Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

President 'The Donald' Trump and Surprising Consequences - Mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

Foreign policy???? Seriously?. Apart from Russia, Israel and maybe the UK (well the Tories), please do tell me which countries he hasn't pissed off.

Right now Trump looks to be the friend Britain needs since Brexit, as he’s determined to strike a free trade agreement with them in short order. And with the EU’s predictable demise, I'd say more will follow soon as fear of a EQ breakup continues. Also, Canada's pretty happy over the pipeline executive order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Amerika wrote: »
    things like the amount of people attending the inauguration.
    Spicer clarified afterwards that he meant TV audiences included (why he said in person and...)
    Anyway the number of people turning up at a rally on a normal working day is not a good indication of overall support. Its an indication of good support among (a) people who are local (b) people who aren't working, and (c) people who feel extremely strongly about the event, strong enough to spend their time and money traveling to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

recedite wrote: »
    Taiwan etc..
    Maybe its quicker to say which ones he has annoyed. China. Islamic State. Any others?
    Mexico, Germany, France.. Ah hell, here's a map:

donald-trump-offended.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

At one point during the campaign, there was a slim chance that Texas would go blue. A very slim chance, but it's not as stark a demarcation as you seem to believe.

And your view of people is an extremely shallow one.

Not really forcing electors from across a massive continent into one chamber and expecting them to solve the problems of the world is incredible arrogant. Let local authorities handle what they do best. Bloomberg and Giuliani decreased poverty and crime by promoting economic growth and civic pride. No need for Washington Congressional Committees to tell them how to govern their states & municipalities.

Spicer clarified afterwards that he meant TV audiences included (why he said in person and...)
    Ehhh no.

He said biggest both in person and on TV/online.

• Advertisement

For example, suppose I organise a march in Dublin in favour of water metering. How do you think the photos will look compared to photos of the anti water charge marchers? And what would that tell you? Not much.

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    Not really forcing electors from across a massive continent into one chamber and expecting them to solve the problems of the world is incredible arrogant. Let local authorities handle what they do best. Bloomberg and Giuliani decreased poverty and crime by promoting economic growth and civic pride. No need for Washington Congressional Committees to tell them how to govern their states & municipalities.
    WTF are you talking about?

Good luck with that son. I think, sorry scratch that, I know I'm wastiing my time now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Right now Trump looks to be the friend Britain needs since Brexit, as he’s determined to strike a free trade agreement with them in short order. And with the EU’s predictable demise, I'd say more will follow soon as fear of a EQ breakup continues. Also, Canada's pretty happy over the pipeline executive order.

Indeed Canada is mostly are happy. Apart from the pipes, they're appalled at Trump.

Trump looks to be the friend the Tories need especially May, who having changed her mind about Brexit for personal and party political gain, is like a rabbit caught in headlights. But sure look, far better she has an FTA with a protectionist country thousands of miles away rather than an FTA with a block of 27 countries 30 miles away. Yeah Trump will see her right.

Ehhh no.

He said biggest both in person and on TV/online.
    I don't know what "both" means to you, but to me it means combined figures.

Anyway the number of people turning up at a rally on a normal working day is not a good indication of overall support. Its an indication of good support among (a) people who are local (b) people who aren't working, and (c) people who feel extremely strongly about the event, strong enough to spend their time and money traveling to it.

Low attendance could be due to fear of being attacked or income saving. Lets do a cost benefit analysis of going to the Trump inauguration.

1) Reputation damage.
    2) risk of property damage.
    3) Too many cameras.
    4) Laziness.
    5) Too busy with family, business, mass or having sex.

Now the benefits.
    1) Show your support for your country.
    2) Your paid to go or are bused in.
    3) Good exercise traveling to Washington.

All in all it is better not to go to the inauguration as opposed sit down put your feet up have a nice drink and watch the show. Crowd numbers really are irrelevant determining how many watched. More accurate would be looking at the ratings from various news channels.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

One thing nobody talks about is Washington DC's population is about 70% Black. Pretty easily to determine Blacks would have gone to Obama's inauguration in great numbers since they were right there.

But again, what does it really matter?

For example, suppose I organise a march in Dublin in favour of water metering. How do you think the photos will look compared to photos of the anti water charge marchers? And what would that tell you? Not much.
    I think you're missing the point with this. It doesn't bloody matter what the crowd size was to me or to pretty much everyone else on the planet...

...except Donald J. Trump.

Somebody tweeted a picture of the two inaugurations side by side and he went baloobas about it. It was no more than a bit of trolling and he bit.

That's the actual story. The tweet would have been forgotten about in a nanosecond if he'd treated it with a laugh and a quip.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

He clearly said it was the biggest in person, and seperately, TV viewing numbers, both standalone and combined. Backing up what Trump had said earlier in the day when he insisted there were 1-1.5m people there in person, but then you already know this so not sure why I bothered replying.

Mexico, Germany, France.. Ah hell, here's a map:

donald-trump-offended.jpg
    Mexico, yes fair enough.
    UK, Syria looking forward to working with him.
    The rest of them; basically neutral towards him, apart from China
    Oh, and why is the USA against him on your map? I thought it was they who voted him in!

:D

Oh no it doesn't :D

It was the biggest crowd both in person and on TV is not the same as

It was the biggest crowd in person and on TV.

Or how about "both of the brothers are tall" is the same as "the brothers together are tall". :)

There's more than a bit of eats shoots and leaves about this. :rolleyes:

Mexico, yes fair enough.
    Ah yeah, but he's insulted them all. Australia even had a go at him in Parliament.

But I'm sure they'll swallow the insults in order to get what? The trade deals he's said he'll revoke?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Mexico, yes fair enough.

Sorry, with great respect, you don't know what you're talking about. Or you know what you're saying isn't true and you're just having a laugh. Which is it?

If their is a protest at the Mexican border he might just throw that lot out with the illegals. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Harika

I like it that Fox after the press conference today made it very clear that they or any other reliable source have never heard of that gigantic voter fraud. I think this was thrown out as Mexico is not paying for the wall as planned and the american tax payers are doing it. Also 15000 new hires for the state, **** small government :D. Now he is behaving like the usual republican, cut taxes and increase spending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Was living in Canada until a few months ago and probably am headed back that way later in the year. To say they're 'neutral' towards Trump is just f***ing laughable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,568 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Yeah...no, you'd be wrong about that.

Gintonious wrote: »
    Yeah...no, you'd be wrong about that.

The Canadian leader is. https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/29/world/canada/canada-trudeau-kinder-morgan-pipeline.html?_r=0

• Registered Users Posts: 11,568 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

KingBrian2 wrote: »

And he is becoming more unpopular within Canada, he is basically Harper with better hair and a tattoo who occasionally does yoga.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

I can’t help from laugh at the media’s obsession, and with people here and elsewhere, over things like the amount of people attending the inauguration, or how many people voted illegally, or the exact number of Carrier jobs Trump saved. The majority of American people don’t really care about the details. Trump’s inaugural speech was looked at favorably by the majority of voters, Trump won the election despite some voter fraud regardless of the numbers, and it doesn’t matter the exact number of jobs he saved at Carrier because the people see he’s fighting for American jobs.

Is he bombastic, does he bend the truth, is he crass, is he divisive… yes. But does that matter in the big picture when he will institute an increased level of economic growth, a reduction of most people’s income taxes as well as corporate taxes, realize a reduction in crime and violence, get a secure border, and experience a consistent and sustainable foreign policy?

The people will ignore the media as they try to distort the record of his administration as it's results that matter most. He is working hard and successfully (so far) to keep his campaign promises, and is installing a strong administration to reverse decades of national decline.

I've said it before here... that Trump might just end up being the best president this country has seen in modern times, and every day it looks to be happening.

Trump is a clown, and hasn't a hope of achieving any of the listed objectives above, unless he brings his mate Bill Clinton back in to show him how to actually manage some national growth. It'll otherwise be an administration that outdoes the usual Republican economic clusterf**k (not in a positive sense). It's actually shocking the level of ineptitude displayed so far.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

One thing nobody talks about is Washington DC's population is about 70% Black. Pretty easily to determine Blacks would have gone to Obama's inauguration in great numbers since they were right there.

But again, what does it really matter?
    DC, as far as voter statistics go, is just a tiny part of the area that most people will refer to as Washington DC. And the rest of the area around there isn't the same % of black population by any means. They still didn't vote for Trump though, but you know that already.

Does anyone know what would be beyond the pale for Trump?
    King Brian said earlier that Trump would behave appropriately when he becomes president. Does anyone think he's behaviour will change at all or will expectations of presidential behaviour be adjusted to whatever trump does?
    If he decided to continue US support of jihadist rebels in Syria.
    Or if there was another jihadist mass shooting on US soil, and he blamed the gun laws and the NRA.
    Or if he decided that so-called sanctuary city policies that violate federal law are a great idea.
    Trump's performance so far is exceeding all expectations. If he keeps this up, he'll have nothing left to do for the next few years :)

12 executive orders signed already.
    Jihadist immigration stalled, federal funding of "sanctuary" officials to be cut, The Wall project started, The stalled Canadian pipeline restarted but this time using all-American steel, moves to seek out illegal alien criminals and deport them, curb federal civil service waste and duplication of jobs, and most importantly; the economy going through the roof.

And that's after less than a week.....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Trump's performance so far is exceeding all expectations. If he keeps this up, he'll have nothing left to do for the next few years :)

12 executive orders signed already.
    Jihadist immigration stalled, federal funding of "sanctuary" officials to be cut, The Wall project started, The stalled Canadian pipeline restarted but this time using all-American steel, moves to seek out illegal alien criminals and deport them, curb federal civil service waste and duplication of jobs, and most importantly; the economy going through the roof.

And that's after less than a week.....

Complete nonsense, he's actually done nothing. And the economy can be squarely placed as Obama's achievement.
    • An order to ease the burden of the ACA doesn't replace it
    • An order to build the wall doesn't fund it
    • An order on the "Mexico City Policiy" to defund any foreign NGO that helps local women with abortions just shíts on the rights of women.
    • An order on the 2 pipelines just shíts all over the rights of the people whos land will be polluted.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭johnp001

TPP (and TTIP) trade deals abandoned which is something the progressives were very keen on in the Democratic primary campaign, so much so that Clinton had to disavow her previous support of the deal.
    SENATOR BERNIE SANDERS: THE TRANS-PACIFIC TRADE (TPP) AGREEMENT MUST BE DEFEATED
    The Trans-Pacific Partnership is a disastrous trade agreement designed to protect the interests of the largest multi-national corporations at the expense of workers, consumers, the environment and the foundations of American democracy. It will also negatively impact some of the poorest people in the world.
    The TPP is a treaty that has been written behind closed doors by the corporate world. Incredibly, while Wall Street, the pharmaceutical industry and major media companies have full knowledge as to what is in this treaty,
    the American people and members of Congress do not. They have been locked out of the process.
    Further, all Americans, regardless of political ideology, should be opposed to the “fast track” process which would deny Congress the right to amend the treaty and represent their constituents’ interests.
    The TPP follows in the footsteps of other unfettered free trade agreements like NAFTA, CAFTA and the Permanent Normalized Trade Agreement with China (PNTR). These treaties have forced American workers to compete against desperate and low-wage labor around the world. The result has been massive job losses in the United States and the shutting down of tens of thousands of factories. These corporately backed trade agreements have significantly contributed to the race to the bottom, the collapse of the American middle class and increased wealth and income inequality. The TPP is more of the same, but even worse.
    During my 23 years in Congress, I helped lead the fight against NAFTA and PNTR with China. During the coming session of Congress, I will be working with organized labor, environmentalists, religious organizations, Democrats, and Republicans against the secretive TPP trade deal.
    Let’s be clear: the TPP is much more than a “free trade” agreement. It is part of a global race to the bottom to boost the profits of large corporations and Wall Street by outsourcing jobs; undercutting worker rights; dismantling labor, environmental, health, food safety and financial laws; and allowing corporations to challenge our laws in international tribunals rather than our own court system. If TPP was such a good deal for America, the administration should have the courage to show the American people exactly what is in this deal, instead of keeping the content of the TPP a secret.
    More...

Inquitus wrote: »
    An order on the 2 pipelines just shíts all over the rights of the people whos land will be polluted.
    The land won't be polluted unless some terrorist blows up the pipeline, in which case I'm sure the Nimby's would be eligible for a large state compo payment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭Paleface

I seem to remember the GOP kicking up a right stink whenever Obama signed an executive order, accusing him of not respecting the fact that congress should be making the laws etc.

Not a problem now that Trump is doing it. He's up to 12 in total now after just 5 days. Obama only signed 19 in his first 100 days.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement