Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

President 'The Donald' Trump and Surprising Consequences - Mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

rgossip30 wrote: »
    The guy is still a rookie give him a break .
    Meh. He's had decades of experience being a privileged narcissist.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,978 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The guy is still a rookie give him a break .

Laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

SO Trump can do what he likes?
    What can stop him if he violates the American Constitution over and over again. What would it take to have him impeached, it is even possible?
    I was all for Trump but now I see I was very wrong. So many have voter regret.

If he violates the constitution his orders will be challenged in the courts.

The worst case scenario would be if he had some excuse to declare a state of emergency and then try to railroad through measures that would not get through the normal process.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,568 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Even the Kochs don't approve.
    The conservative Koch political network - a mega-donor to the Republican party, with strong links to the Trump administration - has denounced the new president’s immigration order.

Spokesman Brian Hooks said in a statement: "The travel ban is the wrong approach and will likely be counterproductive. We believe it is possible to keep Americans safe without excluding people who wish to come here to contribute and pursue a better life for their families."

The statement came as the Koch network gathered for its conference in Palm Springs, California.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

The Republican party is not fit for office. The disasterous policies of Dubya Bush should have been consigned to history. Unfortunately, they haven't and the Republican party is as vile as ever. A political wing of racist terrorists is what it has become. This party is not fit to be in government and should be listed as a terrorist organisation until it eradicates all tinges of KKK and other racism from it.

• Advertisement

The white house press secretary has humiliated himself by agreeing with a The Onion tweet that said

"@SeanSpicer's role in the Trump administration will be to provide the American public with robust and clearly articulated misinformation"

https://www.joe.ie/news/donald-trumps-press-secretary-made-eejit-twitter/575370?utm_source=whatsapp&utm_campaign=onsite_share

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Someone made the fair point that if Irish people abroad engaged in acts of terrorism and shouted in the name of Ireland then Irish people would be picked on. That would sound reasonable. I would be shamed of such actions & declarations. I would also expect the country in which said terrorism occurred to take measures to protect their citizens not internment or mass arrests, certainly increased border control & an aggressive approach to terrorists that cause unbelievable damage to a society.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

When exactly did the USA turn into a nation of snivelling cowards afraid of their own shadows?

16195669_10154042204942471_6886749046235354564_n.jpg?oh=999bcfbb1be32f0dd27a15cbb94c803c&oe=590D7F24

That aside, this is an interesting insight into the legal sh*tshow that the Muslim ban executive order is. And before it's dismissed as the wailings of a bleeding heart libtard:
    As readers of my work know, I believe in strong counterterrorism powers. I defend non-criminal detention. I’ve got no problem with drone strikes. I’m positively enthusiastic about American surveillance policies. I was much less offended than others were by the CIA’s interrogations in the years after September 11. I have defended military commissions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭rgossip30

Overheal wrote: »
    Laughable.

This is what the American people voted for like it or lump it .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,938 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

This is what the American people voted for like it or lump it .

So? What part of that means that Trump is owed a break?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭weisses

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    Someone made the fair point that if Irish people abroad engaged in acts of terrorism and shouted in the name of Ireland then Irish people would be picked on. That would sound reasonable. I would be shamed of such actions & declarations. I would also expect the country in which said terrorism occurred to take measures to protect their citizens not internment or mass arrests, certainly increased border control & an aggressive approach to terrorists that cause unbelievable damage to a society.
    Except this minor point...
    he New America Foundation, a Washington think tank that promotes data-driven research for social and economic policy, did an analysis of "homegrown extremism" since 2000. The foundation compiled data on 499 extremists, who either adhered to jihadist ideology inspired by al-Qaida or were motivated by right- or left-wing political beliefs. This database includes attacks as well as those accused of terrorism-related offenses, such as plotting attacks or fundraising.

New America found that about 64 percent of the extremists were U.S.-born citizens and 80 percent were either American-born or naturalized citizens. The database shows eight out of 499 extremists were illegal residents; all eight were jihadists.

"Empirically, domestic terrorism is carried out by citizens—not immigrants—with right-wing terrorism, racial hate crimes, and the sovereign-citizen movement making up a majority of domestic terrorist incidents," said Joel Day, assistant professor of security and global studies at the University of Massachusetts Lowell. "Other domestic incidents have indeed been carried out by those who came here through legal channels.’’
    Link for full report.The terrorists are not coming in willy nilly from the Mexican border; they are already in USA and have the full citizens rights of everyone else in the USA in the first place. Ergo the focus should be focusing on how and why American citizens get radicalised and how to prevent it if you want to actually reduce the terrorist attacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

So? What part of that means that Trump is owed a break?

he's still going through his honeymoon period, give him some leeway

fryup wrote: »

I thought the honeymoon was supposed to be the best period ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

oscarBravo wrote: »
    When exactly did the USA turn into a nation of snivelling cowards afraid of their own shadows?

16195669_10154042204942471_6886749046235354564_n.jpg?oh=999bcfbb1be32f0dd27a15cbb94c803c&oe=590D7F24

That aside, this is an interesting insight into the legal sh*tshow that the Muslim ban executive order is. And before it's dismissed as the wailings of a bleeding heart libtard:

Yeah but you can't ban lightning and gravity! :pac: Of course they could do something about armed toddlers...hmmm

I thought the honeymoon was supposed to be the best period ?
    Yeah, normally it's the period when the new president can do no wrong.

Ahem... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Yeah, normally it's the period when the new president can do no wrong.

Ahem... :D

I suspect most lie low at first is the reason .

China and Russia are more worrying . Islands in the South China sea just islands .

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.
    What happens when he turns on his own party?

Not yet ten days in office.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

A petition to cancel Trump's official state visit to the UK has already reached over 800,000 signatures in the space of half a day. That's well over 1% of the entire population of the UK. In less than a day.
    Yes, let's hear what some of these vile racist terrorists have to say.

Rep. Charlie Dent (R-Pa.):

"This 90-day ban could imperil the lives of this family and potentially others, and it’s unacceptable, and I urge the administration to halt enforcement of this order until a more thoughtful and deliberate policy can be reinstated."

Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.):

"It’s unacceptable when even legal permanent residents are being detained or turned away at airports and ports of entry. Enhancing long-term national security requires that we have a clear-eyed view of radical Islamic terrorism without ascribing radical Islamic terrorist views to all Muslims."

Rep. Justin Amash (R-Mich.):

"President Trump's executive order overreaches and undermines our constitutional system... It’s not lawful to ban immigrants on basis of nationality."

Sen. Ben Sasse (R-Neb.):

"If we send a signal to the Middle East that the U.S. sees all Muslims as jihadis, the terrorist recruiters win by telling kids that America is banning Muslims and that this is America versus one religion.”

Sen. Susan Collins (R-ME):

"A preference should not be given to people who practice a particular religion, nor should a greater burden be imposed on people who practice a particular religion. As I stated last summer, religious tests serve no useful purpose in the immigration process and run contrary to our American values."

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz) and Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC):

"We should not stop green-card holders from returning to the country they call home. We should not stop those who have served as interpreters for our military and diplomats from seeking refuge in a country they risked their lives to help. And we should not turn our backs on those refugees who have been shown through extensive vetting to pose no demonstrable threat to our nation, and who have suffered unspeakable horrors, most of them women and children."

While the post you were responding to was unnecessarily hyperbolic, Republicans have a lot to answer for. The vast majority of them are keeping their mouth shut, turning a blind eye and toeing the line while this madman claiming to represent them continues on his political rampage causing increasingly irreparable damage to the reputation and influence of their nation on a daily basis.

• Advertisement

Bazzo wrote: »
    A petition to cancel Trump's official state visit to the UK has already reached over 800,000 signatures in the space of half a day. That's well over 1% of the entire population of the UK. In less than a day.

While the post you were responding to was unnecessarily hyperbolic, Republicans have a lot to answer for. The vast majority of them are keeping their mouth shut, turning a blind eye and toeing the line while this madman claiming to represent them continues on his political rampage causing increasingly irreparable damage to the reputation and influence of their nation on a daily basis.

Most likely those who voted to stay in the EU .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

This post had been deleted.

With respect, the GOP is far greater than the dozen or so politicians who've publicly condemned the Order.

VP Pence declared such a ban 'unconstitutional' a few months ago. Where is his statement denouncing the ban?

Paul Ryan is one of the most powerful people on the Hill and 3rd in line to the Presidency, where is his statement?

In fact, why are there only a dozen or so GOP members denouncing an Order that is fundamentally contrary to the values of freedom and freedom from religious persecution that they are supposed to treasure so much?

This is more than just a GOP v Dems battle though, and there's probably Democrats who've stayed silent like cowards. But this should not be something anybody in politics agrees with, red or blue. It is blatantly un-American yet the majority of high-ranking republicans stay silent like the crooked cowards they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

trump's approval ratings continue to tank while his disapproval ratings soar at an astronomical pace.

https://twitter.com/williamjordann/status/825781634330980352

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

I don't see what the issue is. Trump explicitly stated he would ban Muslims from entering the US, and people voted for that.

If you see a load of snakes heading towards your house, you don't let them in and then throw them out. You just keep them out in the first instance. It's called being proactive.

KingBrian2 wrote: »

There are plenty of attempted bombings by NI dissidents every year. Some are successful. We deal with them as criminal matters and target the individuals involved, we don't close the borders or implement 'extreme vetting' on all NI citizens

• Registered Users Posts: 82,978 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

He just needs to hold out for another 24 days and he won't be the shortest term president in history. Can he do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

I don't see what the issue is. Trump explicitly stated he would ban Muslims from entering the US, and people voted for that.

If you see a load of snakes heading towards your house, you don't let them in and then throw them out. You just keep them out in the first instance. It's called being proactive.

TIL 1/7 of humans are snakes.

fryup wrote: »

Says the man who rapes his wife on the night of their arranged wedding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Akrasia wrote: »
    Says the man who rapes his wife on the night of their arranged wedding

I don't know how you would know that.