Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

President 'The Donald' Trump and Surprising Consequences - Mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Requirements for residency vary vastly from State to State in the US and in most there is no requirement to inform the State if you have permanently moved away; so it's not illegal to be registered to vote in more than one State. Actually voting in more than one State is however illegal, as it is voter fraud.

Yeah, I understand that it's not illegal until you actually commit fraud, but trump is the one trying to link being registered to vote in multiple states with voter fraud. And lo and behold it turns out not only members of his close family, but the guy who supposedly actually has evidence of all this voter fraud, are registered to vote in multiple states.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Bazzo wrote: »
    Yeah, I understand that it's not illegal until you actually commit fraud, but trump is the one trying to link being registered to vote in multiple states with voter fraud. And lo and behold it turns out not only members of his close family, but the guy who supposedly actually has evidence of all this voter fraud, are registered to vote in multiple states.
    I don't disagree, my point was merely the President can call for an investigation into whatever he wants... the result of that investigation may be that nothing unlawful occurred.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I believe if you're registered to vote in one area and you then register in another, it's done by change of address, so afaik you shouldn't ever have two or more polling places.

Ok, So that's fine in Ireland. Its probably a different system in America where different states have different electoral registers entirely. Unless there is a way of automatically removing someone from their previous address when they register somewhere new, then anyone who is registered more than once is a symptom of a failure in bureaucracy and not proof of widespread voter fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I don't disagree, my point was merely the President can call for an investigation into whatever he wants... the result of that investigation may be that nothing unlawful occurred.

But that doesn't stop him from taking the results, and spinning it to make it look like it supports his claim.

We know that Trump doesn't care about facts when he's spinning a narrative.

Also, it's pretty obvious that the voter registers in the U.S. are out of date and need to be updated. Trump could very easily use this fact to rig his re-election.

Look at 'Crosscheck' which was a blunt hammer aimed at removing names from voter registers. Trump could implement something to clean the registers and then appoint people to do this who are highly motivated to remove likely democrat voters, and preserve likely republican voters names.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭rgossip30

The online petition in the UK against Trumps visit can be voted by anyone using a post code only !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

Five hours after president Trump was inaugurated he applied to be a candidate for the 2020 election. Why?

1:NGOs and non-profits can't legally criticize a presidential candidate.

2:In the latter part of the Trump campaign he fundraised by offering leases on properties. He can do likewise now, only the price will go up as it is the POTUS being bribed.

3:He can and has started SuperPACS and video ads. He has one claiming that the media and establishment are trying to undermine Trump's win. This is to shore up his base and insure division. He'll need this when he comes down HARD on the opposition (next protest).

• Registered Users Posts: 83,002 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

demfad wrote: »
    Five hours after president Trump was inaugurated he applied to be a candidate for the 2020 election. Why?

That shouldn't be surprising: most people who secure a first term generally wish to obtain a 2nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

rgossip30 wrote: »
    The online petition in the UK against Trumps visit can be voted by anyone using a post code only !!

But that's a petition, not a democratic vote?

Lux23 wrote: »

WRONG. It's a FAKE PETITION created by, and let me tell you about the people who created it, they're LIBERALS who want to TAKE YOUR JOBS FOLKS! And they've created this FAKE PETITION, and let me tell you why this is a BIG FAKE, but we're gonna let em have their petition folks, cuz we don't care do we? That's why we're gonna stop them from having their petition. And let me tell you, good friends of mine, some of them Jews and Mexicans, good people, have told me that 90, 98% of the people signing this petition are DEAD PEOPLE! These are some bad "dudes" folks. SAD.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭Harika

Lux23 wrote: »

You will see the alt-right circling over this like buzzards above a wounded animal. :pac: Not that it is a binding petition to do anything, you can see it as activism or trolling, depending on where you stand. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

Overheal wrote: »
    That shouldn't be surprising: most people who secure a first term generally wish to obtain a 2nd.

That usually happens within a year of the upcoming election. It is unheard of to do 5 hours after inaugeration..

trump's disapproval ratings continue to soar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Sometimes gvt had to make tough calls. They can't always be liked so the rating of Trump at this stage is early days. He is bound to have high disapproval given the hysteria in the liberal ranks. They still have not gotten over the election result.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,568 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

You can hear it already...fake news.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭rgossip30

The media has an absolute negative tone in articles about Trump . I mean is half a newspaper of comments and editorials about him really necessary , just filling space .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

The media has an absolute negative tone in articles about Trump . I mean is half a newspaper of comments and editorials about him really necessary , just filling space .

Can't blame them, after all they (Trump admin) see the media as the enemy. Insutling and denigrating people is not the way to make friends, and some people are capable of standing up to a bully like Trump.

Media talks, loudly, about Steve Bannon's call to "shut up"

Trumps admin have picked a fight and are getting one. Sure, there is video at one of his rallys with his supporters recycling Nazi propoganda against the media, and Trump has also encouraged out right hostility to the media.

Found a link:
    Donald Trump Supporters Are Using a Nazi Word to Attack Journalists

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Perhaps the tone will change when he does something that does not upset so many people. Anyway he is only the mouth piece for his policy makers. I am sure he can take the criticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Just heard that Trump has introduced a bill to make the minimum wage for H1B visa holders $130k a year.

Need to check that obvs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭Harika

Just heard that Trump has introduced a bill to make the minimum wage for H1B visa holders $130k a year.

Need to check that obvs.

If this is real a lot of people like from our company would be in trouble as they moved office to us on that visa. And a lot of Irish too,as they earn less than 100 grand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Surely the biggest surprise is that Trump has allowed himself to be used by a previously obscure anti Semitic, misogynist and far right nationalist who used to run some website I and most others had never even heard of until last year to become the power behind the throne.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,938 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I mean the acting AG being sacked was bad enough but I found the tone and content of the press release to be worse. It had all the hallmarks of steve bannon. It was petty and nasty and there was no need for it.

Does anyone here listen/watch Keith olbermann ? He's not a fan of trump at all.

How is it suprising that people are calling it a Muslim ban when during the campaign trump stated clearly he wanted a ban on Muslims coming into the USA and the seven countries that are banned are majority Muslim countries.

It's baffling to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,938 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Also this whole mess is doing the work for Isis. They can say "look the west are against the Muslim world" this has not made America any safer despite what he may think.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Also this whole mess is doing the work for Isis. They can say "look the west are against the Muslim world" this has not made America any safer despite what he may think.

That is just inaccurate. The Jihadists have been targeting the west long before Trump and they are more likely to attack America for this reason.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/01/palestinians-decry-israel-settlement-bill-170130153602119.html

Although a note of caution for those reading Al Jazeera is a voice of one branch of Islam so even they don't speak for all Muslims.

But of course lets all watch Trump playing bad cop and actually trying to defend his country.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭Christy42

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    That is just inaccurate. The Jihadists have been targeting the west long before Trump and they are more likely to attack America for this reason.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/01/palestinians-decry-israel-settlement-bill-170130153602119.html

But of course lets all watch Trump playing bad cop and actually trying to defend his country.

You are arguing against an argument that was never made.

The poster said that Trump is propoganda for ISIS. That his policies so far will help their cause.

I worry if he is actually trying to defend America with that ban given it bears very little relation to where ISIS terrorists are likely to come from.

Christy42 wrote: »

The poster said that Trump is propoganda for ISIS. That his policies so far will help their cause.

I worry if he is actually trying to defend America with that ban given it bears very little relation to where ISIS terrorists are likely to come from.

He should ban Saudi and Pakistanis from coming i completely agree. They are a security risk.

Christy42 wrote: »
    That's not a bug, it's a feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,568 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

http://news.sky.com/story/trump-travel-ban-softens-as-us-allows-in-800-refugees-10750567?dcmp=snt-sf-twitter

Looks like he is buckling under pressure. 872 refugees will be allowed to enter the US this week.

Gintonious wrote: »
    http://news.sky.com/story/trump-travel-ban-softens-as-us-allows-in-800-refugees-10750567?dcmp=snt-sf-twitter

Looks like he is buckling under pressure. 872 refugees will be allowed to enter the US this week.
    Fox News must have said something negative about it. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭Christy42

Gintonious wrote: »

In fairness it has already chopped and changed. As soon as it went up every country wanted exceptions for its dual citizens and a fair few got them. If this had been intended it would have been in from the start. It is a hilariously stupid idea. The only way it could be intelligent if it is a distraction from something else. It will be blasted away by campaigners in the coming days. People need to keep fighting any stupid executive orders as soon as they come out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭joejoe87

Anyone else got the feeling that Trump will be assassinated? Not only has he pissed off his own intelligence services but he's also started a war on Islam and infuriated the Mexicans. I wouldn't be surprised if an illegal immigrant who has little to lose takes a shot at him. His hotels would make an easy target too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement