Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

President 'The Donald' Trump and Surprising Consequences - Mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Harika wrote: »
    Asian immigrants to the USA have a reputation for being well behaved and becoming model citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

recedite wrote: »
    So you're saying that these 3.3 million Muslims are likely to produce more terrorist attacks? Now you are the one generalising about all Muslims.
    I did the exact opposite. I said it just takes one nutcase with a gun.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Harika wrote: »
    Asian immigrants to the USA have a reputation for being well behaved and becoming model citizens.
    Irish immigrants to the USA have a reputation for being drunk and overstaying their visas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭rgossip30

robinph wrote: »
    Irish immigrants to the USA have a reputation for being drunk and overstaying their visas.

Deport them as job vacancies need to filled here .

• Registered Users Posts: 21,435 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Yeah, some Irish person to replace my binman, who is Polish. Send him back to his own country. He might even be muslim. Should have checked that with him.

• Advertisement

robinph wrote: »
    Maybe, but no Irishman has ever bombed a US city, or shot up a shopping mall, while shouting "IRA IRA".

Maybe, but no Irishman has ever bombed a US city, or shot up a shopping mall, while shouting "IRA IRA".

Lets say that did happen, an Irishman nutcase shoots up a shopping mall as a protest for a united ireland.

Should all Irish people be deported or banned from entering the US?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Akrasia wrote: »
    Lets say that did happen, an Irishman nutcase shoots up a shopping mall as a protest for a united ireland.

Chechens were responsible for the Boston Marathon bombing. Not seeing them on the list.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

For the record, Islamic terrorist attacks in the USA are linked with nationals of certain anti-American countries (and also it has to be said, Saudi Arabia). Most Muslims, for example Black Americans and Indonesian Muslim immigrants are completely unaffected by this executive order.
    So Saudies are ok, because supporting extreme intolerant versions of Islam which has radicalised millions is ok, funding them is ok and being the main source of terrorists for 9/11 does in no way show they have any anti American history; as is Pakistan because we know there has not been a single terrorist coming from that region or hiding there. But God Damn it those Iranians and their doing not a single attack on US soil they have to be stopped at all cost!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

looksee wrote: »
    This directly concerns Ireland in that the ban is being operated in Dublin and Shannon at the US pre-clearance desks. Ireland should not allow this to happen, afaik it contravenes international agreements on refugees.

...aah Shannon.
    A lot of things happen at and go through Shannon which shouldn't.
    But we like to turn the other eye.

• Advertisement

Donal55 wrote: »
    ...aah Shannon.
    A lot of things happen at and go through Shannon which shouldn't.
    But we like to turn the other eye.

Govt -"There is no evidence of extraordinary rendition through shannon"

Protestors - "What about all those CIA planes"

Govt - "There are no prisoners on them"

Protestors "How do you know?"

Govt - "Because the CIA said so"

Protestors "Have you inspected the planes?

Govt -"No"

Protestors "Why not?"

Govt - "Because there's no evidence of prisoners on those planes"

Protestors "Thats because you're deliberately not looking for any"

Govt - "There's no evidence that we should be looking for evidence"

Protestors "But these planes are recorded and documented to have been involved in extraordinary rendition"

Govt -"but there's no evidence Ireland was involved"

Protestors "because you're not searching the planes...."

The Irish have a proven track record in willfully ignoring breaches of human rights committed by the U.S. in Ireland.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Btw; since this is about stopping Terrorists here's the break down of foreign fighters in Syria:
    20140830_MAC990_2.png
    Note how the list in no way matches with Trump's ban list?

Or how about support of ISIS expressed on twitter?
    MW-DZ542_statis_20151118113403_NS.jpg?uuid=2db657f6-8e12-11e5-90f2-0015c588e0f6

But hey; many they are simply many foreigners from one country due to population fighting in ISIS, right? Let's see...
    150624-is-fighters-chart2.jpg?itok=j2bdMQip

Nope; still no match with Trump's list.

But it could be the once in favour of ISIS right?
    main-qimg-3b4ab25eecf997d98d9f2b8732a3ec6e?convert_to_webp=true
    Nope.

Ok, but Trump would not lie and make things up so it's who's funding ISIS then clearly.
    article-2731097-20B15F6B00000578-53_634x466.jpg
    Nope.

So in short Trump has made up a complete BS list of countries to block for no reason except he heard some guy mention the countries as bad without any facts behind it.

Those are just Alternative facts

Regarding the twitter infographic, I think Iran banned Twitter in 2015 so that might be why they're not on the list
    But even still, the list does not match Trump's

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

This current situation highlights a stupid policy enacted by the DFA whereby they record in Irish passports, the country of birth rather than the City.

Any Irish citizen who was born in Hong Kong, for instance, will have their place of birth in their Irish passport as China. Which is stupid.

If Trump gets into a spat with China, which is highly likely, he might place a ban on people with Chinese nationality entering the US. Could be fun for any Irish people born in Hong Kong trying to enter the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

To be fair to Trump, most of us expected a whole lot of crazy. We have not been disappointed. What next?

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    To be fair to Trump, most of us expected a whole lot of crazy. We have not been disappointed. What next?

A lot more of the same and then WW3.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

cnocbui wrote: »
    This current situation highlights a stupid policy enacted by the DFA whereby they record in Irish passports, the country of birth rather than the City.

Any Irish citizen who was born in Hong Kong, for instance, will have their place of birth in their Irish passport as China. Which is stupid.

If Trump gets into a spat with China, which is highly likely, he might place a ban on people with Chinese nationality entering the US. Could be fun for any Irish people born in Hong Kong trying to enter the US.

My passport states the city I was born in.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,073 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Can you imagine Trump being invited for a state visit to dine with the Queen. I know for a fact the Queen would not allow him in her home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Calina wrote: »
    My passport states the city I was born in.

Is that an instance where the city and country have the same name?

Mine does not and I had an argument with them over the phone about it but they said that was their policy and I could lump it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

mayo.mick wrote: »
    C3VUF7vUkAAHuB6.jpg

What incidences are the last few stats referring to? United Arab Emirates killed 314 American citizens for example. Where and when was this? And Egypt?

It seems to be missing Afghanistan, I wonder why?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,073 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Is this some made up ''alternative fact '' ?
    I mean Somali pirates have killed Americans, are these stats for Americans killed in America ?

Is this some made up ''alternative fact '' ?
    I mean Somali pirates have killed Americans, are these stats for Americans killed in America ?
    I imagine they must be. After all, a visa ban isn't going to do diddley squat for US citizens abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Trump's up first order of the day, slag the NY Times

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/825690087857995776

Second order of the day defend the Immigration Shambles

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/825692045532618753

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Inquitus wrote: »
    Trump's up first order of the day, slag the NY Times

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/825690087857995776

Second order of the day defend the Immigration Shambles

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/825692045532618753

It's a pity the Republicians did not have extreme vetting when it came to the selection of a candidate for the Presidency.

Akrasia wrote: »
    If Irish terrorism was happening repeatedly in the USA, then yes, Irish citizens should be put on the list for "extreme vetting". Not an outright ban. Trumps current order allows for visas to be given to people from the listed countries on a case-by-case basis, so is not an outright ban either.
    Chechens were responsible for the Boston Marathon bombing. Not seeing them on the list.
    You might see them on the list soon. Its a preliminary list.
    Fake news. Lots of US citizens have been killed in Iraq, Syria and Somalia, both servicemen and civilian hostages.
    Nody wrote: »
    Btw; since this is about stopping Terrorists here's the break down of foreign fighters in Syria:
    20140830_MAC990_2.png
    Note how the list in no way matches with Trump's ban list?
    Fake news. I suggest an Alternative Fact; There are lots of Iranians fighting and dying in the Syria war.

From what I can see, your "fact sheet" only purports to show foreign fighters who are fighting for IS, (which itself is not in the habit of releasing accurate records to the global media). Therefore it is a table of meaningless guesswork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    It's a pity the Republicians did not have extreme vetting when it came to the selection of a candidate for the Presidency.

They're already on it!
    There have been reasons to worry about other presidents’ mental health. Lyndon B. Johnson’s senior aides were so concerned about his behavior that they consulted psychiatrists. Nixon in the throes of Watergate was drunk and unstable, so much so that his defense secretary, James Schlesinger, reportedly ordered the military not to respond to White House orders without approval from him or the secretary of state. Still, other presidents’ outbursts occurred behind closed doors, and there was some hope that aides would intervene. Trump’s inner circle seems divided between enablers and inciters.

What is to be done? In a meeting last week with The Post editorial board, Jason Chaffetz (R-Utah), chair of the House Oversight Committee, said he was weighing legislation to require presidents to undergo an independent medical examination, including for mental health. Chaffetz cautioned that he wasn’t “talking about some of the rhetoric that’s flying around” about Trump. Still, he said, “If you’re going to have your hands on the nuclear codes, you should probably know what kind of mental state you’re in.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/trumps-erratic-first-week-was-among-the-most-alarming-in-history/2017/01/27/c6405144-e4b9-11e6-a453-19ec4b3d09ba_story.html

This is the same Chaffetz that pledged to keep on investigating Hillary Clinton's emails until the heat death of the universe.

If Irish terrorism was happening repeatedly in the USA, then yes, Irish citizens should be put on the list for "extreme vetting". Not an outright ban. Trumps current order allows for visas to be given to people from the listed countries on a case-by-case basis, so is not an outright ban either.
    What terrorism by citizens of the banned list countries has been happening repeatedly in the US?
    You might see them on the list soon. Its a preliminary list.
    Comrade Vladimir may not like this. But yeah, go for it Donald. :)
    Fake news. Lots of US citizens have been killed in Iraq, Syria and Somalia, both servicemen and civilian hostages.
    In the context of a visa ban? How useful exactly is that going to be, to prevent those deaths?
    Fake news. I suggest an Alternative Fact; There are lots of Iranians fighting and dying in the Syria war.
    Again. How does the visa ban have any effect there?

• Advertisement

From what I can see, your "fact sheet" only purports to show foreign fighters who are fighting for IS, (which itself is not in the habit of releasing accurate records to the global media). Therefore it is a table of meaningless guesswork.
    Sorry but can you try to at least have a basic understanding of the topic you discuss? ISIS sees ALL Shia Muslims as apostates who should be killed; so yes I'd not be surprised if Iranian fights in Syria but they would be fighting AGAINST ISIS not for them. You've also conveniently not bothered to answer why Jordan, Saudi Arabia and the Chechnya and surrounding countries are not on the list who are the main source of Foreign fighters FOR ISIS.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement