Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

President 'The Donald' Trump and Surprising Consequences - Mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Amerika wrote: »
    And there was a time when less than 3% of the total scientists believed the earth revolved around the sun.
    Yes; and 50 years ago no people really talked about global warming yet the information and knowledge has swung that tide. It's not a case of the number of people are increasing who doubt it but the other way around. Exactly as as more information became available the number of people believing that the world was flat went down as more knowledge became available to prove otherwise in the same way the number of people claiming globla warming is false are going down every year as well. That does not stop some hold outs on the world is flat as well. Does that prove that the world is flat because some still believe it or does it simply mean that they are wrong and are hold outs against the truth?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The transfer of wealth. Isn't that the real goal of all the climate change brouhaha?
    I thought it was a Chinese conspiracy. Isn't that president Trump's official position on Global Warming?
    I’ve seen NASA’s graphs regarding the current level of carbon dioxide. It’s off the chart. Why then isn’t our average temperature somewhere around 40 degrees Celsius if CO2 is the reason for global warming? Or are we not allowed to ask those type of questions?
    You can ask the questions, if you like, but get someone who knows what they are talking about to answer them. You're not qualified to answer them yourself, but you think you are so you've gotten yourself all confused

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

Oh come on Amerika. You're clearly an intelligent guy.
    I think the majority here would tend to dispute that assertion. ;)
    I posted above the actual graph of raw and adjusted data that you're talking about and it actually raises the baseline pre 1950 which has an overall effect of reducing the temperature gap between then and now.

It took me practically no time to find it. Surely you at least had a look at why the change was made rather than dimiss it as some kind of belief system bolstering.

I'll repeat myself... the science on CO2 and it's correlation to global warming might be correct. I’m for sound measures to protect the earth. I’m just not quite ready to destroy our economy and transfer our wealth to other nations based on something I considered to still be an open discussion. Does that make me evil? Perhaps, but I been called much worse here, for far less.

Nody wrote: »
    Yes; and 50 years ago no people really talked about global warming yet the information and knowledge has swung that tide. It's not a case of the number of people are increasing who doubt it but the other way around. Exactly as as more information became available the number of people believing that the world was flat went down as more knowledge became available to prove otherwise in the same way the number of people claiming globla warming is false are going down every year as well. That does not stop some hold outs on the world is flat as well. Does that prove that the world is flat because some still believe it or does it simply mean that they are wrong and are hold outs against the truth?
    And I remember some 40 odd years ago that the settled science proved we were experiencing global cooling and were headed for a new ice age in the near future.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Doubt it; intentionally antagonist possibly or the local "say opposite" style poster yes but not stupid; that would be reserved for the style of poster who insists anything Trump says has to be true because Trumps said so. Hence to stay around and hold up multiple coherent arguments in parallel would require intelligence to achieve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

That's the graph I was referring to when I said CO2 levels were off the graph. So you agree then that CO2 might not be the leading factor leading to global warming?

So you agree there is global warming then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Harika

And I remember some 40 odd years ago that the settled science proved we were experiencing global cooling and were headed for a new ice age in the near future.

This was a paper that suggested that, this was never a consensus or peer reviewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I'll repeat myself... the science on CO2 and it's correlation to global warming might be correct. I’m for sound measures to protect the earth. I’m just not quite ready to destroy our economy and transfer our wealth to other nations based on something I considered to still be an open discussion. Does that make me evil? Perhaps, but I been called much worse here, for far less.

Destroying your economy.....

There is huge money to be made in renewables and jobs many many jobs.

The only thing holding it back is lobbyists like rex.

The rest is fear mongering and fabrication.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,997 ✭✭✭✭bnt

eire4 wrote: »
    Funny I was just thinking the same myself when I read that post. As an aside sales of George Orwell's 1984 have been surging on Amazon up to number 5 this week since Conway defending Spicers lies at his first press conference with her already infamous "alternative facts".
    Number 5? It's number one today:

407425.png

That's #1 in all books, fiction or non-fiction.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

the science on CO2 and it's correlation to global warming might be correct. I’m for sound measures to protect the earth. I’m just not quite ready to destroy our economy and transfer our wealth to other nations based on something I considered to still be an open discussion.

The Isolationist paranoia of the american far right.

Dithering from indecision because they've been bamboozled from years of buzz words thrown at them from the worst polluting industries.

Save

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

I'm not sure how the transfer of wealth argument works out tbh. There are measures that could be taken in the US that would reduce carbon emissions without touching industry or even vehicular use.

Animal agriculture is calculated as having higher carbon emmissions (18%) than vehicular transport (13%). Less burgers everyone ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭rgossip30

Billy86 wrote: »
    Going by your posts, you don't seem to know much of anything about Trump, his policies or his cabinet beyond a few soundbites so to bring you up to speed, he said he would step down if he lied. He lied by claiming it was the biggest in person attendance ever, you agree he lied. And so you think he should step down. Open and closed. I reckon you disagreed with him by accident, but when you're being intentionally disingenuous you get held to what you say and lose all credibility to claim otherwise.

Do you ninja edit every post?

It's been replied to multiple times, do try to keep up.

You are the only who continues to harass me on the subject of Trump and try to insinuate things which I have not said in future show posts .

Where not on this thread as the subject of population is off topic here anyhow .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

eire4 wrote: »
    Funny I was just thinking the same myself when I read that post. As an aside sales of George Orwell's 1984 have been surging on Amazon up to number 5 this week since Conway defending Spicers lies at his first press conference with her already infamous "alternative facts".

It is probably Germans buying it while they still can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

rgossip30 wrote: »
    You are the only who continues to harass me on the subject of Trump and try to insinuate things which I have not said in future show posts .

Where not on this thread as the subject of population is off topic here anyhow .

I'm insinuating nothing. You said the crowd was smaller than at Obama's inauguration. Spicer/Trump said it was bigger. You disagree with them. You agree he was lying in saying that. All the attempts at backtracking you have made since do nothing to change that.

Look, I'm just going to put you on ignore because it's quite clear you're not actually in any way interested in talking about the policies, actions or statements of Donald Trump and his office in the thread about Donald Trump and his office, and don't even know what they are for the most part. There's a word for what you're up to, but I'll leave it out since the mods don't approve of calling people out on it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭rgossip30

Billy86 wrote: »
    I'm insinuating nothing. You said the crowd was smaller than at Obama's inauguration. Spicer/Trump said it was bigger. You disagree with them. You agree he was lying in saying that. All the attempts at backtracking you have made since do nothing to change that.

Look, I'm just going to put you on ignore because it's quite clear you're not actually in any way interested in talking about the policies, actions or statements of Donald Trump and his office in the thread about Donald Trump and his office, and don't even know what they are for the most part. There's a word for what you're up to, but I'll leave it out since the mods don't approve of calling people out on it. :)

Certainly not with your ranting, ignore me PLEASE .

And there was a time when less than 3% of the total scientists believed the earth revolved around the sun.

That was a pre scientific belief. No scientist ever used the scientific method to determine that the sun orbits the earth

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

1984 is only up to no.7 on the UK Amazon best sellers list with a bunch of "loose 5 stone in 15 minutes" books in the list ahead of it. I guess they are just examples of "alternative facts" books though so along the same lines. :)

It is selling quickly though as it wasn't in the top 20 on the UK list this morning when I also went to the wrong page then.

bnt wrote: »
    Number 5? It's number one today:

407425.png

That's #1 in all books, fiction or non-fiction.

This is a bit like the British people googling "what is the EU" after the brexit referendum was already lost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Bernie Sanders came out today to agree with Trump's decision to suspend the TPP deal it is being reported. It looks like Trump is doing what is best for his country.

Nody wrote: »
    Doubt it; intentionally antagonist possibly or the local "say opposite" style poster yes but not stupid; that would be reserved for the style of poster who insists anything Trump says has to be true because Trumps said so. Hence to stay around and hold up multiple coherent arguments in parallel would require intelligence to achieve.

Thanks I think, but why is it so hard to accept that I believe what I post?

And we have bigger problems here in the US then CO2. And it's bigger than Trump. People don’t realize it but we’re currently fighting our second Civil War, sans slavery. And the 2016 election was Fort Sumter II. The fight today is between the Left and the Right morally, ideologically and politically. And American unity at this point probably can only happen after one is vanquished. So far the battles have been largely nonviolent, but that is changing with the increasing left-wing violence. Up until now the Left have done the majority of fighting, and the Right has remained complacent. That is how the Left conquered our school system in order to indoctrinate America's youth to their way of thinking. They’ve conquered nearly all the US news media, and our entertainment media. The Right has mostly been battling at the polls and have secured wins, as evidenced over the last few years since Obama became president by winning the House, the Senate, more than 900 state legislators and 12 governorships. But with the Trump win I believe the war will become full blown, and the Right will now fight with the same ferocity as the Left, as they are finally starting to understand this is a real life battle for the survival of America as we have know it.

• Advertisement

And we have bigger problems here in the US then CO2. And it's bigger than Trump. People don’t realize it but we’re currently fighting our second Civil War, sans slavery. And the 2016 election was Fort Sumter II. The fight today is between the Left and the Right morally, ideologically and politically. And American unity at this point probably can only happen after one is vanquished. So far the battles have been largely nonviolent, but that is changing with the increasing left-wing violence. Up until now the Left have done the majority of fighting, and the Right has remained complacent. That is how the Left conquered our school system in order to indoctrinate America's youth to their way of thinking. They’ve conquered nearly all the US news media, and our entertainment media. The Right has mostly been battling at the polls and have secured wins, as evidenced over the last few years since Obama became president by winning the House, the Senate, more than 900 state legislators and 12 governorships. But with the Trump win I believe the war will become full blown, and the Right will now fight with the same ferocity as the Left, as they are finally starting to understand this is a real life battle for the survival of America as we have know it.

I want to point out that the right wing in Europa also thinks this way, LePen and Strache are talking about a coming civil war, or that a civil war is already ongoing. I am just wondering, where is the lust for war coming from? Where is the data to support that? Like in the 70s in Europa, left wing terror was far more prominent that today, but no one back then was talking about a coming civil war. So why is the lust for violence now surfacing?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Now that's some baloney.

Harika wrote: »
    I want to point out that the right wing in Europa also thinks this way, LePen and Strache are talking about a coming civil war, or that a civil war is already ongoing. I am just wondering, where is the lust for war coming from? Where is the data to support that? Like in the 70s in Europa, left wing terror was far more prominent that today, but no one back then was talking about a coming civil war. So why is the lust for violence now surfacing?

Its down to racial and economic tensions. Over 20% unemployment in Southern Europe. Massive hysteria and news reporting of terror attacks and refugee jungles all across continental Europe and mainland Britain is bound to lead to an upsurge in the far right and far left particular the far right who can add anti immigration and anti bankers to their traditional song and dance about anti antisemitism and anti minorities.

listermint wrote: »
    So you agree there is global warming then.

I believe there has always been some level of global warming or global cooling going on ever since Theia slammed into the Earth. :)

I believe there has always been some level of global warming or global cooling going on ever since Theia slammed into the Earth. :)

Never as steep as we experience right now or linked to human activity.

Akrasia wrote: »
    That was a pre scientific belief. No scientist ever used the scientific method to determine that the sun orbits the earth
    It was the science of the time. There is the science of today that disproves the science of yesterday. Just imagine what the science of tomorrow with come up with to disprove the science of today.

Harika wrote: »
    Never as steep as we experience right now or linked to human activity.

Have you ever heard of Snowball Earth?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It was the science of the time. There is the science of today that disproves the science of yesterday. Just imagine what the science of tomorrow with come up with to disprove the science of today.

Yet you are still using the science of the day before yesterday?

My own personal view on the whole Climate Change is that humans are causing it namely through the destruction of wildlife and constructing of massive cities in the jungles and drilling and exhausting of oil fields in the Persian Gulfs. As humans we need to better use this land and you see many humans simple don't care about nature its not about climate change they simple want to exhaust the land whereas for thousands of years humans were farming societies. We can't keep destroying the land, ocean & air we depend on to live and grow. We end up having smelly ugly unhygienic cities.

• Advertisement

Have you ever heard of Snowball Earth?

Sure, cooled down and then warmed up again, never as steep as nowadays and not caused by humans.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement