Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

President 'The Donald' Trump and Surprising Consequences - Mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Harika

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Personally I think Tillerson didn't do so bad, not as good as David Mattis who got a bipartisan approval. But the real test for reps will be likes of Betsy Devos, who is clearly unfit to do her job, what she showed clearly in the first hearing.
    Will a Republican speak out against her?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Making American companies create American jobs:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38793248

Oh!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Harking back to the OP for a moment:
    Trump has to think long and hard about what has to be done and should form a government of moderate competent people who can get what needs to be done properly.

I can't decide if this is funny, scary or just

Sad!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Here you go:

I love how he still hasn't deleted it either.

It's unbelievable though. He called it 'unconstitutional' and yet stays silent on it now, much like the majority of republicans, and then posters like Permabear sit around here trying to defend the GOP simply because a couple of Rep. politicians have spoken out, as if it makes it all ok.

Just cause a dozen or so speak out does not make the GOP look any less legitimate than before, yet I'm told to stop bashing them just because a very small, very quiet minority speak out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Inquitus wrote: »
    Just to give closure on the Iranian Glaswegian who was stuck in Costa Rica due to Trumps immigrant order and her flight home transiting via JFK. Someone set up a go fund me page last night which was funded in 33 minutes, they bought her alternate flights home and gave the excess 5k to a Glasgow refugee charity

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-38788116
    Hopefully she will use her British passport next time (if she actually has one) and save those poor mugs a lot of money.
    Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Yes indeed, thanks for that. Executive orders without debate or any censure from Congress is not a good thing IMO, especially with an unbalanced individual going gung ho without thought or consultation.
    You don't understand the concept of the separation of powers then. The US system is one of the best. In Ireland, the Taoiseach normally controls both the govt. and the Dail at the same time. And the judiciary are all political appointees.
    alastair wrote: »
    The ISIS-inspired/aligned attacks within the US have resulted in deaths in two very well known instances - the San Bernardino couple who killed their work colleages (14 dead), the Orlando club massacre, and which may or may not have actually had anything with ISIS, given the mental state of the perpetrator, which killed 49, and aside from that, there's a teneous suggestion that the Ohio State University attack, which killed no-one aside from the attacker, might have been ISIS-inspired. So this, over the ten years that the chart represents amounts to an average of 6.3 deaths per year in the US possibly motivated by an ISIS allegiance.
    Or you could say 0.63 deaths over 100 years.
    Or you could say 63 deaths in one year.
    It depends on how honest you want to be with your stats.
    Oh, and did you forget about the Boston marathon?

• Advertisement

So we've had the wall and the muslim ban, as promised.

What's next?

Attack sanctuary cities - in progress.

Deport 11 million people - I believe this one.

Eliminate the Department of Education - his selection of DeVos is in line here.

Eliminate the EPA - again, consistent with his appointments.

Get rid of Obamacare - on track

Rebuild infrastructure - nah.

Defund Planned Parenthood - yup.

Heavy surveillance on mosques - I expect this is already happening, the FBI seem to have his back

Prosecute Hillary Clinton - no, just kidding there

Defund NASA - will get major Republican pushback - big pork barrel

Work with Russia in Syria - looks on track

Bomb ISIS and seize Iraqi oilfields - seems to be still thinking about that one, mentioned it at the CIA.

Kill terrorists families - I believe it.

Torture people - still in favour

Dump the deal with Iran - not yet

Fire the admins at the VA and revamp it - I believe the first part.

Bring jobs back from China - ha ha ha.

Challenge China - in progress from Day One

Bully Ford, Apple and Nabisco to make stuff in USA - ha ha ha

Deregulate Wall Street - I believe this one

Cut corporation tax, repatriate corporate profits with a yuge tax giveaway - I believe this one.

Get rid of gun-free zones in schools - bonkers, but I'm sure he will try. See DeVos and her comment about needing guns to repel grizzlies from schools.

Any other big ones?

Any other big ones?

THE WALL!!! - in progress

Let Mexico pay for it - in brainstorming phase

Anyway I was thinking, if I would be GM, Ford or anyone else, Trump calls me and orders me to move production from Mexico to US. Would I do it? I would not, as such a factory is ****ty expensive, so I just invested several billions in this plant to give it up? And with all madness going on, will he be re-elected or will someone else demolish this BS of him? Very likely, so I would do as Ford did and promise him to create some jobs, that I anyway wanted to create and have him of my back. Or demolish a plant I never intended to move forward to gain time.

Seems like the executive order had nothing to do with the problems at the airports, it was Skynet, ehm Computers.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/826041397232943104

He is comedy gold, hilarious, comedians won't even have to identify material for sketches the next years, he writes it for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,421 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Harika wrote: »
    He is comedy gold, hilarious, comedians won't even have to identify material for sketches the next years, he writes it for them.

any good comedians out there, tearing him to pieces?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

recedite wrote: »
    Or you could say 0.63 deaths over 100 years.
    Or you could say 63 deaths in one year.
    It depends on how honest you want to be with your stats.
    Oh, and did you forget about the Boston marathon?

The Boston marathon bombings were not perpetrated by ISIS inspired or affiliated people. And all the stats in the chart are averaged over ten years, so it's an entirely honest figure. Keep in mind that 49 of those deaths are accountable to a man who struggled with his sexuality, was mentally unstable, and may well have just used a claim of an affinity to ISIS as a flag of convenience.

• Advertisement

Hopefully she will use her British passport next time (if she actually has one) and save those poor mugs a lot of money.

She hasn't got a British passport. She has UK residency. Nice empathy though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    More making a mockery of him than tearing him to pieces, though I can think of one in particular who Trump consistently loses his sh*t about every few weeks on Twitter, typically on a Saturday night. :D

Bill Maher

Seth Meyers

Samantha Bee

Trevor Noah

And I am not watching all of them, but I assume Conan, Kimmel and Colbert will be also on the money.

Happy productive Monday! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

It's a smokescreen. I've stopped paying attention to the bollocks he talks in public; rather I look at what he's doing.

Want to know what he's doing?
    July 8, 2016 - Trump associate Carter Page visits Moscow and receives an offer of equity from Russia in a massive Russian oil deal if Trump will lift US/EU sanctions. These sanctions have crippled the Russian economy and hamstrung their oligarchy.

July 18, 2016 - Trump's team makes one tweak to the RNC platform: a pro-Russia softening of our stance on their invasion of Ukraine/Crimea.

July 22, 2016 - Wikileaks dumps the DNC emails on the eve of the Democratic National Convention, helping hold down Clinton's favorability among an incensed left and boosting Trump's RNC bump while holding Clinton to her lowest polling of the cycle.

July 27, 2016 - Trump tells the press that he would consider lifting sanctions on Russia and "jokingly" instructs Russia to continue to hack Clinton "if they're listening." It would be his last press conference of the election.

Now, of course, we know that:
    The hacking was directed by Russia to help Trump win the election.

Wikileaks timed their dumps to hurt Clinton's campaign.

What has the Trump team been up to since then?

Trump advisor Carter Page is under investigation for his ties to Russia. He's continued to visit Moscow in spite of that investigation.

The man who most likely offered Page the deal to offer to Trump was found dead from gun shot wounds in the back of his car in Moscow in December. The Russian state press has called his death a heart attack since the initial report (...in the back of his car, in an alley).

Trump advisor Paul Manafort, who left his official role as campaign chair last summer, is under investigation for his ties to Russia. Manafort reemerged after the election to advise Trump on cabinet positions...

Rex Tillerson, former Exxon CEO, emerged as a dark horse candidate for Secretary of State shortly thereafter. Tillerson has extensive business ties to Russian oil and lobbied for a reduction in sanctions while at Exxon. He has deep ties to the company that offered Carter Page the equity deal, may be hiding oil assets in offshore tax shelters as he has in the past, and has been awarded the Russian Order of Friendship honor by Putin.

Former military intelligence officer, and Trump's National Security Advisor, Gen. Michael Flynn was under investigation last week for his communications with Russia following a December increase in sanctions by Pres. Obama. The Trump team have defended those calls with various conflicting explanations.
    After getting kicked out of the Obama DIA for his insubordination and islamaphobia, Flynn - the veteran intelligence office, cozied up to Putin.

Finally there is Trump advisor Roger Stone - a former business partner to Paul Manafort who cut his teeth in politics as one of Nixon's dirty trixsters.
    Stone outed himself as a back-channel communicator between Wikileaks's Assagne and the Trump campaign back in November. In his spare time before the election, Stone led the charge to cement the election as rigged in case of a Clinton victory. He is also under investigation by US intelligence.
    From here.

Time will tell if it's true, but a respected former spy wouldn't go into hiding for a load of rubbish and Russia wouldn't be so insistent that it's fake if it really was that far-fetched; they wouldn't even comment on it.

And I am not watching all of them, but I assume Conan, Kimmel and Colbert will be also on the money.

Happy productive Monday! :cool:

Stephen Colbert is in particularly fine form recently on the Trump clown show.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

The very first line of my post was that the post you were responding to was unnecessarily hyperbolic, so obviously I'm not trying to paint the Republicans as "vile racists". Doesn't mean that the Republican Party should be let skate for the travesty unfolding before our eyes, they're the ones who have fostered the alt-right movement and are largely to blame for this culmination. The Democrats don't get a pass for undemocratic antics in their primaries either, but they're not the ones who largely endorsed, supported and voted for a grossly unqualified, dangerous, bigoted president.

At least we now know why Saudi Arabia is not on the list;
    We are concerned about the issue, Chuck, and that's why we put the seven countries initially into the executive order that were identified previously by Congress, by both the House and the Senate and the Obama administration as being the seven most watched countries in regard to harboring terrorists, but you bring up a good point. Perhaps other countries need to be added to an executive order going forward, but in order to do this in a way that was expeditious, in a way that would pass muster quickly, we used the seven countries that have already been codified and identified by both the Obama administration and the Congress.
    https://mediamatters.org/video/2017/01/29/chuck-todd-grills-white-house-chief-staff-reince-priebus-muslim-ban/215166

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

"But Obama"

So the same Obama administration Trump built his entire campaign around criticising everything about (especially the middle east) and the same Obama administration his supporters went to the ends of the earth to try to paint as the biggest disaster ever (especially regarding the middle east), are now the go-to experts the Trump administration are taking their cues from when it comes to the middle east?

Try pulling the other one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Trevor Noah again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

We must be due a quieter Trump week this week, after the nonsense of crowd sizes and God holding off the rain on Inauguration day and the redefinition of Lies as "Alternative Truths", we could have been excused for thinking week 2 would bring us a calmer more sensible time as Trump settled into the presidency and avoided too much outright confusion, consternation and conflict! Boy were we wrong, we launched into the Immigration EO and mass protests, mayhem at airports, and people having their legal rights to live and work in the US yanked out from beneath them while they were on planes or waiting in airports! Legal challenges in courts across the land, protests in arrivals and some political grandstanding from both sides. We did of course have Trump rebuke McCain and Graham for spending too much time trying to start WWIII and not focussing enough on terrorism, way to win GOP friends and influence them!

Surely this week has to be a week of consolidation, getting the cabinet confirmed and trying to avoid anymore antagonism, protest and the like, we will see. Despite some awful picks in there for Cabinet, none more so than Betsy Devos and Rex Tillerson, it seems certain that all bar perhaps Mrs Devos are going to get through as both McCain and Rubio have decided to bend the knee on Rex.

So what do we think will the runaway train continue down the hill amock, or will we settle down into something more presidential. Trumps kicked off his day with the usual brain fart that exudes forth from his king size bed in the White House each morning via his Android phone and into twitter, and gives us a first idea of his mood and thoughts for the coming day.

Also not to forget big news on Thurs at 8pm EST when Trump will announce his pick for the Supreme Court, this will tell us a lot about his mood, will it be someone mainstream enough for the Dem's or will he pick a real right winger that the Dem's will object to en-masse and fillibuster, setting up a potential sea change in the rules for Supreme Court confirmations where McConnell may remove the 60 vote requirement to force it through on a simple majority and eliminating the Fillibuster from the equation!

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/826041397232943104

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/826042483155013632

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/826044059647107073

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/826060143825666051

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/826063267760046080

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/826073437735100418

• Advertisement

He's quite right of course, especially on this one...

Why would they have waited for years or months to gain access, and then started suddenly to rush? Especially if it is limited to 90 days?

We must be due a quieter Trump week this week

Why? It's who he is! This is going to be non-stop for the next 4 years.

Wait for the screams from Republicans when he tries to defund NASA.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,938 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The trump presidency to me in PR terms is like sideshow bob stepping on all those rakes. It's been a disaster in that regard.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

No he's not.

Are these bad "dudes" just sat around waiting for last minute expensive flight tickets to be bought so they can get to the USA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

This is completely, totally bananas...
    President Trump on Monday signed an executive order aimed at rolling back regulations, fulfilling one of his campaign pledges.

Federal agencies will need to revoke two regulations for every new regulation they request. Administration officials told The Associated Press that they are calling the new directive a “one in, two out” plan.

The new executive order makes exceptions for emergencies and national security.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/316839-trump-to-sign-order-reducing-regulations

• Registered Users Posts: 39,938 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

B0jangles wrote: »

This whole week has been such a whirlwind I've never seen a week like it in politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

B0jangles wrote: »

It's utterly insane. Aside from the fact that consumer protections and environmental regulations will be targeted, the arbitrary 2 for 1 has no method or reason. There is nothing rational about this executive order other than it gives an insight into Trump's 'logic'. He really is looking more and more like a simpleton.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,938 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    The trump presidency to me in PR terms is like sideshow bob stepping on all those rakes. It's been a disaster in that regard.

The thing is, in your analogy, Bob's supporters would see the rakes as aggressors who can't take a loss. :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭rgossip30

The setting up of safe zones in Yemen and Syria is certainly a step in the right direction . The reason Saudi Arabia is not on the ban list .

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-saudi-idUSKBN15D14L

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement