put it simply, you choose to delude yourself. That's understandable. Carry on.

Oh come on Amerika. You're clearly an intelligent guy. I posted above the actual graph of raw and adjusted data that you're talking about and it actually raises the baseline pre 1950 which has an overall effect of reducing the temperature gap between then and now.

It took me practically no time to find it. Surely you at least had a look at why the change was made rather than dimiss it as some kind of belief system bolstering.

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    What is there to gain for those promote the facts of global warming? Those who deny it have plenty to gain, sell more oil, coal, gas and whatever, such as oil companies, gas companies etc.
    The transfer of wealth. Isn't that the real goal of all the climate change brouhaha?
    In simplistic terms the earth as a goldfish bowl. When it's levels of CO2 and other gases reach the point where they cannot be recycled and they have nowhere to go.....then what. Each year more cars, industry, energy consumption and every other activity leads to CO2. The rate of production outstrips recycling. So our goldfish bowl is at the critical point or even beyond. Simple science.

I’ve seen NASA’s graphs regarding the current level of carbon dioxide. It’s off the chart. Why then isn’t our average temperature somewhere around 40 degrees Celsius if CO2 is the reason for global warming? Or are we not allowed to ask those type of questions?

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Oh, having a say in how the money we donate is utilized is such a bad thing... NOT!
    We're not talking about how the money you donate is utilised; we're talking about demanding a say in how the money others donate is utilised because you donate money too.
    And an easy solution for you is to have your non-governmental organizations (NGOs) stop performing abortion services as a method of family planning...
    Actually, an alternative solution is to accept money from grown-up countries like the Netherlands who recognise that abortion is an integral part of reproductive healthcare, rather than from wannabe 19th-century theocracies like the USA seems to be determined to become.
    I have read scientific reports that indicate it has.
    No, you haven't. You've read opinion pieces claiming it has. They're not scientific reports, because the science doesn't say that. The only way to arrive at a conclusion as false as the one you did is to ignore the science. Case in point:
    But the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) scientists have found a solution to debunk the 15-year pause in global warming: They “adjusted” the hiatus in warming out of the temperature record. To increase the rate in warming, NOAA scientists put more weight on certain ocean buoy arrays, adjusted ship-based temperature readings upward, and slightly raised land-based temperatures as well. Sneaky devils... We’ll prove there was no pause in global warming by hook or by crook.
    See, that's not science. That's a GOP anti-science talking point. The reasons for the NOAA adjustment are well-explained and scientifically valid; the reasons for disagreeing with them are "I don't agree with them, therefore they're wrong.
    Listen, ya’ll MIGHT be right about global warming. But I keep an open mind as there are conflicting scientific studies that dispute it.
    No, there aren't. There are people who claim there are, but then there are people who argue that there is science behind young-Earth creationism.

They're wrong. What they're doing isn't science. It's like evolution: the science is settled, and the determination of some people to believe that it's not won't change that fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,435 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Micro, why are you saying the world is a goldfish bowl? Don't we all know from byblical times that the earth is flat.
    It was also formed in the year 4004 BC, BTW.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Isn't that the real goal of all the climate change brouhaha?
    I thought it was to benefit China?
    I’ve seen NASA’s graphs regarding the current level of carbon dioxide. It’s off the chart. Why then isn’t our average temperature somewhere around 40 degrees Celsius if CO2 is the reason for global warming?

Because it's a complex feedback mechanism, not a simple linear relationship. Which you'd know, if you'd read the science like you'd claimed to.

Speaking of NASA, which of the points on this page do you disagree with, and what's the evidence to disprove it?

We're not talking about how the money you donate is utilised; we're talking about demanding a say in how the money others donate is utilised because you donate money too. Actually, an alternative solution is to accept money from grown-up countries like the Netherlands who recognise that abortion is an integral part of reproductive healthcare, rather than from wannabe 19th-century theocracies like the USA seems to be determined to become. No, you haven't. You've read opinion pieces claiming it has. They're not scientific reports, because the science doesn't say that. The only way to arrive at a conclusion as false as the one you did is to ignore the science. Case in point: See, that's not science. That's a GOP anti-science talking point. The reasons for the NOAA adjustment are well-explained and scientifically valid; the reasons for disagreeing with them are "I don't agree with them, therefore they're wrong. No, there aren't. There are people who claim there are, but then there are people who argue that there is science behind young-Earth creationism.

They're wrong. What they're doing isn't science. It's like evolution: the science is settled, and the determination of some people to believe that it's not won't change that fact.

I’ve seen the list of scientists who have claimed it is not possible to project global climate accurately enough to justify the ranges projected for temperature and sea-level rise over the next century and that that the projections are likely to be inaccurate due to inadequacies of current global climate modeling. Odd that Trump and Conway aren’t the only people on the list, wouldn’t you say?
    David Bellamy, botanist.
    Lennart Bengtsson, meteorologist, Reading University.
    Piers Corbyn, owner of the business WeatherAction which makes weather forecasts.
    Judith Curry, Professor and former chair of the School of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences at the Georgia Institute of Technology.
    Freeman Dyson, professor emeritus of the School of Natural Sciences, Institute for Advanced Study; Fellow of the Royal Society.
    Ivar Giaever, Norwegian–American physicist and Nobel laureate in physics.
    Steven E. Koonin, theoretical physicist and director of the Center for Urban Science and Progress at New York University.
    Richard Lindzen, Alfred P. Sloan emeritus professor of atmospheric science at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and member of the National Academy of Sciences.
    Craig Loehle, ecologist and chief scientist at the National Council for Air and Stream Improvement.
    Ross McKitrick, Professor of Economics and CBE Chair in Sustainable Commerce, University of Guelph.
    Patrick Moore, former president of Greenpeace Canada.
    Nils-Axel Mörner, retired head of the Paleogeophysics and Geodynamics Department at Stockholm University, former chairman of the INQUA Commission on Sea Level Changes and Coastal Evolution (1999–2003).
    Garth Paltridge, retired chief research scientist, CSIRO Division of Atmospheric Research and retired director of the Institute of the Antarctic Cooperative Research Centre, visiting fellow Australian National University.
    Roger A. Pielke, Jr., professor of environmental studies at the Center for Science and Technology Policy Research at the University of Colorado at Boulder.
    Tom Quirk, corporate director of biotech companies and former board member of the Institute of Public Affairs, an Australian conservative think-tank.
    Denis Rancourt, former professor of physics at University of Ottawa, research scientist in condensed matter physics, and in environmental and soil science.
    Harrison Schmitt, geologist, Apollo 17 Astronaut, former U.S. Senator.
    Peter Stilbs, professor of physical chemistry at Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm.
    Philip Stott, professor emeritus of biogeography at the University of London.
    Hendrik Tennekes, retired director of research, Royal Netherlands Meteorological Institute.
    Anastasios Tsonis, distinguished professor at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.
    Fritz Vahrenholt, German politician and energy executive with a doctorate in chemistry.

And there is no theory of evolution. Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Religion?

It's science, not religion. You need to check your sources mate. You're investigating in the wrong places.

I thought it was to benefit China?

Because it's a complex feedback mechanism, not a simple linear relationship. Which you'd know, if you'd read the science like you'd claimed to.

Speaking of NASA, which of the points on this page do you disagree with, and what's the evidence to disprove it?

That's the graph I was referring to when I said CO2 levels were off the graph. So you agree then that CO2 might not be the leading factor leading to global warming?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I’ve seen the list of scientists who have claimed it is not possible to project global climate accurately enough to justify the ranges projected for temperature and sea-level rise over the next century and that that the projections are likely to be inaccurate due to inadequacies of current global climate modeling. Odd that Trump and Conway aren’t the only people on the list, wouldn’t you say?
    David Bellamy, botanist.
    Lennart Bengtsson, meteorologist, Reading University.
    Piers Corbyn, owner of the business WeatherAction which makes weather forecasts.
    Judith Curry, Professor and former chair of the School of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences at the Georgia Institute of Technology.
    Freeman Dyson, professor emeritus of the School of Natural Sciences, Institute for Advanced Study; Fellow of the Royal Society.
    Ivar Giaever, Norwegian–American physicist and Nobel laureate in physics.
    Steven E. Koonin, theoretical physicist and director of the Center for Urban Science and Progress at New York University.
    Richard Lindzen, Alfred P. Sloan emeritus professor of atmospheric science at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and member of the National Academy of Sciences.
    Craig Loehle, ecologist and chief scientist at the National Council for Air and Stream Improvement.
    Ross McKitrick, Professor of Economics and CBE Chair in Sustainable Commerce, University of Guelph.
    Patrick Moore, former president of Greenpeace Canada.
    Nils-Axel Mörner, retired head of the Paleogeophysics and Geodynamics Department at Stockholm University, former chairman of the INQUA Commission on Sea Level Changes and Coastal Evolution (1999–2003).
    Garth Paltridge, retired chief research scientist, CSIRO Division of Atmospheric Research and retired director of the Institute of the Antarctic Cooperative Research Centre, visiting fellow Australian National University.
    Roger A. Pielke, Jr., professor of environmental studies at the Center for Science and Technology Policy Research at the University of Colorado at Boulder.
    Tom Quirk, corporate director of biotech companies and former board member of the Institute of Public Affairs, an Australian conservative think-tank.
    Denis Rancourt, former professor of physics at University of Ottawa, research scientist in condensed matter physics, and in environmental and soil science.
    Harrison Schmitt, geologist, Apollo 17 Astronaut, former U.S. Senator.
    Peter Stilbs, professor of physical chemistry at Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm.
    Philip Stott, professor emeritus of biogeography at the University of London.
    Hendrik Tennekes, retired director of research, Royal Netherlands Meteorological Institute.
    Anastasios Tsonis, distinguished professor at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.
    Fritz Vahrenholt, German politician and energy executive with a doctorate in chemistry.
    And as you took that from the wiki page you also know that the above list is less than 3% of the total scientists who actually studied the subject which means there are 32x as many scientists who do support the theory.

I’ve seen NASA’s graphs regarding the current level of carbon dioxide. It’s off the chart. Why then isn’t our average temperature somewhere around 40 degrees Celsius if CO2 is the reason for global warming? Or are we not allowed to ask those type of questions?

Given that the IPCC gave a ready reckoner ratio of 2-4.5°C increase for the doubling of pre-victorian CO2 levels, at a rate of 0.15-0.20°C per decade if the last thirty years are indicative, I'm not sure why you would expect that? Maybe you need to refine those reading and investigative skills?

Nody wrote: »
    And as you took that from the wiki page you also know that the above list is less than 3% of the total scientists who actually studied the subject which means there are 32x as many scientists who do support the theory.
    And there was a time when less than 3% of the total scientists believed the earth revolved around the sun.

• Advertisement

That's the graph I was referring to when I said CO2 levels were off the graph. So you agree then that CO2 might not be the leading factor leading to global warming?
    It may not frighten you, but it's certainly not comforting to know that in a period when solar output was in a particular decline (2007-2009 being unusually low), surface temperatures on Earth continued to rise.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement