Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

President 'The Donald' Trump and Surprising Consequences - Mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

recedite wrote: »
    OK, I'm not sure if you will understand any of this but I will attempt to explain.
    Twitter is not supposed to be secure, it is designed to allow the user to disseminate info to the public.

Nice condescension (and well played, ignoring all the other stuff - cognitive dissonance got too painful?).

I guess if you've already decided that nothing is true unless the ego-in-chief has given you permission to believe it, this won't matter, but: the toddler in the Oval Office has set a precedent for carrying out international diplomacy (or lack thereof) over Twitter. I can understand why that fact coupled with the possibility of @POTUS being hacked by any Tom, Dick or Sergey wouldn't bother you, but those of us who don't check Trump's latest whims before deciding what to believe are troubled by the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

OK, I'm not sure if you will understand any of this but I will attempt to explain.
    Twitter is not supposed to be secure, it is designed to allow the user to disseminate info to the public.

Classified documents that Clinton had stored on her private e-mail server were not meant to be accessible by the general public.

When Trump tweets a link to classified documents, come back to me

Trump's habit of conducting international diplomacy over Twitter means that if anyone ever hacked his account they could start a war or play havoc with the global markets

"I have just launched air strikes against Chinese targets because of their continued hacking and climate change hoaxes @therealdonaldtrump"

If Obama's Twitter feed said that, most people would know its been hacked. With Trump, would you be sure it wasn't him?

Especially after his interview this week where he said he wouldn't discuss military activities before he starts them, he'd act first and explain afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭eire4

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    The electoral college was won by a landslide by him and unlike when Bush was elected and those who were irate Gore was cheated gave up their outrage after a while leaving only the nutty protesters to refuse to accept him. With President Trump now in office the banjaxed media continues to groan that Trump is a fraud. Democracy according to some is not served after an exhaustive campaign. It's not Trump's delinquencies it is the corp media for selling a con to the American public & American taxpayer.

The final electoral college vote was 306-232 Trump. Obama who got 332 electoral college votes in 2012 comes in 37th out of 57 in terms of percentage margin of victory within the electoral college. Richard Nixon got 301 in 1968 and comes 49th out of 57. So Trump comes in somewhere just ahead of Nixon at 49 hardly landslide territory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Akrasia wrote: »
    Trump's habit of conducting international diplomacy over Twitter means that if anyone ever hacked his account they could start a war or play havoc with the global markets

"I have just launched air strikes against Chinese targets because of their continued hacking and climate change hoaxes @therealdonaldtrump"

If Obama's Twitter feed said that, most people would know its been hacked. With Trump, would you be sure it wasn't him?

Especially after his interview this week where he said he wouldn't discuss military activities before he starts them, he'd act first and explain afterwards
    Suppose somebody appears on a CNN news feed wearing a rubber Trump mask and announces "I have just launched air strikes against Chinese targets because of their continued hacking and climate change hoaxes" ??
    I think that's why the Chinese and the Russians rely on their own missile detection systems.
    And as you correctly point out, nobody tells their enemy "Hey, I've just launched a missile, if you act quick you can still shoot it down".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

eire4 wrote: »
    The final electoral college vote was 306-232 Trump. Obama who got 332 electoral college votes in 2012 comes in 37th out of 57 in terms of percentage margin of victory within the electoral college. Richard Nixon got 301 in 1968 and comes 49th out of 57. So Trump comes in somewhere just ahead of Nixon at 49 hardly landslide territory.

Combine that with winning the Congress and court pickings he delivered the goods for his voters and did it with a smile.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭eire4

Combine that with winning the Congress and court pickings he delivered the goods for his voters and did it with a smile.:)

Considering that only 54% voted in the presidential election and only 33% at the last mid terms the current US house and senate and presidency represent the votes of less then half of Americans and that is not even getting into the gerrymandering of house districts and voter suppression such as cross check.

eire4 wrote: »
    Considering that only 54% voted in the presidential election and only 33% at the last mid terms the current US house and senate and presidency represent the votes of less then half of Americans and that is not even getting into the gerrymandering of house districts and voter suppression such as cross check.

America is presented with a binary choice and Trump swept aside the opposition in the primaries which matter. You deny democracy by saying he was not fully elected by the will of the people. The Democrats might cry and yell about their defeat it was in the Republican party which saw a complete shift away from est politicians to celebrity Trump. The media made a storm about his election and the incoming doom so the voters had plenty of time to get energized and go the voting booth to vote for Hillary. Had Hillary won we would have moved on by now with Trump as President the cries and yells only get louder.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Had Hillary won we would have moved on by now with Trump as President the cries and yells only get louder.

They didn't get their way so they just can't accept it. I remember the Clinton camp saying that Trump supporters should just accept her victory and move on when in their arrogance they were 100% sure that she had it in the bag. Democracy is only democracy as long as these shrill, whiny ''educated'' types get their own way.

Suppose somebody appears on a CNN news feed wearing a rubber Trump mask and announces "I have just launched air strikes against Chinese targets because of their continued hacking and climate change hoaxes" ??
    I think that's why the Chinese and the Russians rely on their own missile detection systems.
    And as you correctly point out, nobody tells their enemy "Hey, I've just launched a missile, if you act quick you can still shoot it down".

Are you serious? Rubber mask?

Anyway, I don't think it would likely start a war, but imagine the chaos on financial markets if there was a credible message from POTUS denouncing a country (currency) or a company (shares)

America is presented with a binary choice and Trump swept aside the opposition in the primaries which matter. You deny democracy by saying he was not fully elected by the will of the people. The Democrats might cry and yell about their defeat it was in the Republican party which saw a complete shift away from est politicians to celebrity Trump. The media made a storm about his election and the incoming doom so the voters had plenty of time to get energized and go the voting booth to vote for Hillary. Had Hillary won we would have moved on by now with Trump as President the cries and yells only get louder.

The DNC are as much to blame for Trump as anyone else. Clinton would have lost to Sanders in a fair fight, And Sanders would have creamed Trump.

Watching him in the senate confirmation hearings, it's such a bitter experience.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Are you serious? Rubber mask?

Anyway, I don't think it would likely start a war, but imagine the chaos on financial markets if there was a credible message from POTUS denouncing a country (currency) or a company (shares)
    He's already managed to wipe millions of the stock value of various companies with his tweets during the transition about military contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,435 ✭✭✭✭Water John

We in Ireland can well judge his lies.
    The EU, whom he blames had no input to his planning difficulties in Doonbeg. All his planning was dealt with by Clare County Council.
    This is blatantly untrue. It is not alternative facts.

robinph wrote: »
    He's already managed to wipe millions of the stock value of various companies with his tweets during the transition about military contracts.

And don't think he hasn't noticed. I will be really surprised if we don't find out about trump insiders short selling stocks before trump tweets that devalue that stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Why is there such a rampant love in for trump on boards? Whatever about him being a pretty despicable human being, do these people realise that many of his policies are very very bad news for Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

And don't think he hasn't noticed. I will be really surprised if we don't find out about trump insiders short selling stocks before trump tweets that devalue that stock.

More crazy conspiracy theories. You need to loosen your tin foil hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Bazzo wrote: »
    Why is there such a rampant love in for trump on boards? Whatever about him being a pretty despicable human being, do these people realise that many of his policies are very very bad news for Ireland?

There's not. You're just looking at a couple of fringe fans, who represent nothing more than a niche minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭moneymad

Ireland needs to learn to stand on it's own 2 feet. He has every right to bring jobs back to America.

Not all of his policies are all bad. He's mostly a symptom of the financial crisis and had anyone other than Clinton gone up against him the Dems would have won.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

moneymad wrote: »
    Ireland needs to learn to stand on it's own 2 feet. He has every right to bring jobs back to America.

Agree, Each country should focus on it's own natural resources and sustainable strengths. It's for their own good, and thus the greater good.

Along with strong arts, culture, agriculture and fishing, Ireland has one of the well educated and youthful workforce's anywhere. The currency of ideas and innovation (mostly via science, engineering and technology) will begin to hold the most value in the coming age of automation.

Saying that, Ireland is also the main 1st port East of America with great commonality, so makes some sense as an in-between point of trade between both continents, and the Don should bear that in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

moneymad wrote: »
    There are very good reasons why those jobs are here. If US companies want to sell into here and Europe, they have to be here. Otherwise they won't be as competitive and those jobs blow away with the wind.

These companies move their jobs back to the US and they lose their market share. We benefit from them being here, sure. But they're not doing it just to give us jobs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,417 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Agree, Each country should focus on it's own natural resources and sustainable strengths. It's for their own good, and thus the greater good.

And the opposite could be argued to be in favour of 'the greater good'. If we don't start cooperating globally, you may forget about our species surviving.

Our economic systems are now so complex that, causing isolation by things such as protectionism, could in fact collapse the global economy

More crazy conspiracy theories. You need to loosen your tin foil hat.

Its not a conspiracy theory to suggest that individuals close to the president could make an enormous amount of money by knowing in advance which companies he's going to mention in his twitter splurges (splurge is the best word I could think of to describe it) knowing that it will have an immediate effect on their stock prices.

Trump sometimes dictates his tweets to an aide rather than sends them himself. If they take 15 minutes to talk to a High frequency trader before the tweet gets sent, they could make a fortune.

It normally wouldn't apply to a POTUS because a normal POTUS doesn't send late night tweets saying that he's going to cancel billion dollar contracts with specific companies

• Registered Users Posts: 12,998 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Valord wrote: »
    Since WW2 ended, Russia and the US have never been "allies". And Obama was far from the only politician in the US to be wary of Putin. Until Trump came along, being anti-Putin was one of the few bipartisan issues left in American politics. Mitt Romney in a 2012 presidential debate named Russia as America's greatest enemy.
    Russia could, in all likelihood, take back a fair section of the former USSR in an invasion, because it has the world's second most powerful military and a nuclear arsenal. Israel can't.
    Romney's position on Russia came up again today with Bill Maher publishing an apology of sorts for the way he and other liberals reacted to Romney's 2012 comments:
    Back in 2012, candidate Mitt Romney said that “Russia …is without question, our number one geopolitical foe. They fight every cause for the world’s worst actors.” And the left went in to full eye roll mode. Obama mocked Romney by saying, “The 1980s are now calling to ask for their foreign policy back. Because the Cold War’s been over for 20 years.” Hillary called Romney’s comments “dated.” John Kerry said, “Mitt Romney talks like he’s only seen Russia by watching ‘Rocky IV.’” Joe Biden piled on. Liberal commentators piled on. Everyone piled on. But, it turns out Mitt was right. Russia is our number one geopolitical foe. And they just helped elect our president.
    I think the key thing to remember about Putin's actions are that they are driven by Russian internal politics and money. I doubt that Putin has an interest in actually taking over the Baltic states, but rather in showing the Russian people that he could, that he could Make Russia Great Again. Given that, Trump may be on to something with his flattery of Putin and Russia. Allow them to enjoy their delusions of relevance.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭rgossip30

robinph wrote: »

The Russian stock market is performing well .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

There are very good reasons why those jobs are here. If US companies want to sell into here and Europe, they have to be here. Otherwise they won't be as competitive and those jobs blow away with the wind.

These companies move their jobs back to the US and they lose their market share. We benefit from them being here, sure. But they're not doing it just to give us jobs.

Agreed. Some of the big companies are here to use Ireland to launder their money and pay small corporation tax and little or no other taxes, legitimately of course, as the Government allows it. Trump should not be upset about that as he pays no tax himself.

Water John wrote: »
    We in Ireland can well judge his lies.
    The EU, whom he blames had no input to his planning difficulties in Doonbeg. All his planning was dealt with by Clare County Council.
    This is blatantly untrue. It is not alternative facts.
    But there are alternative facts.
    Last June, in its request for further information, Clare County Council stated it did not have sufficient scientific evidence that would allow it conclude that the barrier would not adversely impact on the integrity of the EU designated Carrowmore Dunes Special Area of Conservation (SAC) at the site.
    The council made a request for 51 separate items on the contentious proposal.
    “The request for further information was significant and if we were to undergo that process, it would take a substantial amount of time. That is time which we don’t have,” Mr Russell said.
    A basic Irish planning application takes 8 weeks, if not complicated by other matters such as those arising out of EU directives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭rgossip30

http://www.thepoliticalinsider.com/newspaper-editor-claims-easiest-way-assassinate-trump/

Do such comments and aspirations really help , sore losers .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

rgossip30 wrote: »
    http://www.thepoliticalinsider.com/newspaper-editor-claims-easiest-way-assassinate-trump/

Do such comments and aspirations really help , sore losers .

Probably one of the easiest ways to clean up this mess for all concerned, Pence takes over the Presidency, GOP Senate and Congress are off the hook for all Trump's empty and meaningless executive orders, normal service would be resumed. Not saying I advocate it but its a valid point.

Its not a conspiracy theory to suggest that individuals close to the president could make an enormous amount of money by knowing in advance which companies he's going to mention in his twitter splurges (splurge is the best word I could think of to describe it) knowing that it will have an immediate effect on their stock prices.

Trump sometimes dictates his tweets to an aide rather than sends them himself. If they take 15 minutes to talk to a High frequency trader before the tweet gets sent, they could make a fortune.

It normally wouldn't apply to a POTUS because a normal POTUS doesn't send late night tweets saying that he's going to cancel billion dollar contracts with specific companies
    You're talking about insiders using information to make money on the stock markets. But that can happen anyway. In fact, by making his thoughts freely available on Twitter before any executive actions, Trump is actually giving the ordinary citizen some insight into what might happen. As opposed to just "the Washington elite" knowing.

Like your previous suggestion that somebody might hack his twitter account and pretend to launch a missile strike, your argument seems to be against "the new media" which often bypasses the traditional press and other insiders.
    But none of your arguments can come up with a new problem created by Trumps use of new media, which did not exist before in some existing variant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

You're talking about insiders using information to make money on the stock markets. But that can happen anyway. In fact, by making his thoughts freely available on Twitter before any executive actions, Trump is actually giving the ordinary citizen some insight into what might happen. As opposed to just "the Washington elite" knowing.

Like your previous suggestion that somebody might hack his twitter account and pretend to launch a missile strike, your argument seems to be against "the new media" which often bypasses the traditional press and other insiders.
    But none of your arguments can come up with a new problem created by Trumps use of new media, which did not exist before in some existing variant.

I really think it's not wise for Trump to be using Twitter. He is in a unique position now and addictive as to Twitter as he may be, he has plenty to do with the job.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement