Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

President 'The Donald' Trump and Surprising Consequences - Mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

Harika wrote: »
    Sure, cooled down and then warmed up again, never as steep as nowadays and not caused by humans.

Snowball Earth was not as bad as what we are experiencing today? You've got some Eskimo in you, don't you? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭rgossip30

The woman on the streeet says ' Democrats went too far left ' what does uncle sam say .

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    My own personal view on the whole Climate Change...

...is, with respect, pretty much irrelevant. The idea that everyone can have their own personal view on something that's vastly complex and takes a great deal of scientific insight to understand fully is, frankly, a fairly major part of what's wrong with the world.

You don't get to have your own personal hypothesis on climate change, any more than you do on gravity. That is, you can have whatever hypothesis you like: but it doesn't change the facts.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Harika

Amerika wrote: »
    Snowball Earth was not as bad as what we are experiencing today? You've got some Eskimo in you, don't you? :P

It was bad, do you fancy the opposite of it coming our way? Fireball Earth
    Personally I like the cold, grew up in areas where the winter was -20 degrees C, you get used to it. Having a max. temp of +40 degrees C is quite challenging for me. In fact, theories already see that the areas especially affected by global warming are the areas we see that are already troublesome, like middle east where the fight for fertile land and water started.

• Advertisement

oscarBravo wrote: »
    ...is, with respect, pretty much irrelevant. The idea that everyone can have their own personal view on something that's vastly complex and takes a great deal of scientific insight to understand fully is, frankly, a fairly major part of what's wrong with the world.

You don't get to have your own personal hypothesis on climate change, any more than you do on gravity. That is, you can have whatever hypothesis you like: but it doesn't change the facts.

Climate is changing anyhow humans just accelerated it . Alternative energy is being developed Hydrogen and Fusion .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Yes but this thread is about Donald Trump and his politics and ultimately politics is the art of the possible. We live in a world in which scientists don't decide what the world policies are. You and i might not like it but it is actually money that talks and most of his supporters are those that would suffer if he was to drastically change America's policies on this. Much of the word still need to formulate their own views on climate change and decide it is in their interests to enact change.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

rgossip30 wrote: »
    Alternative energy is being developed Hydrogen and Fusion .

Perhaps you missed the election of Donald Trump and his promise to mine and burn more American coal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

Billy86 wrote: »
    They do actually, it's just the low and reverse angle perspective which is used to make groups of people/objects look more vast than they are in many lower budget movies. You can't see the empty spaces behind the people in each section because they are blocked by those same people, as the ground is at a lower level. The same way you can't see the part of the desk -directly- behind your coffee cup. Hence why you can see more pockets in the photo with the numbered red section than you can in the other one - it's taken from a higher angle.

It really does sound patronising, but the differences in perspective can almost be boiled down to "the cows in here are very small, but the cows out there are far far away." :p

But even with this Gigapixel
    http://edition.cnn.com/interactive/2017/01/politics/trump-inauguration-gigapixel/

It still looks like more people ...
    you can zoom in ...

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Much of the word still need to formulate their own views on climate change and decide it is in their interests to enact change.

Nope. Much of the world needs to realise that the reality of climate change is independent of their views on it, and understand that it is in their interests to enact change.

The problem is that, for many people, the worst of the effects will be suffered by other people. Which means that the people who are electing climate-denying idiots in the USA are weighing up the possible economic cost to them against the total devastation of entire populations in developing countries, arriving at selfish conclusions, and justifying it to themselves by choosing to believe in unscientific rubbish.

• Advertisement

Yes but this thread is about Donald Trump and his politics and ultimately politics is the art of the possible. We live in a world in which scientists don't decide what the world policies are. You and i might not like it but it is actually money that talks and most of his supporters are those that would suffer if he was to drastically change America's policies on this. Much of the word still need to formulate their own views on climate change and decide it is in their interests to enact change.

Scientists deciding the course, would be a disaster as Heinlein described in his book "Starship Trooper"
    Service men are not brighter than civilians. In many cases civilians are much more intelligent. That was the sliver of justification underlying the attempted coup d' etat just before the Treaty of New Delhi, the so-called 'Revolt of the Scientists': let the intelligent elite run things and you'll have utopia. It fell flat on its foolish face of course. Because the pursuit of science, despite its social benefits, is itself not a social virtue; its practitioners can be men so self-centered as to be lacking in social responsibility.

I think the Democrats in US and EU can take a big lesson out of this.

Perhaps you missed the election of Donald Trump and his promise to mine and burn more American coal?

Well consider his present policy lets hope they can be developed .I have seen pollution from coal fired stations and over population in China .

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭johnp001

"A theory that is not refutable by any conceivable event is non-scientific" - Karl Popper.

James Corbett made a very informative short 5 minute video on this subject.

When belief in anthropogenic climate change is so axiomatic that any questioning of the validity and applicability of the various data in what is, as you say, a vastly complex field becomes seen as heresy then how will the scientific community be able to refine the theory?

It was bad, do you fancy the opposite of it coming our way? Fireball Earth
    Personally I like the cold, grew up in areas where the winter was -20 degrees C, you get used to it. Having a max. temp of +40 degrees C is quite challenging for me. In fact, theories already see that the areas especially affected by global warming are the areas we see that are already troublesome, like middle east where the fight for fertile land and water started.

That’s pretty cold. I live in the Pocono Mountains, US. It gets that cold here also, and colder. I bought into what Al Gore was selling and purchased a house a little ways down from a ski resort... With hopes by now I’d have beach front property. Still waiting.

Relax… it’s hyperbole. Don’t everyone start asking me for the property transfer records so you can all plug the longitude and latitude coordinates into Google earth in order to disprove my hypothesis based on average increase in ocean rise.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Nope. Much of the world needs to realise that the reality of climate change is independent of their views on it, and understand that it is in their interests to enact change.

The problem is that, for many people, the worst of the effects will be suffered by other people. Which means that the people who are electing climate-denying idiots in the USA are weighing up the possible economic cost to them against the total devastation of entire populations in developing countries, arriving at selfish conclusions, and justifying it to themselves by choosing to believe in unscientific rubbish.

However, when flooding and drought continue to increase in other countries, these other people won't stay where they are and simply starve to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Scientists deciding the course, would be a disaster as Heinlein described in his book "Starship Trooper"

I think the Democrats in US and EU can take a big lesson out of this.

Heinlein was about as authoritative on science/society/politics as L. Ron. Hubbard was. Enough fiction being touted by the current administration to require the opposition to start delving into more.

However, when flooding and drought continue to increase in other countries, these other people won't stay where they are and simply starve to death.

What you already see, when you lay the map of most affected countries by climate change over the country where most people are fleeing from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

http://edition.cnn.com/interactive/2017/01/politics/trump-inauguration-gigapixel/

you can zoom in ...

But when you zoom in you can see the same empty pockets in the same areas? :confused:

alastair wrote: »
    Now that's some baloney.
    Joe Biden would probably use the term ‘malarkey.’ And he too would be wrong.

Reuters has a poll out which found one-third of Californians are ready to secede from the union now that Donald Trump is president. There is already a move to get Calexit on the ballot in 2019. And last year Public Policy Polling found that 40% of Texans would consider secession if Clinton won the election. The war is real.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

What you already see, when you lay the map of most affected countries by climate change over the country where most people are fleeing from.

Interesting and factual article outlining some of the reasons why this is happening from The National Geographic (the lying bastards).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

It was the science of the time. There is the science of today that disproves the science of yesterday. Just imagine what the science of tomorrow with come up with to disprove the science of today.

The 'science' of the time was trying to use pure reason to answer questions about nature and it resulted in hundreds of competing schools of thought none of which had any better claim to be correct than any other.

It was only really in the 16th century when Francis Bacon and Galileo and Newton etc started using induction and experimentation and methodological recording of scientific observations that the scientific method was born. There are millions of scientists studying countless different areas of research, and they all follow the principles of the scientific method (other than the quacks and frauds who add nothing to the pool of human knowledge)

Joe Biden would probably use the term ‘malarkey.’ And he too would be wrong.

Reuters has a poll out which found one-third of Californians are ready to secede from the union now that Donald Trump is president. There is already a move to get Calexit on the ballot in 2019. And last year Public Policy Polling found that 40% of Texans would consider secession if Clinton won the election. The war is real.

No it's not. Listen to Biden.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,974 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I live in the Pocono Mountains, US.
    Hmm. Explains the original account name.

alastair wrote: »
    No it's not. Listen to Biden.
    I have listened to Biden. Far tooooooooo often. Thankfully now I can cut back on my duct tape purchases.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,974 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

you can zoom in ...

WaPo did a study and found out what people will say about the color of a pen, so to speak.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monkey-cage/wp/2017/01/25/we-asked-people-which-inauguration-crowd-was-bigger-heres-what-they-said/?utm_term=.9aaa2e95b298

shrkaqka2vwcqvhmodcm.jpg

Overheal wrote: »

Looking at this image are a range of security cameras that are not made public see the poles . You can imagine the number of cameras around this building for a verification of crowd size .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

It is probably Germans buying it while they still can.

Yep, that's why the screenshot is in English and has prices in US dollars. :rolleyes:

Russians would find it far more useful...alas they don't have Amazon in their language. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Hate to get off the point but the Nazis were full of scientists that wanted to come up with cures for the German people as did the Soviet Union and all major powers and empires. Do what we say we know what's right. The US far right want to even leave the UN as they don't want to pay for aid in impoverished Africa & Asia. You cant force change on populations that for centuries have been living predominantly agrarian lifestyles and not expect resistance.

I have listened to Biden. Far tooooooooo often. Thankfully now I can cut back on my duct tape purchases.

You've obviously not cut back on the tinfoil though.

• Advertisement

rgossip30 wrote: »
    Looking at this image are a range of security cameras that are not made public see the poles . You can imagine the number of cameras around this building for a verification of crowd size .

Gawd help us. There were clearly fewer people there than in 2009. Get over it, and stop attempting to defend the indefensible.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement